Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So qualification is drawing to a close, here are the games in the penultimate round...

Thursday

Group D

Georgia v Gibraltar
Ireland v Germany
Scotland v Poland

Group F
Hungary v Faroe Islands
Northern Ireland v Greece
Romania v Finland

Group I
Albania v Serbia
Portugal v Denmark

Friday

Group C

Macedonia v Ukraine
Slovakia v Belarus
Spain v Luxembourg

Group E
England v Estonia
Slovenia v Lithuania
Switzerland v San Marino

Group G
Liechtenstein v Sweden
Moldova v Russia
Montenegro v Austria

Saturday

Group A

Iceland v Latvia
Kazakhstan v Netherlands
Czech Republic v Turkey

Group H
Azerbaijan v Italy
Norway v Malta
Croatia v Bulgaria

Group B
Andorra v Belgium
Bosnia v Wales
Israel v Cyprus

Kick-off times vary..

It certainly will after what happened last time!

Ireland can secure at least a play-off place with a win over either Germany or Poland, two tough games though, Scotland can still do it but need a lot to happen as they are four points off a play-off place.

Northern Ireland need a win against bottom of the group Greece to qualify but are missing two key players through suspension and Jonny Evans is injured, it will be their first major tournament since the 1986 World Cup if they get there.

Wales are soooo nearly there! A point in Bosnia should do it but second place Belgium have an easy game in Andorra, although we are at home to Andorra in our last game so it should even itself out.

England have of course already qualified, Rooney is a major doubt for the Estonia game after missing training twice this week with a knee problem, Stones has pulled out with Walker called up as his replacement.

It doesn't seem like there is much anyone can do to stop Lewandowski in this sort of form, he might beat Ronaldo and Messi to the Ballon d'Or if he keeps this up.

Good grief, we scored :eek:

Scotland are getting thrashed 1-1

edit: :lol: Me of little faith...

Last edited:
Anyone notice Irelands little upset :lol:
Oh yeah I noticed it. What a great night for Irish international football. We have few highlights so this is one to remember. Hopefully we can secure automatic qualification on Sunday against Poland.

Also, well done to Northern Ireland for qualifying for Euro 2016.

I am half Irish from my dad's side so at least I can claim that as a win over the Germans. :lol:

great set of results for the Home Nations, Massive congratulations to Northern Ireland for qualifying for their first major tournament in 27 years, really happy for them! 👍:)

Very rarely I have seen teams win games with their possession stats in the 30s but the possession in last night's Ireland-Germany game was 28/72.

That's the lowest figure I've ever seen from a winning side. Great game; Germany bottled it but Ireland's resiliance was exceptional.

So I knew Estonia has cultural similarities to Finland, I didn't know they shared a national anthem..

Massive day for Wales in two Sports, first in the Rugby World Cup its Australia v Wales to see who tops the group and just three hours after that game kicks off its Bosnia v Wales with Wales needing a point to qualify for our first major tournament since 1958, this is quite possibly the biggest day in the history of Welsh Sport!

Yeah that's right, Ireland v France and then Poland v Ireland isn't it??

Here are the games for the next two days...

Sunday

Group F
Faroe Islands v Romania
Finland v Northern Ireland
Greece v Hungary

Group I
Armenia v Albania
Serbia v Portugal

Group D
Germany v Georgia
Gibraltar v Scotland
Poland v Ireland

Monday

Group G

Austria v Liechtenstein
Russia v Montenegro
Sweden v Moldova

Group C
Belarus v Macedonia
Luxembourg v Slovakia
Ukraine v Spain

Group E
Estonia v Switzerland
Lithuania v England
San Marino v Slovenia

Kick off times vary.

It's a miracle.

The Netherlands have won a game! 2-1 against Kazakhstan.

Edit.

Turkey just beat the Czechs 2-0 and only need a draw against Iceland to reach the play offs. The Netherlands don't have it under their own control anymore.

24 countries out of 53 go to the tournament. And Oranje is close to missing out.

Hurray for Hiddink. Hurray for Blind. Hurray for the KNVB.

Last edited:
Have a nice time...

dawson_crying.jpg

Oh wait, that's my favourite patriotic Welsh language song. This is our Euro 2016 anthem:

PARTY TIME, BABY!

Only we can lose and still qualify! :lol:

Seriously it's an incredible achievement and I'm absolutely over the moon, Coleman deserves most of the credit, I was doubter before but I'm a believer now, doesn't matter about the result, it'll be party time in Cardiff on Tuesday! :D:D:D:cheers:

We should dedicate this to Gary Speed as he laid the foundations for this.

For You Speedo...

Only we can lose and still qualify! :lol:

Seriously it's an incredible achievement and I'm absolutely over the moon, Coleman deserves most of the credit, I was doubter before but I'm a believer now, doesn't matter about the result, it'll be party time in Cardiff on Tuesday! :D:D:D:cheers:

We should dedicate this to Gary Speed as he laid the foundations for this.

For You Speedo...
Party in Belgium too, first time we qualified for the Euros since 1984 :eek:

Party in Belgium too, first time we qualified for the Euros since 1984 :eek:

Say what now?

Coincidentally we'll be missing* the Euros for the first time since 1984. :lol:

*there's still a small change of reaching the play offs.

Say what now?

Coincidentally we'll be missing* the Euros for the first time since 1984. :lol:

*there's still a small change of reaching the play offs.
Edit: brainfart.

Last edited:
Fun fact, in 1984 the Dutch didn't qualify neither.

That's what I'm saying. The last time we didn't qualify was for the 84 tournament.

Edit.

After the game against Kazakhstan we lost first goalie Cillessen due to a back injury, sustained during the warmup, and second goalie Krul, injured during the game. Both are not fit for the final game against the Czechs. Cillessen isn't fit enough, and Krul is out for the rest of the season with a torn knee ligament.

Replacements are Stekelenburg and Vermeer.

Last edited:
Belgium joint-hosted it in 2000, no?

Anyway. First time in my lifetime that Wales have qualified for a tournament.
First time in my parents' lifetimes that Wales have qualified for a tournament.
My grandparents were 9 and 10 when it last happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back