Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney looks overjoyed after equalling Bobby Charlton's record.

image.jpg

Rooney looks overjoyed after equalling Bobby Charlton's record.
In fact as of today's result, England has three all-time joint top scorers now, each on 49 goals.

Sir Bobby Charlton (thank you very much), Wayne Rooney and Own Goals.

Own goals, been about as useful in the league for Manchester United as Wayne Rooney has too.

So, can we get club football back yet?

League One downwards was business as usual this weekend. All depends which clubs interest you, I guess. 💡

Went as predicted for England yesterday then but congrats to Rooney and I thought the Kane goal was definitely pick of the bunch..

..also, COME ON WAAALLLLEESSS!!!!!!!!

Wales 0-0 Israel at HT, Wales the better team but Israel making it tough for us..

0-0 full time, we had a goal ruled out for offside in the last 10 seconds, we needed a win to qualify but can still do it if Belgium fail to beat Cyprus which is highly unlikely of course, if that doesn't happen then we need 2 points from Bosnia and Andorra..

3-0.

4th place in the group. And a group of death it is.

facepalmu.gif
Knew Netherlands would struggle even though dominating the possession they don't have a striker who can convert the chances. Van Persie is no longer the player he was at the World cup.

van Persie rarely is a great player when playing for the Netherlands.

But then again, Promes, Bruma, Narsingh and a couple of other players should have no place in the squad. Just as the coach.

Inclusion of Bruma and Narsingh is probably down to them performing so well for PSV and Quincy Promes has been on fire for Spartak since he arrived there last season. I am surprised he didn't include Locadia.

Nothing wrong with the lineup and I can't think of anything I would change in his squad but in the end it is down to his tactics.

Knew Netherlands would struggle even though dominating the possession they don't have a striker who can convert the chances. Van Persie is no longer the player he was at the World cup.
With the exception of that stunner did he even do anything at the world cup?

Last second goal correctly ruled out for offside. My heart nearly burst.

Wales will do this. Together, stronger. Cymru am byth!

With the exception of that stunner did he even do anything at the world cup?
Were you watching the same World Cup as me? He was clearly one of the best natural strikers of the tournament as he scored the same amount of goals as Messi and had a better goal to minutes played ratio.

0-0 full time, we had a goal ruled out for offside in the last 10 seconds, we needed a win to qualify but can still do it if Belgium fail to beat Cyprus which is highly unlikely of course, if that doesn't happen then we need 2 points from Bosnia and Andorra..
0-1 in the 85th minute :D

1 point between us now no?

Were you watching the same World Cup as me? He was clearly one of the best natural strikers of the tournament as he scored the same amount of goals as Messi and had a better goal to minutes played ratio.
It may have just slipped my mind but I could have sworn Holland went like 200 minutes without scoring. Not including the penalty shootout.

It may have just slipped my mind but I could have sworn Holland went like 200 minutes without scoring. Not including the penalty shootout.
Yes, won on penalties against Costa Rica and lost to Argentina but for the 3rd place they went on to win 3-0 against Brazil. Robben was really the person in the spotlight for the Netherlands as he contributed to nearly every goal while scoring some himself.

Northern Ireland will qualify with a win at home to Hungary tonight, Ireland at home to Georgia and Scotland at home to world champs Germany also..

A draw for Northern Ireland last night at least keeps them top of the group, Ireland beat Georgia and Scotland gave it a go against Germany beat lost 2-3, England v Switzerland tonight..

Teams qualified so far:
England
Czech Republic
Austria
Iceland

Ice... Iceland?!

It's Iceland's first ever major tournament, having missed out on the 2014 World Cup by a playoff match with Croatia. Go Iceland.

Austria's unusual too. Austria has never qualified for a European Championship Finals - only getting to 2008 by virtue of hosting it...

Austria have qualified for several World Cups, mind.

But yeah, go Iceland. Really made up for them. Being a fan of underdogs, it's great to see a 'small' team ruffle feathers.

Croatia has kicked their coach to the kerb, after a 0-0 draw and a 2-0 loss this round they dropped to 3rd place.

So another International break is upon us with the final round of qualifiers, England and Wales have today named their squads and here they are...

Wales

Hennnesey, Ward, Fon Williams, A Williams, Davies, Chester, Collins, Gunter, Taylor, Richards Henley, Allen, Ramsey, Edwards, King, Ledley, Huws, J Williams, Vaughan, Robson-Kanu, Church, Cotterill, Lawrence, Vokes, Bale

Bale in the squad despite carrying a calf injury..

--------------------------------------------------

England

Butland, Hart, Heaton, Bertrand, Cahill, Clyne, Gibbs, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Stones, Alli, Barkley, Carrick, Lallana, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shelvey, Sterling, Ings, Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Walcott

Congrats to Dele Alli and Danny Ings on winning first call ups, Bertrand back in, no place for Sturridge despite his recovery from his hip injury..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back