Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whereas 78 cap Aiden McGeady has flattered to deceive for his entire Ireland career.

After less than a year, Hiddink is out!

So, now we have the Blind leading the blind.

Why not wait till Qualy is over in October to sack him?, seems strange to do it now....

Why not wait till Qualy is over in October to sack him?, seems strange to do it now....

Because the Netherlands have been absolute 🤬. Why be 🤬 for another 6 months?

Guud Riddince.

B0UwmLsCYAATXiW.png

Yeah but what if Blind doesn't get them to France next year...what then??

Yeah but what if Blind doesn't get them to France next year...what then??

Hire. Ronald. Koeman.

I'm sure @Dennisch can tell you but this has been the KNVB's plan ever since van Gaal left; Hiddink was an interim manager until Danny Blind takes over properly. That plan has been brought forward due to performances better suited for the Hoofdklasse. Dutch fourth division.

It's a plan which hasn't worked so far and most likely won't work at all. Sucks to be an Oranje fan these days. And I say 'these days' with it being less than a year ago that some of their best football in years was on show in Brazil.

Would Koeman want to leave Southampton now when he is doing such a good job there though? I don't think so...

Would Koeman want to leave Southampton now when he is doing such a good job there though? I don't think so...

To manage your country's national team? In principle, you're damn right he would.

But in order to stick it to the KNVB Koeman might very well turn down any future approaches.

Can't add anything to @Liquid's logic.

Koeman should wait until Blind screws up royally and then hand over a serious list of demands.

FIFA rankings have been updated, Wales are now the 10th best team in the World, no you haven't read that wrong and I'm not making it up!

FIFA rankings have been updated, Wales are now the 10th best team in the World, no you haven't read that wrong and I'm not making it up!
Above Spain! :lol: I don't know how they calculate these rankings but England and Wales really shouldn't be above Spain.

Above Spain! :lol: I don't know how they calculate these rankings but England and Wales really shouldn't be above Spain.

I don't know how Argentina jump to number one considering they actually lost the Copa American final.

But Wales being 10th? Our highest ranking ever? After being 117th in 2011? Get in there.

I don't know how Argentina jump to number one considering they actually lost the Copa American final.
It's because they won major ranking tournament matches in the highest-rated continent against highly ranked teams in order to get there.

You get 3pt for a win (2 if won by penalties), multiplied by the importance of the match (3 for continental finals), multiplied by the strength of the confederation (1 for CONMEBOL, 0.99 for UEFA), multipled by the strength of the opposition ([200 minus opposition ranking]/100 - to a minimum of a half), multiplied by how recent the match is (1 for matches in the last 12 months).

So for that final match, Chile would have gained:
2 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-3]/100) pt = 11.82pt

But for losing the final match - on penalties - Argentina would have gained:
1 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-19]/100] pt = 5.43pt

In fact for the tournament, Argentina scored:
R1 (D - Paraguay): 1 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-85]/100) pt = 3.45pt
R1 (W - Uruguay): 3 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-8]/100) pt = 17.28pt
R1 (W - Jamaica): 3 x 3 x 1 x 0.925 x ([200-65]/100) pt = 11.24pt
Quarter (W - Colombia, Pens): 2 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-4]/100) pt = 11.76pt
Semi (W - Paraguay): 3 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-85]/100) pt = 10.35pt
Final (L - Chile, Pens): 1 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-19]/100] pt = 5.43pt
Total = 59.51pt

While Chile scored:
R1 (W - Ecuador): 3 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-31]/100) pt = 15.21pt
R1 (D - Mexico): 1 x 3 x 1 x 0.925 x ([200-23]/100) pt = 4.91pt
R1 (W - Bolivia): 3 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-89]/100) pt = 9.99pt
Quarter (W - Uruguay): 3 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-8]/100) pt = 17.28pt
Semi (W - Peru): 3 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-61]/100) pt = 12.51pt
Final (W - Argentina, Pens): 2 x 3 x 1 x 1 x ([200-3]/100) pt = 11.82pt
Total = 71.72pt

Wales are only two coefficient/ranking points behind England. Two. If only England hadn't beaten Slovenia, we would be ahead of them...

Have Wales played more games or something? England have won all of their qualifying matches so far and were above Wales prior to the start of Euro 2016 qualification so how has it closed up? The teams in England's group must be considered much weaker.

Have Wales played more games or something? England have won all of their qualifying matches so far and were above Wales prior to the start of Euro 2016 qualification so how has it closed up? The teams in England's group must be considered much weaker.
Probably because of Belgium being in their group, would get Wales some proper points.

Argentina probably are number 1 mainly because Germany's pre-WC form is getting discounted.

The teams in England's group include Lithuania, Estonia and San Marino, so yes England have the easier group...

Wales move up to 9th in the World Rankings. Above France, Italy, Spain and now... the Netherlands. Ongelooflijk, Jeff!

I mean, I hate FIFA but did I ever say how much I love them too?

It does. The latest top 10 is:

1. Argentina
2. Belgium
3. Germany
4. Colombia
5. Brazil
6. Portugal
7. Romania
8. England
9. Wales
10. Chile

I want to congratulate the FAW on learning how to give/take bribes without getting caught.

FAI, take note.

Last edited:
What the! When did Romania sneak in?
Was just thinking the same thing, they didn't even make the 2014 WC and off the top of my head I can only name one of their current players, Chiriches (hardly Gerard Pique).

What the! When did Romania sneak in?
A while ago I think, they sort of followed Belgium and Switzerland towards the top 10 in qualifying for the World Cup because they had a strong qualifying group and as all the top nations are faltering, they just remained there.(or maybe it was more recent)
Was just thinking the same thing, they didn't even make the 2014 WC and off the top of my head I can only name one of their current players, Chiriches (hardly Gerard Pique).
They also have Pantilimon and Florian Gardos, but I don't know of any other players for Romania.

The real question is will Romania pull a Greece at the European championships.

I can remember when Romania was a team that could spark some fear into their opponents.

The first International break of the season is upon us as qualification draws to a close and a few of the home nations have named their squads..

Wales....Hennessey, Ward, Fon Williams, Williams, Chester, Collins, Davies, Gunter, Taylor, Henley, Richards, King, Ledley, Ramsey, J Williams, Edwards, MacDonald, Bale, Robson-Kanu, Vokes, Church, Cotterill and Lawrence

Wales are away to Cyprus and then at home to Israel.

Scotland...Gordon, Marshall, McGregor, Berra, Forsyth, Greer, Hanley, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Robertson, Whittaker, Anya, Armstrong, Brown, Fletcher, Forrest, Maloney, Morrison, McArthur, Ritchie, Russell, Fletcher, Griffiths, C Martin and Naismith

Scotland are away to Georgia and then at home to Germany.

Northern Ireland...Carroll, McGovern, Manus, Hughes, Baird, McAuley, Evans, Cathcart, Ferguson, McLaughlin, McNair, Hodson, Davies, C Evans, Norwood, McCourt, Dallas, Reeves, Lafferty, Magennis, Grigg, McGinn, Ward, Lavery and Boyce

N.Ireland are away to the Faroes and at home to Hungary

Roy Hodgson has delayed naming his England team until the weekends league games as there are a few injury problems to sort out first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back