Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
But Oranje is performing very poorly. Hiddink has lost it.

B9gqNK2CMAA2BQx.jpg:large

Missed opportunity.

Edit.

They can't beat Turkey if their lives depended on it, but in a friendly they just beat Spain 2-0.

Last edited:
England were ok last night, I know friendlies are meant for experimenting with your team but I thought Roy took it a little too far last night, England only got better once Carrick was on the pitch and Rooney was upfront..

Barkley and Townsend also had a good impact when they came on. The young talent emerging is very promising for the England national team. We also have a good mix of youth and experience.

So how is your nation doing at the halfway stage? I'm pretty happy so far. Keep it up, lads.

Group B

1st Belgium P5 W3 D2 L0 +12 11pts
2nd Wales P5 W3 D2 L0 +5 11pts
---
3rd Israel P5 W3 D0 L2 +3 9pts
4th Cyprus P5 W2 D0 L3 -1 6pts
5th Bosnia-HG P5 W1 D2 L2 -1 5pts
6th Andorra P5 W0 D0 L5 -18 0pts

England were ok last night, I know friendlies are meant for experimenting with your team but I thought Roy took it a little too far last night, England only got better once Carrick was on the pitch and Rooney was upfront..
At least he knows to never play Jones in that position again, I'd rather him learn that in a friendly than a game in the Euros.

Townsend has looked decent in an England shirt before but for his club nothing special, the complete opposite of most England internationals.

So how is your nation doing at the halfway stage? I'm pretty happy so far. Keep it up, lads.

Group B

1st Belgium P5 W3 D2 L0 +12 11pts
2nd Wales P5 W3 D2 L0 +5 11pts
---
3rd Israel P5 W3 D0 L2 +3 9pts
4th Cyprus P5 W2 D0 L3 -1 6pts
5th Bosnia-HG P5 W1 D2 L2 -1 5pts
6th Andorra P5 W0 D0 L5 -18 0pts

Scotland are doing pretty well in a tough group for us... we've scored more goals and have a better goal difference than Germany, but are behind in the table on the basis that GD does not decide position this time around, but it goes on Head-to-Head record with the team you are even with on points, hence why Germany currently have 2nd spot. 1 point from the top of the table at the turn is alot better than most people probably would have thought...

1 Poland P5 3 2 0 11 pts
2 Germany P5 3 1 1 10 pts
3 Scotland P5 3 1 1 10 pts
4 R. of Ireland P5 2 2 1 8 pts
5 Georgia P5 1 0 4 3 pts
6 Gibraltar P5 0 0 5 0 pts

It should go on GD or GF/GA instead of coming down to a couple of games which could be determined by a bad refereeing decision.

It annoys me that GD is calculated and displayed if it isn't the first tiebreaker. It should always be the first tiebreaker. We have head to heads instead of GD in my futsal league too, very odd.

I think head-to-head makes more sense - if Germany and Scotland finish tied on points but Germany beat Scotland twice (let's face it, this is quite likely) it doesn't make alot of sense to send Scotland through over Germany just because they whipped Gibraltar by more goals than Germany whipped Gibraltar.

Last edited:
I think head-to-head makes more sense - if Germany and Scotland finish tied on points but Germany beat Scotland twice (let's face it, this is quite likely) it doesn't make alot of sense to send Scotland through over Germany just because they whipped Gibraltar by more goals than Germany whipped Gibraltar.
I suppose it makes more sense with this format with fewer games being played and the difference in quality between the top and bottom teams being so large.

Did they not used to forget about the matches against the bottom placed team on account of it always being a minnow like San Marino/Faroes/Gibraltar?

Did they not used to forget about the matches against the bottom placed team on account of it always being a minnow like San Marino/Faroes/Gibraltar?
That's only used to distinguish between the 3rd place teams in different groups.

They still do that and the reason for it being that one of the groups only have 5 teams so to make it fair for them, the results against the 6th placed team in the other groups is not counted :)

So the next batch of qualifiers take place at the start of June and Roy Hodgson has named a 24 man England squad to take on Slovenia and a friendly against Ireland and here it is..

Keepers
Rob Green, Joe Hart, Tom Heaton

Defenders
Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathanial Clyne, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling

Midfielders
Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Ryan Mason, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshire

Forwards
Charlie Austin, Wayne Rooney, Jamie Vardy, Danny Welbeck

Burnley's Tom Heaton, QPR's Charlie Austin and Leicester's Jamie Vardy all get their first call-ups, no Butland or Kane as they are in the U21 squad for their tournament, Shaw, Forster and Ox-Chamberlain are injured...

Would have liked to have seen Deeney get a call up instead of Vardy, he's been a consistent goal scorer and has had about 10 assists this season.

Vardy has had a good first season in the Prem though, and its another rags to riches type story like Rickie Lambert, Vardy was playing for FC Halifax this time four years ago and also played for Fleetwood....Charlie Austin previously played for non league teams like Poole Town and Harrogate and was a brick layer at the same time, Lambert once worked in a beetroot factory!

In would have also liked to have seen Ashley Young in the squad. He's had a great season for United and really deserves a call up.

In would have also liked to have seen Ashley Young in the squad. He's had a great season for United and really deserves a call up.
He doesn't just deserve it, he should be a permanent fixture for at least a while. Woy not calling him up is a crime. Probably has nothing to do with his ex-Liverpool status at all...oh, no

He doesn't just deserve it, he should be a permanent fixture for at least a while. Woy not calling him up is a crime. Probably has nothing to do with his ex-Liverpool status at all...oh, no
Which is probably why Sterling and Lallana are both in the squad as well.

No James Collins for our qualifier against Belgium.

Damn. He is a big loss for us.

Scotland v Qatar in a friendly tonight, when Qatar played Ireland last week they were met with chants like 'shall we take a bribe for you' from Irish fans, match ended 2-2...

Ireland had a pre-warm up warm up last night. They drew 0-0 with Northern Ireland ahead of their friendly against England on Sunday, before their game next Saturday against Scotland.

There's a streaker at the Scotland v Qatar match :lol:

edit: And now it's 1-0 Scotland! Was it the naked super-sub??

I like the Netherlands. I really do. I'm very interested in the history and I wish I could speak the language better. Their footballing history is littered with heroes and favourites.

But every time I see the national team failing under Hiddink, I can't help but want to put up photos of a smug Ronald Koeman. Again.

B0UwmLsCYAATXiW.png

I can't wait for Hiddink to be kicked out, Blind taking over and everything will go even further downhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back