Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wales team....Hennessey, Gunter, Williams, Chester, Taylor, Allen, Cotterill, Ramsey, Ledley, Bale, Robson-Kanu

Belgium...Courtois, Alderwiereld, Lombaerts, Vertonghen, Vanden Borre, Witsel, Felliani, De Bruyne, Hazard, Chadli, Origi

....don't have so much faith after seeing those teams!

Match about to start....C'MON WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belgium 0-0 Wales, fantastic result for Wales!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Half-time for Italy vs Croatia 1-1
Croatia have been pretty dominant throughout the first half, despite losing Modrić
Italy scored though a counter-attack, Croatia scored mainly through poor goalkeeping from Buffon

Fun fact: Italy have only beaten Croatia once, and that was back in 1942

btw: Scotland Vs Ireland was pretty intense also...

Last edited:
Wales team....Hennessey, Gunter, Williams, Chester, Taylor, Allen, Cotterill, Ramsey, Ledley, Bale, Robson-Kanu

Belgium...Courtois, Alderwiereld, Lombaerts, Vertonghen, Vanden Borre, Witsel, Felliani, De Bruyne, Hazard, Chadli, Origi

....don't have so much faith after seeing those teams!

Match about to start....C'MON WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belgium 0-0 Wales, fantastic result for Wales!! :D:D:D
Darn, was looking forward to this game the whole day and then it ends 0-0...
Our last pass was horrible today, gotta practice on those crosses again i suppose.

Match suspended in the 75th minute-Croatian fans throwing flares onto the ground :grumpy:

edit: Match has resumed

Full-time, 1-1. The match suspension hampered Croatia's momentum, although they nearly snatched victory at the end with a narrow miss across goal.
Both teams remain undefeated and top group H (Croatia are first by goal difference)

Last edited:
0-0

I am very happy with that point for Wales. I thought Bosnia would be our rivals for 2nd place, but they fell to a 3-0 defeat against Israel. Israel are top with a game in hand! Our two games against them are critical.

Last edited:
So Friendlies tomorrow then with some big games, there's Germany v Spain, Portugal v Argentina and of course Scotland v England...

I would love to see Israel make it to EURO. Would be very impressed as they haven't made any regional competition since 1968.

I would love to see Israel make it to EURO. Would be very impressed as they haven't made any regional competition since 1968.

They're in Wales' group so all I care is that they beat Belgium and we beat them. It does annoy me somewhat that Israel are in the European football confederations but that's a delicate political decision and won't be changing anytime soon.

They're in Wales' group so all I care is that they beat Belgium and we beat them. It does annoy me somewhat that Israel are in the European football confederations but that's a delicate political decision and won't be changing anytime soon.
Yes it is. They were in the AFC but were tossed out due to their neighbors.

England's squad for the Lithuania match.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

Same sort of England squad as before but Harry Kane is in it, Ashley Young should most definitely be there ahead of Townsend, who was subbed after just half an hour in the United-Spurs game on Sunday..

Danny Rose and Ryan Bertrand really should be there.

I don't know how Barkley and Townsend have been picked. Ah well, at least I don't support them. :P

Danny Rose and Ryan Bertrand really should be there.

I don't know how Barkley and Townsend have been picked. Ah well, at least I don't support them. :P

Barkley is a great promise, but just like the rest of Everton squad, he is not doing good on this season, so they probaly picked him only because of his future talent. Andy Townsend being called up is one of the universe misteries.

Townsend has looked decent in an England shirt before but for his club nothing special, the complete opposite of most England internationals.

Danny Rose gets a call up after Luke Shaw pulls out due to hamstring injury, Forster pulls out too after being subbed off in the Southampton Burnley game earlier, Rob Green takes his place, not sure about that one, he has picked a keeper who has mostly picked the ball out of his own net this season...

To be fair, Rob Green has been making some fantastic saves this season, it's mostly his defence letting him down.

I'd probably place him above Ben Foster as 3rd choice for England behind Forster and Hart.

The Euro Qualfiers are back and here is the schedule for this weekend

Friday
Group C

Macedonia v Belarus
Slovakia v Luxembourg
Spain v Ukraine

Group E
England v Lithuania
Slovenia v San Marino
Switzerland v Estonia

Group G
Liechtenstein v Austria
Moldova v Sweden
Montenegro v Russia

Saturday
Group A

Kazakhstan v Iceland
Czech Republic v Latvia
Netherlands v Turkey

Group B
Israel v Wales
Andorra v Bosnia
Belgium v Cyprus

Group H
Azerbaijan v Malta
Croatia v Norway
Bulgaria v Italy

Sunday
Group D

Georgia v Germany
Scotland v Gibraltar
Ireland v Poland

Group I
Portugal v Serbia
Albania v Armenia

Group F
Northern Ireland v Finland
Romania v Faroe Islands
Hungary v Greece

Next Tuesday
Israel v Belgium

So England just beat Lithuania 4-0 with Harry Kane getting his first goal just 79 seconds in to his debut, other goals were by Rooney, Sterling and Welbeck (might be an own goal that one), Lithuania were terrible though...

Elsewhere the Montenegro-Russia game was temporarily suspended after Russian Keeper Igor Akinfeev was struck on the back of his head by a flare thrown from the crowd....

Last edited:
Very proud to be a Welshman right now, stunning free kick by Bale :D:D

The Netherlands are seeing the results of having someone who should have retired in front of the group.

Hiddink has called on people who barely play. Afellay. Narsingh.

And now it 0-1 against Turkey. With a couple of minutes to go.

Scotland to ease past Gibraltar, Northern Ireland have a tricky tie against Finland..

So friendlies tonight, two games are the pick of the bunch and that's Holland v Spain and Italy v England

One qualifier on tonight and its Israel v Belgium which was postponed from last September due to the political and terrorist situation there, the game will interest Wales greatly!

I have a feeling that tonight will determine whether Kane is the "saviour" of English football or if we've put too much pressure on him...

Will be a bit of a step up from Lithuania who had a League One standard defence and Italy will have Bonnuci and Cheilini..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back