Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland got a last minute equaliser against Germany :embarrassed: Scotland are now ahead of Germany on goal difference :lol:

Germany do have a home win against the Scots they can be proud of. Even if it's only a fraction of the pride most of the home nations are feeling right now.

And well done to Albania and Serbia. Both very nearly made it through to half time without heated relations sparking a pitch brawl and the ultimate match abandonment.

I just don't get why the FIFA doesn't mandate this kind of games to be played behind closed doors.

I just don't get why the FIFA doesn't mandate this kind of games to be played behind closed doors.

As this was a home fixture for Serbia, they banned Albania fans.

The Albanians used a freaking drone to get a banner/flag into the stadium. Closed door friendly wouldn't have stopped that anyway.

Portugal were lucky against Denmark, with a last minute goal. Neither team deserved to win, in my opinion.

Still too soon to tell if a new coach (Fernando Santos) will be enough to turn this team around and stop the embarassing performances.

As this was a home fixture for Serbia, they banned Albania fans.

The Albanians used a freaking drone to get a banner/flag into the stadium. Closed door friendly wouldn't have stopped that anyway.

I thought I read that it was possibly smuggled into the VIP area. But anyway, it wouldn't have escalated behind closed doors.

Good few days for the home nations, Wales drew and won both their games, England won both games, Northern Ireland won both games, Scotland won and drew their games and Ireland won and drew their games, no losses.....

The only remarkable thing about England's game right now are the five successive clean sheets. Though not as sprightly as some of the other home teams in recent matches.

Good few days for the home nations, Wales drew and won both their games, England won both games, Northern Ireland won both games, Scotland won and drew their games and Ireland won and drew their games, no losses.....

Except Gibraltar. I mean, if you're classing ROI as a home nation...

@Akmuq Home Nations is a term which refers to the countries which make up the United Kingdom, i.e. Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England. Gibraltar matches that definition more than the Republic of Ireland does.

Unless of course, we're looking at one Ireland united under British rule...

Last edited:
Liquid, there was a tournament a few years ago called the nations cup (or something like that) involving the home nations in which Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland and Ireland took part....

So, after the Serbia-Albania match was abandoned at 0-0 at half time, Serbia has been awarded a 3-0 walkover win.

And deducted three points.

No, me neither.

Wait, what?!

WHAT?

That's... 0 points for both sides, but +3 goal difference for Serbia and -3 goal difference for Albania. Correct?

Yep.

I think the reasoning was that Albania fans caused the abandonment, but Serbia failed to control the fans who spilled onto the pitch. Or... something.

I thought it was already a behind closed doors friendly. If it wasn't, why not have done that instead? Bloody UEFA.

I thought it was already a behind closed doors friendly. If it wasn't, why not have done that instead? Bloody UEFA.
No away fans were permitted, but they made their presence known with a drone :D Home fans were permitted and they spilled onto the pitch to attack the Albanian players - who were already fighting the Serbian ones - as they were being lead down the tunnel.

Okay, that makes more sense. I knew about the drone thing and a 'no fans' match, but not that Serbia fans were still permitted.

Partisan football or using football as a political platform / excuse really makes me feel bad about a sport I really love.

So yet another International break is upon us, most teams will play one qualifier and one friendly, three home nations named their squads today and here they are

England Squad to play Slovenia and Scotland

Goalkeepers

Forster, Foster, Hart

Defenders
Baines, Cahill, Clyne, Chambers, Jagielka, Smalling, Shaw

Midfielders
Barkley, Carrick, Downing, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Townsend, Walcott, Wilshire

Strikers
Berahino, Lambert, Rooney, Welbeck

Well done to Saido Berahino on getting his first call up, Barkley, Smalling, Carrick, Downing and Walcott get recalls, Delph misses out

Wales squad to play Belgium

Goalkeepers

Hennessey, Fon Williams, Ward

Defenders
A Williams, Chester, Collins, Davies, Dummett, N Taylor, Ricketts, Gunter, Matthews, Gabbidon

Midfielders
Huws, Ledley, Ramsey, Allen, J Williams, Evans, Robson-Kanu

Strikers
Cotterill, G Williams, Lawrence, J Taylor, Bale

Ramsey and Allen return, Bale is only just back from injury

Scotland Squad to play Ireland and England

Goalkeepers

Gilks, Gordon, Marshall

Defenders
Bardsley, Berra, Forsyth, Greer, Hanley, Martin, Robertson, Whittaker

Midfielders
Anya, Bannan, Brown, Bryson, Burke, Dorrans, Fletcher, Macleod, Maloney, McArthur, Morrison, Mulgrew

Strikers
Fletcher, Martin, May, Naismith

Rangers midfielder Lewis Macleod gets his first call up.

By the way, where it says;

Strikers
Cotterill, G Williams, Lawrence, J Taylor, Bale

I don't recognise a single striker there. That is Wales' only problem. We have an excellent generation of youngsters sprinkled with some venerable campaigners in pretty much all areas of the pitch... except striker. Out and out. We don't score enough goals. Love the rest of the team though, brilliant to see Ramsey and Allen back.

By the way, where it says;

I don't recognise a single striker there. That is Wales' only problem. We have an excellent generation of youngsters sprinkled with some venerable campaigners in pretty much all areas of the pitch... except striker. Out and out. We don't score enough goals. Love the rest of the team though, brilliant to see Ramsey and Allen back.

Not sure who David Cotterill plays for now, George Williams is at Fulham, Tom Lawrence is a Man United player on loan at Leicester and Jake Taylor is at Reading, the last three there are all young strikers full of potential, so Coleman is really putting his faith and trust in them..

I know who they are, that's why I italicised the fact that I don't recognise any strikers. I recognise attacking midfielders, wingers and Gareth "ubiquitous attacker" Bale.

No Earnshaws, Hartsons, Hugheses, Saunderses or Rushes. No strikers. Sadly, Sam Vokes and Simon Church don't cut it at this level.

So, Hiddink said that if he loses Sunday against Latvia, he's going to resign.
And seeing that the Netherlands just lost another match, against Mexico, 2-3, things aren't looking so bright for Guus. Serves the KNVB right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back