Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we see lower-ranked Israel in action, I'd say Wales are looking at an optimistic 4th.

I also hadn't realised just how low Cyprus have dropped down the rankings in the past few years, but their win tonight will do much to boost their prospects. Fellow islanders Iceland have a tougher group (especially with the Czech's signalling their intent by turning over the Dutch earlier this evening), though their rank makes their comfortable home win against Turkey somewhat less startling than Cyprus beating a team 121 places above them. And on their own turf to boot.

Until Israel actually demonstrate that they can displace Wales, I still have to put Cymru in 3rd place. But hey, we're top for now. I still don't think Coleman is the man for the job though. It's always in the back of my mind.

A good striker up top is a problem for us though. I absolutely refuse anything to do with Chedwyn Evans, which leaves us with such luminaries as Simon Church, Hal-Robson Kanu, Steve Morison and Sam Vokes. We have a great group of players but in that one section of the field we're somewhat lacking. Bale obviously can play as a striker, but I want him as a winger ala vintage Giggs.

*And I hate the completely political, non-geographical placement of Israel in UEFA

Well, the Croats were looking pretty awkward at half time but Luka Modric changed everything. Literally 25 seconds in he gets a goal and from there on out it was an easy 2-0.

Oh, and the Dutch. Absolutely inexcusable.

Still...could be worse...

If Bale want playing last night we would've lost that, he was just a different class to everyone else...

Why does Israel have to wait til October (and for that matter, Belgium too) to play their first game?

EDIT: Nevermind. Due to the ongoing war the match was delayed.

How come Group I has only 5 teams? They ran out?

Why does Israel have to wait til October (and for that matter, Belgium too) to play their first game?

EDIT: Nevermind. Due to the ongoing war the match was delayed.

How come Group I has only 5 teams? They ran out?
There's usually one group with 5 teams and results against the 6th place team in all the other groups are ignored for the purposes of calculating the best runner-up teams.

On this occasion there's 54 teams in the pot including the hosts, France. They're in Group I, playing friendlies against the other Group I teams on the same schedule.

England Squad for the Qualifiers v San Marino and Estonia...

Hart, Foster, Forster, Gibbs, Stones, Clyne, Jagielka, Baines, Cahill, Delph, Henderson, Lallana, Milner, Ox-Chamberlain, Shelvey, Sterling, Townsend, Wilshire, Lambert, Rooney, Welbeck

Well done to Nathaniel Clyne for getting his first call up, good player....only three strikers named..

So here is the schedule for the first batch of Qualifiers starting Thursday

Thursday

Group C

Belarus v Ukraine
Macedonia v Luxembourg
Slovakia v Spain

Group E
England v San Marino
Lithuania v Estonia
Slovenia v Switzerland

Group G
Liechtenstein v Montenegro
Moldova v Austria
Sweden v Russia

Friday

Group A

Latvia v Iceland
Holland v Kazakhstan
Turkey v Czech Republic

Group B
Belgium v Andorra
Cyprus v Israel
Wales v Bosnia

Group H
Bulgaria v Croatia
Italy v Azerbaijan
Malta v Norway

Saturday

Group D

Ireland v Gibraltar
Scotland v Georgia
Poland v Germany

Group I
Armenia v Serbia
Albania v Denmark

Group F
Romania v Hungary
Finland v Greece
N.Ireland v Faroe Islands

Don't think I'll be watching the game tonight (can't be bothered) but I will keep an eye on the score hoping that San Marino pull off a historic win.

No Chance!

England team, Hart, Chambers, Cahill, Jagielka, Gibbs, Henderson, Wilshire, Milner, Sterling, Welbeck, Rooney...

Last edited:
Love these fixtures as an England fan, I can pretend for one game that England are one of the best teams in the world.

2qukz1x.jpg

Last edited:
Comfortable in the end for England but they made hard work of it in the first half and it was generally underwhelming but its two from two and now joint top with Lithuania, Switzerland lost again last night....also Spain lost 2-1 to Slovakia too!

Wales turn tonight, C'MON WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good result for Wales last night, getting a point at home to Bosnia means we top the group!..

Poland are minutes away from humbling the Germans on the pitch for the very first time.

EDIT: 2-0 to the Poles at FT. Warsaw better be prepared tonight!

Last edited:
Estonia v England in a bit, Lallana in for Sterling one of three changes...

Fairly lackluster performance, but good free kick from Rooney.

IN defense of England, Estonia have rather parked the bus,

They are labouring a bit though, mind you three points away from home is really good no matter how you get them...

0-1 it finished...

Last edited:
9 points for England so far, can't complain about that but they still have a bad shot/goal ratio as was the case throughout the World Cup...

Wales v Cyprus tonight..

...this whole Sterling not starting thing has been blown WAY out of proportion!...

The decision to appoint the age and wisdom of Guus Hiddink as coach is really paying off for Oranje.
2-1 loss against Czech Republic.
3-1 win against Kazachstan.
And now it looks like another loss.
2-0 so far against Iceland.

I don't know whether to use this smiley: :lol: or this one: :indiff:

*chortle*

The KNVB deserves this. They should have picked Ronald Koeman, and look towards the future. Now we have a coach who has lost his touch, and who already said that he will be gone in 2 years, and his follow up already has been chosen. Danny Blind. Someone who never was appointed head coach of anything.

*snort*

So, currently Iceland top Group A with three wins from three and no goals conceded, including a 2-0 home win over the Netherlands and Wales top Group B, undefeated so far this campaign. Slovakia top Group C having beaten Spain, Poland top Group D having beaten Germany (who have a negative goal difference for the first time in a qualifying campaign since, like, ever) 2-0 and Switzerland play off with San Marino tonight for bottom-of-Group E honours. Oh, and Northern Ireland top Group F with a 100% record.

Opposite day!

Last edited:
They're choosing Danny Blind to lead the Netherlands team? Fail. I've managed the exact same number of teams he has, and I won Euro 2024 with the Netherlands on Football Manager 14!

Wales top of Group B. Belgium vs Bosnia was a draw, which was the best result for us. Belgium and Israel have yet to play each other and have a 'game in hand'. A draw against Bosnia and a less-comfortable-than-it-should-have-been win over Cyprus is very good for us considering we had 11 players pull out due to injury.

1 Wales ------- P3 7pts +2
2 Israel -------- P2 6pts +4
3 Belgium ------ P2 4pts +6
4 Cyprus ------- P3 3pts -1
5 Bos-Herce --- P3 2pts -1
6 Andorra ------ P3 0pts -10

Last edited:
Quite comfortable last night I thought, Cyprus had a lot of possession after King deservedly got sent off (what was he thinking off?!) but never really threatened Wales goal, brilliant start, lets see how long it lasts!...

Thought things were looking bad for Scotland when Poland scored in the 12th minute, but Scotland have drawn level within 10 minutes, much to my surprise... Maloney scored from an excellent piece of play from our new talisman Anya - unfortunately the two conspired to celebrate with the worst high five ever, resulting in Anya practically elbowing Maloney in the face :lol: It was so bad, Sky Sports replayed it.

As things stand England are top of their group, Wales are top, Northern Ireland are top, Republic of Ireland are top and Scotland are 3rd. Normally we'd be lucky to see 2 of those going to a major competition but they are all doing quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back