Euro 2016 Qualification Thread

• Thread starter Famine
  • 480 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Hiddink said that if he loses Sunday against Latvia, he's going to resign.
And seeing that the Netherlands just lost another match, against Mexico, 2-3, things aren't looking so bright for Guus. Serves the KNVB right.

What is the P WDL record since his appointment?

Really not looking good for the Dutch right now, hasn't Hiddink managed them before??

I know who they are, that's why I italicised the fact that I don't recognise any strikers. I recognise attacking midfielders, wingers and Gareth "ubiquitous attacker" Bale.

No Earnshaws, Hartsons, Hugheses, Saunderses or Rushes. No strikers. Sadly, Sam Vokes and Simon Church don't cut it at this level.

Ok, completely agree with you on the Strikers, its the only major problem we have right now.....although that said I'm still not convinced about the manager..

I'm still not convinced about the manager..

I somewhat understand your point of view; I was skeptical of his appointment but we're looking much more Gary Speed-y than we have done in the last two years.

Who else do you realistically think could and would take the Wales job? I can't think of many better people who actually would. It's an interesting exercise; best squad in a generation, decent manager but no strikers.

@Liquid

we have improved in the last year or so, but if it all starts to go wrong then we might be stuck with him as outside of Tony Pulis there is no-one who could take over, we have being doing great lately and I just want that to continue like every other supporter

...as for the Belgium game, Kompany is their captain and will be a huge loss for them but they still have an abundance of world class talent there and unlike Wales they have some serious strength in depth....

Last edited:
Ouch. Uh.. why was Hiddink hired again? Think we might have already mentioned this but R. Koeman must be absolutely howling with laughter right now.

English Premier League

1st Chelsea 29pts +17
2nd Southampton 22pts +18

Best goal difference in the country, fewest goals conceded.

It's rather astonishing how badly the Netherlands are playing right now given that they were the 'people's champions' at the world cup in many eyes.

If Hiddink did leave or get sacked then the Dutch would go for Koeman I think...

Yes, his brother Erwin. I think Ronald is quite comfortable in his golden throne at Southampton right now.

Ouch. Uh.. why was Hiddink hired again? Think we might have already mentioned this but R. Koeman must be absolutely howling with laughter right now.

Only the KNVB knows that. And the guy who will take Hiddink's place, Danny Blind, nobody understands that either. Go read up about his coachin career.

Koeman was first choice for quite some time, but he got shafted by the KNVB and they picked Hiddink and Blind as his follow up. Koeman will not take the job for any time soon, and nobody in the Dutchielands blames him.

His brother Erwin will stay at Ronald's side. He would be dumb as hell to take up the position. Let Hiddink and Blind screw it all up, miss the 2016 tournament, and maybe then start with a fresh batch. Robben, v Persie, Sneijder will most likely be gone after 2016.

Only the KNVB knows that. And the guy who will take Hiddink's place, Danny Blind, nobody understands that either. Go read up about his coachin career.

I read Danny Blind's nl.wiki page and it said something like "Danny is one of the most popular people at AFC Ajax, despite his terrible season in charge of the first team in 2005, but it wasn't his fault."

Whoops.

@Liquid
...as for the Belgium game, Kompany is their captain and will be a huge loss for them but they still have an abundance of world class talent there and unlike Wales they have some serious strength in depth....

It's not that big of a deal. All Kompany does is dive and get red cards anyhow :lol:

Germany versus Gibraltar tonight. One bookie has Germany at only 7/1 to score 15 or more goals, and you can get an odds-on (less than even money) bet on there being more than 9 goals in the game. Their best odds on a correct score bet are Germany to win 8-0 at 5/1.

Scotland v Ireland tonight too....

..the Gibraltar Keeper has said that he wants concede less than seven so then they can say they're better than Brazil :lol:

Last edited:
:D

In a night of shocks, the Faroes have beaten Greece, in Greece, and Germany only scored 4 past Gibraltar.

Oh, and we won. But of course that's not a shock.

Germany's win was assured but not as emphatic as many had expected. "Better than Brazil" status confirmed.

Surprise of the night goes to Greece, who went down 1-0 at home. To the Faroe Islands.

Absolutely buzzing. Confident we can take Ireland away now.

I watched the Ireland vs Scotland game. Didn't feel that Scotland threatened enough to deserve the 1-0 versus chances for Ireland, but sometimes the one chance is all that counts. Hanley was lucky to even be on the pitch after 10 minutes and definitely after the incident with Forde. He should have seen red at some point.

Poland are pretty much assured of qualification in that group. Makes 2nd and 3rd very interesting indeed, especially for Germany's seeding.

Yep.

I think the reasoning was that Albania fans caused the abandonment, but Serbia failed to control the fans who spilled onto the pitch. Or... something.
Not true. Serbian fans chanted "death Albanians, death Croats" and "Kosovo is the Heart of Serbia". But the drone was uncalled for. The fight was sad, also. Security went against the Albanian players instead of regulating both sides.

Not true.
Actually, it is true. Re-read what I wrote - it renders everything you said irrelevant.

Hint: My post was saying what UEFA's reasoning for the penalties they gave was, not describing the events.

Was just looking through the results on page 1 and wondered why is only the one result bolded.

Read the score, oops Greece. :lol:

Actually, it is true. Re-read what I wrote - it renders everything you said irrelevant.

Hint: My post was saying what UEFA's reasoning for the penalties they gave was, not describing the events.
Crap, sorry. I'm still pissed off at that.

England 0-0 Slovenia half time, England playing some nice stuff but as Peasantslayer touched on the finishing has been really poor, pitch is terrible, doesn't fell like a competitive game, very subdued atmosphere...

Whoops Henderson own goal, 1-0 to Slovenia!!

England penalty straight after the goal...Rooney to take....and he scores!!! 1-1!

2-1 Welbeck..

3-1 Welbeck..

England 3-1 Slovenia full time, another comfortable win for England..

San Marino drew 0-0 with Estonia!!!!!

Last edited:
A pleasant turnaround and a deserved win for England.

San Marino held on to grab a point against Estonia while Liechtenstein beat a poor-performing Moldova. Three Euro minnows making more than admirable efforts these past couple of nights. 👍

Its their first ever point in Euro qualifiers and end a 61 game losing streak...

No new clean sheet record for Ingurland, I'll take that. On to the big game today; Wales vs Belgium. They're missing Kompany which is a plus, but their side is still much better than ours overall. I'll take a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back