EXP Grinding

• Thread starter no1gret
  • 93 comments
So all these people grinding, what are you in such a rush to do? So you have raced every car from level 0 to 20? And there wasn't enough XP? What would you do if there was no grinding and everything was unlocked? Finish all the events in one day and never play the game again?

I don't understand this refusal to do any of the events more than once. How many times did we do FR event in GT4 over the years?

In previous GTs there were more and more interesting events - so it was more fun doing them not only once (also i did them often to win all possible price cars ...) And also I liked to do events I liked often with different cars - not so much choice in GT5 (for example the DTM Chalange in GT4 i did with all the different DTM cars in the game, because I liked the event and the cars. The cars I had either won on other events ore bought them - they were available and affordable, because you got some money in GT4 - in GT5 I am lucky that I found 1 of the possible cars in this ***** used cars slot ....

GT 5 is bloated with sooo much stuff - but the most important thing "racing" (yourself and not let b-spec bob do it four you) has been forgotten by the developers.

It is a really big fail by PD to get so less racing events but so much xp between levels.

I mean, you can complete every single content in GT5 and the just being lvl 27.

So, what does PD think about to reach the rest of the levels? Do they really expect, that I repeat events 50 times again?

That is silly. If they included a mode with random events or series, it would be ok or if you get XP for everything you do in GT5 (even training and multiplayer races).

That is silly. If they included a mode with random events or series, it would be ok or if you get XP for everything you do in GT5 (even training and multiplayer races).

Guess what - GT2 had that ... Even though you did't need stupid XP for stupid levels...

Hope you're looking forward to level 26 plus.. when all special events are completed :P

300-400k xp for level up. 2 hours endurance rewards anywhere between 110-150k xp.

epic FAIL from PD.

Does not seem too bad yet really, just 3 times a 2 hour race, which should be fun!

What would you do if there was no grinding and everything was unlocked? Finish all the events in one day and never play the game again?

Could you suggest anything more random?

Maybe they're just trying to get to the point where it's their choice what the next race should be.

My advice is that play the game and have fun. Although if you want a quick race, without the stress, what I do is race the first event of the Polyphony Digital Cup in Madrid Mini. Its open to a mixed type of cars ranging from old Evo´s and Audi S3´s all the way to Ford GT´s or R35´s .So you can use 450hp+ cars so you dont feel like you´re taking advantage of the rest, and it takes less than 5 minutes to complete 5 laps. You get like 3000 xp plus like 35K credits.

I think it's fairly obvious that PD planned on having XP rewards for online racing in at launch but failed to meet the deadline. This will hopefully be patched in. They could easily make it so that a certain percentage of racers must actually finish the race for any rewards to be given.

Incidentally is anyone amused at the similarities between this game and Final Fantasy XIV? Both from Japanese developers, created in a bubble, rushed to launch, basic missing features promised to be implemented in future patches. Oh and both developers have public relations experts who love to communicate using only disjointed Haikus.

Last edited:
Hopefully the matchmaking will resolve these grinding issues. If it is anything like GT5P, online should be much more lucrative than Aspec

Spoiler the X11 will be broken, it will do 0-60 in one second top speed of over 300mph and never need to break to go around a corner. Just like most concept cars the results will be impossible to reproduce in the real world, the Citroen GT being a good example from prologue. Game-breaking, yawn-inducing shadows of real vehicles. I love cars, not their fan fiction equivalent.

Wow, alot of people with a lot of time on their hands! I think the grind is good, if it was easy half you people would be done the game already and probably complain its too easy.

No, the problem is that you have to do the same **** over and over again.

I wouldn't mind if I had to do 20 events to move up from lvl 27 to 28. But now I need to do the same long ass boring races again. ugh

Spoiler the X11 will be broken, it will do 0-60 in one second top speed of over 300mph and never need to break to go around a corner. Just like most concept cars the results will be impossible to reproduce in the real world, the Citroen GT being a good example from prologue. Game-breaking, yawn-inducing shadows of real vehicles. I love cars, not their fan fiction equivalent.

Well, I've not yet driven it, but the X1 doesn't seem all that radical. And it needed to brake for a few corners in the demo video. I'll probably use it a bit once I get it. Hopefully, I won't be the only one that has it. That's another problem with all of this. Not only does XP etc, make it take longer for me to get cars, it makes it take longer for other people that I'd like to race to get cars.

Here's my problem with the game fellas. I'm with a group of guys who all race online and have fun. We've setup different events over the years and it's been a blast. With FM3 we were able to take any car online and race, this helped us when setting up our events where we can run cars that we don't actually own (although we all owned our cars, no fun in running a car with no livery) to meet the requirements of the race. For instance, we have (and now that may be in jeopardy) an ALMS series where we ran the GT3 and LMP version of cars at the same time as teams. We also ran them in stock config so there was no need to have to own them as every car in the game is available to be raced online whether you own it or not (except DLC content).

In this game it's going to be near impossible for us to recreate that as the few cars that are in the LMP class to begin with are prohibitively expensive and not available for online racing unless you do own them. This blows and takes alot of the enjoyment and possibilities from online events. Trying to recreate the ALMS series in GT5 is almost impossible and it was a very very fun event.

Here's a link to our event so you guys can get an idea of what we were doing:

http://wheelracers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=124

EDIT:Also I thought I read there were supposed to be all sorts of formats for online racing. As far as I can tell there's on two things you can do. Free Run with Racing and something else. I see no option for team based races or anything to that effect.

Last edited:
In this game it's going to be near impossible for us to recreate that as the few cars that are in the LMP class to begin with are prohibitively expensive and not available for online racing unless you do own them. This blows and takes alot of the enjoyment and possibilities from online events. Trying to recreate the ALMS series in GT5 is almost impossible and it was a very very fun event.

Yes exactly. GT mode shouldn't be the only focus of the game anymore. It's not even that great.

Hey, i am level 21, and i have repeated like 1-3 races MAX.

To level up without 'grinding' you must make sure you complete the special events along with the A-spec races. Otherwise if you don't do the special events as they appear the points you gain from the events will be less significant, for example; doing a rally intermediate event at level 16 is wayyy more valuable than doing 3-4 more races. Because you get points that will fill up your bar generously. If you do the rally event on level 25, then the experience wont even help you. This does not feel like 'grinding' as i am always driving something different. And i like how all of my amateur mates who think they can drive wont be able to buy the f1 cars because they don't have the skills or determination like me. Think about what sets us apart from need for speed casual players. It's a bit of a burden but we can do it and we will be rewarded with mad cars!!

So i find, If you have completed and won all races once, then do the special events, AMG driving school and rally is great!(especially in a WRC car!)

That is my strategy anyway, and i haven't done any 'grinding' yet.

Last edited:
Around level 21 is where it all starts.

I an level 25 now and it is pretty bad........ I did the only thing that unlocked at 25 (1 endurance race) and after completing it I am not even 1/2 way to 26.

The leveling system is fine if there is actually races to do......... but having to go back and run a 5 lap race of indy 20 times to unlock a 4 hour race in a miata is stupid.

Just made it to level 22, about 1/4 way to level 23. Luckily, reaching level 22 opens up 3 new championships to help take the load off, i'm not sure how close this will get me to level 23 though.

I'm looking forward to unlocking the endurance races and i've already psyched myself up to do each one a couple of times but I know it's gonna get really tough around level 27/28.

Anyone found any particularly efficient races to earn exp? The special events are really good for earning exp but they can't be repeated and it seems most drivers have caught onto this earlier in the game.

I also hope that the incoming matchmaking patch will start to reward online drivers with exp, if it was in GT5P, surely it'll be in the full game!?!?!?!

They will probably release an ultimate car DLC next year for 19.99 after everyboby already grinded it out for awhile.

Hey, i am level 21, and i have repeated like 1-3 races MAX.

To level up without 'grinding' you must make sure you complete the special events along with the A-spec races. Otherwise if you don't do the special events as they appear the points you gain from the events will be less significant, for example; doing a rally intermediate event at level 16 is wayyy more valuable than doing 3-4 more races. Because you get points that will fill up your bar generously. If you do the rally event on level 25, then the experience wont even help you. This does not feel like 'grinding' as i am always driving something different. And i like how all of my amateur mates who think they can drive wont be able to buy the f1 cars because they don't have the skills or determination like me. Think about what sets us apart from need for speed casual players. It's a bit of a burden but we can do it and we will be rewarded with mad cars!!

So i find, If you have completed and won all races once, then do the special events, AMG driving school and rally is great!(especially in a WRC car!)

That is my strategy anyway, and i haven't done any 'grinding' yet.

No grinding 'yet', expect that to change! No more special events, no easy xp, just going round industry in a minolta again and again and again!

The advanced level Daytona one is next to impossible on a controller. But I haven't given up yet.:sly:

I had problems too until I read something on the forums saying how to complete this event more easily.
Go into controller options and map buttons to the RA thingies.
It ables you to adjust electronic systems like ASM and ABS during the race.
And it ables you to de-activate ASM even though they lock it on when you look into driving settings.

You just have to open the RA menu, turn ASM off and I have to say its maybe 10X easier.

I admit it gets a little frustrating having to complete some of the same races over and over again to try and get levels. But as for all the people complaining about how its sooooooo much xp between levels and how PD should have made it faster, i dont agree with that at all.

I mean, really.. the game has been out for what, a little over a week? and it sounds like a lot of people are complaining because they havnt reached every level there is to reach and unlocked everything there is to unlock.... I doubt PD would have spent 6 years or whatever it was to create a game that could be finished in a week lol.

I think its a good thing that you really have to put some effort in if you want to get anywhere, makes it that much nicer when you do reach that level you've been aiming for, or finally save enough credits to buy that car you've wanted.

True but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, PD done it the lazy way. Here's the way it should have been done to prolong the A-spec mode, 20 events per level (that's 100 in total), 5 race championships per event except the final one in the level which is a 10 race championship, none of these stupid single race events (that's 525 A-spec races), more single model and manufacturer events (either give more prize money or make cars cheaper to make up for the need to purchase more cars to use). That way although you level up the same, there's no need to repeat the same race over and over.

I have to say I'm not to impressed with the endurance race events. Very generic. Where is Cape Ring endurance race? what about Trial Mountain? Deep Forest?

The track selection for endurance races is kinda stale, compared to what was.

I have got to the point where I was playing GT5, am at level 21... I just thought "Actually, I'm not really having any fun now".

So I stopped playing. GT5 is done for me, the physics are great but the game is structured in such a way that the fun stuff is just far too infrequent to bother pushing on.

After I've gotten gold on all the events I've done so far, I'm somehow not deemed GOOD ENOUGH by PD to be allowed to progress. I'm taking the option of simply admitting it is a crap career mode and doesn't deserve my time.

GT1, 2, 3 and 4 are far better as games. I think the Gran Turismo formula is being left behind anyway. I see this as a symptom of Japanese companies being very traditional and unwilling to change or admit the competition has moved forward.

You see it everywhere in the gaming industry. RPGs, fighting games etc. GT is becoming like Tekken, just not changing enough when western developers have since evolved the genre and added seemingly must-have features...

I'm not sure PD deserve another chance, as its becoming clear they have nowhere else (meaningful) they want to go with the series. B-spec and photomode hold zero interest among most people I know.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm looking with interest at what Turn 10 do with an eventual Forza 4 (and please don't say I'm a Forza fan, you can easily find out how long I've been on this forum and very into GT).

Last edited:
I have got to the point where I was playing GT5, am at level 21... I just thought "Actually, I'm not really having any fun now".

After seeing everyones comments about grinding to get levels, i'm worried i'll feel the same.
I'm just hoping the changes to multiplayer happen sooner rather then later (getting XP for online) to help the process along.

currently i'm only getting 2-3 hours a day to play so i've still got a bit to do before i'm on level 21 (currently on 15) but fingers crossed some of these promised december updates help the issue!

Back