EXP Grinding

• Thread starter no1gret
  • 93 comments
I have got to the point where I was playing GT5, am at level 21... I just thought "Actually, I'm not really having any fun now".

So I stopped playing. GT5 is done for me, the physics are great but the game is structured in such a way that the fun stuff is just far too infrequent to bother pushing on.

After I've gotten gold on all the events I've done so far, I'm somehow not deemed GOOD ENOUGH by PD to be allowed to progress. I'm taking the option of simply admitting it is a crap career mode and doesn't deserve my time.

GT1, 2, 3 and 4 are far better as games. I think the Gran Turismo formula is being left behind anyway. I see this as a symptom of Japanese companies being very traditional and unwilling to change or admit the competition has moved forward.

You see it everywhere in the gaming industry. RPGs, fighting games etc. GT is becoming like Tekken, just not changing enough when western developers have since evolved the genre and added seemingly must-have features...

I'm not sure PD deserve another chance, as its becoming clear they have nowhere else they want to go with the series.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm looking with interest at what Turn 10 do with an eventual Forza 4 (and please don't say I'm a Forza fan, you can easily find out how long I've been on this forum and very into GT).

Each consecutive GT game is merely an update of the last in my opinion, the graphics and physics improve while the games core stays the same. GT will never evolve because Kazunori Yamauchi has been trying to make HIS perfect driving game for the past 12 years, the trouble is that while times change, his vision of the perfect driving game hasn't. With every new generation console it gives PD more power to play with but that's used up by making the cars look more and more life like or implement 3D compatibility, basically trying to make the game look better instead of play better.

Each consecutive GT game is merely an update of the last in my opinion, the graphics and physics improve while the games core stays the same. GT will never evolve because Kazunori Yamauchi has been trying to make HIS perfect driving game for the past 12 years, the trouble is that while times change, his vision of the perfect driving game hasn't. With every new generation console it gives PD more power to play with but that's used up by making the cars look more and more life like or implement 3D compatibility, basically trying to make the game look better instead of play better.
That's what GT is about, it's about giving you the most real driving experience and overall car experience. That includes the looks.

3D was a requirement by Sony, not PD. Get it right!

That's what GT is about, it's about giving you the most real driving experience and overall car experience. That includes the looks.

GT is "all about" that because of PD's refusal to update the format, great games evolve into even greater ones, take the Resident Evil franchise as an example, after Code Veronica Capcom realised it had to change to keep up with the times so changed it accordingly while keeping in with the theme of the originals. It happens to every long running series in its lifetime.

As for your "get it right" comment, at what point did I say it was PD's decision to implement 3D compatibility? I said console power was being used up by things like this and for your information even if it wasn't GT5 would have been released 2 years ago much the same as it is now.

This is a pretty poor attempt at white knighting. What Polyphony fails to understand is that the the content surrounding that driving experience needs to be fun and in its current form it isn't. GT5s simulation mode hasn't improved in anyway and in fact it has downgraded significantly from even GT1 which has more single player content then this game does. Special Events and License Tests are fun but don't last very long and A/B-Specs are a boring grind with far to few events.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a championship that was really long but had massive prize fund and matching experience.

Instead we get stuck with pitiful payouts and/championships we can't even compete in because a car can't be readily bought to match the rules, a competitive car is so expensive or can't be found in that used car dealership.

I used to play Everquest back in early 2000 and that rpg (which in fact is Sony's exclusive as GT5) recalls me a term we used to say back in those days: "camping".

We, players, would pick a hunting spot and would sit there, killing monsters and animals, for as long as 3, 5 and even 7 hours aiming to increase our exp bar from 30% till 40%. More experienced characters (50th level and up) would require a month's work (camping mainly) for some leveling up.

It was ridiculous except for the fact that we would be able to chat while taunting and farming exp, which is not the case of GT5 cause you do it mainly offline. Therefore grinding in GT5 becomes as boring as lonely also.

I really don't see a point in repeating the same race over and over again so we could climb steps and etc. I would rather throw challenges which would get harder and harder along the way. For each of this beaten challenges, the driver would granb prestige, experience and money also.

Edit: Added a leaderboard on the original post for high-earning exp races.

Post your races that are exp-efficient, i'll work out the maths and add them to the board. Hopefully, if can find 4-5 races that are as good as each other, racing them in a circuit should limit the boredom.

Isn't the 1st American Championship event better for exp grind?

98,000 Cr + 4,440 xp for only 4 minutes of game play. The Laguna Seca event only nets you 7,400 xp for 7 minutes. 8 minutes of game play would equal 8,880 :)

Grinding wouldn't have been bad if the championships were longer and filled with more races, along with boat loads of cash rewards.

A car should be rewarded for every time a championship repeatedly is won.

We've always had griding in GT games, previously for cash rather than EXP but unfortunately this time the experience has bercome worse as we don't get the satisfaction of winning a new car by running a championship or series each time, along with the lack of variation within events

We've always had griding in GT games, previously for cash rather than EXP but unfortunately this time the experience has bercome worse as we don't get the satisfaction of winning a new car by running a championship or series each time, along with the lack of variation within events

This, in a nutshell.

It's been the most disappointing reiteration of this franchise so far. I've loved this series, and still do, but it needs an awful lot of work to shine like it once did.

You could just go through all the events you've already won and use different cars, as that would add more variety to the grinding rather than Indy race-Indy race-Indy race for 5 hours.

I think one thing and only one thing needed to be done. When you level up and open more races, the new races you open should amount to the XP needed to level up again. I don't care if it takes me 3 weeks to level up as long as I don't have to repeat a race. I got to level 20 yesterday and I open a single series, 2 races which I golded easily put me at less than 1/4 of the way to lvl 21. It's idiotic, there should be enough xp in a level to get you to the next level, period.

Just thinking back I remember in GT4 running the German Touring Car Championship many, many times when I needed to make money and never getting bored with it due to it being competitive, I wasn't overpowering the opposition and it was good close racing, that seems to be lacking in any championship on GT5 so far. Not to mention of course the lack of repeated prize cars and XP being the major focus of the grind at the moment.

I have real problems as I will admit to not being the best driver and I'm not one of those who can comfortably walk in and gold every test/special event so I'm left well behind the 8 ball with regards to gaining XP. The balance just isn't there with this new system.

It's a real shame as the on track experience is better than it's ever been and I think even the harshest critics would agree that the driving experience is second to none but it's the game surrounding it that is hurting GT5.

I think one thing and only one thing needed to be done. When you level up and open more races, the new races you open should amount to the XP needed to level up again. I don't care if it takes me 3 weeks to level up as long as I don't have to repeat a race. I got to level 20 yesterday and I open a single series, 2 races which I golded easily put me at less than 1/4 of the way to lvl 21. It's idiotic, there should be enough xp in a level to get you to the next level, period.

I could not agree more with this, what is the point of having a entire section only to have 1 race (mini challenge, etc)

I pretty much got from Lv 24 to Lv 26 using the Extreme European Rome Race as I find it more relaxing to drive than the Indy race and I was able to buy and test out new cars (making sure I ran them enough to more than pay for themselves). I know it takes longer than the Indy race but at least you get 4.7K Exp for each race. I am still running it now and again to chill out after running the Indy race a few times.

Using it (and reaching 8 mil) I bought the two McLarens most of the "cheaper" Ferraris, the Murcielagos and Alfa 8C, interespersed with runs in the Veyron for quickness. Yet to try the Maserati and DB9 let alone some Used Motors!

This.

Explains exactly what's wrong with the current XP model.

Would be nice to know which race gives you the best exp/min.. I think its one of these 3.. 1. Dream car championship fully
2. The 10 lap indy speedway in about 6.30min or
3. The indy 200 lap endurance race in over 2h

I cant remember the exps the 1st and 3rd give but im pretty sure its at least one of those at lvl 28+.. Ive golded all licenses and all special events and won every race from beginner to extreme except the formula one because i dont have it yet and id really love to get to 30 asap so i could try the vettel challenge..

I'm glad I don't have enough time to play GT5 for hours a day. Every time I turn on my PS3, I'm still having fun driving the events that are open to me. I'm at level 15/3.

I just replaced the timing set on my '01 A4 and rebuilt a 4g63 engine from the head up in a '92 Talon. Both are pulling hard. :drool: Stuff always gets in the way of me sitting down for some GT5 racing. Good stuff. :)

Maybe EXP/Cash will be dished out for online racing by the time I 'get angry' at the game. I haven't even raced online yet though, for that matter.

Bought the CE on day 1. Love the game.

Balance in all things.

Would be nice to know which race gives you the best exp/min.. I think its one of these 3.. 1. Dream car championship fully
2. The 10 lap indy speedway in about 6.30min or
3. The indy 200 lap endurance race in over 2h

I cant remember the exps the 1st and 3rd give but im pretty sure its at least one of those at lvl 28+.. Ive golded all licenses and all special events and won every race from beginner to extreme except the formula one because i dont have it yet and id really love to get to 30 asap so i could try the vettel challenge..

Indy 500.

Ive golded all licenses and all special events and won every race from beginner to extreme except the formula one because i dont have it yet
Bravo ! A man after my own heart. I see Indy 500 is recommended, which I note for future reference. I got the FGT by 'grinding' the used car lot for 150 days. Sadly it is probably the best way to get it.

Getting about 2h 20min in my minolta in it.. Thought the formula wouldve made a bigger difference but i guess i have to go there with the x1 to really make one :S Anyone tried it with x1 yet? Would love to know what kind of laps u get with it..

I'm three-quarters through level twenty-three, and there is a guy on my friends list that is level thirty-three. There is probably twice as much XP between him and me, than I have earned in total since I started playing this game! :lol: :crazy: 👍

You get crazy XP from the Sebastian Vettel X1 challenges, you obviously can't grind it but I went from barely level 30 to mid level 34 just from the 3, but by the time you reach level 30 it's a little later than most wish I think.

Back