Fail!!!

• Thread starter BLITZ_69
  • 1,249 comments
Yup. Clutches don't explode through the hood. Flywheels will... it could also be a piston.

Here's a collection of fails. I lol'd at about all of them, now it's your turns.

removed

Interesting.

That someone so close to not being able to post here anymore should post a picture with a child's penis in it.

You'd think such a person would take more care, wouldn't you?

Yup. Clutches don't explode through the hood. Flywheels will... it could also be a piston.

Well, to me is quite clear that was a piston! Never heard of clutchs exploding or flywheels "flying"!

Well, to me is quite clear that was a piston! Never heard of clutchs exploding or flywheels "flying"!

Ummm, hello? That's exactly why drag cars are required to have a transmission safety blanket. Considering the orientation of the engine in your alleged Civic, and the location that the flywheel sits in, I'd be careful before doing a lot of hard clutch drops if I were you... at least if you want kids at some future date.

Ummm, hello? That's exactly why drag cars are required to have a transmission safety blanket. Considering the orientation of the engine in your alleged Civic, and the location that the flywheel sits in, I'd be careful before doing a lot of hard clutch drops if I were you... at least if you want kids at some future date.

Hmmm i see your point, but like i said, i never heard of it before or happened here in Portugal, im pretty sure of it!

flywheels "flying"!

Flywheels don't go fliying, they shatter with "explosive" force.

I find it amusing how that Neon driver walks around unsure what to do like he is in shock.

Jay
Flywheels don't go fliying, they shatter with "explosive" force.

An exploding flywheel is ten times scarier than a piston or rod failure. A piston or rod will punch a hole in the block. A flywheel going at 6000 rpm will punch a hole through the puny bellhousing... a few hoses... the paper-thin firewall... your pants... :nervous:

Jay
I find it amusing how that Neon driver walks around unsure what to do like he is in shock.

Considering the copious amounts of smoke pouring out of the car, I'd say that's understandable.

Oh... wait... that's from the engine bay? You mean he wasn't sitting in a cloud of ganja fumes?

Can anyone give a good explanation of how that happens? Thanks

EDIT: Please dont google it... i can do that myself! I would like to hear from someone that had happened and/or has actual knowledge;)!

Last edited:
How what happens, the flywheel breaking?

Flywheel heated up by clutch not engaging all the way and creating friction.
Flywheel becomes brittle (metal becomes brittle after a lot of heat treatment).
Flywheel experiences large force and shatters. Due to fast rotational speeds and hardened metal, the pieces easily fly through anything in their path.

When it happens, it's usually a lightweight performance flywheel... a "lightened" stock flywheel... or a warped flywheel. Yes, flywheels can warp over time and use, and you sometimes have to have them resurfaced at a machine shop when you change your clutch... I had to do this to mine, since clutch engagement has been iffy since new... typically, the US boys get a recall out of it... but I have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Warping causes an imbalance that adds extra stress to the flywheel... which, over time, added to the heat generated by clutch use, can lead to explosive failure. Lightweight flywheels, on the other hand, or excessively lightened stock flywheels, might not be able to take the stress in the first place.

So why not google it? Not many people here are dumb enough to have actually had a flywheel explode in their faces. It takes a monumental amount of stress or power or stupid to do it.

Sometimes this happens from improper assembly, when someone who "knows how to do it" saves a buck by building his own stuff. One little flywheel bolt backs out just a little bit. . . . .

I really like how he starts to try to open the hood at the end.

And exactly how do you brake-check a FWD car to start a burnout, anyway?

In the vids you can pick at the bottom when it's done, the Corvette one is rather epic as well. My favorite part of that one is the dumb-A camera boy walking in front of the car TWICE during the "burnout." Then they didn't know where the smoke came from! (F-bomb at the end.)

E-Brake it. Actually quite easy as long as you have a good e-brake.

Pathetic really... even with just the 2.0 and those huge tires, it should have been easy to get at least some spin if he wasn't absolutely shredding the clutch by riding it like that. That he didn't even get a chirp is already halfway to failhood. I have all of two liters of power and ultra-high performance summer tires (Advan AD07s), and I don't have any problems doing a standing burnout without using the E-brake and without revving the engine's nuts off.

Last edited:
Besides the stupidity of walking (slowly mind you) infront of the Z06, I can't believe they didn't stop him when it was clearly the clutch he was burning and not the tyres.

When it happens, it's usually a lightweight performance flywheel... a "lightened" stock flywheel... or a warped flywheel. Yes, flywheels can warp over time and use, and you sometimes have to have them resurfaced at a machine shop when you change your clutch... I had to do this to mine, since clutch engagement has been iffy since new... typically, the US boys get a recall out of it... but I have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Warping causes an imbalance that adds extra stress to the flywheel... which, over time, added to the heat generated by clutch use, can lead to explosive failure.
Lightweight flywheels, on the other hand, or excessively lightened stock flywheels, might not be able to take the stress in the first place.

So why not google it? Not many people here are dumb enough to have actually had a flywheel explode in their faces. It takes a monumental amount of stress or power or stupid to do it.

Thanks for the explanation:tup:! I thought it was something like that... guess we do things the right way;), or maybe we are lucky it never happened :lol:! Strangely/luckely me and and the drag community here never saw such a thing:)!

Every once in awhile you see a project that makes you think "what were they thinking?". Sometimes though they don't get to that stage and realize they are just better off selling whats left on Craigslist.

This is one of them.

Really have to wonder what his "ideas" to finish it are, seems like he really didn't have one before he started. It is rather sad to see a classic bug that has been attacked with a hacksaw though.

^^^ Looks like he just started cutting with something vague in his head and then quit... :lol:

office.gif

Back