Failures of Motorsports - Car Designs, Team Mistakes and More

• Thread starter Panoz
  • 524 comments
Sterling Marlin getting out of his car to pull the fender out under a red flag during the 2002 Daytona 500.

Nigel Mansell overshooting his pit box and reversing into it at Portugal in 1989. To make matters worse, he ignored the black flag and proceeded to collide with Ayrton Senna, he earned a race ban as a consequence.

Mitsubishi was essentially forced by the FIA in 2001 to run a car WRC-spec Lancer before the end of the year. They had run a Group A spec car for the entirety of their involvement up to then. There was also a few leadership and personnel changes that happened after 2002 that contributed to Mitsubishi's downfall as well. Ralliart didn't really have the budget to compete either. It's important to remember as well that Makinen was really the only one to consistently get the most out any of the Evos. Burns had a few good results in the car. but never really was consistent.

Mitsubishi was essentially forced by the FIA in 2001 to run a car WRC-spec Lancer before the end of the year. They had run a Group A spec car for the entirety of their involvement up to then. There was also a few leadership and personnel changes that happened after 2002 that contributed to Mitsubishi's downfall as well. Ralliart didn't really have the budget to compete either. It's important to remember as well that Makinen was really the only one to consistently get the most out any of the Evos. Burns had a few good results in the car. but never really was consistent.
Well, it's easy to see to see the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC as a failure, considering what its Group A predecessors achieved (4 titles in a row for instance). I admit it.

Well, it's easy to see to see the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC as a failure, considering what its Group A predecessors achieved (4 titles in a row for instance). I admit it.
While it is seen as a failure, I personally love the Lancer WRC. It's one of my favorites from the early WRC era. 2001 Corsica was one of the first rallies I watched when I found out that WRC was on TV over here in the States. A failure statistically, but loveable. A lot like the Skoda Octavia WRC, at least in my eyes. The failures need to be remembered just as much as the successful cars.

While it is seen as a failure, I personally love the Lancer WRC. It's one of my favorites from the early WRC era. 2001 Corsica was one of the first rallies I watched when I found out that WRC was on TV over here in the States. A failure statistically, but loveable. A lot like the Skoda Octavia WRC, at least in my eyes. The failures need to be remembered just as much as the successful cars.
I agree with that last sentence.

The AGS Formula 1 team, GP Rejects managed to squeeze a whole 3-part story out of it:

Well the changeable weather conditions, especially at the last minute, certainly didn't help....

Where's the explanation that certain users keep going on about?
The tweet already is an explanation as to why it's a team mistake, plus the comment above I added gives all the relevant context needed. I didn't just write "Doble Silverstone 2023", which is the kind of posts we were seeing before

The two Tweets embedded in the post contain who, what, where, when, and how... and possibly also why.

What more explanation is necessary?
Sometimes there's more to it than that and sometimes there needs to be. Not everyone is going to be convinced by a simple pair of tweets.

Still isn't going to convince everyone. There's always going to be people whose perception is going to differ from what the BTCC's official account says.
Is this satisfactory that Aston Villa won today against Chelsea?

Someone posted a tweet from the official BTCC account highlighting a stupid mistake from a first-time polesitter. That's that.

If you're acting out from being told previously that certain posts aren't up to one member's personal preference, so what? @Jimlaad43 was indirectly referring to several people's posts including my own. You're not being singled out and the thread can easily continue regardless. The post about Doble's error was fine and suited to this thread. Suck it up, get over it.

Last edited:
Convinced of what?

What more information do you need?
I am on the Autism Spectrum so what may be a simple explanation to everyone else may not mean the same to me.

Also, I just felt certain posts were no longer really needed (or at least, not really relevant anymore) once the threads had been merged. I never felt I was being singled out. If I did, I would have had so.

Also, Jimlaad43 has been rather vocal about people providing explanations for their posts as of late and I just felt he wasn't practicing what he preaches by just posting what was said on Twitter by someone else rather than providing an explanation of his own.

I have nothing more to say.

I am on the Autism Spectrum
Hardly an exclusive club in the world of people who like racing games.
so what may be a simple explanation to everyone else may not mean the same to me.
And, for the third time, what more information do you need?

The post contains what happened, who it happened to, when it happened, where it happened, and how it happened - as well as lightly touching on why it happened.

I don't know what else is needed to fulfil the criteria of an "explanation". It is, in fact, more complete a description than this:

Jean Alesi ignoring his team and consequently running out of fuel in the 1997 Australian GP.
Also, I just felt certain posts were no longer really needed (or at least, not really relevant anymore) once the threads had been merged. I never felt I was being singled out. If I did, I would have had so.

Also, Jimlaad43 has been rather vocal about people providing explanations for their posts as of late and I just felt he wasn't practicing what he preaches by just posting what was said on Twitter by someone else rather than providing an explanation of his own.

I have nothing more to say.
No idea what that has to do with my post.

Back