Fanatec acquired by Corsair

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 281 comments
$900 seems the starting point. It will interesting to see how it all adds up, I can't find components that list PS5 compatability, and it appears it is $900 for things at a baseline.

View attachment 1390216
If you click the compatibility tab for the Xbox hub, it states if you have a PS5 base, it will work on Xbox.

Attachments

• Logi Hub.png
    Logi Hub.png
    10 KB · Views: 2
Hmm, Moza? Since when do they have PS compatibility? 🤔
Oh right, they don't yet (not a leak, I just misremembered :D).

They have an Xbox wheel but the security chip is in the rim and not the base, so presumably when they make a PlayStation wheel they'll do the same as Fanatec and Logitech.

Last edited:
$900 seems the starting point. It will interesting to see how it all adds up, I can't find components that list PS5 compatability, and it appears it is $900 for things at a baseline.

View attachment 1390216
You will need pedals and currently only the load cell are out of the box compatible. Older logitech pedals require an adapter.

Corsair have completed the deal to purchase Fanatec. A letter from Andy Paul, CEO, Corsair Gaming.

Dear Fanatec Customer,

I am delighted to announce that Fanatec has joined the CORSAIR family. CORSAIR was founded 30 years ago and is a California-based manufacturer of PC Components and Gaming Peripherals for the gaming enthusiasts.

Fanatec will operate in a similar way to SCUF and Elgato within the CORSAIR family – it will continue to develop and launch products its world-class product range from the current headquarters in Landshut, Germany.

I know you have questions; I wanted to send a letter to answer some of them for you. Firstly, I want you to know that CORSAIR is committed to Sim Racing, the community, and creating great products. There are things at Fanatec that we want to help improve, and I assure you, these are top of our list.

These include:

• Customer Service / Speed of Delivery
  • Warranty
  • Software Updates

What does this mean for Customer Service/Speed of Delivery?

We know the some of the community are not happy about the current state of Customer Service. I get this – I hear you; we are committed to improving this, we want you to have the support you need should something go wrong. We run a global support and logistics operation, and we will be integrating Fanatec into this, giving you better service and more transparency.

What does this mean for my warranty?

CORSAIR will honour all existing Fanatec warranties. Customers should still reach out to the Fanatec team directly for support via their Fanatec accounts. Our priority is to ensure prompt resolution of warranty issues during this transition of ownership and of course provide continuous improvement of customer support.

What does this mean for Software Updates?

We are used to running a company that has both software and hardware elements – CORSAIR, Elgato, and SCUF all have these needs. We also know that people don’t always get it right. That’s where we will be stepping in and making things better. It won’t be perfect straight away, but I am committed to ensuring we improve this over time.

What does this mean for Fanatec going forward?

Overall, Fanatec joining the CORSAIR family means that CORSAIR’s expertise and resources will enhance the Fanatec product lineup and make significant improvements to the logistics and customer service. Global availability of Fanatec products will also expand through CORSAIR's extensive channels. As I have said, Fanatec and its customers will benefit from CORSAIR’s world-class support, including warranty and software updates.

We are incredibly excited about this new chapter for Fanatec, and we would like to thank the community for its continued support. All of us at CORSAIR are committed to raising the brand to new heights and we look forward to sharing this bright future with you!

Andy

Andy Paul, CEO and Founder, Corsair Gaming

Last edited:
Very possible that in the somewhat near future anywhere that carries Corsair branded products may start offering Fanatec products as well which will make them easier to buy for many customers including some in countries that have access to Corsair products but previously could not get Fanatec products.

Also the announcement that Corsair will honor ALL Fanatec warranties is a big load off of more recent customers that have dropped a bunch of money on Fanatec products and were sort of in limbo what future support may be.

All around good for the competition in sim components and if pricing stays somewhat as before Fanatec offers some of the better really budget choices when it comes to pedals.

regarding Corsair statement

Warranties - a no brainer. Foolish and possibly illegal in some places not to honor them

Customer service - nowhere to go but up. At least response time will get quicker even if answers still take a while longer as people get up to speed. But manufacturing needs to get back on track or shifted as some vendors weren’t paid and production stopped

Software/Drivers - tough will take time 3-6 months at least. New people will have to learn the architecture and the existing code before helping to fix it and TEST it, but investment in better tools might help. But existing code design may be part of the problem as adding new stuff has increased complexity. Looks like there may be a fix for the DD disconnects but there are a whole bunch of fixes needed for other stuff as well

How to move forward while keeping backwards compatibility will be a challenge. Developing a new design for the future is needed but will be tricky unless they just break w the existing stuff. The ecosystem has been a selling point

Prices will go up - have to, given the debt load assumed by corsair, unless they can add a LOT more sales, or extract more margin out of products - but then quality might suffer. If you have something on the wishlist and it’s in stock, might think about buying it. Maybe will be BF sale items IF there is a lot of inventory - as a nice gesture maybe but doubtful IMO

Prices will go up - have to, given the debt load assumed by corsair,
With the sale going through a bankruptcy court we have no way to no exactly how much of Fanatecs "pre Corsair" debts if any were assumed by Corsair.
Corsair may have just submitted the best outright bid to purchase the companies assets and rights and ownership of all of the property designs and inventory.

It has already been pretty much released that shareholders for the "prior Fanatec companies pretty much lost everything and will receive nothing for their stake in the company.
Warranties - a no brainer. Foolish and possibly illegal in some places not to honor them
Plenty of times when companies are bought out the new owners do not assume the liability of the products warranties that were sold prior to the new owners taking over.
Some countries this may be affected but not in all.
I do agree reputation wise it does help to install goodwill towards the brand name and its current and even future customers that they will be taken care of.
Software/Drivers - tough will take time 3-6 months at least. New people will have to learn the architecture and the existing code before helping to fix it and TEST it,
I expect Corsair will retain many key players from the former company and may well instill a sense of urgency in those employees to correct any shortcomings or issues on a sooner rather than a later timeframe.
Any speculation here is exactly that just speculation with no wat to accurately predict results whether positive or negative.

How to move forward while keeping backwards compatibility will be a challenge. Developing a new design for the future is needed but will be tricky unless they just break w the existing stuff. The ecosystem has been a selling point
I think advancing technology and incorporating new features and/or designs is a challenge most companies find themselves facing as original technology and hardware that was used ages and is replaced by much better current technology.
Eventually you have to make the older stuff be a "legacy" line and the newer latest and greatest start building a newer ecosystem utilizing designs and hardware that will remain more relevant looking forward into the future.

First step as far as the Fanatec brand continuing has already been taken and that is ownership by a new company that has the resources to do what is needed for the brand.

I do hope the stay more focused on the lower and mid level tiers of gear as honestly that is where the majority of number of sales and customers are positioned and there are plenty of companies already focusing on $1000-$2500 pedal sets and $700+ wheel rims.

The market has plenty of room though for more $200-$500 load cell pedal sets and $175-$350 wheel rims for the average non pro caliber racers out there.

Back