Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Shifter looks really good. Anyone notice that there is something mounted on the csw behind the rim on the csw base. Also the first rim looks like the bmw but with a fanatec logo.

The second rim they blurred out does look like that image above though.

Last edited:
Edit: Also another thing to note is that it had the same plug as we now have on the CSR E and CSW bases. So this means the shifter does not have USB and will not function as a standalone. Unless Fanatec sells a fancy SFA1 like device that does the opposite, so instead of going from USB to Fanatec PS/2 plug, go from Fanatec RJ12 to USB.

Well spotted :) although I highly doubt Fanatec would restrict sales by only allowing it to connect to their wheels. I expect it has what it needs for USB out of the box :)

Well spotted :) although I highly doubt Fanatec would restrict sales by only allowing it to connect to their wheels. I expect it has what it needs for USB out of the box :)

Are you sure?! I remember that the CSW base doesn't allow 3rd party rims either, like a nice Momo or Nardi.
So it would definitely not surprise me if the same design decision is made here.

Anyone notice that there is something mounted on the csw behind the rim on the csw base.

you mean the "thing" which is spotted for just a few seconds, starting at 0:31?..
Good catch ;) so many things are teased here.. Thomas really understands this business way :)

Are you sure?! I remember that the CSW base doesn't allow 3rd party rims either, like a nice Momo or Nardi.
So it would definitely not surprise me if the same design decision is made here.

I'm very sure...that really would be commercial suicide. (well I should really say 'pretty sure' ;) )

IMO the rim issue is very different as CSW has electronics to consider. Also allowing other rims to be physically attached to the CSW base would/could make warranty claims a very difficult topic.

Just my opinion of course ;)

Last edited:
@ bumer,

Yeah, I see them. So maybe a BMW rim, remodled as a Fanatec rim with no paddles as a cheaper alternative. Static paddles that can be added at any time, and work with other paddleless wheel rims. Maybe...

@ bumer,

Yeah, I see them. So maybe a BMW rim, remodled as a Fanatec rim with no paddles as a cheaper alternative. Static paddles that can be added at any time, and work with other paddleless wheel rims. Maybe...

remodeled BMW rim?.. I think they just placed a Fanatec badge on the BMW rim and only removed the moving paddle shifters.. At least it looks so for me in that video.. Also, I think the BMW badge as a licence and the paddle shifters dont make a huge price difference..

csstatic.jpg

again a nice teaser.. I found 3 different new Fanatec products in a just 1 minute video.. Maybe we know now what Thomas means with "both versions"?
Time to discuss! :D

btw: interesting design!

again a nice teaser.. I found 3 different new Fanatec products in a just 1 minute video.. Maybe we know now what Thomas means with "both versions"?

The wheel has a Fanatec badge because of contractual issues most likely. They are not allowed to advertise for BMW. It definitely is just a BMW GT2 rim though.

The fixed paddles are new though, as well as the CSS of course.
So which 3 products?

The wheel has a Fanatec badge because of contractual issues most likely. They are not allowed to advertise for BMW. It definitely is just a BMW GT2 rim though.

The fixed paddles are new though, as well as the CSS of course.
So which 3 products?

1. CSS
2. This shifter paddles which you can see starting at 0:31 for a few seconds (I think this looks to be fixed paddles which were announced in the introduction video of the CSW at E3 back in late 2011)
3. blurred new CSW rim at 0:54 and 0:59...

csstatic.jpg

Enhance...

Enhance...

Enhance...

zy0DZBh.jpg

Also:
q1rwlca.jpg

porsche_918_rsr_1_1_1.jpg
Porsche-918_RSR_Concept-2011-800-18.jpg

In case there was any doubt.

Thomas, you are killing my discretionary income.

Last edited:
Enhance...

Enhance...

Enhance...

zy0DZBh.jpg

Also:
q1rwlca.jpg

porsche_918_rsr_1_1_1.jpg
Porsche-918_RSR_Concept-2011-800-18.jpg

In case there was any doubt.

Thomas, you are killing my discretionary income.

Great work 👍

Looking forward to feeling the CSS. Hard to judge any hardware without touching it so I don't think it would be fair to comment either positively or negatively at the video just yet.

Oh yeah. I got my replacement CSW base in. There is definitely a noticeable difference between a broken in CSW and a new CSW.

While it could have been part of my issue, my old wheel felt mushy in comparison. Almost like the motors had lost a bit of their strength. I would say ~15%. When I booted up the new one, the first thing I realized was how much more crisp it was. Since it happened over time, I guess I never realized my previous base was weakening.

That being said, when I moved from my second to my third base, I did not notice this. I think my third base was just a slowly spoiling lemon. For those keeping count I am on my fourth base (Happily Fanatec customer service has been easy to deal with and expedient).

Great work 👍

Looking forward to feeling the CSS. Hard to judge any hardware without touching it so I don't think it would be fair to comment either positively or negatively at the video just yet.

You have to somehow make a judgement of a product's performance before you buy it though. Or at least that's my opinion. Sure the best test is to test it yourself, but still I would like to know 'how a product works' prior to actually making a decision on buying a product.

For the stationary shifter I hope Fanatec use a different shifter spring mechanism than the ones in the current CSW wheels. To be honest, I find the paddle shifter action a bit weak on the CSW rims.

I had the chance to go to the NY Auto Show in March and got to sit in the LFA Nurburgring Edition. That car has amazing paddle shifters (and pedals). The left and right paddle have their own distinct feel and the action is firm and definitive. When you press the paddle the spring back is almost immediate. To me this would be the ideal feel.

You have to somehow make a judgement of a product's performance before you buy it though. Or at least that's my opinion. Sure the best test is to test it yourself, but still I would like to know 'how a product works' prior to actually making a decision on buying a product.

Yeh it's just very hard to do. I didn't mean your not allowed to make, I meant its very hard to judge from a video and be fair!

I know that I'd part with my money for the shifter and that Porsche wheel rim.
But can you guys remember how long ago it was when we got this video
http://youtu.be/enuhpqGwOCs
and until the wheel was released?
Could be a long wait for the shifter, although I hope it's not!

I think (or hope) that the long time after the BMW rim introduction and the release was caused by improvements of the base. At the time of the announcment of the BMW rim they planned to release the CSW in November, December which was only 2 months away from the release of the video. But they decided to improve the whole base so everything was delayed.

So now only new rims are coming and the base is already released so I hope that there will be not too much time until the rim is released :)

My comparison is the for the release for the shifter.
Although I think it has been delayed enough and would hope to see it soon :)

Back