Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ review

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 468 comments
I personally used the SFA1 from Basher with the TH8 so I needed to recalibrate. Hence I could recognize why his only worked as a SQ as well.

My adapter outputs very closely what my Fanatec shifter puts out, but they (the Fanatec Porsche shifters) are all a little different because it's just pots in there rotating. :) That's why the Fanatec wheels have a calibration procedure for the shifter. It's actually a good idea, though it's caused some confusion over the years due to how it's implemented. :)

So in short, some people might be able to just hook it up and use it (the CSS) with no calibration and some might not. I would honestly recommend that everyone run through the calibration process whenever a new device is attached to the shifter port. While it may work, it might not be "right on" :) The calibration ensures that it is.

I was getting mad for a second my h pattern stopped working again, I could not figure out what the Hell was going on, then realized I had the full race trans in and you can't go h pattern with that.

My adapter outputs very closely what my Fanatec shifter puts out, but they (the Fanatec Porsche shifters) are all a little different because it's just pots in there rotating. :) That's why the Fanatec wheels have a calibration procedure for the shifter. It's actually a good idea, though it's caused some confusion over the years due to how it's implemented. :)

So in short, some people might be able to just hook it up and use it (the CSS) with no calibration and some might not. I would honestly recommend that everyone run through the calibration process whenever a new device is attached to the shifter port. While it may work, it might not be "right on" :) The calibration ensures that it is.

Any chance we might see a firmware to make the SFA1 into a TH8 emulation device for all non-Thrustmaster shifters so that we can use any of them with the PS3? So DSD sequentials and the CSS with USB adapter?

Any chance we might see a firmware to make the SFA1 into a TH8 emulation device for all non-Thrustmaster shifters so that we can use any of them with the PS3? So DSD sequentials and the CSS with USB adapter?

Sorry, no chance. Though, I'm surprised Fanatec hasn't hijacked the USB vendor and product ID for the TH8RS and added it to their USB adapter for the CSS. Maybe that's part of the delay.

You know, one of these days, a company like Logitech, Thrustmaster or even Immersion is going to take umbrage with these tactics. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that...

Sorry, no chance. Though, I'm surprised Fanatec hasn't hijacked the USB vendor and product ID for the TH8RS and added it to their USB adapter for the CSS. Maybe that's part of the delay.

You know, one of these days, a company like Logitech, Thrustmaster or even Immersion is going to take umbrage with these tactics. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that...

I have no clue if they did or did not do so. Still need to receive a dongle for mine.

I wonder if its a crime to MAC spoof as well. Which is also vendor specific and results in you acting like a different device on your network than you are.
Personally I see this as the same thing, but who am I to judge. Your decision is understandable of not wanting to get into this grey area.

I wonder if its a crime to MAC spoof as well. Which is also vendor specific and results in you acting like a different device on your network than you are.
Personally I see this as the same thing, but who am I to judge. Your decision is understandable of not wanting to get into this grey area.

Well neither case is actually a crime, at least not in the US. However, it may be grounds for a lawsuit depending the circumstances. Changing your MAC to get into someone's wireless router and do harm, would be bad... Changing your MAC so your new router works with your cable modem, is normal. The same goes for the USB vendor and product ID. If a person wants to "fiddle around" at home to make something work like what you suggest, nobody will likely care.

In either case... Using such a designation as some sort of security or protection is rather futile. ;) As has been shown repeatedly.

Well neither case is actually a crime, at least not in the US. However, it may be grounds for a lawsuit depending the circumstances. Changing your MAC to get into someone's wireless router and do harm, would be bad... Changing your MAC so your new router works with your cable modem, is normal. The same goes for the USB vendor and product ID. If a person wants to "fiddle around" at home to make something work like what you suggest, nobody will likely care.

In either case... Using such a designation as some sort of security or protection is rather futile. ;) As has been shown repeatedly.

True. I never said any ID's would work as protection, but the US law system is different from what we have in Europe. So things can be viewed differently and was not sure how such things would be taken.

I guess I will have to break out the ol' fiddle at some point (oh wait, I only got a guitar :dunce:). Though I don't feel like it right now, as I have other stuff to do first.
I just hate switching all my gear on the rig when I basically only want to swap the wheels when necessary for some FFB comparisons. Hence the question earlier. ;)
I even grabbed a normal table and put the T500 on it for now, as I just put the CSW on the rSeat and didn't want to get it off again. I just needed the T500 because it simple has better FFB in GT6 and I just want to get my money's worth of entertainment out of that game at this point in time.

I am just being lazy I guess. :lol:
Although it does take a fair bit of time each time I do it. Maybe its just time to switch to a modular Lego (80/20) rig. :rolleyes:

Just got back from a week Tenerife, 2 boxes were waiting for me...Installed and like it a lot ;)

Only issue now is the FFB in GT6 but i'm not the only one reading the forum...

TheHawk........did you buy some sort of cable to extend the shifter to plug into the wheel? I read the stock cable is only about 15 inches (380mm) long??
Thanks

DISREGARD!!! The review I read that gave that link was for a guy using the ps2 connector on Porsche wheel.

Last edited:

Could you be so kind and guide me how to calibrate my CSS. I tried it on GT5 and Assetto Corsa and on both games are recognized only the 4th and 6th gear, rest is a mess...

For anyone else that doesn't feel like watching the video. I send this out with all of my shifter adapters:

Shifter Calibration for ClubSport Wheel:
- Power on the wheel
- Connect the wheel and choose PS3 or PC mode
- Press the black button on the bottom right and the tuning button
- The LED display will show G_n
- Put the shifter in neutral and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_r
- Put the shifter in reverse and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_1
- Put the shifter in 1st gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_2
- Put the shifter in 2nd gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_3
- Put the shifter in 3rd gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_4
- Put the shifter in 4th gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_5
- Put the shifter in 5th gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_6
- Put the shifter in 6th gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- The display will now change to G_7
- Put the shifter in 7th gear and press the black button on the bottom right
- Press the black button on the bottom right again to exit the menu

Received my CSS today and the table clamp. But of course the usb adapter is missing despite everything is at shipped status so it´s rendered useless :(. It´s not hidden within the shifter or something. I am desperate ;) I only got some RJ type cables and the Fanatec PS/2 connector.

Received my CSS today and the table clamp. But of course the usb adapter is missing despite everything is at shipped status so it´s rendered useless :(. It´s not hidden within the shifter or something. I am desperate ;) I only got some RJ type cables and the Fanatec PS/2 connector.

Shouldn't need usb, mine plugged right into the steering wheel Using the phone Jack looking cable.

What says I got a Fanatec wheel ;).

I dry simmed a bit and I think it will be al right. Bulky but I think I got a good enough position of it had to lower my HOTAS arm on my nixim cockpit a lot though. But there is some benefits to that it´s now resting a bit on my racing chair and the entire cockpit shakes when I engage the gears as a result because there is some real mass you move when you shift!.

The gears go in naturally I have no problem at all skipping gears. At max tension the gearbox is a bit slow but it still feels solid when loosening it up some to allow more speed shifting. Adjustment bolt work as intended here ;) Sequential mode should be okay also. At first I thought it would be a bit to bulky compared to the TH8 RS but loosening up the tension a bit yes it will work great as a seq shifter too and much easier to switch. Dedicated similarly priced alternatives should be better of course but it will do the job great. Hope I will be so lucky I will find a level where I can run the same tension both for H and sequential. I am lazy. Time will tell.

Another thing I didn´t expect is that mine appear to be quite a bit more quiet then what I heard of it before. Don´t know if they changed switches but it´s more silent then the old Fanatec shifters for me which some videos didn´t indicate.

Not as stealthy as a TH8RS but who knows if I make it just as soft perhaps it is... Anyway relieved about this.

As for the seventh gear not sure what use I will have for that. There is no way anyone want to use this for competitive racing as it take an eon to go from 6th to 7th and I doubt it will ever feel like second nature to suddenly have to press down. I think I may find some use for it in Euro Truck Simulator 2 to engage the upper tiers of gears but it´s really not necessary. I suppose just something that came free with the design of the reverse but it´s not a selling argument to get the USB version just for that.

Fanatec say end of january. Wonder what is the problem stocking simple USB adapters particularly when the shifter is quite delayed.

Oh well hopefully it´s not a DOA unit. The table clamp did just adopt my HOTAS setup arm on my nixim cockpit okay it protrudes a pair of mm but should work out okay without having to permanently mount ito Would be easilly fixed with a thin bit of plywood but I don´t think that would be necessary . I had to tighten the arm to the max but now the arm is rock solid. This cockpit just never fails me :)

Just got my CSS about a week ago now, and it just started getting stuck in 5th and 6th on a downshift to either 3rd or 4th unless I pushed the shifter all the way left then came back to 3 and 4. Was curious, did u take the hall sensor all the way off and clean it or jus hit it with air with it still on? Theres def a good amount of grease on everything in there

Just got my CSS about a week ago now, and it just started getting stuck in 5th and 6th on a downshift to either 3rd or 4th unless I pushed the shifter all the way left then came back to 3 and 4. Was curious, did u take the hall sensor all the way off and clean it or jus hit it with air with it still on? Theres def a good amount of grease on everything in there

Well failed to mention this happened after i downgraded my firmware and recalibrated afterwards. Didn't have compressed air, jus used a lil bit of lung power but no change. Tried recalibrating a couple times making sure to hit each gear perfectly and moving the shifter left to right in neutral after each gear input and low an behold seems to be working ok now. Hopefully this isn't gona be a serious issue...

I received my CSS SQ. It is a lovely piece of equipment and very well made.

I was very disappointed to find out that I could not readily connect it to my wheel because the connection cables provided were not long enough to reach from the shifter to my CSR-E wheel. It is not that I have an exotic rig. I have a Playseat WRC rig with the shifter mount, It is conveniently located adjacent to the seat and really not far from the wheel.

I find it amazing that Fanatec didn't provide a connection cable sufficiently long to reach from the wheel to the shifter. I was able to solve the problem by cutting and splicing two of the cables provided. This was made more difficult because the color coding from the cables is not the same so I had to carefully study the pin/color connection on each cable and then cut and solder the appropriate wires together. Connecting the wires would be a very, very difficult task except I have a professional electronic wire stripper that allowed me to strip the very small wires (24 gauge) in the cables. One also need an electronic grade soldering iron which many people don't have.

I assume that Fanatec has provide connectors suitable for their racing seat but it would be a lot better if they would think that not everyone has their seat. The total connector length I needed was less than 1 meter so it's not like a huge demand.

With this frustration behind me I am now ready to move on to racing with it. I will report on my experiences with it.

Please do report back RReed43. I have one pre-ordered even though I don't have a Fanatec wheel and the usb adaptor seems to be MIA.

I really REALLY want the CSW and I just can't pull the trigger with issues people have had :( I love my CSPv2's though. Best purchase I have made yet, which is what is driving my wheel want and forced me to pre-order the Shifter LOL

I find it amazing that Fanatec didn't provide a connection cable sufficiently long to reach from the wheel to the shifter.

I wonder if yours was packed with a different cable than mine as I had length to spare mounting my shifter on my Obutto which judging by a picture of the Playseat WRC would need less cable to make the wheel to shifter connection. I just measured my cable out of curiosity and it's over 6ft long. At any rate it's a simple, cheap and readily available RJ12 phone cable

Last edited:
I wonder if yours was packed with a different cable than mine as I had length to spare mounting my shifter on my Obutto which judging by a picture of the Playseat WRC would need less cable to make the wheel to shifter connection. I just measured my cable out of curiosity and it's over 6ft long. At any rate it's a simple, cheap and readily available RJ12 phone cable
Perhaps mine was not properly provisioned. I also thought a phone cable would work but while the plug is a RJ12 the shifter cable uses five wires while a standard phone cable only has two wires.

You can buy phone cables with the proper amount of conductors.....an RJ12 cable has 6 conductors. The CSR-E and the the CSS-SQ both use an RJ12 (6 conductor) connection port so an RJ12 cable should cover that application (not sure how many of the conductors Fanatec actually uses)

Kinda sounds like yours wasn't packed with the same cables I received as mine came with a 6 foot cable and a serial port adapter cable to connect the shifter to older Fanatec wheels.

With all that said Fanatec should be making sure the proper cables are being shipped to customers and in my opinion should be AT LEAST 6 feet in length to fit most rigs......8-10 feet would be ideal IMO as that should fit pretty much every rig out there and allow the end user to hide the cable easily.

Actually, before you go buy something like this, make sure it's the right cable as they are not all the same. They are called straight through cables which means they preserve the pin order on each end. Often cables have them swapped, so pin 1 is pin 6 on the other end. This won't work for this purpose. We have these at work for our digital phone system and they are NOT straight through.

Here is an example of one that should work: http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10222&cs_id=1022202&p_id=938&seq=1&format=2 (silver unfortunately, black is difficult to find)

Also, I've already had several people ask me to make them cables for this. Apparently Fanatec assumes everyone wants to mount the shifter up on the desk next to the wheel? :) Just kidding, but it does sound like they are only including short cables.

I got two cables the longest was 1 metre. I suppose it may work as I do want the shifter close to the wheel but would still be borderline. Amazing where companies shave their costs.

Hello, guys, central pin(core) my CSS SQ has rotation .
All shifters have same problem or I need turn back my shifter?
Thanks.

Is it really a problem though? I have the same but I have no way to really try it out as I have no usb adapter yet.

Trying to use it while running GT 6 replays is the closest I got. For me I can´t say I notice the wobble while racing.

Mine does this too. I don't know if it is normal or not. The shifter works fine though.

Back