Fanatec Reveals Direct Drive ClubSport DD and DD+ Wheel Bases: Available to Pre-Order Now

• Thread starter Famine
  • 485 comments
So does GT7 get an update that allows grown men/women who have spent over £1000 on a "Logitech" product to be responsible enough to take care with the power output and get to experience their product at its full capacity it was designed to be used?

What is the true story behind all this, is it competitive posturing with different companies/licencing agreements or exclusivity periods?
Seriously, it will be a hoot if Fanatec can have thier products operate at full capacity with GT7 while models like Logitech's are restricted.

As a news article, it would be interesting to have confirmation from Sony/Polyphony representatives why or when any restrictions with power output on wheels with GT7 can be resolved?

If it cant or wont be changed, based on safety or other legal concerns, are consumers going to then be duped into buying very powerful DD motors to then perhaps find in the near future other studios and titles follow the same path by restricting in their own titles what the max power output can be?
Last I heard the temporary restriction was implemented as a result of a glitch, and removed with the update that removed the glitch, and Logitech wheels were not affected.

This was over a year ago:
Update adjusting FFB: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_3170146.html

Notice about FFB adjustment: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_4085673.html

Update resolving issue: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_8607246.html

Are you talking about something different?

Yeah, it seems like somewhere between pure marketing and actually detrimental. How much torque do two-strokes have these days? Because that feels like about the level of a racey 125 two-stroke. Most people avoid putting their fingers in the back wheel of a motorcycle.

There's so many other things that could make a wheel actually better to use, but I imagine this is easy because you can just stick a bigger motor in.
Its about detail and what can be sustained without fading. Its not about running constant 11 nm or something. Now the Fanatec wheel fade and cant hold that so the numbers is certainly played with.

Last I heard the temporary restriction was implemented as a result of a glitch, and removed with the update that removed the glitch, and Logitech wheels were not affected. The problem is

This was over a year ago:
Update adjusting FFB: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_3170146.html

Notice about FFB adjustment: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_4085673.html

Update resolving issue: https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt7/news/00_8607246.html

Are you talking about something different?
Have a look in the Logitech GT Pro thread
I've not played the game in a while but the topic of the wheels output being restricted has been brought up several times.

Not aware if GT7 has been fully resolved but that is not the only issue I raise about new products supporting features to entice people to buy the products if then the support of those features is then ignored by leading studios?

Seems that, console titles are not treated the same as PC titles or that the wheel will even feel the same on multiplatform releases....
It will be interesting to see how this new Fanatec wheel compares to the other top line PS5 compatible wheels, including the "GT PRO"

Part of the comparison could also be with how each is able to apply "additional feedback" from their force systems.

After, over a year of release TRUEFOCE is clearly not getting the support from developers. It just seems that Logitech have not really tried that hard to ensure leading studios, not only incorporate it into titles but do so to ensure it is both well implemented but also gives the users more individual control for various sensations. GT7 even lacks at doing this for key specific effects underusing the potential it has and with no update ever improving this aspect for TRUEFORCE enabled wheels.

What we get told is, that its upto developers how the technology is used but as a highlighted/advertised feature of that product how much use is it, if highly popular titles do not see updates/improvements with it or that exciting new titles releasing like (Forza Motorsport) do not even support it? What a bummer eh...

I have a haunch that perhaps WRC will have support we will find out soon. So, some hope that Logitech with WRC / EA have a closer working relationship and is this the title or time-frame for a new wheel rim or shifter/handbrake is coming.

Owners of the GT PRO are just getting fed up with Logitech when they see other brands of wheels from much smaller companies offering multiple rims or wheel addons.

It just feels like something else behind the scenes is at play or its down to "money/agreements" for studios/developers as to which "special features" for certain products they may or may not give support or give preference for.

So, one aspect some are not even discussing is that, it will be interesting to see how this new feature from Fanatec will be utilised or indeed supported by different studios and importantly in the current/latest titles compared to TRUEFORCE.

Last edited:
Looks interesting but tell me please......

So does GT7 get an update that allows grown men/women who have spent over £1000 on a "Logitech" product to be responsible enough to take care with the power output and get to experience their product at its full capacity it was designed to be used?

What is the true story behind all this, is it competitive posturing with different companies/licencing agreements or exclusivity periods?
Seriously, it will be a hoot if Fanatec can have thier products operate at full capacity with GT7 while models like Logitech's are restricted.

As a news article, it would be interesting to have confirmation from Sony/Polyphony representatives why or when any restrictions with power output on wheels with GT7 can be resolved?

If it cant or wont be changed, based on safety or other legal concerns, are consumers going to then be duped into buying very powerful DD motors to then perhaps find in the near future other studios and titles follow the same path by restricting in their own titles what the max power output can be?
If people are going to spend £1000 on a piece of equipment it's probably best to use it on a proper simulation like AAC etc that have excellent force feedback so I personally wouldn't be too bothered if Gran turismo games reduced the power. But yes agree hopefully other studios don't follow.

If people are going to spend £1000 on a piece of equipment it's probably best to use it on a proper simulation like AAC etc that have excellent force feedback so I personally wouldn't be too bothered if Gran turismo games reduced the power. But yes agree hopefully other studios don't follow.
Given how the unreal engine is apparently 💩 for VR and that anything from ea or acc is unlikely to support VR in the near..or medium future.. I will be greatly bothered if PD doesn’t work to improve and support new wheels and features. Heck, I’m kinda ticked, given how good the rumbles are on the controller, that PD doesn’t fully support the V3 pedals. There is literally a single option for people who have to stay in. Apples universe for work, to drive with decent VR and its gt7 and ps5. Soooo..yeah. That comes with expectations and pressure. 😬

Eta: anyone else think that pedals are now the glaring hole in fanatecs ecosystem? I know people love the v2’s, often much more than the v3’s, which is kinda my point. Also, why the heck isn’t fanatec putting butkickeresque tech in to the pedals and pedal base?

Less chat, more splat. PD / Fanatec …pls&thanks..

Last edited:
I've got the GT DD with the boost kit and I genuinely don't understand why people need more torque. It seems like some kinda sim rig wiener (can I say that here?) measuring contest.

Mine already generates more than enough torque to hurt my wrists. The G25 I used to have was fine in terms of torque itself.

I'm sure someone will say something about the difference being able to feel the smaller details but.. I don't get it. In theory, you'd have more pronounced details but then actual hard stuff will definitely hurt your wrists

Instead, they should make a wheel or hub attachment somehow that adds multi-function stalks that allows dedicated inputs for turn signals, headlights/high beams, wipers, and cruise control.
In my experience, FFB strength is something you "grow into" over time. I started out with a normal CSL elite, got a DD Pro because a DD1 wasn't available, and then got a DD1 as soon as I could find one. I started at 15nm, and over the course of 2 weeks worked my way up to where I could make use of the full 20nm. Sure, there are some situations where my raw pace will suffer because I can't go from side to side quick enough (turn 1-2 at NBG 24 comes to mind with its slow, successive sharp turns), but its not much. A lot of me wanting to use that much torque is for realism, and the more pronounced details that you spoke of. In Gran Tursmo at least, I'm never at a loss of information for what the car is doing. In ACC, admittedly I could stand to lower the torque some, but I choose not to because I think its fun to have to wrestle around the car. Can you injure yourself with that much torque? Sure you can. But its up to the user to decide how much strength they want to use, and be in good enough physical condition and/or know their own limitations.

On the topic of this new DD base. I think 15nm is the sweet spot for most players. I'm intrigued by this new technology they're implementing. At first I was bummed that it wouldn't be an update for all bases (although I figured it wouldn't), but if its that much of a game changer, I'll just go the cheaper route and add base shakers to my rig. Even if they made a 20nm version of this down the road, I'd probably still stick with my current base. The new cooling technology or whatever that they're adding is a good thing. My wheel base gets uncomfortably hot during long stints at full torque. So much so that I recently bought a computer fan, and taped it to the back of my base to assist with cooling. Running the GTWS race at Nurburgring for back to back 90 minute races yesterday, and my base was as cool as a cucumber.

IMG_3732.jpeg

Last edited:
Given the similarities to the DD Pro 8nm… do we get the software update, or is that restricted to new products going forward?

If you are on PlayStation, it is a big dealbreaker inconvenience to need to fool around with a cheap windows laptop to install firmware on base and wheel and pedals with USB cords. Yuck.

Fanatec, please put in a wireless module and OTA updates from an iPhone app!

Huge pita to update my Gt dd pro to the point that I replaced it with Logitech pro and I maybe sorta miss Fanatec feel, but NOT the hardware hassle of Arkane Windows PC stuff

If you are on PlayStation, it is a big dealbreaker inconvenience to need to fool around with a cheap windows laptop to install firmware on base and wheel and pedals with USB cords. Yuck.

Fanatec, please put in a wireless module and OTA updates from an iPhone app!

Huge pita to update my Gt dd pro to the point that I replaced it with Logitech pro and I maybe sorta miss Fanatec feel, but NOT the hardware hassle of Arkane Windows PC stuff
Not everyone has an iPhone

You have a >1k $ phone but you can't afford a ~150$ (windows) laptop? 💩
If you do buy the gimp laptop be careful. Im all mac’s as well so went to best buy and picked up a trash lappy. Couldn’t get the cheapest one though because apparently windows gimps them and they won’t run the drivers. Sorry can’t remember what it was called. Just ask. It was dumb, but necessary

Taking the GT Pro as an example or indeed Fanatecs offerings. It seems plenty of console owners without a gaming PC are willing to spend so much and often this is based on their desire to play their most liked racing franchise. So it kind of sucks. If console hardware or customers do not or cannot enjoy their purchase fully because of restrictions in certain titles. Or for whatever reasons studios/developers or indeed Microsoft/Sony deem console players are treated differently to PC gamers.

I don't think console gamers want to just make do with lesser quality FFB detailing or power, espically if they spend all that money on the top wheel/hardware.

Last edited:
it is only available as a bundle with the La Prima Formula wheel for 1050€.
The La Prima is available stand-alone at 788€ (630 excl. VAT).

Crazy. Where are the affordable good starter wheels? I'm very casual with GT7. But I love playing with a Wheel. But I prefer not to pay more than the console cost for an accessory. So a wheel max €350. That is good. Better than the G920. And is PlayStation Official.
So far from what I've seen it's €700 for a decent wheel. Or €400+ for average.

And I mean Wheel, Pedals and shifter. Not just a drive.

Last edited:
Crazy. Where are the affordable good starter wheels? I'm very casual with GT7. But I love playing with a Wheel. But I prefer not to pay more than the console cost for an accessory. So a wheel max €350. That is good. Better than the G920. And is PlayStation Official.

I don't see a 350 eur DD bundle ever happening (for PS), much less with clutch and shifter.

Best case scenario here is a price drop on the GT DD bundle.

Looks interesting but tell me please......

This right here.
PD nerfed the FFB on Fanatec.
Right around the same time that PD gave the FFB levels back, they nerfed the Logitech G Pro wheel. Logitech says they're working with PD on it right now to get it fixed. We shall see about that.
I say just add something into the TOS that says we won't/can't sue PD or Sony or the wheel base mfg etc if we get a little banged up.
Like you said, we're adults who forked over some good $ to have what we wanted only to be taken away by some scared game maker.

Last I heard the temporary restriction was implemented as a result of a glitch, and removed with the update that removed the glitch, and Logitech wheels were not affected.
The Logitech Pro wheel wasn't affected when PD 1st watered down the Fanatac stuff. Unfortunately, PD has recently (couple updates ago) neutered Logitech over "safety concerns." I'm not sure if it's a specific glitch or what the concern might be. I just know that, according to one of Logitech's product managers, their working on it.

At 2:33: "this is very comparable to the Asetek La Prima and Forte. I think they trade blows really well, but this one has a thing called FullForce..."

Will be interesting to see what exactly FullForce is and what it brings to the table. It will need to be supported by the sim titles and biggest games out there.

You have a >1k $ phone but you can't afford a ~150$ (windows) laptop? 💩

I guess you were making an assumption that it’s somehow money related

It has nothing to do with the money

It has to do with my lack of wanting to deal with windows crap and bending over to unscrew things on my pedals, just so I can access the USB socket.

I tried doing firmware upgrades, and I couldn’t get it all to work easily - unreliable.

Additionally, I had a bit of a hardware problem with the RJ, 11 style phone jack connector socket that pulled off of the PCB of the wheelbase

At first I re-soldered it and it worked for a while, but it got bumped or something and I had to replace a PCB and then I got stuck where I could not update some firmware

So I decommissioned it and put it on the shelf

I decided to try the logitech pro and that’s what I’m using right now.

The logitech pro has better steering wheel, buttons and selectors maybe, but this idea of giving a 3-D feel probably isn’t so good when compared to Fanatec.

Anyways - my point was/is that I do GT7 because I can quickly get into races and do not have to mess with Windows maintenance and security and other time consuming horrible tasks.

Better still get together with Sony and Microsoft to agree a solution to update 3rd party hardware directly from the Playstation or Xbox.
For sure they should do that

They tout that they are compatible with PlayStation, but half the buttons on the steering wheel don’t work on the gt dd pro fanatec.

Someone will tell you that “real racers, use iracing”. But that’s no excuse as far as I’m concerned. “Yer gonna be on a windows pc so why you need ota firmware from an app?” Ya ya. I know that already and it misses the point.

Fanatec inability to understand reminds me a lot of how Apple can easily dominate in so many computer related fields.

This right here.
PD nerfed the FFB on Fanatec.
Right around the same time that PD gave the FFB levels back, they nerfed the Logitech G Pro wheel. Logitech says they're working with PD on it right now to get it fixed. We shall see about that.
I say just add something into the TOS that says we won't/can't sue PD or Sony or the wheel base mfg etc if we get a little banged up.
Like you said, we're adults who forked over some good $ to have what we wanted only to be taken away by some scared game maker.

The Logitech Pro wheel wasn't affected when PD 1st watered down the Fanatac stuff. Unfortunately, PD has recently (couple updates ago) neutered Logitech over "safety concerns." I'm not sure if it's a specific glitch or what the concern might be. I just know that, according to one of Logitech's product managers, their working on it.

I call BS on the whole torque issue.

I’d like to bet money on it some day.

Also - a driver should not also need to be a computer nerd to do bug fixes and firmware updates. It’s horrible.

Forget about price.

Looking for “best price” is ludicrous.

If you’ve spent 120 hours or more playing GT seven do you really think it should matter if you’ve spent $1000 or $3000?

I know the answer is yes you do care but I’m saying that if you’re looking for dollar values it’s just a bad way to go.

Try looking at it from a different perspective. How much does it cost you per hour?

Your time is worth more than trying to save 50 bucks

Last edited:
It's a shame there's no brick and mortar retailers (I know, what are those in 2023?!) where you can test drive some of this stuff. I'm perfectly happy with my GT DD Pro base, but I don't have anything to compare it to and no way to do so. I don't have a big problem with the idea of selling my existing base and buying the new 15Nm Playstation base when it's available--if I knew there's really a noticeable difference in enjoyment. Guess I'll have to wait for user reviews to start rolling in after real people get their hands on it.

It's a shame there's no brick and mortar retailers (I know, what are those in 2023?!) where you can test drive some of this stuff. I'm perfectly happy with my GT DD Pro base, but I don't have anything to compare it to and no way to do so. I don't have a big problem with the idea of selling my existing base and buying the new 15Nm Playstation base when it's available--if I knew there's really a noticeable difference in enjoyment. Guess I'll have to wait for user reviews to start rolling in after real people get their hands on it.

If money is not an issue, then I think it’s a no-brainer. Like mentioned before, FFB is something you grow into. There’s not many scenarios I can think of where having a wheelbase that’s capable of providing more than you need is a bad thing. Personally, now that I have a stout base, I couldn’t imagine playing any sim title with less than 15nm. With more torque, the finer details become amplified. It may not make you faster, but it definitely makes games more enjoyable IMO.

Not everyone has an iPhone
I guess I should’ve said smartphone

Everyone does have one of those right?

It’s ludicrous to have to screw around accessing a USB jack even yes I had a USB cord permanently attached and dangling out of the fanatec foot pedals just so I really wouldn’t have to get the hex wrenches out.

If you ever get advice from FanaTec to reboot your PC or deinstall this, and reinstall that you were getting a taste of what I will not do. I refuse.

Lazy and/or underpaid hardware engineers

In my experience, FFB strength is something you "grow into" over time. I started out with a normal CSL elite, got a DD Pro because a DD1 wasn't available, and then got a DD1 as soon as I could find one. I started at 15nm, and over the course of 2 weeks worked my way up to where I could make use of the full 20nm. Sure, there are some situations where my raw pace will suffer because I can't go from side to side quick enough (turn 1-2 at NBG 24 comes to mind with its slow, successive sharp turns), but its not much. A lot of me wanting to use that much torque is for realism, and the more pronounced details that you spoke of. In Gran Tursmo at least, I'm never at a loss of information for what the car is doing. In ACC, admittedly I could stand to lower the torque some, but I choose not to because I think its fun to have to wrestle around the car. Can you injure yourself with that much torque? Sure you can. But its up to the user to decide how much strength they want to use, and be in good enough physical condition and/or know their own limitations.

On the topic of this new DD base. I think 15nm is the sweet spot for most players. I'm intrigued by this new technology they're implementing. At first I was bummed that it wouldn't be an update for all bases (although I figured it wouldn't), but if its that much of a game changer, I'll just go the cheaper route and add base shakers to my rig. Even if they made a 20nm version of this down the road, I'd probably still stick with my current base. The new cooling technology or whatever that they're adding is a good thing. My wheel base gets uncomfortably hot during long stints at full torque. So much so that I recently bought a computer fan, and taped it to the back of my base to assist with cooling. Running the GTWS race at Nurburgring for back to back 90 minute races yesterday, and my base was as cool as a cucumber.

View attachment 1295585
Real cars don’t even have 15 newton meters of torque. Haha. Power steering.

You do not need to be a muscle man to drive fast on a sim rig I don’t think.

Maybe I am wrong. :)

In all Sim racing we are taking whatever feedback we can get whether it be a little vibrator motor on your bum or your foot. It might not be the exact same as a real car but your mind can convert it into stimuli and make a reaction accordingly.

Real cars don’t even have 15 newton meters of torque. Haha. Power steering.

You do not need to be a muscle man to drive fast on a sim rig I don’t think.

Maybe I am wrong. :)

In all Sim racing we are taking whatever feedback we can get whether it be a little vibrator motor on your bum or your foot. It might not be the exact same as a real car but your mind can convert it into stimuli and make a reaction accordingly.
Not negating anything you said, because it’s “mostly” true. But there are a lot of race cars out there that are well in access of 15nm at the wheel. A LOT.

Besides, FFB in a sim racing title is meant to emulate the forces we can’t feel…like lateral-G’s and seat if the pants sensations if we don’t have base shakers.

…and my man. Look at how much this well-renowned driver is fighting this radical. He’s dealing with MUCH MORE torque than 15nm

Last edited:
Not negating anything you said, because it’s “mostly” true. But there are a lot of race cars out there that are well in access of 15nm at the wheel. A LOT.

Besides, FFB in a sim racing title is meant to emulate the forces we can’t feel…like lateral-G’s and seat if the pants sensations if we don’t have base shakers.

…and my man. Look at how much this well-renowned driver is fighting this radical. He’s dealing with MUCH MORE torque than 15nm

You are right. Thanks for the video also!

Yah. I’ll go for it if it’s best, but prolly I’ll dial down the nm. It’s personal preference and you are totally right that certain kinds of driving do have thumb breaking steering wheel action. You always do get trained not to put your thumb around behind wheel spokes for that reason.

At 4:49, the Fanatec engineer says that they're working with game devs to provide FullForce support, they are focusing on Gran Turismo and iRacing at the moment, and then Assetto Corsa.

Has anyone seen any dimension specs on this thing? I need to wait for the PS5 version before I even think about buying, but I wonder how it will fit on my rig. Unlike the GT DD, there's really no length of shaft protruding out of the base. The steering wheel just connects close to the base itself. Wondering if the overall longer dimension of this new unit is close to equal to the total length of the GT DD including the base itself and the shaft that sticks out of it and attaches to the steering wheel.

If money is not an issue, then I think it’s a no-brainer. Like mentioned before, FFB is something you grow into. There’s not many scenarios I can think of where having a wheelbase that’s capable of providing more than you need is a bad thing. Personally, now that I have a stout base, I couldn’t imagine playing any sim title with less than 15nm. With more torque, the finer details become amplified. It may not make you faster, but it definitely makes games more enjoyable IMO.
I'll probably end up buying it, but I'm going to want to hear people's feedback first. Whether or not I actually control myself and truly wait for that feedback to roll in rather than just buying it on day one remains to be seen LOL

Last edited:
I'll probably end up buying it, but I'm going to want to hear people's feedback first. Whether or not I actually control myself and truly wait for that feedback to roll in rather than just buying it on day one remains to be seen LOL
Completely understandable. Its a lot of $$$. When the original reviews came out for the DD Pro and a lot of the streamers were saying it was the best thing to happen to society next to Big Macs, and just as good as their DD1's..... I was like....."Really, Felicia?"

But alas, what I really wanted was out of stock, and I couldn't resist, so I bought a DD pro. Coming from a CSL elite, I'd say the DD Pro was probably 30% better. Definitely better, mind you. But not the "game changer" that everyone claimed. When I went to a DD1, That for me was a game changer. My aim in sim racing was to pursue realism. And having a base that could simulate the torque values of anything I drove, coupled with VR. Yeah... it's pretty awesome. The current podium series seems to be on borrowed time - with the PS compatible DD1 seemingly discontinued. I would expect that to be updated this time next year. But my honest opinion is that this new CSW is really all 95% of us need. They said that they didn't really leave any room for overhead torque - that 15nm is exactly what you get. Whereas the DD1 has a 20nm "max" for spikes and such....but in reality, it's closer to 15nm holding torque. There's ways to coax more out of it, but its not necessary to the overall experience.

Personally, if I hadn't come across a DD1, and was still using my DD Pro as my primary base, it would be a no-brainer. I'd be pre-ordering this wheel

The lack of PS5 options is infuriating. I understand it's Sony's fault, I understand there are work aroundz, but God damn...
$800 for the 8nm Gran Turismo kit add another $140 for a brake pedal that aren't garbage. Or $1000 for the new PS5 base, 200 for the load cell pedals, and you still need a wheel for another 200?
So 950+tax or 1400+tax just to have a DD wheel for PS5.

My T300 has served me well for the past 9 or 10 years, but this past Saturday I broke my brake pedal in half. Replacing a dinosaur seems like a bad investment, and upgrading to DD is a big investment with minimal options, especially when I play less now than I ever have.

At the end of the day, if I only really play Gran Turismo, is it even worth it? 5nm, 8nm, 15nm, at what point do we hit diminishing returns if I'm not playing a real simulator like iRacing or something?

Feels like I'm in limbo mode. Wait for the new DD+ with intent to buy? Wait for it to see if the GT option gets a price cut? Wait for potential Black Friday sales? Or just buy the 5 or 8nm option now, and move on with my life.

How impactful are we expecting this Fullforce to be?

$1k+ is a tough sell right now when the CSL DD is going for $200. Could invest that money saved into iRacing and never look back.

Paralysis Analysis.

The lack of PS5 options is infuriating. I understand it's Sony's fault, I understand there are work aroundz, but God damn...
$800 for the 8nm Gran Turismo kit add another $140 for a brake pedal that aren't garbage. Or $1000 for the new PS5 base, 200 for the load cell pedals, and you still need a wheel for another 200?
So 950+tax or 1400+tax just to have a DD wheel for PS5.

My T300 has served me well for the past 9 or 10 years, but this past Saturday I broke my brake pedal in half. Replacing a dinosaur seems like a bad investment, and upgrading to DD is a big investment with minimal options, especially when I play less now than I ever have.

At the end of the day, if I only really play Gran Turismo, is it even worth it? 5nm, 8nm, 15nm, at what point do we hit diminishing returns if I'm not playing a real simulator like iRacing or something?

Feels like I'm in limbo mode. Wait for the new DD+ with intent to buy? Wait for it to see if the GT option gets a price cut? Wait for potential Black Friday sales? Or just buy the 5 or 8nm option now, and move on with my life.

How impactful are we expecting this Fullforce to be?

$1k+ is a tough sell right now when the CSL DD is going for $200. Could invest that money saved into iRacing and never look back.

Paralysis Analysis.

Unless you have a craving for a lot of torque, I think the best deal going right now is Fanatec's DD Pro.

Where you at in California?

Back