Feminism?

You will if that's what you want. If what I'm saying is true (and it has to be true to at least some extent), it's a choice.

I agree that women more than men stunt their own income by becoming content with their position and income, and it is a choice to either stay where you are or go for a higher salary. I am a perfect example, I have the education and credentials to do anything I want in nursing yet my choice is to stay in the ER. I have spend time in administration and private practice and while the salary was nice, it couldn't keep me from the satisfaction of helping someone when they need it the most.

IMO nursing is one of the best examples of the reality of gender pay gap because, while the gap is there across all specialties it actually rises as you go up to the higher paid positions. The more educated a woman becomes and the more motivated she is to reach the top of her profession, the further she falls behind.

91% of nurses are female and on average make over $5000 less per year than men do across all the different nursing specialties. The higher salary positions where men seem to be more focused are even worse. Men make up 44% of nurse anesthetist's and make $17,000 a year more, female nurse practitioners make on average $11,000 less than men do the same job. Hours worked are not a factor, whether paid and hourly rate or yearly salary nurse male or female work LONG hours.

I made a choice of which rung of the ladder I want to hang on, I would like to see that everyone on that particular rung with equal education, equal qualifications and equal hours gets equal pay.

IMO nursing is one of the best examples of the reality of gender pay gap because, while the gap is there across all specialties it actually rises as you go up to the higher paid positions. The more educated a woman becomes and the more motivated she is to reach the top of her profession, the further she falls behind.

My wife is an attorney. She makes more than twice what I make (and I do ok). She gets paid less than she should compared to her male counterparts, but it's because she chooses to. To be fair, men do it too when they can.

I made a choice of which rung of the ladder I want to hang on, I would like to see that everyone on that particular rung with equal education, equal qualifications and equal hours gets equal pay.

Education, qualifications, and hours worked are meaningless - they should never have anything to do with pay. I have a good friend who thinks he should command a high salary just because he got his master's in engineering from MIT. I danced circles around him at work. PhDs are often times even worse. I think often times, especially in engineering, a PhD is an indication that you're not serious about actually making anything. To me, those guys get picked last. All of the people that I worked with who really busted their rears and made a difference didn't have one.

Hours worked are often the highest with the people getting the least traction. Some of the busiest, most unavailable people I've ever worked with, who were constantly at work until midnight, were people who weren't effective at their jobs and were compensating by working longer. It took them twice as long to do the job, so they spent twice as long doing it.

Qualifications (like years of experience, for example) are often anti-correlated with value. Someone who has been doing what they've been doing for 20 years is often doing that because they can't go up to the next level. Not always, of course, some people just really like what they do. But often people get stuck not being able to move up because they aren't good enough, but they're not bad enough to get fired. So you have someone with 20 years of experience with no motivation doing less than someone with 5 years. Qualifications are meaningless.

So you've listed three things that you say should net equal pay that in reality should be completely divorced from pay. The only thing that should really correlate with pay is how much value you create. This is why my wife makes more than twice what I do while working similar hours. She's working on a project right now that can net tens of millions of dollars per year, she's working with about 4 people on this project in total, and she's doing most of the work. I'm working on something worth quite a bit less, that's all it comes down to.

Every worker has their own rung. There is more to a job than money, and working for less is an advantage if you are not just looking for money. I'd hate to lose my job even if I ultimately ended up doing something else with higher pay. I like what I do and where I work specifically gives me access to technology I can't find elsewhere.

Money is important and I certainly made sure I was getting enough money to meet my goals, but the first thing on my mind when looking for a job was getting into something I wanted to do and to cover my day to day living. I did not want to risk not getting hired by asking for a lot of money, so I didn't. I probably could have negotiated a higher salary, but I am extremely low risk, so I didn't want to try. I got what I wanted and I'm pretty fairly happy with it.

My wife is an attorney. She makes more than twice what I make (and I do ok). She gets paid less than she should compared to her male counterparts, but it's because she chooses to. To be fair, men do it too when they can.

I agreed with you on when someone chooses to make less, as I wrote here.

I agree that women more than men stunt their own income by becoming content with their position and income, and it is a choice to either stay where you are or go for a higher salary.

Education, qualifications, and hours worked are meaningless - they should never have anything to do with pay. I have a good friend who thinks he should command a high salary just because he got his master's in engineering from MIT. I danced circles around him at work. PhDs are often times even worse. I think often times, especially in engineering, a PhD is an indication that you're not serious about actually making anything. To me, those guys get picked last. All of the people that I worked with who really busted their rears and made a difference didn't have one.

In most fields you can work your way up the ranks without having higher education, the harder you work the more productive you are the more valuable you are. The best mechanic in a shop may be someone who started sweeping the floor when they were 15 years old and was taught by hands on experience, that does not work in health care.....an orderly at the hospital is not putting down the broom and picking up a scalpel without an education.

I use nursing as an example because you can't work your way up the ladder without education and experience. I work with a few LPN's that out work and are as knowledgeable as some of our best RN's but, they have all the experience to know what to do they just can't because they do not have the proper education "on paper" to make it legal and ethical to do so.

Hours worked are often the highest with the people getting the least traction. Some of the busiest, most unavailable people I've ever worked with, who were constantly at work until midnight, were people who weren't effective at their jobs and were compensating by working longer. It took them twice as long to do the job, so they spent twice as long doing it.

I use nursing and health care as a good example because anyone who can't keep up gets let go very quickly, and usually ends up working at a doctors office. Those are the lowest paying and require the least education, the highly motivated nurses either find there niche and stay with it or move up through further education.
That is also why I wrote that the highest paying jobs still have a large gender pay gap.

Qualifications (like years of experience, for example) are often anti-correlated with value. Someone who has been doing what they've been doing for 20 years is often doing that because they can't go up to the next level. Not always, of course, some people just really like what they do. But often people get stuck not being able to move up because they aren't good enough, but they're not bad enough to get fired. So you have someone with 20 years of experience with no motivation doing less than someone with 5 years. Qualifications are meaningless.

So you've listed three things that you say should net equal pay that in reality should be completely divorced from pay. The only thing that should really correlate with pay is how much value you create. This is why my wife makes more than twice what I do while working similar hours. She's working on a project right now that can net tens of millions of dollars per year, she's working with about 4 people on this project in total, and she's doing most of the work. I'm working on something worth quite a bit less, that's all it comes down to.

I give you that I did not add how valuable an employee becomes by the work they do, a great majority of the people I work with are highly motivated and it is the norm for me. I listed the requirements needed to obtain the job and adding that the hours would be equal for the most part once you had the job. There are lazy workers in every industry, I understand that. Not disagreeing with you when it comes to the less motivated in society, It is just not nearly as prevalent in my field as it is in others. Qualifications are meaningful to lawyers when something goes wrong with a patient in health care, they don't seem to care if someone is a great employee of not, lol.

It seems to me that you are making your case based on motivation to chase the last dollar and job performance once both a man and woman have the same job, am I correct?

And if that is your point and 'if you believe the pay statistics in the upper levels of nursing' then you have given two choices as to the rather large gap in pay, either women once achieving the goal of reaching the top of their chosen field do not work as hard as their male counterparts or they lose their motivation to fight for money. Do you really believe that?

In most fields you can work your way up the ranks without having higher education, the harder you work the more productive you are the more valuable you are. The best mechanic in a shop may be someone who started sweeping the floor when they were 15 years old and was taught by hands on experience, that does not work in health care.....an orderly at the hospital is not putting down the broom and picking up a scalpel without an education.

In my personal example a masters was required for entry. Still more degrees or degrees from better schools didn't seem to matter.

It seems to me that you are making your case based on motivation to chase the last dollar and job performance once both a man and woman have the same job, am I correct?

Yes, you have to normalize across the same job or the comparison becomes impossible.

And if that is your point and 'if you believe the pay statistics in the upper levels of nursing' then you have given two choices as to the rather large gap in pay, either women once achieving the goal of reaching the top of their chosen field do not work as hard as their male counterparts or they lose their motivation to fight for money. Do you really believe that?

Almost....

They never had the motivation to fight for money. I did, once, when I needed to attract a mate and when I thought I may have to support a family. Once I got married and knew she'd be working, we both lost our motivation to chase the last dollar.

Let's say I make $50k and she makes $100k (we don't, but let's say it). A $1k raise to her is 1/150 of our combined salary. Now, let's say I chose not to work and she makes $100k. Now a $1k raise is 1/100 of our combined salary. The more equal the pay, the worse it is. If we both make $100k, it's 1/200 vs. 1/100. What's more, if you factor in a basic standard of living that sucks up, let's say... $50k of your income. Now you're looking at that $1k raise being 1/150 of the discretionary income in the combined case and 1/50 of the discretionary income in the single earner case.

So if we both make $100k, the same raise is worth 1/3 as much in terms of discretionary income. That is lost motivation to fight for the last dollar. My wife feels it and I feel it. I could get more complicated with tax implications which further exaggerate the effect I'm describing but I think the point has been made.

Dual income reduces your motivation to chase raises. Women who intend to work have a higher expectation of dual income. Yes I really believe that.

Edit:

There is another level to this which is that male self-worth is more tied up in income than female. I still feel the urge to chase the last dollar more than she does even though my return on effort will be far less than hers would be.

In my personal example a masters was required for entry. Still more degrees or degrees from better schools didn't seem to matter.

Yes, you have to normalize across the same job or the comparison becomes impossible.

Almost....

They never had the motivation to fight for money. I did, once, when I needed to attract a mate and when I thought I may have to support a family. Once I got married and knew she'd be working, we both lost our motivation to chase the last dollar.

Let's say I make $50k and she makes $100k (we don't, but let's say it). A $1k raise to her is 1/150 of our combined salary. Now, let's say I chose not to work and she makes $100k. Now a $1k raise is 1/100 of our combined salary. The more equal the pay, the worse it is. If we both make $100k, it's 1/200 vs. 1/100. What's more, if you factor in a basic standard of living that sucks up, let's say... $50k of your income. Now you're looking at that $1k raise being 1/150 of the discretionary income in the combined case and 1/50 of the discretionary income in the single earner case.

So if we both make $100k, the same raise is worth 1/3 as much in terms of discretionary income. That is lost motivation to fight for the last dollar. My wife feels it and I feel it. I could get more complicated with tax implications which further exaggerate the effect I'm describing but I think the point has been made.

Dual income reduces your motivation to chase raises. Women who intend to work have a higher expectation of dual income. Yes I really believe that.

Edit:

There is another level to this which is that male self-worth is more tied up in income than female. I still feel the urge to chase the last dollar more than she does even though my return on effort will be far less than hers would be.

My masters is a very expensive lesson in finding what you love to do and staying with it. My bachelor's would have been sufficient for where I am now. Being a single mother I chased the money all the way to Nurse Practitioner, but I could not get the ER pace out of my system. I knew I was going back the day I started counting the seconds it was taking a patient to walk into my exam room....If I was going to stay in health care it was going to be helping those who could not help themselves not those that would not help themselves.

I have worked with other women who chase the money so I wouldn't say 100% across the board we lack the motivation, I agree that I don't see our self-worth tied to income......that's tied to a huge box of other issues, lol.

My sister-in-law is a wonderful example of higher expectations from dual income, so no disagreement with your theory :)
I don't even want to talk about taxes, I once thought I could live a very comfortable life on what I pay in taxes now, lol.

Where Milo goes, angry feminists follow:lol:

All that title needed was "laid some sick burns" and it would have had it all.

The comedian... is that what "douchebag" means? I get it now. The whole fire-with-fire eye-for-an-eye thing's okay I guess but it was sad for him that quite a section of the audience stopped clapping at about a minute in. Personally I wouldn't like to stand up and try to defend Milo against anything so kudos to him for that. Milo has a right to his opinions however hateful they may be but perhaps his material will be more engaging once he stops believing that being gay is somehow a defence against being challenged on his insane opinions.

Oh jeez...that woman played right into the hands of the minds behind the Twitter trolling campaign "#TheTriggering".

Probably best to check the facts earlier then :D

Well, considering I was never really interested in participating in any form of discussion about #TheTriggering nor Feminism in general, I didn't really bother with research. Like I said, I found the video fitted the "Feminism" thread and that was about it. :D

All that title needed was "laid some sick burns" and it would have had it all.

The comedian... is that what "douchebag" means? I get it now. The whole fire-with-fire eye-for-an-eye thing's okay I guess but it was sad for him that quite a section of the audience stopped clapping at about a minute in. Personally I wouldn't like to stand up and try to defend Milo against anything so kudos to him for that. Milo has a right to his opinions however hateful they may be but perhaps his material will be more engaging once he stops believing that being gay is somehow a defence against being challenged on his insane opinions.
Of course, he can't just be a conservative who happens to be gay, he has to be an insane gay man using his gayness as a shield.

912C94.gif

Of course, he can't just be a conservative who happens to be gay, he has to be an insane gay man using his gayness as a shield.
He's the gay Ann Coulter. He saw how lucrative "be a woman and say sexist things" was so he decided to be the LGBT version.

I don't think he's insane, he's got a legion of fans he's playing like a fiddle, and he's clever/quick enough to make any opposition to his crazy and abhorrent ideas look like people whining over sour grapes.

I've never heard of the guy so I had to google, it's hard to understand why anyone would care one way or another about him. Seems to be a typical sensationalist and why not, they do quite well in the media frenzy we live in. None of them change the minds of anyone as their audiences are of like mind anyway.

Here he is for others who may not know. Meh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos

He's the gay Ann Coulter. He saw how lucrative "be a woman and say sexist things" was so he decided to be the LGBT version.

I don't think he's insane, he's got a legion of fans he's playing like a fiddle, and he's clever/quick enough to make any opposition to his crazy and abhorrent ideas look like people whining over sour grapes.
Of course, he can't just be a conservative and be gay, he must be in it for the money!!

What makes him a rape apologist? What makes him racist?

His comments on "the myth of rape culture" led many observers to use the "rape apologist" label while his claim that diversity boards should be headed by white males are, clearly and literally, racial discrimination. That is also, literally, racism... I didn't use the word "racist" as I didn't think it fitted according to the word's most accepted meaning.

diversity boards should be headed by white males

I have no idea what this is in reference to but wouldn't it make sense for one of the majority to head this sort of thing? As leaving it to a minority would insure it's ignored.

His comments on "the myth of rape culture" led many observers to use the "rape apologist" label while his claim that diversity boards should be headed by white males are, clearly and literally, racial discrimination. That is also, literally, racism... I didn't use the word "racist" as I didn't think it fitted according to the word's most accepted meaning.

What is rape culture? Do you have a link of Milo talking about rape culture? I would like to no what points you don't agree with.

Don't really know much about diversity boards and what he said .

Holy cow poo that feed is awesome. :lol:

I wish more people on the left would wake up and realize the conservatives in America aren't the enemy... People on the other side of the world executing gay people for nothing more than being gay- they are the enemy.

Back