FoolKiller Becomes Bionic - NEW UPDATE Nov 19, 2012

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 274 comments
Scary times can't even begin to cover it, FK. Try to keep positive, happy thoughts. Living with pain as I have, that, at times, seems impossible but it's the only thing that keeps you going. Trying to get your mind off it helps too, so I hope you're reading and watching TV a lot keeping you mind off things for a while. You need a break from it all.

Good luck, dude. 👍

Sorry to hear.

You've got options, at least. Neither of them easy ones, but you've still got options.

But the waiting must be terrible.

Sorry to hear.

You've got options, at least. Neither of them easy ones, but you've still got options.

But the waiting must be terrible.
My choices aren't much if I listen to my doctors. In fact, they will be effectively none. If they come back saying they are equally risky I will just freak out.

So if you can get a heart, that means your cardiac issues are basically solved, no? What's it look like as far as availability and etc. with the transplant?

As someone who can almost relate to your situation.. I honestly know that I cant say anything that will help.

I just give you my best wishes.

I truly hope you manage to deal with this and stay strong and positive, you have fought very hard for 30 years and I know you will fight for 30 more!! Keep your chin up and do your best. The doctors will have lots of cases and situations to draw information on and at the end of the day all you can do is aim for the best.

Keep us updated!

My choices aren't much if I listen to my doctors. In fact, they will be effectively none. If they come back saying they are equally risky I will just freak out.

Is it possible for them to do the operation THEN a transplant? While you're sitting on the transplant list waiting for that one-in-a-million chance of a good match, you still have issues with that conduit.

A transplant is scary... and then there's anti-rejection medicine and not being able to leave the house without a mask and the fear of catching a simple cold. But I know people who've had successful transplants... my mother-in-law is going on 13 years since her kidney transplant... but that's just a kidney... though since you're still relatively young, your chances are good. Probably better than hers.

It was scary, that time. My wife (then my girlfriend) and I were taking her to dialysis almost every day, our college grades were suffering, and the bills were incredible. And there was often the thought that she would die before we got a transplant (that is, until her sister volunteered).

All we could do... all she could do... was take it one day at a time. You've been dealt a bad hand, and every day you wake up is a win. Treat it as such and spend as much time with your family as you can.

Wish you the best of luck in finding a new heart.

So to hear of unfavorable news.

Arn't heart transplants fairly common transplants? What I mean is I do hear of them quite a lot and people that with the medication required live on quite long lives. I know it's a massive thing but it's not like all doom and gloom? Best of luck with everything :)

Crumbs FK, i'm sure that's not the results you were expecting.

To echo what Omnis asked, would a heart transplant solve the previous issues?

I'm sure heart transplants come with their own set of post-op problems, but perhaps in the long run it's preferable to the constant patching of your on going heart issue.

I can't imagine what you and your wife must be feeling right now... I hope that your family and friends will take the edge off what is a very difficult situation, and I hope for the best for you.

What you're feeling must be beyond words... I know we can't really help, but all the best for the future.

Remember that when you are in hospital, the surgeons there are earning every dollar to the max-they will do anything and everything to keep you alive, and keep you in good health.

If you're looking for advice, the best person I would refer you to is your local chaplain etc. Even if you're not religious, they are the most helpful human beings on earth in tough situations like these.

Crumbs FK, i'm sure that's not the results you were expecting.

To echo what Omnis asked, would a heart transplant solve the previous issues?

I'm sure heart transplants come with their own set of post-op problems, but perhaps in the long run it's preferable to the constant patching of your on going heart issue.

I'm not specifically familiar with FK's case, but his descriptions indicate at least a Patent Ductus Arteriosus (infant hole-in-the-heart) with some kickers (malformed aorta?). He mentioned it being part of a relatively unknown syndrome too and I'm sure has remarked on other congenital issues, possibly associated with that.

Replacing his heart would solve the structural defect(s) his heart has and he is, frankly, much more likely to wake up after that than if his own, weakened heart were stopped and operated upon. It's no bed of roses - a full heart transplant (probably lung too - they're easier to take as one lump than they are to separate) carries almost exactly the same risk level, but it is a much longer-term solution. There's a potential for a lot of drugs for quite some time after the operation, but I suspect he already takes quite a few and it'll be a case of supplanting some of those or changing the dosage.

I recall looking after my dad after his quadruple bypass. Best of British to you, FK.

Harsh news FK, very harsh :(

I hope this thread re-inforces with those who maybe haven't got around to it, or have forgotten, that joining the organ donor register is a very good thing (here is a link to the US register, most countries have one). It doesn't cost anything and it gives you the very warming thought that should something happen to you, then you can help give several people the gift of life :)

Harsh news FK, very harsh :(

I hope this thread re-inforces with those who maybe haven't got around to it, or have forgotten, that joining the organ donor register is a very good thing (here is a link to the US register, most countries have one). It doesn't cost anything and it gives you the very warming thought that should something happen to you, then you can help give several people the gift of life :)

Indeed, not sure about elsewhere but in Australia they give you the option to sign up when you get your drivers license (no confidence in probationary drivers? :P) or renew it. My whole family is signed on.

Also need to make sure your family is aware of your wishes. I have heard many sad stories of relatives blocking the donor of organs even if the donor signed on the register.

The nuclear option so-to-speak...

On the one hand, it's a terrible thing to have to face because the risks are high. On the other hand, it might be nice to have a healthier heart. It's tough to think of anything to say that will make this any easier, because it's a very difficult situation to be in - but, as usual, I think I might have thought of something.

Last Friday (probably around the time you were hearing about this) I was in the hospital visiting a buddy of mine who had been hit by a car while riding his bicycle. The car hit him from behind without seeing him, and he was pretty messed up. He had a few broken teeth, one missing, plenty of road rash, lots of stitches, a neck brace, the whole 9 yards. He looked like he'd been run over by a car (which is basically what happened). This guy is a serious cyclist. He was in the process of riding 25 miles over hills in to the office on a $10,000 bike. He's in fantastic shape - way better shape than me. When he got hit he was meeting a friend who was also a very serious rider who was going to do that same route.

His friend died last weekend. He hit his head in that car accident badly enough that the brain damage left him in a vegetative state. He was an organ donor, and they left him on life support (primarily for his extremely healthy heart) until they could find a match for his organs.

Here's the takehome message. You outlived this guy. You with all of your health problems and your medicine and surgeries and genetic raw deal out-lived the uber-healthy, marathon cyclist. This guy woke up last Friday, like any other day, everything going perfectly normally, no major health problems, put on his helmet, got on his bike, and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

You're also guaranteed to outlive the guy who's heart you're going to get if they do the transplant. While you're worried about whether his heart will be accepted by your body and keep you alive, that guy didn't make it. His family, much like the bicyclist last weekend, will take some comfort in the fact that their child/husband/father/brother (I assume gender matters in a transplant), will be helping to keep you alive with their organs. A lot of people got bad news last weekend, some of them wished they could have been getting yours. That's not to say that you didn't get a raw deal. You did for sure. But you never know when your time is up and for at least one guy who looked like he'd live forever, it was last weekend.

(I assume gender matters in a transplant)

Apart from size issues, no.

Girls' hearts are typically smaller, but if it'll go in the hole it's usually not a problem.

Until you start liking Twilight and crying at the end of Batman Returns.

I might have mentioned this in another post but my mom has been struggling with her heart for about 18 years due to doctor malpractice. Her heart is very bad and now she even has a defibrillator installed by the heart (similar to yours). I expect she will need a new heart in the near future but I am not even sure if thats an option for her.

Must be terrifying news for you and your family. However it sounds like a new healthy heart might be the best option. With todays technology it would be like a new start on life instead of struggling with the current heart. I wish you the best of luck with the decision.

So if you can get a heart, that means your cardiac issues are basically solved, no? What's it look like as far as availability and etc. with the transplant?
My physical defects will no longer be an issue, correct. Of course, there will then be all the anti-rejection stuff to worry about, and where as now a fever means calling my doctor for some antibiotics, it will mean a trip to the ER. Due to the drugs I have to take my immune system will be as effectively compromised as an HIV/AIDS patient.

What threw me off was when I asked about quality of life if we do a transplant and my doctor began saying things like, "survivability rates are 80% for 10 years and 75% for 15 years." My mind heard 20% chance of dying in 10 years, 25% in 15. Now, all things considered, being told I have favorable odds for 15+ years would be fine, but I can't stop thinking about my daughter. I want a guarantee of at least seeing her graduate high school, and won't honestly be happy with anything short of seeing her married.

I have since calmed down a bit and realized those statistics are based on averages, which are predominantly based on people in their 50s and 60s. Hell, 10-15 years for them is average lifespan anyway. I am finding stories of 30-something heart transplant patients who have been going well over 20 years now with a normal quality of life. That has done a lot to alleviate some of my stress.

Is it possible for them to do the operation THEN a transplant? While you're sitting on the transplant list waiting for that one-in-a-million chance of a good match, you still have issues with that conduit.
But see, that is the kicker. The doctor suggesting a transplant doesn't believe I will survive the surgery to replace the conduit. If the surgery was an option in his mind then transplant wouldn't have been mentioned. The doctor that thinks I can survive the surgery still can't give me better that 75% odds, and that was with a "pulling this out of my butt" face. So, best case scenario is my choice is 25% chance of dying now or 25% chance of dying in the next 15 years.
But as you point out, I will be looking at a reduced quality of life while I wait.

It was scary, that time. My wife (then my girlfriend) and I were taking her to dialysis almost every day, our college grades were suffering, and the bills were incredible. And there was often the thought that she would die before we got a transplant (that is, until her sister volunteered).
The one blessing I have come out of this with is the discovery of my family's apparent secret wealth and generosity. I have had an exceptional number of offers to help pay bills and make sure that we only have to worry about my health if it comes down to it.

I'm not specifically familiar with FK's case, but his descriptions indicate at least a Patent Ductus Arteriosus (infant hole-in-the-heart) with some kickers (malformed aorta?). He mentioned it being part of a relatively unknown syndrome too and I'm sure has remarked on other congenital issues, possibly associated with that.
Transposition of the great arteries with septal defect, tetralogy of fallot, and multiple leaking valves. My floor nurse in the hospital this weekend admitted she had to Google transposition of the great arteries because she had never dealt with it before, after multiple years working on the cardiovascular floor.

There's a potential for a lot of drugs for quite some time after the operation, but I suspect he already takes quite a few and it'll be a case of supplanting some of those or changing the dosage.
To emphasize the number of drugs I am taking, here is my schedule sent home with me from teh hospital. Some are for allergies/asthma, but there it is.

medicines.jpg

Jay
Indeed, not sure about elsewhere but in Australia they give you the option to sign up when you get your drivers license (no confidence in probationary drivers? :P) or renew it. My whole family is signed on.

Also need to make sure your family is aware of your wishes. I have heard many sad stories of relatives blocking the donor of organs even if the donor signed on the register.
In my state you can just sign the back of your driver's license, but there are all sorts of fake horror stories about EMTs not working as hard if you have done so and whatnot.

But your family does actually make the decision, so you do have to emphasize to them that is what you want. Since it often means removing you from life support after maintaining you on it just long enough to harvest your organs that is a hard decision for some.

Here's the takehome message. You outlived this guy. You with all of your health problems and your medicine and surgeries and genetic raw deal out-lived the uber-healthy, marathon cyclist. This guy woke up last Friday, like any other day, everything going perfectly normally, no major health problems, put on his helmet, got on his bike, and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

You're also guaranteed to outlive the guy who's heart you're going to get if they do the transplant. While you're worried about whether his heart will be accepted by your body and keep you alive, that guy didn't make it. His family, much like the bicyclist last weekend, will take some comfort in the fact that their child/husband/father/brother (I assume gender matters in a transplant), will be helping to keep you alive with their organs. A lot of people got bad news last weekend, some of them wished they could have been getting yours. That's not to say that you didn't get a raw deal. You did for sure. But you never know when your time is up and for at least one guy who looked like he'd live forever, it was last weekend.
Honestly, I have given this a lot of thought. It is honestly hard for me to feel good about the idea that my life will come at the cost of another. I do know that there will likely be a letter written to some family whom I have never met assuring them that I will not waste the life their loved one had given me.

It is honestly hard for me to feel good about the idea that my life will come at the cost of another.

Well, I wouldn't put it that way. It's not like he was sacrificed in order to provide you with a heart (he wasn't right?). He was going to die anyway. Your letter might comfort someone who has lost a loved one - but I'm not sure you should interpret it as "they died so I could live". If you want to feel that way about someone, you might look at the folks behind you on the transplant list. That's where the real tough decisions get made. I hope that decision gets made in your favor (and I think it will given your situation). There aren't enough libertarians around as it is. ;)

Yeah, your life wouldn't come at the cost of anyone. It's more like a miracle that any life could be salvaged from death. It's like the body of Christ, except an actual heart instead of a wafer.

I like the way Danoff puts it. Whatever crap you've gone through... you're still here.

And yes... for younger guys, the chances of survival are much better. Many other transplant patients are on the list because they've basically fargled up their heart. As long as you're not overweight, a smoker, a drinker or a drug addict, you've got an excellent chance of beating the grade and making it to your daugher's graduation.

I will just pray that Franziskaner helps the recovery process.

Well, I wouldn't put it that way. It's not like he was sacrificed in order to provide you with a heart (he wasn't right?).
Well, I'm not looking at it like that, but it does feel like I will basically be waiting for someone else to have a tragedy. I wonder what it will feel like to celebrate life while knowing someone else is having a funeral that had to occur for that to happen.

He was going to die anyway. Your letter might comfort someone who has lost a loved one - but I'm not sure you should interpret it as "they died so I could live".
No, it won't be like that. It will be a grateful message sent to the family, as they will be the ones that made that decision, and likely including a picture of myself with my daughter so that they can see that their decision has a far greater effect than just some dude going through life. They won't have a choice in the life of their loved one, but they will have a choice in my life, and for that I will be forever grateful.

If you want to feel that way about someone, you might look at the folks behind you on the transplant list. That's where the real tough decisions get made. I hope that decision gets made in your favor (and I think it will given your situation). There aren't enough libertarians around as it is. ;)
I am actually ignoring looking at the transplant list. That is 100% out of my control (which drives me insane) and I unfortunately knew before now that far more people die waiting than during or after the transplant. My blood type (O-) already has me going in with a harder to match type, and I don't know what my tissue type and all the other factors are.

But I am still waiting to hear back from my doctors on the recommended decision of the heart board and the second opinion. This will be a long week, and they took away my one moment of solace, my 40 mile drive to and from work every day, because they don't want me driving this soon after the heart cath.

I will just pray that Franziskaner helps the recovery process.
Yeah...about that. :( An enlarged liver means no alcohol. And if I want to be seen as a good candidate that won't waste his new heart that might likely be a permanent thing. Now when I hang out with my friends I buy IBC root beer or cream soda in glass bottles. The logo is molded, not printed, so it doesn't look like anything other than a dark beer in a bottle. Everyone knows I'm not drinking but it keeps it from being obvious, and I don't feel like an odd man out.

Aww man. Well, I'd say the trade off is worth it. Can't tell you how much I'm hoping for you since you're one of my favorite guys here on the 'planet.

Oh, I heard from the doctor today! Finally, answers! What's that? The heart board will wait for the doctor in Cleveland's diagnosis? Ego doesn't play a role on the heart board and they are more than willing to defer to one of the best in the field before making any decisions? So, at least a week before I hear anything? Oh, but you all do want to see me for a follow up on September 16th? I'll be there.

:grumpy:

Seriously, professional courtesy, the likes of which I have never seen, are holding off my getting anything new for at least a week because the heart board only meets on Mondays. The one time I witness egos getting checked at the door and it is when I would actually like everyone to just tell me their opinions.

Yea, the stakes are high - they want to get it right (cover their asses). It's not particularly surprising but I'm sure it's frustrating.

OK, so I heard back from the doctors yesterday. Everyone is in agreement, I need a heart transplant.

And now I have to figure out where I want to get this stuff done.

I am looking at:
Jewish Hospital in Louisville, KY. Close to home, the city I work in, closest to where most of my friends and family are, and across the street from where my current doctors are. I can be there in less than an hour from home, about a half hour from work. Statistically speaking: They do around 25 heart transplants a year. Of the ones I am looking at they have the highest rate of mortality while waiting. They have an 88% survivability rate after the transplant.

University of Kentucky in Lexington, KY This is closest to home, about 70 miles from my work and regular doctors. I can be there in less than an hour from home. Statistically speaking: They do around 10 heart transplants a year. They have a slightly lower rate(but not statistically significant) of mortality while waiting than the national average. They have a ~94% survivability rate after the transplant, likely due to the low number of cases.

Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH My mother favors this to an annoying degree. My original surgeon works here, but in order to be readily available I may need to be able to up and move my life, particularly in the event that my health declines (and it eventually will) and I need to be hospitalized while I wait. In the event of a long hospitalized wait both my wife and I will be without jobs or I will be alone without my family. Statistically speaking: They do 60-75 heart transplants a year. They have an average rate of mortality while waiting. They have a ~91% survivability rate after the transplant. One unusual variable that annoys me is that when looking at the waiting list statistics at each clinic UK and Jewish both had percentages of recipients with blood types that tended to coincide with rarity of blood type (ex high numbers of O type blood (rare) patients, low numbers of AB type blood (common) patients). Cleveland is evenly 25% for each blood type across the board. That increases their number of common blood type patients waiting and decreases their number of rare blood type patients waiting. I wonder if they are being selective in a way that effects (buffers) their mortality rates.

Side note: My blood type is O-Negative. If they are being selective of that I might not be allowed in.

The fact is that I know very little about this process. Does the center matter that much? I mean we are talking less than 3% deviations with numbers that are not statistically significant. Nor do I have age information on recipients other than 18+.

Any advice from medical people with knowledge in this area would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience picking facilities for heart transplants, but I can tell you that the percentage game is a big one in infertility. We have a center near us that has a 90% success rate, one that has an 80% success rate, and one that has a 60% success rate - with prices to match. We chose the 60% center in part because it was close to us and in part because we absolutely hated the doctor at the 90% center and were recommended against the 80% center. When asked about the numbers, the doctor at the center we chose had a good answer.

The technology is at 60%. That's just where the state of the art is. Nobody is getting a better percentage than that. Anyone who claims they get a better rating is cherry picking clients to avoid failures. I think if we had decided to go with the center that boasted the highest success rate, they'd have fired us as clients (and I believe that based on meeting them as well). In the end we decided that we liked the doctors who were up-front with us about the information. They didn't sugar coat, and they didn't over sell. This happened (probably not coincidentally) to be the facility that was the most up-front with their statistics.

Now, all that being said, we have two failed attempts with that facility - who knows, maybe it was the deciding factor. I have a feeling though that we'd be using that place regardless because the others would have refused to take our case.

I don't really know if any of this applies to you at all. I'll just put it out as food for thought.

O-Type blood is the commonest type...

O - 41% worldwide (44% US)
A - 32% worldwide (42% US)
B - 22% worldwide (10% US)
AB - 5% worldwide (4% US)

The problem's not one of rarity, but of immunity. Someone with blood group A has A-antigens on their tissues and B-antibodies in their blood. Someone with blood group B has B-antigens on their tissues and A-antibodies in their blood. Give a B-tissue to someone with blood group A and the B-antibodies in their blood attack the B-antigens on the new tissue - and vice versa.

AB individuals have both A and B antigens on their tissues, but no antibodies in their blood - so they can receive any transplants any individual. Their blood just won't attack it. ABs are "universal recipients". The buggers are the Os. Os have no antigens on their tissues, but both A and B antibodies in their blood - they can only receive transplants from other O-type individuals, but they can give to anyone. Os are "universal donors".

So as it stands, you can only receive a tissue from another O-type individual - but just about half of us are O-types (me too). It makes you awkward, but luckier.

Rhesus factor - the positive/negative part - doesn't play a role in transplant assessment. Typically, post-operative complications are more common in "rhesus nonidentity" transplants (where someone -ve gets a +ve tissue, or the other way round), but it's not a certainty and, though some surgeons/hospitals may prefer to keep the right rhesus identity, it's not a barrier to receiving an urgently-needed organ.

Potted summary - your blood type of O- is reasonably rare (7%), but your blood group of O is very common (44%) and you can receive an organ from anyone in that group.

Latest Posts

Back