FoolKiller Becomes Bionic - NEW UPDATE Nov 19, 2012

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 274 comments
I don't really know if any of this applies to you at all. I'll just put it out as food for thought.
See, I have heard from some that transplant surgeons all get the same training and any one is as good as another. So, really it might not matter that much. I don't know.

But clearly I have a lot more to consider than just which hospital is best rated.

Do you know the odds of finding a donor heart?
Just from what I have seen it looks like there is an average in the area of 15% waiting for a donor that die. But that is very generic and not looking at all factors, many of which I do not know yet.

O-Type blood is the commonest type...

O - 41% worldwide (44% US)
A - 32% worldwide (42% US)
B - 22% worldwide (10% US)
AB - 5% worldwide (4% US)

The problem's not one of rarity, but of immunity. Someone with blood group A has A-antigens on their tissues and B-antibodies in their blood. Someone with blood group B has B-antigens on their tissues and A-antibodies in their blood. Give a B-tissue to someone with blood group A and the B-antibodies in their blood attack the B-antigens on the new tissue - and vice versa.

AB individuals have both A and B antigens on their tissues, but no antibodies in their blood - so they can receive any transplants any individual. Their blood just won't attack it. ABs are "universal recipients". The buggers are the Os. Os have no antigens on their tissues, but both A and B antibodies in their blood - they can only receive transplants from other O-type individuals, but they can give to anyone. Os are "universal donors".

So as it stands, you can only receive a tissue from another O-type individual - but just about half of us are O-types (me too). It makes you awkward, but luckier.

Rhesus factor - the positive/negative part - doesn't play a role in transplant assessment. Typically, post-operative complications are more common in "rhesus nonidentity" transplants (where someone -ve gets a +ve tissue, or the other way round), but it's not a certainty and, though some surgeons/hospitals may prefer to keep the right rhesus identity, it's not a barrier to receiving an urgently-needed organ.

Potted summary - your blood type of O- is reasonably rare (7%), but your blood group of O is very common (44%) and you can receive an organ from anyone in that group.
Thanks for the clarification. I think that I have been so used to being O- and thinking that I have rare blood that I didn't pay any attention to the stats on all O types. I guess Cleveland might be more willing to take difficult patients then? Interesting.

but just about half of us are O-types (me too).
You'll be in The States soon, won't you? :mischievous:

Famine has never been officially tested - he assumes he is blood group O because of his parents. I however know that I am O- and I know this because I am tormented by the blood service here the very second I become eligible to donate because as Famine pointed out, O- can indeed be given to anyone at all.

As a total aside and just because this fascinates me, O+ can recieve O blood of either rhesus factor. If I decide to have a second child, I am at a higher risk of miscarrying or having an unwell baby because antibodies I may have produced the first time around which would've attacked an O+ foetus will rear their heads and try to attack the new foetus (if my daughter is indeed O+ and caused me to create the anti-bodies, or if the next pregnancy is O+ ). I was given an immunoglobulin during my pregnancy, however I'm unsure how effective this is the second time around and it's only us "negatives" who have this problem!

Basically, being negative is not all it's cracked up to be ;)

Last edited:
I have a card from when I was excessively wee - it's nearly 33 years old - and I'm sure it said O+ on it. Though since I knew my biological parents (I assume) O is the only choice :D

There's only one way to find out... fiiiigh.... no wait.

Blood test it is :D :D

(Sorry FK, unnecessary hijack)

I'd agree with Danoff that the statistics are mostly meaningless. Given that many other heart patients are older and worse off than you (meaning there are other complications brought on by lifestyle and disease that caused the condition), I'd say your chances would be even anywhere you go.

You're a relatively healthy person... except for your heart. When you get a new one, you'll be in a good position to improve your chances.

Sorry to hear the news, but atleast you have some clarity and can now start planning exactly what to do. As for your choices, the latter option seems the least attractive for numerous reasons, but not least because it sounds like the most stressful and I'm assuming that stress is not good when you're waiting on a new heart. I hope that whatever decisions you jointly make with your family and your doctors are the right ones, and that FK is on the mend soon 👍

Famine has never been officially tested - he assumes he is blood group O because of his parents.
While I have been repeatedly tested, both my parents are O- and if I weren't my mom would have questions to answer. The bonus is that anytime I need blood there are three people (parents + brother) with an ample supply ready to give it to me.

As for your choices, the latter option seems the least attractive for numerous reasons, but not least because it sounds like the most stressful and I'm assuming that stress is not good when you're waiting on a new heart.
I am trying to explain this to my mother. But all she can see is who supposedly has the best doctors. She has even resorted to emailing me anecdotal stories of people that know people that had transplants there.

OK, an update has been long coming. Anyone that noticed my avatar can probably guess that the doubts are all gone now.

I settled on a transplant center. I am staying close to home and using Jewish Hospital. This was after much contention with my mother. She became a bigger stress factor than the fact that I need a transplant.

I met with them for an exam last month so they could determine if they agree that I need a transplant. After reviewing my case the doctor said a transplant is the option I have. Interesting wording. I've noticed they have a whole list of words. They recover organs, not harvest. It is your option, or the option. Not the only option. Things like that.

Anyway, so it is definitive that I am getting a transplant. It has been reviewed by the best experts locally and the team in Cleveland. No doubt, I need one and other surgery is not an option.

Now begins the tiresome journey of the medical evaluation to make sure that my body "has no issues that would strain the new heart." No wasting hearts here. So, I have seen a dentist, and have appointments scheduled with a gastrinterologist, neurologist, and a nepherologist. I also have a day scheduled where my transplant team will do a full-day workup on me, starting with a psychological evaluation that my wife has to attend, metabolic stress test, and a whole list of things. I go in around 7:00 AM and go home, hopefully, in time for dinner. Some of it will probably hurt.

They have two main concerns right now. Stress on my lungs due to a restricted pulmonary artery and the fact that a Ventricular Assist Device will not work on me. My pulmonary conduit is narrowing and the valve behind it leaks. My liver is already swollen due to backed up pressure and an assist device will only cause more back pressure.

As for outlook, I am blood type O, which will mean I am waiting with about half those needing a heart. On the bonus side I am 5'8" and about 180-185lbs. That is a common body size and so if I am most in need of a blood and tissue matching heart then I won't be waiting for one that is the right size. However, due to my birth defect the space my heart fits inside of in my chest cavity is not exactly the same as everyone else's. So, they need to evaluate that. Overall, the doctor expected a 1-2 year wait for me. If I can maintain my current quality of life I could be waiting 5-6 years.

I don't know which I would prefer. Getting a heart sooner sounds preferable, but it comes with the caveat that I have to have a serious decline in health. And while being able to see my daughter off to her first day of school as I am now sounds good, once I recovery from the transplant I will apparently feel better than I have my entire life since my defect has always restricted me. One thing I am considering is joining a group that is full of registered organ donors who request their organs be delivered to someone else in the group if possible. It basically applies a "fair" principle to donation where you prefer if another organ donor receives your organs. You get what you give kind of thing. This fits my philosophic/ideological principles. The crux of it is that 75% of organ recipients in the US are not donors themselves.

But that is where it stands. I do not have a week without some form of doctor appointment before the end of the year. To top off the tribulations my wife apparently has gall stones and has a surgical consult this month. We know it is small and very routine, but we really could use less stress right now. And then my PS3 died, which seems off topic, but it was my number one source of escapism. Putting a DualShock controller in my hands puts the WhatIfs out of my head. I thought my 360 would do fine but I am finding why fanboys get going. You have a favorite system and many times the reasons aren't clear to yourself. The games are different, the feel of the controller is off, and in general something just seems different enough to put you out of your comfort zone.

Oh, and I am now officially considered disabled by the state Kentucky's DMV. I have the blue car tags to prove. I haven't used them yet because I feel bad taking a disabled spot while I can still be mobile.

By the end of this year I should be weighed, measured, typed, tagged, poked prodded, assessed and numbered. After that, I will begin to show the greatest exercise in patience I have ever had to before.

Warning: preachy ranting ahead.

I am deciding to get involved in organ donor awareness stuff. I wear a pin everyday, changed my avatar, talk about it when it is appropriate, and am about to march into the offices of some of these groups and slap them. Their marketing sucks. This weekend is National Donor Sabbath, where all religions that view organ donation as a great thing recognize donors and ask their parishioner to consider being a donor themselves. Of all the people I know none of them have anything happening at their church. Some have taken it upon themselves to organize something, but until I mentioned it no one had even heard of it. They had a Second Chance @ Life walk locally in September. No one heard about it. No one knows that green ribbons are the color for organ donor awareness or that April is Donate Life Month. For an awareness campaign there is no one aware they even exist. I had to run Google searches to find the local groups.

I don't see why the situation is what it is. Roughly 30% of those waiting for an organ die, yet only about 30% of the US have become organ donors in some way (card in your wallet, sicker on the license, official state registries, inform loved ones, enter it into a living will, etc). If everyone is a donor you couldn't eliminate all the deaths (the math just isn't there), but you sure as heck could put a chunk in it. And it asks the least of any charitable deed. No one is asking for money, no one wants you to go let them drain fluids from your body, No one wants you to volunteer some time for manual labor, and no one wants you to wear pepto pink. All it asks of you is that you let someone use something your family will just burn or stick in a hole in the ground. It is just biological garbage to you at that point. You are dead and in an afterlife, or ceased existing (take your pick). All you have to do is put a sticker on your license or tell your loved ones to donate your tissue and organs. Thirty seconds to save the lives of as many as 50 people.

I always promoted donation before, but now that I have a personal stake I investigated the statistics and am mad at what I see. If you can build a house for poor people, risk malaria or worse to feed Starvin' Marvin, wear ugly clothes on TV, or ladle out soup in a kitchen you sure as Hell can give up your unused organs when you die.

And I always tell friends and family that this issue really isn't about me in my mind. I've had a good life, even if it would be short. But what it is about is this:
dscn1291l.jpg

She is not the only little girl with a parent on the waiting list. I have found out that there are many of us.

And that is the end of my rant. I promise the mods and Jordan that I will keep all discussion of that topic in here and not turn into some Donate Life zealot (avatar aside).

Anyway, I am now heading out of town on vacation until Sunday evening. It is the first real break from work and doctors that I have had since July. Gatlinburg, TN, here I come (no Dragon side trip this time :( )

Best of luck as always, FK. I've been signed up as an organ donor for about the last 10 years or so. Like you said - what good are they going to do me when I die?

Unless someone I really don't like ends up with my eyeballs.

Have a good time on your vaca. 👍

I'd been wondering how it had been going for you, at least you know what the plan is now. I've got everything on offer apart from my eyes for the same reason as TB although they are wonky so I doubt anyone would want them!

You definitely need a new PS3 pick me up.

Good luck FK and have a great weekend away.

I've been an organ donor since I've turned 16 and got my license. When I die, just because my life is over doesn't mean I can't help save someone else's. I don't understand why more people aren't organ donors, especially when you think about how much you could improve the quality of life of someone else.

Good luck and Godspeed on your journey, remember you have medical science on your side!

Best of luck FK 👍 :cheers:, glad things appear to be relatively stable for the next few years.

Sounds like you've got a plan and something to focus on succeeding at. I think that's a much stronger place than you were the last time you gave us an update. So overall I think this is a step in the right direction for you and will eventually result in a much healthier life for you. I'm glad that your choices are clear.

As always, best of luck. I think of your situation quite a bit and would like to mention that there are videos of a rock climber in the amazing and cool video thread who you have outlived.

But what it is about is this:

She is not the only little girl with a parent on the waiting list. I have found out that there are many of us.

No it isn't. It's about the people on that list and everyone who's a part of their life. The life of a parent on that list is not worth more than the life of a non-parent. Your daughter may be a major driver in your recovery, but I'll lay odds that she's not the motivation for whoever donates you your new heart. You are.

I don't understand why more people aren't organ donors

I plan a full Egyptian funeral. No organs = no canopic jars and if I don't have my heart, it'll go badly for me when I meet Anubis.

I guess most people just aren't aware of it... though there are some with personal (superstitious) reasons... (Anubis probably won't care if you bring him a pig's heart... heck, if the pig is raised right, it'll probably pass the test and get you into heaven)

-

Good luck finding that heart. You should have pretty good chances, again, since you don't have a high-risk lifestyle.

The last couple of weeks there were actions in the Netherlands on becomming a donor. I am donor for as long 20 years. During the donor promotion week it was again emphasized that it takes many registered donors to pull of a succesfull transplant. It's all about timing.

FK, enjoy your long weekend and your loved ones.

To all, being a donor sounds to passive for you? Think about giving blood. That is also very needed.

Also on the donor list since I got my license, my whole family is.

Good luck with the future.

Even if you couldn't get a transplant, could you get Dick Cheney'd in the mean time?
Likely not, if that requires invasive surgery. The problem is an invasive surgery requires stopping the heart. No one thinks there is a good chance of my heart starting again. But if it isn't invasive, then it all depends. If my current condition gets worse, probably not, unless they have a system like that which will go into the pulmonary artery. Don't forget that I have a transposition, so the blood isn't traveling in the same path as it should. It contemplates things and the only way to fix that is the transplant. But it was never something that actually needed fixing, and you don't play with hearts that don't need it.

But I am not really familiar with Cheney's thing. They should add a twitching effect though so he would have a pulse again.

Sounds like you've got a plan and something to focus on succeeding at. I think that's a much stronger place than you were the last time you gave us an update. So overall I think this is a step in the right direction for you and will eventually result in a much healthier life for you. I'm glad that your choices are clear.
Well, they are clear because from here on it is follow a straight path or else. But it does feel good to know that now I just follow directions and all should go well. It does seem odd to know that I have a team of people who are all working purely to get me through this. I mean, they have other patients, but when it comes to my case they have one single-minded focus and aren't bothered with diagnosing or looking at anything else. There is no, "let's try this and check this and scan this." It is all, "do this, this, this, and this."

As always, best of luck. I think of your situation quite a bit and would like to mention that there are videos of a rock climber in the amazing and cool video thread who you have outlived.
I realize that overall I am lucky. But it is often difficult to see the big picture in a situation like this. I feel like if I remove my focus from getting through this I'll miss something important. It is why I have built my entire thought process around focusing on the one thing I think of as more important than myself.

Which leads to this:

No it isn't. It's about the people on that list and everyone who's a part of their life. The life of a parent on that list is not worth more than the life of a non-parent. Your daughter may be a major driver in your recovery, but I'll lay odds that she's not the motivation for whoever donates you your new heart. You are.
Yeah, that was poorly explained on my part. I realize that people who are donating likely only ever see the recipients as their reasoning, but for the recipients with family, especially young kids, it is always something more important than themselves. For someone to see me, a guy that appears to be very self-centered on the outside, suddenly start promoting organ donation I realize it can seem very self-serving. And it is, because the best thing I can do for myself (aside from following my health guidelines) is get as many people signed on to be a donor as possible. That is the best way to remove the biggest risk in my way.

I didn't start trying to be concerned about my health until I had a daughter. I just want people to understand that I am not promoting donation because I am suddenly confronted with my mortality. That has been over my head from the time I woke up paralyzed three days after my surgery. And with that I still did so many things wrong, like diet and exercise (or lack of). I do it because there is now something more important than me that I feel a responsibility for and I will do everything in my power to assure I am here for her.

To all, being a donor sounds to passive for you? Think about giving blood. That is also very needed.
The Donate Life group in the US actually focuses on blood, organ, and tissue. April is Donate Life Month, which includes blood as well. And usually blood is the primary subject brought up in any of the stuff you hear then.

On a side note: While on vacation I managed to lose another 3lbs. And I found a low sodium BBQ and buffalo wing sauces. I was in heaven eating buffalo chicken again.

Also, they scheduled my big, one-day workup for December 6th. That day begins at about 7AM and I might be home in time for dinner. I'll be doing a psych evaluation, metabolic stress test, some sort of pulmonary tests to check for pulmonary hypertension caused by the heart, as well as the blood and tissue typing and whatnot. By January it will all be fully analyzed and I will find out what my exact wait time is, and all that information. Honestly, that day sounds scary. But there is nothing that will necessitate a ride home. However, my wife is required to attend at least the psych eval.

FoolKiller, I recently saw a 68 year old, very unhealthy man with one child undergo a heart transplant. He was selected early, too, even though he has a whole load of other health issues. I don't know how they could get all of these hearts, but if he could get one, i'm pretty positive you could, too 👍

Even though we try and keep in touch outside the forum, but while I am here I just want to say how proud I am of how you are handing this terribly challenging situation... all the while continuing to be a supportive and loving husband and father. You are a role model my friend, and if anyone can get through this and be better off for it, I know it will be you!

All my best to you and yours.

:cheers:

Steve, if I really screw it up while at the wheel, just ask the Florida DMV for whatever you need; I've been an organ donor since I first had my license. Yeah, that's one of the weird side effects of having kids, you do everything for their future...I salute you for taking things so seriously so well.

(Could you forgive the fact it pumps orange and blue O+ ?)

Steve, if I really screw it up while at the wheel, just ask the Florida DMV for whatever you need; I've been an organ donor since I first had my license. Yeah, that's one of the weird side effects of having kids, you do everything for their future...I salute you for taking things so seriously so well.

(Could you forgive the fact it pumps orange and blue O+ ?)
It may actually be possible to have it set up to go to a specific person, assuming it is a match.

The orange part should be easily drown out by my solid blue. In fact my solid blue should completely overrun the orange, as you will see, twice, in February.

This is long, as usual. TL;DR at your own whimsy.

So, yesterday I had my full-day medical workup.

To begin with, I had to fast from midnight on.

The day started by getting up at 4:00 AM, getting the baby to my mother-in-law by 5:00 AM, and stopping by work on the way to the hospital. By 6:50 AM I was at the hospital.

At 7:00 AM my wife and I met with a social worker in the main hospital. We discussed basically my mental state and lifestyle. And as usual, once my daughter was brought up I began rambling on and on.

Next was blood work. They had to draw 21 vials of blood from the vein in my right arm, as well as a small amount from the artery in my wrist. And then I was asked to come back later for another vial of blood.

Next up we had to go across the street (via pedway) to the Outpatient Center to get a Dexascan to check bone density. That was interesting as this arm basically went over my hips, shooting radiation into them.

After that was down the hall to the medical imaging center to do an EKG and Echocardiogram. I get these very regularly.

Next, in the same area, but a different team ultrasound my gall bladder, run a doppler on my carotid artery, and then some other test that involved attaching blood pressure cuffs to both arms, four on each leg, and one on each big toe. While in the waiting room for this area is where I heard a man and the nurse discuss what the testicular sonogram was. He asked, but I didn't want to be thinking about his testicles possibly touching one of teh machines I was about to use.

Then a chest x-ray. Again, very routine.

Finally, I grab some food. It is 11:30 by this point. I got a small 1 cup bowl of salad with oil and vinegar because the delis and cafeterias in the hospital area have no low sodium options. :confused: They also have a McDonald's in the children's hospital :confused: so that was no help.

Moving on with my 10 calories for the day, I head across another street (via pedway) to the Heart and Lung Center to their cardiopulmonary lab. It is here that I undergo various pulmonary breathing tests, including a couple that involve being inside a sealed chamber.

After this we wait for a few minutes for the stress test lab to become free and we were sitting alone and my wife looks over at me sitting in the now open chamber and asks if I am OK. I nearly give her my typical, "Yeah, I'm fine," but realize that I finally hit the mental and emotional wall. For the first time in 31 years I finally hit the point in medical testing where if I had an option I would say we were done for the day. Mentally and emotionally I was exhausted, and all I knew was that I still had to get on a treadmill. I decided that if I was going to deal with this thing head-on like I have been I had to push through.

So, we went to the stress test lab and I got all wired up. Then we waited 30 minutes for a cardiologist to show up so they could observe. I hopped on the treadmill and began working my way through the test. The technician said they try to get at least 10 minutes out of everyone. I went 20. After the test she told me that they have a way to measure the lactic acid being put into your muscles (which includes the heart) and most people are expected to reach 1.01 (whatever that means) before they are actually stressed to a point that they can't keep trying. I hit 1.61 and stopped because my legs were on fire. All I knew was I was watching my heart rate and refused to stop until it broke 120 (I hit 124). At rest, I am around 80. The tech told me I hit their expected stopping point when she asked if I needed to stop the first time, and when I pointed out that I made it three cycles after that (one cycle is three minutes, then degree of incline and/or speed increases) she said I did far better than they expected.

In short, I kicked that stress test's ass...as well as a guy with a dying heart can. When I was 16 I was jogging up a steep hill on the freaking things before I had to stop. This was just a brisk walk up a moderate incline.

And after we finished that it was back to the main hospital for the 22nd vial of blood for the day.

And then it was back to the Heart and Lung Center to meet my transplant coordinator for Transplant Teaching, which is where you learn what life changes you have to make. I also got some of my test results back. Everything looks good so far, except I am borderline diabetic. They want me to get treated for that because the drugs I will be taking can cause diabetes, so they are scheduling an endocrinologist appointment for me. But it won't prevent me from being listed.

Then I learned what I can no longer do. Thsi is what I have in my house now that has to go:
No cat (I've had him 11 years :( )
No aquarium
No vegetable garden
No houseplants
No cut or dried flowers
No swimming in pools or natural water sources
No cleaning up after the dog
No changing diapers without wearing gloves
No cleaning toilets
No disc golf on wooded courses
No yard work (raking leaves, pulling weeds, mowing, etc)

OK, so the yard work and toilet things aren't bothering me.

Oh, and I cannot drive for at least 6-8 weeks after the surgery. First the cat, now the car!

And my morning routine will consist of:
Check weight
Check Temperature
Check Blood Pressure
Check Pulse
Check glucose (even if not diabetic, because I'll be at risk now)

And somehow my parents will have to quit smoking or I cannot visit them at their houses. My mom smokes outside anyway, but she will have to immediately wash up when she comes back in.

And to be honest this is all a lot more than I was expecting.

We did meet this nice woman in the lab waiting room who is getting a kidney transplant today from a live donor, who is a friend that volunteered. We compared the processes of live vs deceased donors and I clearly got the shaft. No one can just up and volunteer to give me their heart because we are good friends. I should have gotten her name so I could call and see how she is doing today, maybe send a card. Hmm, small interactions can leave a mark and you don't even know their name. That's a first for me.

But that is my day in a nutshell. We got out at 5:30 PM. I have a CT scan on the 17th and then my case will be presented to the transplant board for approval and they hope to have me listed by the end of the year. My transplant coordinator said that I don't have anything in my files so far to even raise a question for discussion about me not being approved. In fact, I have spent most of my life following medication times and monitoring my own health, so I am a great candidate.

Anyone want to give a middle-aged cat that still has energy a good home? I'm refusing to take him to a shelter or give him to a stranger (well, right up until I have no choice).

Aside from the fact that I'm halfway across the world, I can't have cat, either. Whether cooked or alive.

It sounds all pretty dramatic when you first learn what you can and can't do... what can be dangerous exposure, but you get used to it. My mother-in-law is going on ten years with the same restrictions, and she's still enjoying life.

Good to know you did well on the stress test. When I got put on notice for blood pressure (which only went up because my wife was also sick at the time), I kicked that test's butt from here to hellenback, too. Childhood angina, diabetes, liver problems, obesity and all.

You've done excellently. I hope you get your heart (or confirmation of it) by Christmas. 👍

Damn you need to give up a lot of things. I assume it's all due to various diseases that you could be exposed to? But hey all of that is a small price to pay for having a somewhat healthy and normal life after the transplant.

Sounds like a very very hard day, I'm sure it ranks up there as one of your hardest but you've dealt with it well. Those restrictions surprised me, are most of them because of risk of infection? I feel for you having to give up the cat :guilty:

Chin up mate and good luck, it seems to be going as well as it can in the circumstances so hopefully that will help keep you positive.

Back