Ford planning LeMans Return + Ford GT revival

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slash
  • 824 comments
  • 100,413 views
What have we here?

gtlm.png


 
And let the speculation begin.
 
Looks nice! No...looks AWESOME :drool: . It even has a fin! :D
 
I don't think Ford is done yet....
 
Looks nice! No...looks AWESOME :drool: . It even has a fin! :D

Yeah, been meaning to ask that; why does it have a fin? Aren't GTE cars not meant to have one in the first place? :confused:
 
Last edited:
That image may just be of an early design concept for the road car before they finalised the design.
 
I'd hit it with a fin. Would look insane. Out of place maybe, but insane.
 
The fin and large rear wing suggest connotations of LMP, but I can't see this new GT competing at the top Le Mans class. It would be more at home in GTE.
 
The fin and large rear wing suggest connotations of LMP, but I can't see this new GT competing at the top Le Mans class. It would be more at home in GTE.
Was thinking the same thing, but what if they built the prototype off the main car? It's a loony thought, but the last racer of that thought process I can think of was either the 911 GT1 car or the CLK-GTR. Of course, if the GT1 class was revived I'd be thrilled.
 
I, for one, certainly love to see the Ford GT refreshed. However, I didn't immediately fall in love with its looks immediately. The nostalgic type in my wished they'd stick with the classic GT40's design just like the Ford GT of the previous decade. Or if you're going to go futuristic, go with an even cooler looking GT90. I do like the newer Ford GT. Not love it, but a strong like.
 
I, for one, certainly love to see the Ford GT refreshed. However, I didn't immediately fall in love with its looks immediately. The nostalgic type in my wished they'd stick with the classic GT40's design just like the Ford GT of the previous decade. Or if you're going to go futuristic, go with an even cooler looking GT90. I do like the newer Ford GT. Not love it, but a strong like.
I'm actually glad they made it less like the gt40 (when the guy in the behind the scenes clip said "we didn't want to change it too much" I just thought what are you talking about man? you've made it totally different) while paying respects to the original design, it is it's own car, and IMO the best looking super car in a long while. It's freakin gorgeous.
 
However, I didn't immediately fall in love with its looks immediately.
Same, honestly I think it was more the sheer Lamborghini-ishness of it.

I'm not a fan of that sort of thing.

The GT did grow on me though, through little things like the insane flying buttresses.
 
Same, honestly I think it was more the sheer Lamborghini-ishness of it.

I'm not a fan of that sort of thing.

The GT did grow on me though, through little things like the insane flying buttresses.
It's the sort of design that can indeed grow on you
 
It is. It was the same with the McLaren P1.

I love both now.
Out of the two I definitely prefer the gt (I'm sure a lot will think differently though)
 
To me the P1 is pretty much industrial art. The GT is great, but I'm a sucker for seeing all the mechanics at the back.
They are both great designs
 
Either Ford is trolling us and they've made a P2 car not GTE......or they are really REALLY bored. Because the GTE car will most likely just be a slightly modified GT with a nice large spoiler at the back. :p The red color P2 stickers are really weird though...especially with the HY sticker. Especially when P2 doesn't allow hybrids...neither does GTE....especially when the roadcar isn't a hybrid.
 
Last edited:
That rendering looks based off the design sketches seen in the background of the Forza video.
 
Either Ford is trolling us and they've made a P2 car not GTE......or they are really REALLY bored. Because the GTE car will most likely just be a slightly modified GT with a nice large spoiler at the back. :p The red color P2 stickers are really weird though...especially with the HY sticker. Especially when P2 doesn't allow hybrids...neither does GTE....especially when the roadcar isn't a hybrid.
And that is all moot because this isn't from Ford.
 
Well the design looks similar to Toyota GT-One. Is the GT1 an LMP or not ?
 
Well the design looks similar to Toyota GT-One. Is the GT1 an LMP or not ?
Well techincally that late 90's era of GT1 was GT (however treated as LMP1 aka the top class). You had to have a roadcar version to race and there was a Toyota TS020 road car. Just as the Panoz Esperante GTR had a road car variant, the Mclaren F1 GTR's (the Long Tail by then), and the Porsche 911 GT1's, Mercede CK-LM, and Nissan R390 GT1.
 

Attachments

  • 9tj2o2.jpg
    9tj2o2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 1997-panoz-esperante-gtr-1-road-car.jpg
    1997-panoz-esperante-gtr-1-road-car.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 1998-toyota-gt-one-road-version-ts020.jpg
    1998-toyota-gt-one-road-version-ts020.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 28
  • AEEE7BD0F.jpg
    AEEE7BD0F.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 19
  • McLaren_F1_GTR.jpg
    McLaren_F1_GTR.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 26
  • nissan-r390-gt1.png
    nissan-r390-gt1.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 20
There's also some great stories about TMG and how they did the high speed testing and bending the rules.
 
Back