Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 1,964 comments

Who will win the Driver's Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bye Italian Jesus

zkqcqvQ.jpg

In other words, the FIA (either by offering them a shed load of money or dangling them over a shark pit) made Mercedes an offer they couldn't refuse and have removed the threat of the CAS.
Anyone care to comment on the validity of the statements in this article (emphasis mine)? They claim that no F1 team has the ability to take their claim to the CAS? Because that would imply that there's no threat here from Mercedes to got to the CAS at all? (Pretty sure they could take it to real court if they wanted to? But IANAL)

"As Sportsmail reported, Mercedes will get one shot at overturning the race result and Verstappen’s drivers’ championship title – and will not be able to take their claim to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. FIA rules, that all Formula One teams sign up to, give the body’s International Court of Appeal in Paris as the only arbiter for settling disputes, meaning Mercedes will have to convince a panel appointed by the FIA to find against the FIA."

Anyone care to comment on the validity of the statements in this article (emphasis mine)? They claim that no F1 team has the ability to take their claim to the CAS? Because that would imply that there's no threat here from Mercedes to got to the CAS at all? (Pretty sure they could take it to real court if they wanted to? But IANAL)

"As Sportsmail reported, Mercedes will get one shot at overturning the race result and Verstappen’s drivers’ championship title – and will not be able to take their claim to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. FIA rules, that all Formula One teams sign up to, give the body’s International Court of Appeal in Paris as the only arbiter for settling disputes, meaning Mercedes will have to convince a panel appointed by the FIA to find against the FIA."
If it's true, I would imagine it's a big reason behind Mercedes cancelling their appeal - realising that Metropolitan Police-levels of self-absolution would render it a massive waste of time and money.

Right. The team principals were doing their job, using everything in their power to advocate for their team. Masi wasn't doing his job, which in this case would have included channelling his inner Kimi and telling them to shut the **** up and leave him alone.

I do agree that the team principals shouldn't be calling up the race director during the race, but it's not fair to knock them for using a capability that they were given.
This!!!!! I’m sick of hearing ohh it’s so much pressure for him… the team principal shouldn't be in his ear… Like really??? Tell them to shut up and follow your own rules so you don’t look crazy sir.

The International Court of Appeal is still an independent judiciary. Other than the initial appointment, there is no other influence by the FIA.
As for not being able to appeal to the CAS, I believe that is correct, I can’t find a source confirming that other than what you have already provided. My thinking is because the FIA is in France, it is the highest jurisdiction. The IOC and FIFA for example, are based in Switzerland, alongside the CAS, and that could be a reason why, considering technically, after the CAS, you can actually then appeal to Swiss law courts of appeal.

But, I’m sure there would possibly be an exceptional circumstance that things can be taken higher if a party tried to.

This!!!!! I’m sick of hearing ohh it’s so much pressure for him… the team principal shouldn't be in his ear… Like really??? Tell them to shut up and follow your own rules so you don’t look crazy sir.
Whilst somewhat true that still leaves the possibility of his decisions being subconsciously affected by what they're saying. It's all very well telling them to get stuffed, but it's still putting thoughts in his head that he may be swayed by without realising it. It's like having the little angel and devil on your shoulders. "Michael, one more lap" "No Michael, end behind SC".

That's why it needs to be stamped out.

Whilst somewhat true that still leaves the possibility of his decisions being subconsciously affected by what they're saying. It's all very well telling them to get stuffed, but it's still putting thoughts in his head that he may be swayed by without realising it. It's like having the little angel and devil on your shoulders. "Michael, one more lap" "No Michael, end behind SC".

Would have been funny if Michael as a result penalized both Hamilton AND Verstappen for the constant communication.

I feel what you saying but it’s still not good enough… He needs to be professional and in his line of work he has to understand how many people are going to be in your ear. If he can easily be swayed by others he needs to step down… If he just followed his own rules we would not be talking about this. Sundays race was terrible and reminded me of WWE, this cannot happen again.

Can't say I'm happy about this as to be honest nothing will really be changed and we know that this season's championship is tainted.
My waning interest in the sport has nosedived to complete disinterest as it is no longer a sport. I can't follow a sport which cannot uphold it's own rules.

It's up to F1 to change my future mind.

Can't say I'm happy about this as to be honest nothing will really be changed and we know that this season's championship is tainted.
My waning interest in the sport has nosedived to complete disinterest as it is no longer a sport. I can't follow a sport which cannot uphold it's own rules.

It's up to F1 to change my future mind.
Same. It reminds me of those abusive relationships where you see a woman or man gets completely disrespected, abused, beaten. The person threatens to leave, the other party sweet talks them, gives vague promises of change and they get back together.

That's the part that did it for me as well as the emphasis on the "show". I think things will only get worse from now... Slowly they will keep pushing for more sprint races, next thing we'll have reverse grids and the sport will be unrecognisable.

Even then that would be okayish if at least the rules would be applied in a consistent and fair manner without an obvious need to push for grand finale events or what have you. I thought perhaps after a few days I'd cool off and look forward to the next season but I'm just really disgusted by everything. I might just watch highlights and gain back my Sundays for now.

Same. It reminds me of those abusive relationships where you see a woman or man gets completely disrespected, abused, beaten. The person threatens to leave, the other party sweet talks them, gives vague promises of change and they get back together.

That's the part that did it for me as well as the emphasis on the "show". I think things will only get worse from now... Slowly they will keep pushing for more sprint races, next thing we'll have reverse grids and the sport will be unrecognisable.

Even then that would be okayish if at least the rules would be applied in a consistent and fair manner without an obvious need to push for grand finale events or what have you. I thought perhaps after a few days I'd cool off and look forward to the next season but I'm just really disgusted by everything. I might just watch highlights and gain back my Sundays for now.
Bro that wasn’t a grand finale that was a sacrifice to the F1 gods! If buddy wanted a Grand Finale he should of Red flag the race, or just let Max run through the 5 cars in front of him! That would of been a grand finale, but what did we get??? I watched Max give up track position for softs, gain his track position back like no way I have ever seen to slaughter Ham.

The worst part about interfering in that moment the way they did is that there is no guarantee that either driver will ever be in that position again. Hopefully Lewis will get another chance at #8 and Max will get another chance at a legitimate title, but things don’t always go as forecast.

Not sure how to take this. I will say that Toto Wolff's candid words here is a sign Mercedes only agreed to drop the protest once they had a deal they felt wasn't going to let the FIA weasel out of this, regardless of what statement they put out there. That might've been incredibly naive of them but...

www.autosport.com/f1/news/wolff-has-no-interest-in-talking-to-masi-after-abu-dhabi-f1-controversy/6885904/amp/

For those wondering if Masi and Wolff are BFFs again...
"I am not interested in having a conversation with Michael Masi.

Last edited:
Wolff and Hamilton will not attend tonight’s ceremony, via ESPN:

"No, both of us won't be there. And I won't be there because of my loyalty to Lewis and because of my own personal integrity," Wolff told reporters on Thursday.

"But we will be represented as a team by James Allison, who will be taking the trophy on behalf of all the people in Brackley and Brixworth who should celebrate our eighth consecutive world championship title. Who deserve to be celebrated, because it's a fantastic achievement that we are very proud of.

"And in a way I'm trying to compartmentalise the anger on the outcome of the Formula 1 Drivers' World Championship and on the other side the pride and the joy of having achieved something unprecedented. That needs to be celebrated."

Wolff and Hamilton will not attend tonight’s ceremony, via ESPN:

"No, both of us won't be there. And I won't be there because of my loyalty to Lewis and because of my own personal integrity," Wolff told reporters on Thursday.

"But we will be represented as a team by James Allison, who will be taking the trophy on behalf of all the people in Brackley and Brixworth who should celebrate our eighth consecutive world championship title. Who deserve to be celebrated, because it's a fantastic achievement that we are very proud of.

"And in a way I'm trying to compartmentalise the anger on the outcome of the Formula 1 Drivers' World Championship and on the other side the pride and the joy of having achieved something unprecedented. That needs to be celebrated."
No Michael, no, this is not right, red wine doesn't pair with the fish!

It's called dining, Toto. We went out for dinner.

At least it's racing.
With Fan Boost, Attack mode, head to head duels in qualifying I think many racing fans in this thread would decry it for trying to put on a show.

I'm not ragging on Formula E by the way, but if you're going to rage quit F1, you should probably know what Formula E could bring you instead... this article covers a race I'd originally planned to go to.

With Fan Boost, Attack mode, head to head duels in qualifying I think many racing fans in this thread would decry it for trying to put on a show.

I'm not ragging on Formula E by the way, but if you're going to rage quit F1, you should probably know what Formula E could bring you instead... this article covers a race I'd originally planned to go to.
I'm not rage quitting F1. Haven't been a fan for a while.

I'm only paying attention right now because it coincides with the FIA election and I wanted to keep up with what shady things the F1 mafia was going to do.

Sounds **** to be honest, but I guess as long as everyone's subjected to the same rules it's still better than what we saw in F1 this year.

More than F1, NASCAR? Wow it must awesome then. :eek:

Oh you meant that as a negative. :lol:
Arguably the worst series imho. I can’t help but laugh when someone says that their switching to FE after being disillusioned with F1.

Back