Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 1,964 comments

Who will win the Driver's Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It quite clearly says that fans, media, and indeed teams themselves have misunderstood the situation and it's that which is causing the problem that's tarnishing the sport.

Which is ****ing staggering arrogance.
Well not anything of consequence.

They will perform an analysis and provide clarity to us plebs and the teams about what happened and why we misunderstood.

Last one, I promise :D

1639619183189.png

It would wreck too many lives to ever happen, but I would love for tomorrow’s announcement from Mercedes to be that they are withdrawing from the F1 clown show effective immediately. Then we’d get to watch the FIA gamely smile its way through the prizegiving while 1/3 of the 2022 grid is a smoking crater.

Didn’t Mercedes just announce this is their last season in FE?
Mercedes are already in FE.
So if Lewis does want to go to FE, do they kick out someone who is already on contract, like Pink Mercedes did to Sainz?
I don't know enough.

Yet. But just bought tickets to Formula E Vancouver 2022. X-Mas gifts. :D

Last edited:
Ross Brawn says team principals will not have contact with the race director next season. However, Ross does sort of shift a little blame onto the team principals for putting Masi under pressure for the decision made.
Right. The team principals were doing their job, using everything in their power to advocate for their team. Masi wasn't doing his job, which in this case would have included channelling his inner Kimi and telling them to shut the **** up and leave him alone.

I do agree that the team principals shouldn't be calling up the race director during the race, but it's not fair to knock them for using a capability that they were given.
It's only match-fixing if the FIA had pre-determined that RedBull will get the win, which I don't believe there's any evidence for.
That's why I said essentially match fixing. In this case they weren't manipulating the match specifically to alter the outcome (probably), but they were manipulating the match in order to produce the greatest spectacle and they happened to do it in a way that altered the outcome.

The difference is intent. What they did is not as reprehensible from a personal culpability standpoint as traditional match fixing, but in terms of the damage that it does to the legitimacy of the sport from the perspective of the viewers it seems more or less the same to me. If the outcome isn't based on the interaction between the competitors under fair and consistent rules, you're basically watching a lottery.
This is some Grade A ******** right here. "Misunderstanding"? Even if that were true, the only people to blame for communicating poorly are the organisers. It's not the public's fault if they don't understand the sport, it's the organisers job to explain it to them.

But actually, even the commentators and drivers didn't understand what was going on and why. If it was a "misunderstanding", then they'd just explain it to us and we'd all nod and agree. The amusing thing is that they're trying to use the same tactics to get out of this situation that got them into it. They can't just lie and change the rules to make everything okay when that was the problem in the first place.

Gauge my current trust level with the FIA with my translation:

Everyone out there doesn't know what you are talking about and you're making us look bad. Now be quiet and sit down so we can tell you why we are right and you are wrong. Once we're done, you can make your points but we make zero promises we'll actually do anything.
Edit: It also says "The FIA’s primary responsibility at any event is to ensure the safety of everyone involved and the integrity of the sport", which rather interestingly looks like they're using "any" to mean "all" or thinks there's some events where it doesn't count that as a primary responsibility...
I present to you Article 2.2 because it says that the FIA is the governing body at Events which is specifically defined as "any" event. Maybe the FIA does not have authority over the Abu Dhabi race because "any" does not mean "all", after all.

1639624179386.png

And, by the time he got to the inside, there was a car ahead of him. The telling point is you start to see him turn towards the apex at such a slow speed and jink off, with a car's width between himself and the apex. Just so happened to be a car there.
Because Max dived from the Moon's orbit when all drivers would not expect anyone to dive from there. Also first lap so you are naturally more tentive whilst the tyres are not at proper temperatures.

Because Max dived from the Moon's orbit when all drivers would not expect anyone to dive from there. Also first lap so you are naturally more tentive whilst the tyres are not at proper temperatures.
Yet, if someone does that at Rascasse, it’s amazing

I might own the record for the shortest F1 race thread.
I would highly enjoy some sort of format where we have a classic race thread and comment a classic race; ideally a majority of people who haven't seen the race and a small minority who have (to avoid people telegraphing 'predictions' as best as possible). Tricky to organise everyone watching at the same time but it would be quite fun to comment on F1 retrospectively.

Tricky to organise everyone watching at the same time but it would be quite fun to comment on F1 retrospectively.
That wouldn't matter mate; we're all armchair experts here, the cheap seats, the peanut gallery. Everything's retrospective.

Oh wait... I'm just speaking of myself... :banghead: :lol:

Last edited:
That doesn't mean anything.

I fully expect the staff here to do what it takes the keep the forum tidy & in check. I don't expect them to do that by banning people they don't like for no reason.

The driver reactions clearly show what transpired is not what they expected to finish racing under green. They know full well there will always be variables that can prevent a race from ending under a green flag. If Masi's intention was to end under green, the option to finish the final lap with the cars as they stood in order was always there.
You've lost me with the forum staff comment...

See also: Susie Wolff's own statement in full rather than a cropped down version from a news outlet that relegates the racing driver and Venturi Racing CEO's identity to being a man's wife.

(not a pop at you, but at ****** headlines and ****** misogynist behaviour from ****** news organisations)

Can't really disagree with the majority of her statement, it's how many of us are feeling even if the FIA would apparently rather we didn't.

Last edited:
I would highly enjoy some sort of format where we have a classic race thread and comment a classic race; ideally a majority of people who haven't seen the race and a small minority who have (to avoid people telegraphing 'predictions' as best as possible). Tricky to organise everyone watching at the same time but it would be quite fun to comment on F1 retrospectively.

Not sure how many folks can pick a random old race and watch it. I stopped recording them around 1999, but I have the F1 Pro app and occasionally watch some classic events; especially those from before I followed the series. If anyone wants to give this a go, that's fine by me.

I'm in the middle of the 1983 Dutch GP, because that one had a clash between two of the greats. (Zandvoort used to be very bumpy, too.) The app condenses that race into about hour, although some are just 10-15 minute highlights, and entire seasons are recapped in a one hour format.

Last edited:
Hmm. Wonder if they wrote this before the FIA statement. Because I now can't see that comission ending with anything but further re-iteration that what Masi did was fine, he'll continue in his role and next season will have more dodgy calls.
It can end with a clarification on “if X happens under a safety car, these procedures must be followed.”

Really, all that needs to be done is the addition of “in accordance with the regulations” at the end of 15.3.e

In other words, the FIA (either by offering them a shed load of money or dangling them over a shark pit) made Mercedes an offer they couldn't refuse and have removed the threat of the CAS.

It can end with a clarification on “if X happens under a safety car, these procedures must be followed.”

Really, all that needs to be done is the addition of “in accordance with the regulations” at the end of 15.3.e
It can, but I bet it won't. Because that would still require the FIA to admit there was an issue with the regulations, and their statement clearly insinuates they don't think there is. We were just all not understanding it, according to them.

It can, but I bet it won't. Because that would still require the FIA to admit there was an issue with the regulations, and their statement clearly insinuates they don't think there is. We were just all not understanding it, according to them.
Whatever their intention for ending safety car periods depends on how they handle this inquiry. If they would like to leave themselves the option of ending early “in the interests of not ending under a safety car”, they can further define the discretion the race director has in those instances, or clearly state something like “in the event this happens at the end of the race, the race director may direct the safety car to enter the pits prior to the following lap.”

I think the outcome we all need, as a sport going forward, is a clear direction for these types of circumstances if they were to arise again. Usually this is what happens after a “loophole” or anomaly in the rules happens in any sport. One of my favourite watches on YouTube is SB Nation’s Weird Rules. Maybe we can suggest this as an example for them to do. They’ve already done one on Fan Boost

Latest Posts

Back