Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 1,964 comments

Who will win the Driver's Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder what people would think if Abu Dhabi took place somewhere midseason and, say, Silverstone or Hungaroring was the final race.

My point is that sometimes you're lucky, and instead of only looking at the last race (Max was very lucky), try to look at the whole season. Stuff evens out.
Whilst a few have called for an overturning I think the vast majority of people (here and in the general fanbase) have no real issue with VER being champion, and don't want or expect that to change. As you say, it's a season long battle and over the season you'd be hard pressed to say VER doesn't deserve it. He does, and he did nothing wrong in the final laps.

That doesn't change the fact that the final action that led to him taking the title was one many see as wrong by the person/people officiating, and it doesn't sit right.

It's more for the future than anything else. We can't keep seeing decisions like this.

EDIT: Also it's worth pointing out that if this did happen in the middle of the season I think it's extremely likely it would've ended under SC. Which is another part of the issue, different officiating for different scenarios. As @Imari said, they shouldn't be basing their decisions on how entertaining it will make the race and title battle, they're supposed to be sporting officials. If the regs say it should end under SC, it should end under SC.

Last edited:
Waiting for a Toto Wolff tweet saying

WE WON THIS CHAMPIONSHIP BY A LOT!!!!

"Verstappen fans don't love Formula One enough."

"Slipstream Media will have you believe that Verstappen won the World Driver's Championship..."

"We need to stop Driver of the Day Voting."

#letsgodeletraz

Last edited:
All discussions and controversy aside, i really liked this moment in the pre-race buildup.

For me, it really set the tone that this moment was about to be something special, and that something historic was about to happen. Which turned out to be true lol, although not in a way i had hoped.
Cause even tho i'm Dutch, i kinda wish Hamilton would have won his 8th WDC, and to go down in history as the undisputed. That would have made this event and this whole season truly historic.
Max's era will come.

Whilst a few have called for an overturning I think the vast majority of people (here and in the general fanbase) have no real issue with VER being champion, and don't want or expect that to change. As you say, it's a season long battle and over the season you'd be hard pressed to say VER doesn't deserve it. He does, and he did nothing wrong in the final laps.

That doesn't change the fact that the final action that led to him taking the title was one many see as wrong by the person/people officiating, and it doesn't sit right.

It's more for the future than anything else. We can't keep seeing decisions like this.

EDIT: Also it's worth pointing out that if this did happen in the middle of the season I think it's extremely likely it would've ended under SC. Which is another part of the issue, different officiating for different scenarios. As @Imari said, they shouldn't be basing their decisions on how entertaining it will make the race and title battle, they're supposed to be sporting officials. If the regs say it should end under SC, it should end under SC.

I sincerely believe the FIA is inconsequent all season though and screw ups falling both ways all season.

They were really unclear in their communication to the teams/drivers in Qatar, screwed up and punished VER for a collision were IMO both had a part (HAM in refusing to overtake for obvious DRS reasons).
They screwed up in Belgium, where they completed a fake race just for financial reasons. VER had an advantage there.
They also were horrible in Silverstone IMHO, where 1 contender elimated (not on purpose) the other contender, and by result still had the possibility to win the GP and gain 25 points.
They were unclear in the track limits at Bahrein, with HAM driving an illegal line (according to FIA) on 29 (!) laps with an advantage of 0.2s per lap, and as soon as VER did the same to overtake HAM, he got a warning and had to return the position (HAM winning the race with 0.7s).

So yeah, if you want to complain about the FIA being in favor of 1 driver, again, look at the complete season. They were unclear all year.
Hamilton has been robbed of the Abu Dhabi victory for sure, but it's too easy to say he was robbed of the overall 2021 title just because it was the final race. Because that would mean you have to review all controversial decisions.

Hamilton is the GOAT F1 driver, but it seems FIA wanted to have a close VER-HAM fight this year. It's a shame really, but yeah, I guess Max had his luck at the right moment.

Last edited:
Okay, FN-2187.

:P
1639581341616.png

Merc have been silent on social media since after the race.
Maybe still hung over...

Last edited:
How would the constructirs, engineers, technical staff, sim testers etc feel right now at Mercedes? Are they angry because Lewis didn't win his 8th title or are they disappointed because Mercedes won the constructors championship but seems to be a minor 'issue'? So quiet from the Mercedes camp.

BTW Congratz with knight Lewis!

All discussions and controversy aside, i really liked this moment in the pre-race buildup.

For me, it really set the tone that this moment was about to be something special, and that something historic was about to happen. Which turned out to be true lol, although not in a way i had hoped.
Cause even tho i'm Dutch, i kinda wish Hamilton would have won his 8th WDC, and to go down in history as the undisputed. That would have made this event and this whole season truly historic.
Max's era will come.

To be honest that was part of the problem. They focused so much on the title bout and cared only about Max and Lewis they forgot they had a full grid to work for. They threw out the regulations to set up that "special" moment for the last lap shootout.

There is one thing I will admit to. For how serious I feel about this whole situation, every time I hear Toto Wolff's "No, Mikey, No!", the mental image that has been etched into my mind is... a Spongebob scene with Christian Horner as Plankton.

Or to be more technically correct...

5xzwt3.jpg

@Dennisch (or anyone else) Is a clip of the Dutch commentary available outside the Netherlands yet? There must be, erm, at least one sneaky video.

@Dennisch (or anyone else) Is a clip of the Dutch commentary available outside the Netherlands yet? There must be, erm, at least one sneaky video.

I think you can see this one.

Edit.

Watch how pale Jos is at the 5.20 mark.

Last edited:
Ross Brawn says team principals will not have contact with the race director next season. However, Ross does sort of shift a little blame onto the team principals for putting Masi under pressure for the decision made.
Ross Brawn, Formula 1’s managing director of motorsports, has revealed they will stop team principals from being able to speak to the race director during Grands Prix next season.

It comes after Toto Wolff and Christian Horner both made their cases to race director Michael Masi during the controversial conclusion to Sunday’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where Max Verstappen pipped Lewis Hamilton to the world title.
‘We will stop this contact next year,’ the Briton told Auto Motor und Sport.

‘It’s unacceptable that team bosses put Michael under such pressure during the race. It’s like the coaches negotiating with the referee in football.

‘Toto can’t demand there shouldn’t be a Safety Car and Christian can’t demand the cars have to un-lap. That’s at the discretion of the race director.’

https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia-world-motor-sport-council
Statement of the FIA World Motor Sport Council
On Sunday, another FIA F1 World Championship season of competitive excellence has concluded, and the credit goes to the participating drivers and teams. The FIA congratulates all of them for their performances in this year. It was a hard fight, and the best competition was displayed at each Grand Prix.

The world watched every race with great anticipation, knowing that in the end, there could only be one winner. In this respect, many praised Max Verstappen for his victory, and Lewis Hamilton for his remarkable performance and sportsmanship after the closing event of the season.
The 2021 FIA Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, has prompted a large number of reactions from the F1 community and from motor sport in general, as well as in the public.
The FIA’s primary responsibility at any event is to ensure the safety of everyone involved and the integrity of the sport.
The circumstances surrounding the use of the Safety Car following the incident of driver Nicholas Latifi, and the related communications between the FIA Race Direction team and the Formula 1 teams, have notably generated significant misunderstanding and reactions from Formula 1 teams, drivers and fans, an argument that is currently tarnishing the image of the Championship and the due celebration of the first Drivers' World Championship title won by Max Verstappen and the eighth consecutive Constructors' World Championship title won by Mercedes.
Following the presentation of a report regarding the sequence of events that took place following the incident on Lap 53 of the Grand Prix and in a constant drive for improvement, the FIA President proposed to the World Motor Sport Council that a detailed analysis and clarification exercise for the future with all relevant parties will now take place.
This matter will be discussed and addressed with all the teams and drivers to draw any lessons from this situation and clarity to be provided to the participants, media, and fans about the current regulations to preserve the competitive nature of our sport while ensuring the safety of the drivers and officials. It is not only Formula 1 that may benefit from this analysis, but also more generally all the other FIA circuit championships.
Following that presentation and an extensive discussion, the World Council has decided to unanimously support the President’s proposal.
The FIA will therefore do its utmost to have this in motion within the Formula 1 governance and will propose to the Formula 1 Commission to give a clear mandate for study and proposal to the Sporting Advisory Committee, with the support of Formula 1 drivers, so that any identified meaningful feedback and conclusions be made before the beginning of the 2022 season.
Statement of the FIA World Motor Sport Council.png

Back