Formula 1 Gran Premio de la Cuidad De México 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 152 comments
After watching the highlights it genuinely beggars belief why Max feels the need to throw in kamikaze moves like that, the 2nd violation being akin to the one at Sao Paulo vs Lewis. Never in a month of Mondays would you be able to pull that move off, hell if he was running a simulation of that in iRacing I doubt he would even consider it 99 times out of 100. More so if there were barriers close to the track limits e.g. Abu Dhabi S3.

"I was feeling compelled to do that because the pace wasn't there" doesn't fly, at that point it's just dangerous driving. If he's going to continue go for moves even Yuji Ide would've blanched at, the powers that be should should take heed and slap him with a race ban because at this point time penalties and/or grid penalties aren't getting through. Hell, one could argue it should've happened already.

If, instead of taking such a lesson onboard it hastens him to the exit door, well, good riddance.
It has kind of become his signature move and to be fair the FIA has let it slide for ages. He misses the corner, but makes sure to be ahead at the apex and thereby does not have to give his opponent room to race. The weird part is that the FIA seems to ignore it when he leaves the track himself as seen in Austin.

I think the 10 seconds for the turn 4 incident were at least in part the FIA admitting they got it wrong in Austin. That was more like a 5 second penalty imo. Turn 8 is 10 minimum.

F1 has had this issue before, where a championship contender resorts to ridiculous and childish moves on track against title challengers.
1000027081.jpg

Max knows, a bit like Abu Dhabi 2021, that he has the points advantage so can go into every wheel-to-wheel battle with Norris knowing that Lando cannot risk any form of damage or a DNF. Compare the pass Sainz did for the lead, Vs the three bits of petulance he did against Norris in the last few races. It sucks, because for a few laps before the Austin incident, Max showed once again just how good he is in wheel-to-wheel combat at defending against Norris, but he just cannot accept losing and shows it off in the worst possible way. The only way it hasn't ended in a million crashes is because he often challenges for titles with drivers with some form of self-preservation - Hamilton and Norris.

Both of these drivers decided once to not take Max's crap (Silverstone 21, Austria 24) and accepted his "I turn in you get out the way" contract...and Max never learned his lesson.

These last two weekends have been wildly inconsistent in the stewarding to the reckless moves and we now head back to the scene of one of the worst unpunished moves of his back catalogue.

McLaren need to be ready with many spare parts because I cannot see Norris escaping this Interlagos weekend with all four wheels on his car if there's any on-track battles with Max.

McLaren need to be ready with many spare parts because I cannot see Norris escaping this Interlagos weekend with all four wheels on his car if there's any on-track battles with Max.
Thankfully it looks like a 10 place grid penalty is on the menu for Max for an engine change.

Back