Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,235 comments
I did 20 laps in the T.50 on Yas Marina last night, and another 7 on Catalunya because it's one of the best driving cars ever. There isn't a lot of fancy electronic tech, there's no hybrid, no electric motors, no torque vectoring and no 4 wheel drive, so the experience isn't diluted in any way. You are in full control of the car and it responds exactly as you expect it to, inspiring a level of confidence that few cars can hope of matching. The light weight and the ground effect combine to create a ruthlessly efficient package which never feels intimidating. You barely have to think about what you're doing because the car just does it. The feedback is instant, everything is balanced and you can trust the car through each turn, which is more than can be said for stuff like the Lotus Evija and Koenigsegg Jesko. The T.50 proves that less really is more when it comes to creating a driver-focused supercar.

It went up against F1 23, EA Sports FC 24, Hot Wheels 2, & The Crew Motorfest. I think it was pretty much guaranteed just as the biggest/well known racing title there.
The Game Awards are only 10% audience vote. This award was given to FM by the reviewers/journalists/etc that are on the voting jury.

I honestly think there needs to be a discussion at some point about how racing games are reviewed. Same for fighting games. Not talking about this year's award just in general it has the same issues that racing games have with how they're viewed casually.

Last edited:
For accessibility features I can understand why, but I don't think in its current state that FM8 is "racing game of the year" material.
To be fair, it didn't exactly have strong competition.

-EA FC 24: Yearly football game that (as far as I can tell) isn't too different from previous installments, and has micro-transactions out the wazoo.

-F1 23: Yearly F1 game, which by default makes it only appealing to a niche within a niche as far as audience goes, even if it's been well-reviewed.

-Hot Wheels 2: I legit forgot that this game even came out. HW2 looks to have gotten good reviews, but it wasn't drastically different from the first game, and it seems like it never gained any momentum after launch. It feels like there was legitimately no marketing for this game whatsoever.

-The Crew Motorfest: A very pretty, broken mess of a game, that in a lot of ways is very much worse than its predecessor. I'd say that it's in a similar boat to Forza currently, just in different ways.

I'm certain that at least some recency bias is at play, but while FM23 absolutely has issues, the core of the game (the actual driving/racing) is legit good, and I feel does a lot more to at least attempt appealing to a wider audience. The game just needs all the other things surrounding its core to be addressed, and with any luck it'll be much more appealing in the long run.

Also, there is a rather shocking number of people on other parts of the net that are taking issue with FM23 winning the accessibility award. Like, the game legit gives blind people the tools to enjoy racing, but some can't help but to take rather toxic issue with it. :indiff:

Last edited:
Lemme analyze every of the nominated games' unique accessibility options.

Forza Motorsport's Unique Accessibility Options
  • Audio cues for gear shifting, track limits and turns
  • First big-name racing game of its kind to feature assists for blind driving
  • Driving assists that automatically drive for you
Diablo IV's Unique Accessibility Options (Check this link for more info)
  • Screen readers
  • Player an item highlighting

Spider-Man 2's Unique Accessibility Options (Check this link for more info)
  • Options to simplify gameplay, such as removing quick time events or making puzzles easier
  • Swinging assists
  • Audio frequency control
  • Shaders for visibility

Hi-Fi Rush's Unique Accessibility Options (Check this link for more info)
  • Single key rhythm (Maps all rhythm-based elements into one button press)
  • Auto-action mode (Press one button and the game attacks for you)
  • Rhythm assist (Helps visualize the beats coming)

Mortal Kombat 1's Unique Accessibility Options (Check this link for more info)
  • Advanced audio cues for distance of fighters, health meters, etc.
Street Fighter 6's Unique Accessibility Options (Check this link for more info)
  • Similar to MK1's accessibility options

The idea of blind driving assists via audio cues seem to be innovative and advanced for a racing game, in general, with lots of dedication and minimal issues about it. No racing game, ever has blind driving assists until Forza Motorsport. So, I guess the voting party, mostly the reviewers and journalists found it to be unique and beneficial for players, so, they gave Forza Motorsport the award.

To be fair, it didn't exactly have strong competition.

-EA FC 24: Yearly football game that (as far as I can tell) isn't too different from previous installments, and has micro-transactions out the wazoo.

-F1 23: Yearly F1 game, which by default makes it only appealing to a niche within a niche as far as audience goes, even if it's been well-reviewed.

-Hot Wheels 2: I legit forgot that this game even came out. HW2 looks to have gotten good reviews, but it wasn't drastically different from the first game, and it seems like it never gained any momentum after launch. It feels like there was legitimately no marketing for this game whatsoever.

-The Crew Motorfest: A very pretty, broken mess of a game, that in a lot of ways is very much worse than its predecessor. I'd say that it's in a similar boat to Forza currently, just in different ways.

I'm certain that at least some recency bias is at play, but while FM23 absolutely has issues, the core of the game (the actual driving/racing) is legit good, and I feel does a lot more to at least attempt appealing to a wider audience. The game just needs all the other things surrounding its core to be addressed, and with any luck it'll be much more appealing in the long run.

Also, there is a rather shocking number of people on other parts of the net that are taking issue with FM23 winning the accessibility award. Like, the game legit gives blind people the tools to enjoy racing, but some can't help but to take rather toxic issue with it. :indiff:
Yeah, the entire lineup was idk, mediocre. Hopefully, actual competition such as Assetto Corsa Competizione or maybe Rennsport or GTR Revival deserved to be even nominated so that the nominees could have some actual competition in the future.
  • EA FC 24 - No significant differences other than it being the usual FIFA game
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 - I guess it shared the same formula with Hot Wheels Unleashed, with less momentum and post-launch content coming out
  • The Crew Motorfest - Would have been a good competitor, considering that it may have slight improvements from The Crew 2, as well as using the nostalgia generated from its Oahu map as its unique selling point. Unfortunately, there are some unoriginal elements added to the game such as Horizon 4-5's playlists.
  • F1 23 - Prolly not much new features added, but overhauled physics, more additions to F1 Life and more My Team Drivers

Forza Motorsport winning the Racing/Sports category was very predictable.

95% of outlets just see cars, see Microsoft, give it a high rating and move onto games they actually care about.
Technically, either Forza or Gran Turismo winning the Racing/Sports category may be due to its impact to the racing game genre in general, being the baby steps of a lot of car enthusiasts for at least 10 years. But IDK any other plausible reasons on why the game would win whenever it gets nominated.

Last edited:
The idea of blind driving assists via audio cues seem to be innovative and advanced for a racing game, in general, with lots of dedication and minimal issues about it. No racing game, ever has blind driving assists until Forza Motorsport. So, I guess the voting party, mostly the reviewers and journalists found it to be unique and beneficial for players, so, they gave Forza Motorsport the award.

Exactly this, it would be akin to accessibility options to allow a blind person to play something like Call of Duty. I also see many folks actually using it, with some regular youtubers posting up videos of their blind-driving exploits, which is pretty cool to see.

Yeah, the entire lineup was idk, mediocre. Hopefully, actual competition such as Assetto Corsa Competizione or maybe Rennsport or GTR Revival deserved to be even nominated so that the nominees could have some actual competition in the future.

ACC did come out 4 years ago, for reference here is it's category:

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (Beenox/Activision) - WINNER
DiRT Rally 2.0 (Codemasters)
eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 (PES Productions/Konami)
F1 2019 (Codemasters)
FIFA 20 (EA Sports)

Would expect to see AC2 nominated when it comes out, but I wouldn't hold my breath as even then it's not as mainstream as we would like to believe, so they need to release it with a compelling set of base content for it to be considered GOTY material.

I don't have a problem with FM getting GOTY in this category, I assume the Crew would have been just as deserving, however I've not played it so can't really comment.

If we look back at 2022 to GT7 it got the nod, I was on the fence about buying a PS5 when GT7 came out and decided not to based on its initial release reception, but its certainly much better a year later and I ended up buying GT7 this year. If you go back and look at the nominees in the category for last year I think you can probably agree that GT7 deserves its spot.

F1 22
FIFA 23
NBA 2K23
Gran Turismo 7 - WINNER
OlliOlli World

I don't know if it's been talked about in here or another thread but just wanted to throw out some tuning information.
Under the tab Suspension Geometry. Get rid of that Anti Geometry crap. Turn it to zero (or as close to zero as you can get it) and test the cars. It gets rid of the understeery mess that a lot of cars have. Makes them more lively. It seems to be setup to make the cars understeer and easier to use, maybe for controller? I don't know but you get your steering back. Especially more useful on the stock tires which I find actually usable now. Why they put these fake suspension settings in here, I have no clue. Seems like an overall blanket setting to make a car behave a certain way without doing it the right way with actual car components tuning.
Interesting. I will try this out later today!

I've found that most cars have their front anti-roll bars set super stiff in the stock setup, which makes them prone to understeer. The frustrating part is that there's no way of fixing this without installing upgraded suspension parts, which you can't do at car level 1. If the Anti Geometry setting can fix this it would be great!

Well, Forza Motorsport won the racing/sports and accessibility categories at the Game Awards. Congratulations!
Accessibility is well earned.

I bet the FM.net forums are delighted the game got best Sports/Racing though 😅

I thought The Crew Motorfest would get it, it’s got that jury-pleasing vibe to it.

F1 23 is the best F1 game in years, but as an annual release I can see how juries would dismiss it as an iterative update.

Last edited:
As stated, competition wasn't exactly strong, but what worries me is they winning this make them feel at ease with the product they currently have, with a mindset of 'well, we made the best racing game of the year, that means something!'...imagine they instead lost against any of those nominees, that would have been a real wake up call, if more are even needed at this point.

We'll see...I hope at least they don't brag about it 'FM23 has earned an award that shows how fine of a game this is, pure prestige and excellence in game-making!'

As stated, competition wasn't exactly strong, but what worries me is they winning this make them feel at ease with the product they currently have, with a mindset of 'well, we made the best racing game of the year, that means something!'...imagine they instead lost against any of those nominees, that would have been a real wake up call, if more are even needed at this point.

We'll see...I hope at least they don't brag about it 'FM23 has earned an award that shows how fine of a game this is, pure prestige and excellence in game-making!'
I doubt that since we, the true players are still blasting them and on a daily listing and throwing out the fixes they need to make. Plus the game is only 2 months old which is still extremely early for a game that may get support for at least the next 3 years +. Best believe they will keep making fixes, adjustments, changes to make sure this title will still be playable and we are more satisfied than we are now.

Anyone got any interesting choices for the R series lobbies? I've been using the Audi TT RS race car and it's a lot of fun, only got it to level 18 so far so not quite meeting the PI cap, it's not particularly competitive, but have now got it up to 893 so interesting to see how it fares.
Just took it out on RA and it's lack of speed ruined me, but it handles much better than all the supercars everyone else is rocking, I did have a moment when I plowed into a Porsche because I was taking the kink flat-out on the back straight but the Porsche had to heavily brake, but at the time was sitting in 5th after starting 13th so wasn't doing too badly.

Could someone please explain to me what this is all about? Some new cars randomly get added to the game?

Has the Aston V12 Vantage S '13 beendet added together with the T50?
They add new cars every week or so as part of the featured series on the Builder's cup. Last week it was the Vantage, this week it's the T50.

It went up against F1 23, EA Sports FC 24, Hot Wheels 2, & The Crew Motorfest. I think it was pretty much guaranteed just as the biggest/well known racing title there.
As others have stated, the whole category was just filled with mediocrity across the board, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really mean a whole lot.

I do think they deserve the nod for accessibility though; I believe options to make games more accessible for blind players are necessary to push the medium forward from a UX perspective.

Even though awards shows like these are meaningless spectacles at best, I hope that the attention rightfully given to Baldur’s Gate sends the message that deep, polished, open-concept and offline single-player modes still matter even with competent multiplayer.

I did 20 laps in the T.50 on Yas Marina last night, and another 7 on Catalunya because it's one of the best driving cars ever. There isn't a lot of fancy electronic tech, there's no hybrid, no electric motors, no torque vectoring and no 4 wheel drive, so the experience isn't diluted in any way. You are in full control of the car and it responds exactly as you expect it to, inspiring a level of confidence that few cars can hope of matching. The light weight and the ground effect combine to create a ruthlessly efficient package which never feels intimidating. You barely have to think about what you're doing because the car just does it. The feedback is instant, everything is balanced and you can trust the car through each turn, which is more than can be said for stuff like the Lotus Evija and Koenigsegg Jesko. The T.50 proves that less really is more when it comes to creating a driver-focused supercar.
Please come teach me how to drive the stock thing! 🤣

I don't know if it's been talked about in here or another thread but just wanted to throw out some tuning information.
Under the tab Suspension Geometry. Get rid of that Anti Geometry crap. Turn it to zero (or as close to zero as you can get it) and test the cars. It gets rid of the understeery mess that a lot of cars have. Makes them more lively. It seems to be setup to make the cars understeer and easier to use, maybe for controller? I don't know but you get your steering back. Especially more useful on the stock tires which I find actually usable now. Why they put these fake suspension settings in here, I have no clue. Seems like an overall blanket setting to make a car behave a certain way without doing it the right way with actual car components tuning.
I tried this with some of my builds and it does seem to make a difference for the better.I dont know exactly what it does so ive never altered it,but after messing around with it for a while all seems good.

It’s a big console franchise and did review “generally favorable” on metacritic. Reviewers play for like an hour and gush over graphics. The real players know how the game actually is.
Exactly, award shows are just popularity contests anyway. But BG3 winning was very well deserved!

About Forza winning best racing game in TGA

Most of community will try take a dab on Forza, but this is actually a showcase of actual state of racing game genre overall

Racing games are becoming more and more niche, they arent even the graphical showcase it once was, since other games are becoming better on it, just look to the trailer of Kojima´s OD Experimental Game and you will see what i mean.

Its time for the racing game bubble stop feeding itself by nostalgia and support games that try something new, even if the results arent great as it seems at first, stop begging for insert some mid-to-late 2000s game get a remake or something similar, work or support in projects that work on new game features

Baldur's Gate 3 is a success EXACTLY beacuse it was so great and inovative for classic RPG that bursted the bubble expetacullary, imagine it for racing games, it would be historic for me, and is totally possible if we innovate

The thing that comes first on my mind first was that video talking about the current state of racing games, showing a part that we have lot of concepts for racing games and showing that cool space game with 80s cars

But why you think that they dont do it? that really should be tried, Right? but nobody tries beacuse would annoy the community or even worst (CarPG anyone?). anything that isnt in preference of racing game bubble is shuned, as much cool it looks like, so they end up trying the common denominator

Does Forza deserved? no, but this is what happens when you have no games that innovate and burst the bubble, the general public ends up knowing racing games only by the historic names (in this case Forza) and the games that did something in average level (in this case Motorsport), it wont change until something really good comes out but it wont happen until racing game fans stop using their nostalgia glasses and start working and promotting projects that can push the genre foward.

Side Note: aceessibility was deserved, they maneged make a blind person drive a car, it was basically the coolest thing i saw in game this year, totally deserved and wouldnt like if someone else had won it

Last edited:
I think the main reason circuit racing games are more niche than ever is because open world driving games are so expansive and fun these days.

In my opinion Forza Horizon 5 is a MUCH more relevant game for a modern audience, and it gets the vast audiences it deserves. It also tends to look better, despite using some older tech for the visuals. I see no problem whatsoever with FH6 being given much more budget and QA support than FM23 got, because it will no doubt be much more appealing to audiences (and to me personally as well).

I think the main reason circuit racing games are more niche than ever is because open world driving games are so expansive and fun these days.
Even open world racing games are like this or did we forgot that the people that now are mostly assuming that should had won is mostly and heavly based in Forza Horizon?

We need racing games overal to innovate, i am sure that closed-circuit racing games can do it, they can burst the bubble and provide fun to everyone if devs know how innovate

I think it's a challenge. The serious sim racing community in general is very closed and full of criticism of the 'different'. And casual players want something they can get into without putting in large amounts of time, which is exactly where Forza Horizon does so well in it's current formula.

Innovation usually involves adding new features at the cost of old ones (due to limited dev time/budget), but the sim racing community seems to have trouble accepting the trade-off. And besides, circuit or rally racing games in general struggle to do anything more than offer cars, tracks and driving physics with some limited campaign mode included.

I mean, let's take a few examples of recent innovation:
  • GRiD Legends has a comprehensive career mode with video and a storyline. Yet very few on GTPlanet was even talking about it, let alone playing it.
  • EA WRC has a career mode where you have to choose between events each week like a real racing driver, but I've seen more people complain about it than praise it.
  • The we have The Crew Motorfest, which seemed to offer innovative ideas with integrating their career elements into their large map, but the devs struggled with grindy player engagement ideas to keep players playing and from what I've seen this put many people off.
  • TDU Solar Crown is next to release, again with some more innovation in the areas of car simulation. Will it work, or will they be so busy with their innovation that they screw up some of the basics, like Motorfest seems to have done?

So yeah, I can guarantee that FH6 will be an iterative step forwards from FH5 but nothing major will change. They will probably flesh out Eventlab even more while building a big new map and updating the graphics a bit. And it will no doubt win awards against all comers as a result.

I don't really see how you innovate much on sim racers, apart from get more realistic and have an engaging campaign full of various different events and mix things up (see old GT and Forza games). Obviously devs have much more imaginative people than myself to work that out but I think it's just really tough as circuit based racing games just kind of are what they are, they just have to NAIL it and to me the latest GT and Forza games have fallen flat

I don't really see how you innovate much on sim racers, apart from get more realistic and have an engaging campaign full of various different events and mix things up (see old GT and Forza games). Obviously devs have much more imaginative people than myself to work that out but I think it's just really tough as circuit based racing games just kind of are what they are, they just have to NAIL it and to me the latest GT and Forza games have fallen flat
For a simracer, spending time on developing CarPG instead of trying to improve physics realism is a waste of time. It's a perfect example of innovation to try and find a new audience but results in disappointing an existing audience.

But let's be honest, GT and FM have both never aimed at the serious sim racers, because both Sony and Microsoft need their marque driving games to be pretty, accessible and playable on the console controller first and foremost. None of these things matters in the slightest to PC sim racers with their sim rigs.

Side Note: aceessibility was deserved, they maneged make a blind person drive a car, it was basically the coolest thing i saw in game this year, totally deserved and wouldnt like if someone else had won it

I confess to not understanding how a blind person can enjoy a driving game - and I think I'd say the same thing if I was blind too so I'm not just being mean here. Wouldn't it be like a deaf person listening to music? The music plays but they can't hear it, so... it's pointless? I don't get it.

I confess to not understanding how a blind person can enjoy a driving game - and I think I'd say the same thing if I was blind too so I'm not just being mean here. Wouldn't it be like a deaf person listening to music? The music plays but they can't hear it, so... it's pointless? I don't get it.
Think about listening to a sporting event on the radio.

Interesting. I will try this out later today!

I've found that most cars have their front anti-roll bars set super stiff in the stock setup, which makes them prone to understeer. The frustrating part is that there's no way of fixing this without installing upgraded suspension parts, which you can't do at car level 1. If the Anti Geometry setting can fix this it would be great!
Like you said though, the "suspension geometry" settings aren't immediately available on all cars and are locked too. But the ones I've tried so far, each time I've set them to zero, I had better/lower times and the feeling of the car came back a bit. It's not game changing settings but there is a difference in there.
Ok I found the solution to my stuttering on PC. It was ****ing DLSS. The game runs BETTER in native 4k than any DLSS mode. I have never seen such a borked PC game in many years lol
Right. I just don't use DLSS. It doesn't seem to be working anyways. At all. Technically, your supposed to keep your settings at the native 4k and the DLSS is supposed to downscale and rescale for you automatically. However, I've found no gains and even problems like you have in even using it. And I agree with you that I've never experienced a game to come out on PC with so many issues as well. It's frustrating. Right now, I get between 65 - 80 FPS. That's my swing and it can drop below 65 even. As long as it stays at least somewhat stable, I don't get headaches from playing this stutterfest. lol

Back