Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 13,350 comments
Most games will use the TAA for its cost-benefit. Digital Foundry made a video about it.

I've still never understood why we can't just lag behind a few years in graphics to get a full quality native image. If a 2024 game looked nice and crisp but graphically looked like something from 2018, is that the end of the world? Pushing graphics too hard with the knowledge that TAA will smear it up later is one of the worst parts of gaming right now, especially for racing games where motion clarity is so important.

I did extensive testing of FH5 between DLAA, TAA and MSAA.

On my PC the frame rate of MSAA 4x is almost identical to TAA, with DLAA and MSAA 8x a few fps worse. Now that's the previous engine, so I have no idea if MSAA would be less optimised should they bring it to FM23, but to my eyes MSAA 4x gives a decent image with some jaggies on horizontal/vertical lines. It's great at diagonal lines, though, which is a weaker spot for TAA.

In FH5 on PC I prefer to keep MSAA 4x for the crisp image, and accept the odd jaggies on things like the top edge of road barriers and somewhat messy trees. It's also aligned with 4x on the Series X, for that matter.

Funny, because TAA to me makes the game look 360p. The clarity increase with it off is unbelievable.
Here's what it looks like on my system:
fm taa comparison.jpg

It's horribly pixelated with TAA off, and looks way way worse than the static image when moving, just constant flickering/shimmering of that pixelated information.

The Mondial is such a fun car to drive, esp in the cockpit view but *sadly it loses its exhaust pop sample when racing against the AI (they keep theirs) and if you look at the cockpit in the showroom it's shocking, there's glitching around each component. (Hell, even the steering wheel shadow in-game has spikes.) Sums up FM for me, there's fun to be had but it's often marred by poor execution.
*Edit - Must have just been a bug last night, as it's working today.
6.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up another pair of baby GT car liveries for the Ginetta.

Went for the DBR9 we had in previous Forzas, and the 2013 Dodge SRT Viper.

Ginetta DBR91.jpgGinetta DBR92.jpg
Ginetta SRT GTS-R1.jpgGinetta SRT GTS-R2.jpg

Not intended to be 100% accurate of course.

Unsure what to make next. The multicolor Marcos LM600, Fina Callaway C4 Corvette, or Aspen Knowles Callaway C12-R don't seem recognizable enough. The TVR 400R with the DeWalt livery seems very difficult to make the saw/drill on. Could do a Gulf Aston Vantage since I've already got a bunch of Aston related decals made but if I never see another Gulf livery it would be to soon so nah. Rothmans Porsche 924 might look nice, but accurate Rothmans Racing cursive logo would be a massive pain, and knowing Turn 10, would get banned for KKK Turbolader logo. A little Shelby Daytona coupe would be easy, but maybe boring?

I hope this TAA option is available on console (especially on Xbox Series X) on the next update, so I can turn it off. When it's on, it makes the game look like Automodellista.

Last edited:
I put TAA back on. TAA off does look a lot sharper at 4k for me and I got a nice performance boost but there was a lot of glimmering and jaggies. At higher resolutions I think it's better on.

Last edited:
As i stands now, one thing they should work on immediately is the AIs vindictiveness, to you and among themselves. If you beat them on the outside of the corner, we can't simply have them trying to out speed you coming out, which usually results in them ramming into you. And on the other hand, if you beat them on the inside, we can't have them trying to overtake you immediately, which usually results in them going wide and out. And this conduct seems to be baked in, instead of learned.

Last edited:
It has a much more natural look now
Previously, even after the patch that adjusted the base gamma levels, it still looked a little washed-out, but the extra contrast really does make the game look so much better
I particularly like how the shadows are actually dark instead of just grey

The game looks incredible now, the only thing I think that needs a little more work/attention is the rain. (Every aspect of it, raindrops on the windshield, reflections in the track, puddles, etc) I dont know why they didnt slap in what they did on FM6 in terms of rain physics or even FM7's rain. Somehow they made it worse with FM8. Considering that FM8 has the most "advanced driving physics" out there, its kinda weird.

Last edited:
I was out of town all week so I tried to get caught up today. As relaxed as the Watkins Glen race was, the Road America one was totally opposite. The AI in the Group C race was demon possessed. At Watkins Glen they just hung back there and would drop back to 2 seconds then occasionally come up to .09 seconds but they never threatened to overtake. But At Road America I got nudged several times from the rear on the two straights. Also the segment scoring seemed to be low for some reason. I thought I nailed the kink just about every lap but I think the highest score I got was 6.8.

Apart from the dodgy AI, I had a couple of questionable overtakes which punted me off,the endurance races were pretty good. Due to the length of the races there was time to make up places after my offs but I only managed 3rd on Road America as a result. I pitted just over halfway on the races for fuel and tyres, the pit menu could be a little simpler for me but I enjoyed them all the same.
The usual crowd are unhappy over on FM.net, complaining about no endurance races and now some are complaining about them, but they are what they are over there.lol The game has its issues but it gets tiring reading the same drivel over and over. 👍

Any difference in performance other than jaggies?
Just ran the benchmark a few times (7800X3D+4080):
1) TAA On, High Quality, 1440p, RT Off, Resolution Scale 100% - 175fps
2) Same as 1 but TAA Off - 182fps
3) Same as 2 but Resolution Scale 200% - 101fps and still worse aliasing than 1
4) Same as 2 but DLAA on - 170fps, still some aliasing but this could be a viable option to have similar framerate to 1, gaining clarity and accepting some increase in aliasing that is mitigated by DLAA.

Are you running DLSS permanently? I thought DLAA in this game would only work on top of DLSS?

If so, have you tried running the game with DLSS disabled, TAA off and resolution scale increased?

Just ran the benchmark a few times (7800X3D+4080):
1) TAA On, High Quality, 1440p, RT Off, Resolution Scale 100% - 175fps
2) Same as 1 but TAA Off - 182fps
3) Same as 2 but Resolution Scale 200% - 101fps and still worse aliasing than 1
4) Same as 2 but DLAA on - 170fps, still some aliasing but this could be a viable option to have similar framerate to 1, gaining clarity and accepting some increase in aliasing that is mitigated by DLAA.
I'm curious if you notice a difference with the FPS so high. For me, the game runs like complete crap when I run anything over the locked 60fps. Frame timing is all over the place and the game is almost unplayable. I have zero issues with graphics or FPS drops when I lock it at 60. I'm on a 4090 with triple 1440p monitors. I'm forced to run at 60 when I race online, so it doesn't bother me anyway. I'm just curious if it's stable for you at very high framerates.

I don't have triples, but a G-Sync monitor and the game runs silky smooth no matter what frame rate I hit. With unlocked+vsync mode used. I tuned it on my RTX3070 to hit around 80fps, but it moves up and down by 10fps depending on the object density - however with G-Sync you basically don't notice a thing.

As for whether 80-90fps beats 60fps. Good question. A locked 60fps is plenty smooth for driving games, whereas stutter and unstable frame rates are the most unpleasant even if higher than 60fps. I'd say 90fps is a little smoother than 60fps, but G-Sync masks this pretty well.

I don't have triples, but a G-Sync monitor and the game runs silky smooth no matter what frame rate I hit. With unlocked+vsync mode used. I tuned it on my RTX3070 to hit around 80fps, but it moves up and down by 10fps depending on the object density - however with G-Sync you basically don't notice a thing.

As for whether 80-90fps beats 60fps. Good question. A locked 60fps is plenty smooth for driving games, whereas stutter and unstable frame rates are the most unpleasant even if higher than 60fps. I'd say 90fps is a little smoother than 60fps, but G-Sync masks this pretty well.
I have a feeling it's my triple monitor setup. I have to run them in Nvidia Surround for Forza to notice the native resolution. A lot of games aren't optimized for this, which is why I hope one day they actually support each monitor as it's own with the combined resolution. I don't even think G-Sync is supported in Surround mode, and it's their own technology....

I'll have to take a video of how bad my performance is when I'm unlocked. It will bounce from 175 down to 90.

Last edited:
I personally gained around 15/20 FPS. Which was nice but in the end turned TAA back on because the game did lose it's smooth look.
Understandable. I probably wont mind the roughness. I'm trying to have the game locked at 75fps. Its tough to do, even at medium 1080 settings.

I'm curious if you notice a difference with the FPS so high. For me, the game runs like complete crap when I run anything over the locked 60fps. Frame timing is all over the place and the game is almost unplayable. I have zero issues with graphics or FPS drops when I lock it at 60. I'm on a 4090 with triple 1440p monitors. I'm forced to run at 60 when I race online, so it doesn't bother me anyway. I'm just curious if it's stable for you at very high framerates.
With g-sync on, I set my monitor refresh rate to 144hz, the game to unlocked(vsync), and it runs smooth. It's not so much the smoothness that is better at 144 than 60, what I really notice is the better motion clarity.

So today I got my first “featured” reward car (Porsche 935), and I cannot believe how many events I had to clear in order to earn it. It’s somewhat exhausting compared to Forza Horizon’s seasonal playlists.

Last edited:
Back