Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 13,337 comments
@McLaren Some of the championship races I struggle with, it seems that whichever car I use sometimes the AI just disappear into the distance. Guess I need to`git gud`or whatever it is they say.
The difference with the time gated races in FM and FH5 weekly challenges, the FM races you are guaranteed to win the car at the end of the tour as long as you finish the races.

@McLaren Some of the championship races I struggle with, it seems that whichever car I use sometimes the AI just disappear into the distance. Guess I need to`git gud`or whatever it is they say.
The difference with the time gated races in FM and FH5 weekly challenges, the FM races you are guaranteed to win the car at the end of the tour as long as you finish the races.
I hope you're not insinuating that's what I'm saying.

The reason I say throw it on the easiest difficulty is so the AI doesn't hamper you in any way and you can turn the events into just hot lap sessions, esp. if you're waiting until the final week when all the events are open to get the reward car.

They’re still nothing compared to Horizon’s which is weekly & have a multitude of events to clear the needed points to get the first car.
Getting just the monthly reward car in the Featured Tour takes considerably longer than getting 4x 20-point cars and 1x 80 point car in FH5.

FM23:
Monthly reward = 4 series of 4 races each. Average length of race is ~8 minutes, with loading times. So each series is around 40 minutes in total if you skip practice. That means 2 hours and 40 minutes simply to complete the Featured Tour.

But wait, you also have to race the Open Tour in FM23. That's shorter, let's say 4x4 races of ~5 minutes. Which totals 110 minutes or so including loading time. That's a bit under 2 more hours.

FH5:
In comparison, 20 points per season in FH5 is usually done with rivals, tour, eventlabs, photo challenge and some PR stunts. Takes around 30 minutes, but could easily be less depending on your luck with the tour and the exact other events. Do this once a week, total time to win 4x 20 point cars and 1x 80 point car is therefore around 2 hours.

Occasionally we've had 8-9 reward cars in a month in FH5, which definitely increases time played because you need 40 points per week. In that case I'd estimate probably around 5 hours total, maybe a little less.

So I'm calling it around 5 hours per month to complete the Featured and Open tours in FM23 and earn the 2 reward cars.
Compared to roughly 2 hours for the 5 typical cars in FH5, or roughly 5 hours for an 8/9 car season.

Yeah, FM23's time taken versus rewards given (2 cars versus 5, 8 or 9 cars) is definitely not better than FH5's.

Last edited:
Yeah, FM23's time taken versus rewards given (2 cars versus 5, 8 or 9 cars) is definitely not better than FH5's.
Time taken does not dictate how tedious the 2 franchises' approach are to getting reward cars.

FM23 may take longer, but it's infinitely easier b/c it's as straight forward as it gets (complete the series regardless of finishing position) & you can "cheese" it by turning the difficulty all the way down. FH5 does not work this way; points are not rewarded for simply participating & the difficulty of the events varies b/c they're set to a minimum.

Time taken does not dictate how tedious the 2 franchises' approach are to getting reward cars.

FM23 may take longer, but it's infinitely easier b/c it's as straight forward as it gets (complete the series regardless of finishing position) & you can "cheese" it by turning the difficulty all the way down. FH5 does not work this way; points are not rewarded for simply participating & the difficulty of the events varies b/c they're set to a minimum.
I guess there are some people who would struggle to complete seasonal championships which are fixed at difficulty 5/8. I did at first when I switched to using a controller.

But I guess we'll just disagree on tedium: Recently I've been finding the FM23 Tours rather more tedious than FH5's challenges. But at this point I'm good enough with a controller to usually win the Tour races I'm in, and comfortably complete everything else at the first attempt too.

I guess there are some people who would struggle to complete seasonal championships which are fixed at difficulty 5/8. I did at first when I switched to using a controller.

But I guess we'll just disagree on tedium: Recently I've been finding the FM23 Tours rather more tedious than FH5's challenges. But at this point I'm good enough with a controller to usually win the Tour races I'm in, and comfortably complete everything else at the first attempt too.
Whether one struggles or not doesn't really change it for me. I beat FM23's series at Level 6 or higher depending on the car just as I beat FH5's as they're set.

The point is FM will just hand you the reward car & FH5 doesn't, which is why I find the initial comment I responded to of "FM23 being exhausting compared to FH5" as a humorous comparison. The Trial can be exhausting on its own if you get paired with teammates who don't understand we're not opponents.

I'll have to agree with @McLaren regarding this matter. While I do strongly dislike the FOMO-events in both FH5 and FM '23 I find them more tolerable in FM '23.

The reason for this is that I find the handling model so much more enjoyable in FM.
Having a whole month compared to just one week also gives more a bit more leeway of when you want to play.
The AI isn't as rubberbandy in FM either. In some cross country events in FH5 it can be very hard to win because the leader is almost uncatcheable.
And don't get me started on the trials events where your team mates often crash out each other instead of working as a team, so you have to do the tournament several times before you defeat the AI-team.

This is ofc just my personal opinion, but until FH6 launches I'm done with Forza Horizon.

I hope you're not insinuating that's what I'm saying.

The reason I say throw it on the easiest difficulty is so the AI doesn't hamper you in any way and you can turn the events into just hot lap sessions, esp. if you're waiting until the final week when all the events are open to get the reward car.
No no no mate, not at all. It a phrase that was banded around some time ago, sorry if it came over like that but not directed at you at all.
I quite enjoy the featured tours as it doesnt matter where you place you still get the reward car.The only way you cant get the car is by not entering and finishing the races.
FH5 is a mix of event labs and different challenges but also championship races, with a fixed difficulty level, which you must finish on top to get the points towards the reward cars.Like I said I struggle with some of the FH5 races. Fortunately for me a lot of the 40 point cars are older cars which I already have.👍

On PC I will be switching from a Radeon 8GB card to an Nvidia 12GB card soon (it arrived today but couldn't install it due to work and stuff). While I was able to get ray tracing reflections on the cars in 1080p at 80-100 fps with custom settings with the RX 6650XT, I really want to see what the RTX 4070 super can do with that.

Update: Ok, so after installing the card last night now I'm playing FM with higher settings and full RT+RTAO with Ultra Quality DLSS (using DLAA), and while I'm probably about 25% faster (or more) than with my previous card, I think that playing at 1080p significantly limits the graphical potential of the game... So now I'm eyeing a switch to a larger 1440p monitor.

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with @McLaren regarding this matter. While I do strongly dislike the FOMO-events in both FH5 and FM '23 I find them more tolerable in FM '23.

The reason for this is that I find the handling model so much more enjoyable in FM.
Having a whole month compared to just one week also gives more a bit more leeway of when you want to play.
The AI isn't as rubberbandy in FM either. In some cross country events in FH5 it can be very hard to win because the leader is almost uncatcheable.
And don't get me started on the trials events where your team mates often crash out each other instead of working as a team, so you have to do the tournament several times before you defeat the AI-team.

This is ofc just my personal opinion, but until FH6 launches I'm done with Forza Horizon.
My problem with FH5's approach is that due to the staggering number of loops/event types/etc on the FH5 map I often find it impossible to actually get to the events I'm supposed to complete to get the requisite points in the first place. In fact I don't think I've ever claimed one of the FH5 FOMO cars for this reason alone, whereas in FM I'm quite enjoying how straightforward the process is.

Is anyone else on PC having a problem with your cursor not moving smoothly on the screen? When I'm in the game I'm having trouble putting the cursor where I want it. Physically moving the mouse doesn't move the cursor on screen then it will skip around. But once I'm out of the game the cursor moves normally again.

So today I got my first “featured” reward car (Porsche 935), and I cannot believe how many events I had to clear in order to earn it. It’s somewhat exhausting compared to Forza Horizon’s seasonal playlists.
I find them really tedious too, so what I do is just turn on all the auto-driving assists and let the AI drive them for me while I cook dinner or watch YouTube or whatever. You don't have to win them or anything, just complete them, so it doesn't matter how dumb the AI is or if they wreck or whatever.

If you are the type of person who is bothered by not getting gold medals in those kinds of things (I am sometimes), it's not even an issue because all the "Featured" events will disappear after a month so you won't have to see all the 6th places your AI earned.

I generally hate doing this in most racing games because I like a challenge, but I made an exception yesterday for the Road America Endurance race. It took me 5 attempts because I typically run simulation rules (tire wear, no rewind etc). Halfway through the race (AI level 6) I would get slammed into, causing critical damage. No penalty on the AI driver. I finally said screw it and lowered difficulty to 3 and turned on rewind. I had to use rewind twice on the 5th attempt because the back markers don't seem to care when you're passing them and just run into you. This is the first endurance race I did not enjoy at all.

I generally hate doing this in most racing games because I like a challenge, but I made an exception yesterday for the Road America Endurance race. It took me 5 attempts because I typically run simulation rules (tire wear, no rewind etc). Halfway through the race (AI level 6) I would get slammed into, causing critical damage. No penalty on the AI driver. I finally said screw it and lowered difficulty to 3 and turned on rewind. I had to use rewind twice on the 5th attempt because the back markers don't seem to care when you're passing them and just run into you. This is the first endurance race I did not enjoy at all.
I typically don't like to run with the rewinds on, since I think it breaks the immersion. My opinion is also that you train your racecraft better id you don't use it. But I find it almost impossible to run the single player events without the rewinds on. The AI makes the dumbest moves sometimes and although the brake checking problem and turn 1 behaviour is better now, it is far from fixed. Having to constantly restart races because of mistakes from the AI just grinds my gears too much.

Change of topic: Friendly reminder to those of you who haven't given feedback regarding update 8. Please do so before the poll closes in 3 days time. I saw that it's still less than 200 people that've voted. If we don't give feedback things will never improve.

Is anyone else on PC having a problem with your cursor not moving smoothly on the screen? When I'm in the game I'm having trouble putting the cursor where I want it. Physically moving the mouse doesn't move the cursor on screen then it will skip around. But once I'm out of the game the cursor moves normally again.
Are you accidentally not running in full screen mode? I have issues like that when I'm in windowed mode.

No it's on full screen mode. It starts off normal but as I play more is when it starts going crazy.
sounds like a VRAM issue then. Try adjusting PC settings to reduce VRAM utilisation by turning a few things down. Run a benchmark to check how much VRAM is being used in the benchmark test.

Some updates have adjusted VRAM use, for example the highest car decals setting became a LOT more VRAM intensive in one update a while back.

No it's on full screen mode. It starts off normal but as I play more is when it starts going crazy.
I would also make sure it’s not memory leak. Forza 7 gave me a lot of memory leak issues. Check your ram usage in task manager when you start seeing the issue.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 212904.png

What was the point with this? Have I missed something that is supposed to be obvious here? 1:38 in the dry and then 2:15's or more in the rain and finished nearly 3 laps down. All of the AI's pitted at about lap 6. Did they get wet tires? I didn't think they were allowed to do that if I had not chosen pit stops and tire wear as a rule set. I thought we were supposed to play by the same rules.

I had a feeling something was going to be different about this race when it was letting you pick between both A and S cars. I don't think it's ever done that before. And of course I picked an A car and a new A car at that because I already owned a Civic racing car and two other S class that would have been ok. But no I had to go spend money on something else. Don't get me wrong the Hyundai Veloster TCR is a nice car and I look forward to using it. But it could have waited. Especially if I had known what was coming.

Last edited:
I'm also finding the time gated events in Motorsport and Horizon tedious. Yes, the good thing in Motorsport you just need to complete the championship, whether 1st or 24th. However, it's simply annoying, all just for the sake of not having to spend an exorbitant sum in the Auction House later where Horizon is concerned.
I'd hate to think if someone had a family and busy home life, how they would find time.

I'm also finding the time gated events in Motorsport and Horizon tedious. Yes, the good thing in Motorsport you just need to complete the championship, whether 1st or 24th. However, it's simply annoying, all just for the sake of not having to spend an exorbitant sum in the Auction House later where Horizon is concerned.
I'd hate to think if someone had a family and busy home life, how they would find time.
The cadence of events in FM isn't that bad though is it? I mean I'm a fulltime worker, parent and handle the dinner/cooking duties pretty much straight after I get home from work (as well as my fair share of other domestic duties/parenting obligations) and I still find plenty of time to complete the races, to say nothing of playing other games, getting out for exercise etc.

Change of topic: Friendly reminder to those of you who haven't given feedback regarding update 8. Please do so before the poll closes in 3 days time. I saw that it's still less than 200 people that've voted. If we don't give feedback things will never improve.

Added my tuppen'worth to the survey, but what surprised me was the overwhelming looking of the slower cars, such as the Ginetta Junior and MX-5 spec series - it's almost as if people want to be able to race in very close but underpowered cars instead of spending most of their time wrestling and avoiding spinning.

What was the point with this? Have I missed something that is supposed to be obvious here? 1:38 in the dry and then 2:15's or more in the rain and finished nearly 3 laps down. All of the AI's pitted at about lap 6. Did they get wet tires? I didn't think they were allowed to do that if I had not chosen pit stops and tire wear as a rule set.

I had the same issue playing casual club rules for the weekly chores. I haven't seen this problem in other wet weekly races. It's possible they didn't have the right settings for all the rule sets. We'll see if Turn 10 has an explanation.

I had the same issue playing casual club rules for the weekly chores. I haven't seen this problem in other wet weekly races. It's possible they didn't have the right settings for all the rule sets. We'll see if Turn 10 has an explanation.
Yeah something has to be wrong. Do race cars automatically have wet tires available and you don't have to buy them? Of course I've never performed a pit stop so that would be another issue. I might try to go back and redo that race and when they all pit, just follow them in and see what happens.

Do you just enter the lane and everything automatically happens or do you have to assign buttons to do certain things? I think I want to try it again just like the first time and not go in and change the rule set unless I have to.

The Brands Hatcht race was interesting. The rain got so bad I had to pit for Rain Tyres (Lap 17 but maybe before would have been sensible), This would have been fine had the AI not decided to knock me away from the Pit Entry so that I missed it. Being somewhat annoyed by this tactic I did a U-Turn and drove back to the entry to get my tyres as 18 seconds a lap wasn’t a good state of affairs! I soldiered on some 8 seconds a lap slower than my best. The joys of gaming!! At least Kyalami was dry…

Yeah something has to be wrong. Do race cars automatically have wet tires available and you don't have to buy them? Of course I've never performed a pit stop so that would be another issue. I might try to go back and redo that race and when they all pit, just follow them in and see what happens.

Do you just enter the lane and everything automatically happens or do you have to assign buttons to do certain things? I think I want to try it again just like the first time and not go in and change the rule set unless I have to.
Race tires come with wets as one of the compounds along with soft/med/hards, so yeah they all pitted for wets. Just because you turned off tire wear doesn't mean the pits don't work or you can't change compounds.

The PI/classes aren't a problem, all the BTCC/TCR cars come in around upper A or lower S so it's not like any of them have any extreme/wacky upgrades to be in that range.

The pit menu doesn't require anything to be assigned, you just drive in and a menu pops up asking which tires you want, then it will ask you how much fuel you want, then (if you have any) it will ask if you want to repair damage. While playing in single player, if you don't make your selections by the time your car drives to the pit box, then the game will automatically freeze time while you make your choices. If it worries you that much you can just make a Free Play event in "Test Drive" mode and you can drive in the pits just the same then to get a feel for it, but it's nothing daunting.

You really want to avoid making a pit stop so much that you would sit around for 50+ minutes trying the same thing that didn't work before over again?

It's late/early and I'm tired, so sorry if this is lacking tact as I don't intend for it to sound condescending, but I find it kinda amazing someone has played a racing game for 9 months (or whatever it has been now) and never tried to drive into the pit lane. I mean I know the career is all 3-6 lap garbage where you never need to pit, but you can drive in for more fuel or to change tires in the practice mode for career events, and set up Free Play races that are longer. I dunno, there's no way I could drive past a pit entrance that many times without my curiosity getting the best of me, and hell I even tried reversing into the pit lane, driving into the wrong end of the pit lane, pushing AI into the pits all in the first like... 3 days of the game or something.

I thought the whole reason people wanted endurance races to be added to the career was for the pit stop strategy options that the other career events never offer. As someone who finds racing with the AI boring, figuring out the pit strategy options with tire compounds is really the only interesting/engaging/satisfying part of these races for me.

Back