Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,648 comments
I really must have blanked Sunset Peninsula from my mind because I didn't remember anything about it except maybe the banked part but I don't remember any of the infield portion. It's ok but I don't like fictional tracks to begin with.

The first races in the GT showed a PI limit of B max but in the race there were A level Camaros, why was that the case?

I actually did remember some of Sunset Peninsula, though of course it has been updated somewhat.

Could someone point my in the direction of the Mediterranean Drift Rivals event because I searched out the Rivals Menu Option and there was no sign of any Drift stuff.

I actually did remember some of Sunset Peninsula, though of course it has been updated somewhat.

Could someone point my in the direction of the Mediterranean Drift Rivals event because I searched out the Rivals Menu Option and there was no sign of any Drift stuff.
The Drift Rivals were causing a game crash so we've temporarily removed them. They'll be restored once that's fixed.

Don't know whether this has been noted elsewhere but it's pretty cool that the new Mustang has the GT3 Bodykit as a conversion option.
Building a makeshift version is the best way to wait for the actual Mustang GT3/GTD. Not to mention, it's gonna be a whole lot of fun as it would transform the 2024 Mustang GT into a cornering machine.

It’s good to see T10 finally getting this game to where it should’ve been at launch
Hopefully year 2 focuses on brand new content and further enhancing the overall experience

I'm pretty sure he's speaking in the context that FM23 is the first Forza released to fully utilize Game Pass for its own purposes.
First Motorsport, yes.

Forza Horizon 4 was the first major first party title designed to exploit Game Pass, its live service offering is far bigger in scope than Forza Horizon 3.

Serious question for you all. In hindsight, would it have been better to delay the original release of the game to address the many technical issues (and graphical broken promises) it launched with? Or the game is better now because from its original launch state there has been a real and steady effort to address the issues, which has included player's feedback?
I mean, if they had slapped an "early access" label on the game, I think most people would've been fine with how it launched. And since it's on Gamepass, it actually cost me way less than the average Steam EA.

I think the days of games releasing in a finished state are mostly over. Most developers are unable (or unwilling, which is understandable, because developers are companies that must make sound financial decisions) to shoulder the full costs of developing, testing, and refining a game before a launch that could go poorly and leave them tens of millions of dollars in the red.
On the other hand, player feedback has become a much louder voice in our era, dominated as it is by social media and streamers. Even if a game released in a well-polished state (and God knows how far Forza was from that threshold), people will find things to complain about; even a "perfect" game won't be "finished" at launch, because people fully expect to pay for a service as well as a product.

There's simply very little incentive to spend the time and resources to release a "finished" game. Sometimes you'll get a passion project that releases after 12 years of development and is mostly perfect on day one, but heh, that's the exception that proves the rule.

As for Forza, I'm overall happy with the improvements we've seen in the first year of the game; I guess we'll see where year two takes us.
The main issue right now is - as I predicted way back then - the dwindling player base. Forza Motorsport 4, which is often lauded as the "peak" of the Forza series, was in every aspect but one an inferior game to FM23, let alone the FM24 we're playing now: that aspect was its community, which had coalesced around FM2 and FM3 and made Forza more than just a Gran Turismo clone by leveraging its UGC and multiplayer functions. Forza Motorsport 5 (and, I suspect, the downfall of the fm.net forums, and of forums as a digitalized social space in general) was, in many ways, a watershed event that led to the dispersion of that original community.
Since then, Forza's player base has been steadily declining - a trend that's been often blamed on the quality of the games, as if the 360-era Forza games were paragons of polished and immersive gameplay (and I remember having a very different opinion way back then).
Forza Motorsport 7 seemed to reverse the trend a bit (no doubt also thanks to the momentum gathered through the esports craze, that seems to have largely subsided by now), but then the community had to wait six years for FM23. To tie back to the question on whether the game should have been delayed: as it is, it was a case of "too little, too late", a game that released to a mixed reception became the straw that broke the camel back. Would a year of improvements made it a better game that nobody ever played?
The question now is, can this decline be reversed? Could Forza, through a mix of reasoned improvements to its mechanics and new, eye-catching content additions, bring back some of the players that have left, attract new ones, and become a hub of socially-emergent gameplay again? I certainly hope so, but only time will tell, and T10 can only deliver on one side of the equation.

I think the days of games releasing in a finished state are mostly over. Most developers are unable (or unwilling, which is understandable, because developers are companies that must make sound financial decisions) to shoulder the full costs of developing, testing, and refining a game before a launch that could go poorly and leave them tens of millions of dollars in the red.
That's more the decision of publishers than developers. Publishers are the ones with the money, so they're the ones usually imposing unrealistic deadlines and expectations while withholding the funds needed to bring a game to a finished state. Most developers would rather have a launch date of "when it's done" and a budget that lets them make the game how they want it, but realistically that causes a whole other raft of problems (see Concord for the most recent example).

Back