General Model Kit Building Thread

Started on a Tamiya 2005 Subaru Impreza WRC for a friend of mine.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQq0fWjExqQPxI_B5u7VtjeVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURYeCxAIyOCdF5bTJ9iFgWaVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURu44QM8p-PhEoiterTmwa-Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

Got a little bit done... but it's a start.

Got started on the decals... Hope to start on the chassis and interior bits next week or so.

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUREzJn88MPuhikTclcbYShs5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUTNlO709Bc6NmJqIQa_BUIhV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSn_kEiL7DBGxyaw2xfx0nnUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQqBR_QWrB6W7s2mWL-mfM0aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

Thanks for looking in...
How did you go with the decals around the rear wheel arch/rear door?
I have seen reviews that claim it takes skill & lots of patience to get spot on.
Looks like you won in the end. It's coming along nicely. 👏

How did you go with the decals around the rear wheel arch/rear door?
I have seen reviews that claim it takes skill & lots of patience to get spot on.
Looks like you won in the end. It's coming along nicely. 👏
Nope, lost... the decals split. i worked them back together. They split on the middle stripe on both sides (even though I expected it on the 2nd one...). The decals are crap. These are not the Cartograph decals included with most Tamiya kits - why, I don't know??!!

It's not visible unless you're looking for it and look really close... I ordered another kit just in case, as well as a bunch of different yellow paints to see if I can touch it up. But we'll see - should be okay.

Thanks for the comment. And if you do this kit, declals #3 and #4 are the hardest. Make sure you take your time with those the most. After that, smooth sailing. OH!! And just remember, the decals are thin... like a Fujimi decal. :)

Nope, lost... the decals split. i worked them back together. They split on the middle stripe on both sides (even though I expected it on the 2nd one...). The decals are crap. These are not the Cartograph decals included with most Tamiya kits - why, I don't know??!!

It's not visible unless you're looking for it and look really close... I ordered another kit just in case, as well as a bunch of different yellow paints to see if I can touch it up. But we'll see - should be okay.

Thanks for the comment. And if you do this kit, declals #3 and #4 are the hardest. Make sure you take your time with those the most. After that, smooth sailing. OH!! And just remember, the decals are thin... like a Fujimi decal. :)
I've got the '99, '01 big eye, and this kit in the stash but am thinking of moving them on & thinking out the stash a little.

I've checked Scalemates.com to see what decal alternatives exist, and they're are two.
One that models 2005 Rally Japan by Shunko, and another that models Valentino Rossi's 2005 Monza Rally show ride by Blue Stuff.
Not sure who has them for sale but I know Shunko do their decals differently.
So much so that they give explicit instructions and will not refund if they're not followed.

As you say though, you'll have to look for the tears in the decals so I expect hundreds could look at the finished kit & not see them from being mesmerised by other details.

Back