Gran Turismo 7’s New Physics Are Not Entirely Going Well

• Thread starter Famine
  • 398 comments
I laughed so hard when this happened, it was perfect, like a literal rocket launch.

This was my second favorite moment. The Sambabus did a perfect kickflip lmao.

Soccer Win GIF by Football Australia

Car popcorn 🍿 :lol:
INORITE???

Logitech owners have the pitchforks out because FFB has been neutered for them. Fanatec owners are providing support and comfort lol. Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag tbh. I'm excited to get home and try out the update but I'm also deathly anxious too lol.
I am not the Lorax and I do not speak for the trees. That said, the tips from @LOGI_Rich allowed me to make very needed adjustments for my G923. My vibration strength is now set to about 90 when it was around 40 or so. Still quite a bit of testing to do, but it feels good for me so far. And that was while isolating my wheel from my bass shakers.

This does not change the fact that many many owners of wheels are not crazy about what happened with update 1.49
Yeah, I was anxious testing some of my custom tuned but none of them are excited like that.

Which probably means my own setup are correct lmao

View attachment 1375400
Loved the cartoon as a kid; enjoyed the movie as long as I kept my 7-year-old mind engaged.
The physics are ****. The wheel feels completely dead, no real connection to the car. So where is the weight transfer improved, when I can't feel it at all? SUPER difficult to slide and drift or to catches a slide. It so easily ends now in snap-oversteer and into the wall. What were they thinking?
For wheel issues, consider checking this thread for some help. While it's focused primarily on Logitech, some of the other wheels have been mentioned as well. Hopefully this helps you the way it helped me.

On the general physics, give yourself time to adjust. I'm still adjusting but I was able to improve my Spa Q time by about 3-4 tenths after just about 15 minutes. It's an adjustment to be sure, but you may want to experiment with several cars and courses before declaring the update a complete failure.
This is going to be the background music for my GT7 play sessions for the next few weeks 😂

I don't disagree with the song . . . only the source. While I acknowledge Frank's iconic rendition, this is where my mind normally goes:

We now go back to the GT7 Rocket Simulator already in progress . . .

I don't disagree with the song . . . only the source. While I acknowledge Frank's iconic rendition, this is where my mind normally goes:

We now go back to the GT7 Rocket Simulator already in progress . . .

To quote the top comment on the video I posted, "If I had a nickel for every time a japanese creative team used a version of Fly Me To The Moon in a work inspired by christian mythology I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice."

Evangelion is just gut punch after gut punch of a show... I don't have the balls to finish the series 😂

I think Bayo's version of the song works better for a racing game BGM... or well, it was a racing game. Now it's become Kazunori Space Program 🤣

This does not change the fact that many many owners of wheels are not crazy about what happened with update 1.49
First and foremost, I'm glad there was a solution that worked well for you. I'm mostly satisfied with how things feel on my DD Pro but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

There is something fundamentally flawed with PD's FFB development process and it's agitating that it's not being called out. All this funny physics stuff is great but the game is broken in other ways and has been broken for years/months. It needs to be called out more adamantly.

To quote the top comment on the video I posted, "If I had a nickel for every time a japanese creative team used a version of Fly Me To The Moon in a work inspired by christian mythology I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice."
Preach GIF

Evangelion is just gut punch after gut punch of a show... I don't have the balls to finish the series 😂
I hope one day you do finish the original series Neon Genesis Evangelion . . . but I'd recommend watching Re:Death as well as Air: The End of Evangelion rather than just stopping with the last couple of episodes of the series.

That reminds me - I have to make a shopping list for the dealer's room at Otakon . . . but I digress . . .
I think Bayo's version of the song works better for a racing game BGM... or well, it was a racing game. Now it's become Kazunori Space Program 🤣
LMAO!!!

What's next: Gunbuster? :lol:

I laughed so hard when this happened, it was perfect, like a literal rocket launch.

This was my second favorite moment. The Sambabus did a perfect kickflip lmao.

The most amazing part of this glitches to me (talking about the cliff) was to discover that 2D scapes are really modeled in 3D.
I always thought that they just were playing with perspective tricks over 2D pics.

So you should play shorter sessions and in between each session, you should take a 3-5 min. break at the City of Art and Sciences VR showroom.

View attachment 1375631

If you face the direction your car is facing, there is a building off in the distance with a sign on top of it displaying a company name which I can't recall at the moment. But if you focus your gaze on that sign for at least 2-3 minutes, it will both relax your vision and settle down any motion-sick nausea so you can go back in. I used a similar technique when I was playing Horizon Call of the Mountain and trained myself to do longer sessions without nausea.

I know you can also just wait for an update, but after seeing these videos I was already preparing myself for the motion sickness boost and this specific solution I discovered for GT7 VR.
I've been playing since about three months after release and playing in VR since that was released. I think they added more camera movement. Up til yesterday I was fine no matter how long I played. Fifteen laps of Eiger in one of the previous Gr B Subarus though, and I was ready to vomit. I ran the Bvlgari for the next race or two, no help there, so I took off the headset and finished the weekly challenges.
The very first thing I drove in VR was the Raptor. My daily driver is very similar to that, so it looked and felt natural. I drive the F-1500 T/A a lot as well. Very rarely the Raptor will make me sick if the suspension is set too loose. My F-150 is set up fairly tight and has 16 inch rims (as opposed to 15), so it doesn't roll or bounce much. If I get the Raptor even close to that, I'm good.
Yeah the snap oversteer is ridiculous, so unnatural. The physics were better before the patch
It's the Countersteer Assist. I think they turned it off. I ran with zero assistance for a couple months and this is exactly what happened with no Countersteer Assist. You can still brake hard at first but as your speed drops you need to let up. Less speed means less down force to keep the butt planted.

The most amazing part of this glitches to me (talking about the cliff) was to discover that 2D scapes are really modeled in 3D.
I always thought that they just were playing with perspective tricks over 2D pics.
I wouldn't be shocked if some of those assets will be utilized in GT8.

Okay, so I know we are having a lot of fun with the glitches, and it seems like most race cars still feel good. But, what is everyone's thoughts on road cars?

To me they feel like trash. There is a massive amount of oversteer for the handful of road cars I have tried, and no level of tuning fixes it (at a certain point the car starts to bounce and glitch). It feels like the in-game suspension got nerfed hard. I can't quite put my finger on how to address it yet, but it seems like racing slicks can't be used on some road cars (including some that are essentially meant for the track).

Okay, so I know we are having a lot of fun with the glitches, and it seems like most race cars still feel good. But, what is everyone's thoughts on road cars?

To me they feel like trash. There is a massive amount of oversteer for the handful of road cars I have tried, and no level of tuning fixes it (at a certain point the car starts to bounce and glitch). It feels like the in-game suspension got nerfed hard. I can't quite put my finger on how to address it yet, but it seems like racing slicks can't be used on some road cars (including some that are essentially meant for the track).
Must be those Michelin tires.
I feel ya though, it seems we're on ice. I think it has to do with the AI. That controls Countersteer Assist so itay be getting confused and putting the back out front.

Must be those Michelin tires.
I feel ya though, it seems we're on ice. I think it has to do with the AI. That controls Countersteer Assist so itay be getting confused and putting the back out front.
This comment gives me two thoughts.

The first is that I have all of my assists turned off except "weak" ABS, so I would think there isn't anything interfering with my inputs.

The second thought is that I might need to give it a try without ABS...Will run a few laps later to confirm.

I have a request/challenge for those of you taking advantage of this, for anyone who wants to partake in a little science:

Route X, the looping road that branches off just after the start. Can you use this to boost to it, and if so - does that road have proper collision, and if it does, does it continue into the tunnel it feeds into at all?

When I saw the headline and the thumbnail, I thought, "Sweet - a callback to the Suzuki Escudo from GT2 (or was it GT3?). Then I saw the car launching into orbit and almost did a spit take. SO funny.

Has not had any of those glitches so far while driving yet, have not tried much yet, but to me it feels like an improvment to what we had before,

The rally physics is so much better now, witch makes it far more enjoyable.

I always thought that they just were playing with perspective tricks over 2D pics
Reminds me of those old games like Resident Evil 1-3, with 3D navigation maps built over pre-rendered scenes. A most effective way of making use of the technology at the moment.

Another interesting quirk of the 3D model areas is that it's also used as reference for the reflection and lighting maps!

These new physics have made the game borderline unplayable. It seems like every car now has issues under braking, some seem to lock up the front wheels while others the rear steps out. All cars also seem to bobble around regardless of how smooth the track is and changing dampening, spring rates or ride height doesn’t really make a difference. The ffb is all messed up, there is no longer any weight transfer or loading feel in turns, the ffb just becomes super light like the front wheels are locked up or scrubbing which you used to be able to feel but now it’s just numb. Been playing around with the settings on my wheel and can’t get it to feel anything like it used to. The only thing that seems to make it better is adding downforce.

Last edited:
Back