Gran Turismo 7’s New Physics Are Not Entirely Going Well

• Thread starter Famine
  • 398 comments
full

Add another busted car to the list: The 02 RX-7 Spirit. Mine has an engine swap. I went to start the Spa 1 hour race with it but while still under autopilot the car turned twice into the wall. I might try to catch it on a replay later.

I have the new (old) M3 with an engine swap and I tried playing it on Nurburgring and during the the few seconds of autodrive before the start it spins itself out and rams into the wall on the right side and is sitting parked at a 90 degree angle to the track when the race starts.

So yeah, even on cars that don't launch themselves into orbit, the handling is screwed up on many levels for all sorts of cars. I think even the noticeably more understeer most cars is part of it. The cars definitely all feel different in a bad way.

I don’t think PD agrees with you. This mishap goes against everything they stand for.
Haha, you're incredibly dramatic.

Them acknowledging there is an issue is in no way bolstering your "catastrophe" hysterics. In fact, the reviews from most people and content creators are overwhelmingly good, so I think PD is doing just fine.

Any games physics can be exploited or manipulated to cause unusual behavior. Red Dead Redemption 2 is almost universally praised as one of the best video games of all time, but you can still get wagons to glitch in the same way as the cars in GT7 are right now, exploding into the stratosphere. Doesn't do anything to harm the reputation of it being a great game.

GTAV, you know, the biggest media title in human history... full of glitches. Nobody cares.

Big games with huge sweeping changes sometimes experience SMALL ISSUES like the ones were seeing here. Fortunately you have to go out of your way to make these things happen, and it really does't effect people playing normally at all. In fact people are enjoying this glitch for the moment and we're all having a good time watching these funny little moments.

And like I said before, it's been acknowledged and they're fixing it, just like many issues before, so these are going to be short lived anyways making it literally a non-issue that at worst causes some minor interruptions for some of us occasionally. I.E. not a big deal.

You're welcome to keep being dramatic if you'd like, but your opinion is still excessive and overreactive.

Last edited:

Them acknowledging there is an issue is in no way bolstering your "catastrophe" hysterics. In fact, the reviews from most people and content creators are overwhelmingly good, so I think PD is doing just fine.

Any games physics can be exploited or manipulated to cause unusual behavior. Red Dead Redemption 2 is almost universally praised as one of the best video games of all time, but you can still get wagons to glitch in the same way as the cars in GT7 are right now, exploding into the stratosphere. Doesn't do anything to harm the reputation of it being a great game.

GTAV, you know, the biggest media title in human history... full of glitches. Nobody cares.

Big games with huge sweeping changes sometimes experience SMALL ISSUES like the ones were seeing here. Fortunately you have to go out of your way to make these things happen, and it really does't effect people playing normally at all. In fact people are enjoying this glitch for the moment and we're all having a good time watching these funny little moments.

You're welcome to keep being dramatic if you'd like, but your opinion is still excessive and overreactive.
I’m simply trying to see things from PD’s perspective. They are perfectionists, so having released a build where their meticulously crafted game behaves like this can rightfully be described as a catastrophe. They made a big deal out of delivering this update, but this stupid glitch has ended up stealing half of the show. That’s a fact and not me being dramatic. It’s not like I’m being hyperbolic and calling the game unplayable, or anything like that.

We're already seeing feedback of people not going out of their way but still making things happen, and people being glitched in normal gameplay. The fact that it has some funny side effects side is hiding the fact that, actually, there are now problems in regular gameplay. This is not a small issue.

It's also something that wasn't broken, but now is. PD need to fix it, and they are.

You might think this is a light hearted side effect and PD are chill about it. Maybe you're right. Patches with glitches that really should have been seen in QA are part of their history, after all. I remember suspension settings that work the opposite way around to what they say they did, or aftermarket wheels that made the back wheels the same size as the front and screwed the handling of mid engined cars, for example. I, on the other hand, would not like to be at the centre of this problem professionally. I'll put it this way: from now on every time I'm under stress at work, I'll just think what it would be like if I was the project manager for patch 1.49 and woke up the day after release to see bouncing cars all over my Twitter feed, and then my own problems won't feel so bad after all.

Well it sheds light on an error in the physics engine. That’s why. It’s making it freak out. So if it can freak out like that, to me that explains why the other day I was driving a relatively stock vehicle, hardly any tune or changes, hit a curb just right and the back end just launched into the air, car nose dived down into the pavement. In two years, I’ve never ever ran into that once. Running the same line, that car, plenty of cars. So why on earth did it freak out that time? Because there’s a flaw in the system.

These people found it and exaggerated it. Brought it to light.
I'd like to mention again that if you do a burnout in almost any car, you can see the driven wheels hopping like crazy. Not exactly sure if it's because of the new tire, suspension or general physics model but it shouldn't be happening. It's almost like every car has 2 different suspension tunes. A normal tune and then a tune for when the physics model can't comprehend what's happening and goes crazy.

edit: Nevermind, I found the issue. Horsepower was the same, but it was from a different output and restrictor combination. I didn't notice the torque was also different. I still wonder about the ride height difference, though.

Anyone else getting weird disparities in settings and PP between identical cars? For context, I keep a lot of duplicate racecars for different liveries, and for each of the same car I will have different tunes for 800pp and 700pp but with default suspension settings.

I'm going through them to make power/weight adjustments and I just noticed that one of my McLaren F1 longtails has a slightly different PP to all the others. Looking at the sheets, the only difference I see is that the rear ride height is 5 points lower across all sheets than the other cars, but suspension makes no difference to the PP value.

I wonder why one car defaulted to a different suspension value after the update, and why it has an inherently different PP rating than the other identical cars. Anyone else experience something similar? The PP difference is 0.20 and they are all kept refreshed with new oil.

Last edited:
Every Sim racing studio makes mistakes for time to time. If you look on the internet you will find iRacing glitches, ACC glitches, Pcars glitches (those are plenty :D) iRacing glitches. Those physics engines are very complex one mistake and it can fall apart, lets just wait for fix, game is playable now and they took good direction with the physics lets be positive.

I have a completely stock RCR Civic and when the car is under compression or load at the front axle, the steering just locks up and you go straight. I'm turning left the entire time during the compression but nothing happens until I let go of the brakes. Happened to me at Trial Mountain and I've never had this issue before. New physics engine is borked

Thats called understeer.

I found the Problem. I set the car to deep so the wheels cant turn right and blocking the steering so i snap to the left. But Only with the BMW E36??? Race Suspension was set on 100 right hight. After i set it to 110 and now was better.
So After 4 Days with the new Physics i must say is a BMW E36 Problem. The BMW is undrivable. All the others are ok to drive. The new Physics are good i was first to fast to judge and my rate whas to bad. But know i feel better with the new physics. Only the BMW E36 must be fixed.

Last edited:
Understeer is when you turn the wheels but keep going straight. The RCR Civic doesn't even let you turn the wheels. That's called bottoming out due to a failed physics model.
Show us from the outside of the car because in the cockpit it looks like your just turning the wheel and hitting the breaks.

Understeer is when you turn the wheels but keep going straight. The RCR Civic doesn't even let you turn the wheels. That's called bottoming out due to a failed physics model.
Sounds like when you brake, the tires hit the fenders. Which is exactly what this update has done to a lot of cars. I’ve gotten it on the cobra a few times now which I never recall happening. The Shelby mustang would sometimes do it, it would 100% do it if you slapped on wide tires or wide offset. That one was noticeable, the steering wheel in game would jerk looking like the game was glitching out.

It seems they’ve softened up the suspension. My guess is they only tested cars like Gr3 and Gr4 cars and did their tweaking on those. Forgetting to check all types of vehicles available in game or they would have found out real quick this update isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Back to the drawing board.

Sounds like when you brake, the tires hit the fenders. Which is exactly what this update has done to a lot of cars. I’ve gotten it on the cobra a few times now which I never recall happening. The Shelby mustang would sometimes do it, it would 100% do it if you slapped on wide tires or wide offset. That one was noticeable, the steering wheel in game would jerk looking like the game was glitching out.

It seems they’ve softened up the suspension. My guess is they only tested cars like Gr3 and Gr4 cars and did their tweaking on those. Forgetting to check all types of vehicles available in game or they would have found out real quick this update isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Back to the drawing board.
I feel like they did all their testing at the GT world event a few weeks ago and left the feedback there. Some cars benefitted from this update but a large amount of cars essentially got nerfed. Not PDs intention but this is a huge oversight. If my company were to make such a mistake we'd be bankrupt in under a month.

You keep repeating the idea that the entire physics model is broken and unrealistic, but I don't follow? It's perfectly possibly for it to be a much better physics model and have a few bugs/anomalies that need fixing, these bugs don't prove that the entire model is borked. There are a ton of cars in the game where it works just fine.

Not as extreme as previous video but still undrivable. Atenza with engine swap, full tuning, normal suspension.

Hopefully they will release a hotfix to remedy this and the other cars that do this, then again they might not bother until the next update.Fingers crossed.

I have just done an engine swap on my 2nd BMW M3, yellowbirdy, to check if the issue wasnt to the normal m3, but even there it is so bad, if not worse as the extra power at least 1232bhp, cannot be contained crieky mateee!! the car veers to the left and then all over when you try to correct it. SS Route X is nightmare to drive.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240729220031.jpg
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240729221956.jpg

You keep repeating the idea that the entire physics model is broken and unrealistic, but I don't follow? It's perfectly possibly for it to be a much better physics model and have a few bugs/anomalies that need fixing, these bugs don't prove that the entire model is borked. There are a ton of cars in the game where it works just fine.
Back to the drawing board as in, let’s sort out where we went wrong and try again. Lots of cars do work just fine, but they still have some weird stuff happening on sweeping corners.

Most cars I’ve driven so far around a sweeping corner at say Dragon Tail Gardens, have this weird tire scrub feeling. Wheel gets light then it hammers back at you then it gets light then it hammers back at you again all the way through the corner. Not sure why it’s so abrupt. It’s like grip/no grip/grip/no grip/grip/no grip ALL the way through the corner. No extra throttle input just cruising around the corner while the wheel tugs away. So if it’s a left sweeper, the wheel feels like it’s pulling to the right but I actually think it’s losing FFB and then gaining it back again, like going from 0-10 repeatedly.

Back