Gran Turismo 7 Comes on Two Discs for PlayStation 4

• Thread starter Famine
  • 101 comments
Haven't played any multi-disc games asides from FM3. I seem to remember the multi-disc install process being a bit of a pain, so I hope it's more convenient here. I don't think I will be able to get my hands on a PS5 soon. The only reason I have PlayStations is for Gran Turismo, everything else goes on my PC, so I honestly think a PS5 isn't worth it for me, so 2-discs on the PS4 Pro it is.

Hard to believe that at some point the PS4 version won´t spoils down the number of future updates and dlcs in the progression ladder of the game. And then GT8 will be released as system exclusive and free to have as many updates as PS5 lifetime can get.

If they're gonna make it a dual-disc game atleast have the discs colour matched, and make then have 2 different scratch-n'-sniff scents, like Pit-Stop Lane and New Car Smell

GT7 Scratch-n'-Sniff, brought to you by Little Trees

I would've really liked a 2 or 3-disc 25th Anniversary Edition, but as it stands I'll have one disc that I can't use until I can catch a PS5 (2024?) and a voucher for a 7-14+ hour download!

On the plus side, I won't have to keep sliding the cover off and opening the steelbook multiple times a week like with the GT6 15th AE, (I eventually swapped the GT5 and 6 cases just because)

On the minus side... I don't get the discs and I can't preload either? This is definitely the slowest way to play, I'll be fighting my desire to buy the double disc version (until it's $20, of course)

Anyway, wondering about GT7 has been occupying far too much of my brain for the last nine years. 16 more days!

I'm kind of surprised that the PS4 and PS5 versions are the same size, or nearly the same. I assumed that the textures and maybe the 3D models would be smaller in size on the PS4 because of hardware limitations. So are they shipping with the same assets to save time? (not download/install time though)

We actually don't know the relative size. We only know from the console disk capacities that the PS4 version is anywhere between 51-100 GB. Likewise the PS5 version is anywhere from 1-100 GB. PS4 may have lesser quality assets, but it may need to duplicate assets. PS5 has higher quality assets, but it's got the kickass Kraken compression software and doesn't need to duplicate assets. Maybe PS4 is 90 GB and PS5 is 50 GB. We don't know yet, so we'll find out from the download size.

I'm kind of surprised that the PS4 and PS5 versions are the same size, or nearly the same. I assumed that the textures and maybe the 3D models would be smaller in size on the PS4 because of hardware limitations. So are they shipping with the same assets to save time? (not download/install time though)
They aren't, they're listed as the same in some regions but the PS5 version will be smaller in size than the PS4 version. The size on the listing will just be a placeholder.

I guess having the 2 main PS5 games i want, released within weeks of each other is a pretty obvious hint that i need to prepare for the next batch with an extra SSD

Thought that happened automatically from what you’ve shared online? No need to keep the game then.
That might only be your online racing information. I don’t know if there is anything from the “offline“ portion of the game that can be transferred over.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was 2 discs, albeit one disc being install and the other being for actual play.
Same thing with FF7 Remake. Was quite the surprise when my brother bought the game and opened the box.

That might only be your online racing information. I don’t know if there is anything from the “offline“ portion of the game that can be transferred over.
No offline content carries over. Only what’s been shared publicly. That’s what I read, anyway.

Last edited:
As
Of course, it gives you an idea how big the game is.
You clearly use the internet and visit this website, I'm sure you can glean that information without worrying how many disks are in the box. Or you could just read the back of the box.

Haven't played any multi-disc games asides from FM3. I seem to remember the multi-disc install process being a bit of a pain, so I hope it's more convenient here.
The install process of a 2-Disc game on a PS4 is pretty much the same as any regular single disc install. The only difference is that the console will tell you to swap discs half way through and that's it. It will take slightly longer to finish installing but honestly, it's nowhere as bad as the pain of having to deal with "copying update file" whenever you update a game.

Disc 1: GT 7 PS4
Disc 2: videos about GT7 PS5 edition !
I jest (oh let's not all forget to preorder the game, I just did today , launch edition)

where's the tape for my commodore 64?

Interesting, haven't seen 2-disc games since GT2.
amiga-br961m-1010-3.5-external-floppy-drive-23-pin-connector-1.17__34058.1490271597.jpg

Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , ...loading 40s... (dead, try again)

ahh them good old days

Having gone gold doesn’t necessarily mean it’s finished. There will likely be a day one patch with some final polish.
Another is with games going gold nowadays, people might have gotten their hands on a physical copy (game critics, review publications and certain content creators), but are bound by a media embargo or non-disclosure agreement.

Rolling into the carousel on the green hell... please insert disk 2 to continue lap
amiga-br961m-1010-3.5-external-floppy-drive-23-pin-connector-1.17__34058.1490271597.jpg

Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , Insert Disc 1, Insert Disc 2 , ...loading 40s... (dead, try again)

ahh them good old days
Dont forget the hypnotoad loading graphics ten minutes of seizure inducing strobings with bonus data squeelings... It might not be ray tracing but stare hard enough and you will forget it existed lol

Last edited:
Okay, so since the Anniversary edition supports both I assume all of them will be two-disc packages.

Back