Gran Turismo 7 Custom Race thread

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2,368 comments
Um? I'm running all 20 of my P1 s with the same tunes and at full power.

The point of my post was that before this custom race was fine with all 20 p1s close racing for 30 minutes but now only 4 to 5 cars stay in the front while the rest are on a Sunday drive which was not happening before.

And I have tried Boost Weak, professional difficulty they still do the same thing.
Yes, you don’t want to run them all at the same power, because the AI will not use full throttle after the first corner, therefore they are down on power. So you need to detune your own car so it’s more competitive on the straights. So on Route X especially, this will be magnified. Could be very much a lottery with when the AI brakes in the slipstream when they get close, if they need to avoid any kind of contact. And so after they brake, they’ll be at 97% throttle for the rest of the race.

The AI itself may have changed a bit but my experience after the patch is that they’re about the same, and I did some testing on Laguna Seca this morning in the Super Formula SF23.

EDIT: Okay, I mis-read the whole thing, my apologies. The top 5 are close but the rest aren’t. I think this may be that the trailing pack brake at one point, and thus are no longer at full throttle. Or, they lose slipstream after braking, and then they slip back from there, no slipstream + not full throttle.

There isn’t really a way to remedy this since it’s not your straight line speed being too high vs. the AI.

But as an aside, on most other tracks, I would recommend dropping your ECU/power limiter percentage for more competitiveness if the races aren’t super close.

Last edited:
Have you tried a one make just to see if the oval settings have changed? I take it that’s how the pack stays so close.Y
Yup I even try that and the same thing happens 4 to 5 cars in the front while the rest will fall back to over 1 minute.

Yup I even try that and the same thing happens 4 to 5 cars in the front while the rest will fall back to over 1 minute.
I wonder if PD made it consistent with Daytona and Blue Moon Bay Speedway. I’ve had close races at Daytona, but sometimes the lead pack would stretch out.

Yes, you don’t want to run them all at the same power, because the AI will not use full throttle after the first corner, therefore they are down on power. So you need to detune your own car so it’s more competitive on the straights. So on Route X especially, this will be magnified. Could be very much a lottery with when the AI brakes in the slipstream when they get close, if they need to avoid any kind of contact. And so after they brake, they’ll be at 97% throttle for the rest of the race.

The AI itself may have changed a bit but my experience after the patch is that they’re about the same, and I did some testing on Laguna Seca this morning in the Super Formula SF23.

EDIT: Okay, I mis-read the whole thing, my apologies. The top 5 are close but the rest aren’t. I think this may be that the trailing pack brake at one point, and thus are no longer at full throttle. Or, they lose slipstream after braking, and then they slip back from there, no slipstream + not full throttle.

There isn’t really a way to remedy this since it’s not your straight line speed being too high vs. the AI.

But as an aside, on most other tracks, I would recommend dropping your ECU/power limiter percentage for more competitiveness if the races aren’t super close.
The Ai is running at full 100% throttle in this race here is a picture from Aug 2 its a AI car running at full thottle in all 20 did that's why all 20 cars would stay within 3 seconds of each other.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240815195902.jpg

Skip to now here is 1 of the 5 cars in the front running at full throttle.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240815200828.jpg

Now here is from 7th pace to 20th place as they start to full back as you can see already behind by 6 seconds.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240815200806.jpg

Now here is the 9th place car not Running at full throttle which was not happening on AUG 2 so why now?
Gran Turismo® 7_20240815200900.jpg

So no lowing the power of my car or the AI is not the solution when everything was fine before?

Last edited:
The Ai is running at full 100% throttle in this race here is a picture from Aug 2 its a AI car running at full thottle in all 20 did that's why all 20 cars would stay within 3 seconds of each other.
View attachment 1381344

Skip to now here is 1 of the 5 cars in the front running at full throttle.
View attachment 1381345

Now here is from 7th pace to 20th place as they start to full back as you can see already behind by 6 seconds.
View attachment 1381346

Now here is the 9th place car not Running at full throttle which was not happening on AUG 2 so why now?
View attachment 1381350
So no lowing the power of my car or the AI is not the solution when everything was fine before?
Yeah you’re right, I mis-read, my apologies. Could it just be a bit of a random chance with if/when they drop out of slipstream? Maybe it’s worth watching a low pack driver for a while to see how they drop back?

Last edited:
Yeah you’re right, I mis-read, my apologies. Could it just be a bit of a random chance with if/when they drop out of slipstream? Maybe it’s worth watching a low pack driver for a while to see how they drop back?
Thanks Theufcveteran I appreciate the help I spent all day trying every setting custom race has to offer on why this is happening now.

Which explain the 2K miles I did today.:lol:

Wanted to make my custom races (10 to 20 minutes) a bit spicier with random weather, but nothing happened so far. The sun comes out and disappears from time to time, but no rain in sight at all. 😩

Well after launching a full scale investigation into what was happening with my p1 gtr race I finally found the problem.

The problem was I had 12 of my p1 at top speed set to 350 while the rest were set to 400.

The ones set to 400 were the ones that would run in front while the ones set to 350 would fall back.

My favorite custom race is back on the menu boy's :lol::cheers:
Gran Turismo® 7_20240818220401.jpg

Happy custom race everyone.

They should nerf the LM55 Gr 1 in BoP races. They do provide fun battles, but it does get annoying when they always finish podium in my races

Alright, I took the plunge and bought the Superbird again. Actually hoped for a fix for the loose rear end at Daytona Oval. Thought I’d try to tune it out somehow. Well, it still happens with various set ups. One thing I figured I try is Counter Steering. Only assist I use are ABS. MAGIC!

Set my controller steering sensitivity from -2 to zero. Counter Steering On and happy motoring in the Superbird at Daytona Oval.

Wanted to make my custom races (10 to 20 minutes) a bit spicier with random weather, but nothing happened so far. The sun comes out and disappears from time to time, but no rain in sight at all. 😩
I've done 30+ races all 30min each with Random Weather and no rain has come. Even changed the variable time as well. I've gotten a few dark clouds but that's it.

I noticed that the Daytona Grind has a bug since the last update: the Tomahawks are hopping around, making it almost impossible to get a clean race bonus (with afk methode). Is anybody of you also affected by it?

Hey all, I haven't done many custom races at all in GT7, but yesterdays videos covering their stint in the NLS series from Jimmy Broadbent and Super GT inspired me to do a mock NLS race in the game. It was a pretty good time!

I used the M4 Gr4, found and slapped a Bilstein livery on it (not one I made this time), and set up a custom race at the Nurburgring Endurance circuit. To mimic the multi-class racing of NLS I placed 10 Gr3 cars and 10 Gr4 cars on the grid, set it to 3 laps, put it on professional difficulty, and went at it. I did put RM tires on the BMW to give me a little bit of a leg up on the Gr3s (though I think some of them were also on non-RH tires), but also forgot to remove the supercharger from the Gr4 Mustang, which led to a couple interesting moments, but the AI as always just isn't capable of maintaining any kind of a pace.

In the end it was a very fun race, especially because of the challenge of chasing down the Gr3 cars with the Gr4 BMW. We all know how slow the AI is, so giving them this advantage at least made for a little bit of actual racing in moments. I ended up catching most of the Gr3s on lap three, going side-by-side with the RS01 for a little bit, and then stupidly overshooting the second to last corner on the last lap due to the pressure of them catching me on dottinger straight... still came out with a 3rd place.

Interestingly, my fastest lap was an 8:38 and both Jimmy and Steve qualified in the 38s, 39s... thought that was pretty neat.

The video is pretty long, but other than my solo run on lap two, a pretty fun watch if you're into this kind of stuff!

I'm getting more and more annoyed with this game and PD tbh.
So you try to set up a competitive custom race and you somehow work around all those limitations and strange behaviors. Work that you shouldn't have to do, work that PD should do. But you want to have a fun, competitive, realistic race, so you do the work.
And then this happens:

Yes, I'm aware it's not something new. It's around for quite some time. But that's exactly what annoys me. In relation to player/sales numbers PD must be one of the worst companies out there in terms of bug fixing. It's ridiculous!

Any suggestions on the least fuel-efficient cars, when driven by AI. By getting the AI-driven cars to pit every lap, I wonder if there is a custom race set up that will yield reasonably high payouts.
When I can, I will try an engine-swapped NSX gr.4 vs my 199/580pp Atenza (if it is still the same since the updates). Has anyone tried it?

Is there a complete list of Group A tunes for custom race anywhere?
I’ve included as much as possible from various sources.

Some cars like the MA70 Supra are varied. The Group A JTCC Supras(later used in ATCC) supposedly had about 450-500 bhp.

The single Turbo Supras had about 370 BHP and the Group A Bemani NA Supras had about 315 BHP.
This link is in the tune thread under “1987 Cars” http://touringcarracing.net/Pages/1988 Cars.html

As for Supra weights, I used this article to set up my Supras.

Group A AE86 are also in that touringcarracing.net site. Power is 150 bhp for the European teams that ran their AE86s to Australian and British teams that we getting north of 185 BHP. Weights are around 900kg+.

Group A Civic EG are about 230bhp+ and 900-950kg. The Group A Civic Super Touring cars put out about 275bhp and weight 950kg-975kg due to regulations.

When it comes to balancing cars that clearly have more power than others in their class, I use gearing to maintain some type of closeness, but a bit of realism. Instead of changing gearing at every track which the real cars did, I settle on say 4.1 and/or 4.7 final drives and about 271-274kph top speeds. The R32 blitzes the field every time like the real cars did back in the day. However, excluding the R32 from certain race set ups like Group A DTM(RS 500, E30, A70, 190 E) and pre-1990 R32 era Group A ATCC(RS 500, E30, A70, R31, 190 E) it’s a more balanced outcome. Though the RS 500 are the quickest based on higher bhp than the rest of the field.

I’m always learning about this era of cars and adjusting set ups often. These are just guides for my baseline set ups and how I play. Other members have more optimal set ups for various scenarios that may suit a wide range of players. I never get tired of it.

I've had a crack at tuning and racing my own GT300 grid - only limits are 300hp/1100kg, max aero packages where applicable!

I think I'll be recording races between the AI in these in cup competitions until there's a clear GT300 world tour grid established...

1725700508238.png

Did a 30 minute 'All Japan' run on Suzuka, 1x/1x: (or what I've time trialed on Brands Hatch yet... Evo tuning next...)
1725700605837.png

The GT500 Gr.2 absolutely wiped the floor with consistent 2:09 laps, finishing 1:30 ahead of the rest.
I somehow scrambled a 2nd place finish after battling with the Supra '19 and NSX '02 for a good portion of the race.

Interesting how some cars drastically over/underperform in the hands of AI drivers - see the NSX GT500 '08, which in the little cup races I've done as a test, has always consistently lost positions from its qualifying time!?

Here's a snap of the Suzuka action:

1725700908052.png

Building up a grid of Red Bull X2014s. For me, this is the closest I'll get to an F1 race.

Teams: Red Bull, McLaren, and Ferrari.

Upcoming teams: Scuderia AlphaTauri, AMG Petronas, Williams, Renault Sport, Audi Sport Sauber, Aston Martin, and Andretti.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240907204358.jpg

Oh... and a spoiler alert is in order. :lol:

Last edited:
I wish. We’ve only got something like the Coronet that is the shape of the Galaxie. The Nova in the game is maybe slightly longer than the Barracuda, but we can’t make the wheel & tyre set up narrower. We’ve got nothing like the Jag.
The BMWs are in the datamine so might get to see those soon. Cortina is definitely needed since forever.

Anyway, when doing these races I’ve substituted a few cars by using the Gordini, Skylines and CSL ‘71 for sedans and the 240Z in place of Capri. It’s crazy we had so many small rear wheel drive cars from in past GTs that would work so well in this game.

Ran a custom endurance race inspired by the Seattle 200 from Gran Turismo 2, Hard AI with low boost and all of the cars were stock except for Racing Hard tires though the corvette has a sport clutch and sport brakes:

IxDi6KL.png

The Viper gave me a pretty hard time but it pitted on Lap 36, as you can see by the end of the race it was not far behind as it quickly was catching up, overall the race was pretty fun. :cool:

Thought this might be the best thread to add this as Classics seem to prevalent in the Custom Races - A very good recent Goodwood Classic car race, which just goes to show how well the GT7 game captures it, - A few cars racing featured in GT7....fancy any on show that are not ?

I’ve got a few St Mary’s trophy custom grids.
  • Comfort medium: alfas and R8s. The Renaults tend to dominate due to the superior stability.
  • Comfort hard: minis, beetles, abarths, and Toyota 800s. This one requires lots of tuning.
  • John Whitmore Trophy: minis one make. Very good fun and fairly cheap.

It is a real shame that the default tyre issue prevents running a mix of all of these cars on CM tyres. The sports cars of this era are typically equipped with CM whereas the race cars have CS.

Last edited:
Back