Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,402 comments
Licensing fees. Why pay for them when you can just create the music (or in this case, reuse) yourself?

Should be worth noting that other racing games have already gone in the in-house direction. Namely FM7. Only one that still uses licensed music is Horizon, for obvious reasons.
Dozens of songs in GT7 are licensed though?

Dozens of songs in GT7 are licensed though?
The menu music at least. But the race music is mostly skewed towards the in-house stuff.

I think it's really a matter of taste and opinion. My opinion is that in house music can make or break a game. Racing genre or games that feature cars as their main mode of transport typically is one where it breaks more often than not. Why? Because in house music gives this sense of pretension and gives way to anti climatic and often cheesy results. The reasons why I don't like Daiki Kasho are exactly those. Give me Turbo Lover any day over the aging blue cheese that is most of PD's seemingly complacent music choices.

The songs Vroom and Drift and two perfect examples of the cheese factor that comes with in house written music for a car game.
I disagree. In-house music can give a game its own identity rather than relying on someone else's work to do it. I don't exactly see how it makes it pretentious by going with original compositions. If anything, I'd argue using licensed work makes it pretentious, rather.

I agree that Vroom is cheesy, though, but that's about it.

I think it's really a matter of taste and opinion. My opinion is that in house music can make or break a game. Racing genre or games that feature cars as their main mode of transport typically is one where it breaks more often than not. Why? Because in house music gives this sense of pretension and gives way to anti climatic and often cheesy results. The reasons why I don't like Daiki Kasho are exactly those. Give me Turbo Lover any day over the aging blue cheese that is most of PD's seemingly complacent music choices.

The songs Vroom and Drift and two perfect examples of the cheese factor that comes with in house written music for a car game.
Then there's Forza Motorsport 3 and 4... sure they used licensed music for the races, but the menu music was all made by Lance Hayes for the game. And well, I was already listening to them when I entered this thread, so clearly I think they're pretty great.

I disagree. In-house music can give a game its own identity rather than relying on someone else's work to do it. I don't exactly see how it makes it pretentious by going with original compositions. If anything, I'd argue using licensed work makes it pretentious, rather.

I agree that Vroom is cheesy, though, but that's about it.
Burnout 3 and 2 had some of the best in house music for a racing game, with the in house stuff actually being cut from 3.

That's probably the best example of a game having an identity music wise.

I like that old time rock and roll, not PD's idea of classical, my races don't have the same soul, I need that old time rock and roll. 😆
I think it was in GT4 that we had the tuner car events. I remember quite fondly racing around Apricot Hill and having Turbo Lover playing followed right up with She Sells Sanctuary. The GT7 music director should be given the axe.

Vroom is so good, and cheesy licensed songs have been a GT tradition ever since Dogg's Turismo 3, which I hated back in the day but in retrospect was awesome. Like it or not, GT has always had a certain style that's embodied in their music choices, and while I personally find Lenny Ibizarre's remix of The Entertainer to be annoying as hell, it's absolutely in keeping with that style, so I can't really complain.

Who just so happens to be Daiki Kasho himself, who is now sound designer at PD. Well, one of them at least.

Yeah, no. He's not going anywhere, so as long as Kaz himself still likes him. lol:

That's funny, because I really like the actual music put out by him. I don't think we can entirely blame him for GT7's OST - it very well could be due to other factors, and ones that may've been out of their control. The fact that GT7 was delayed at least once probably didn't help. I wonder how many GT games there've been where he's the music director? Maybe it's just GT7, and he's still getting used to the role?

Last edited:
Maybe it's just GT7, and he's still getting used to the role?
As of recent games, he was sound designer on GT Sport, so he's been in the role for a while now.

Even then, it's not new to him. He was also sound designer on GT2 (no music composed by him, though) and GT3 back then. He quit afterwards as stated in an old interview and only contributed music for GT4-6 before officially coming back for Sport/GT7.

As of recent games, he was sound designer on GT Sport, so he's been in the role for a while now.

Even then, it's not new to him. He was also sound designer on GT2 (no music composed by him, though) and GT3 back then. He quit afterwards as stated in an old interview and only contributed music for GT4-6 before officially coming back for Sport/GT7.
Very interesting. I don't know if the sound designer is the same person who selects the songs for the soundtrack. And what's up with Lenny? I feel like his music in GTS was a lot better compared to his work in GT7, though his pieces specifically made for the Sport Mode menu is more of what I'd expect of him. "Moment of Truth" is an amazing piece that makes you feel like you're in a sacred space.

Last edited:
I don't know if the sound designer is the same person who selects the songs for the soundtrack
Well, I'd say Kaz is ultimately the one who decides. GT is his baby after all.

Uh, btw, for clarification, there are three other sound designers at PD according to the credits: Masao Kimura (the lead), Mike Caviezel, and Alex Breuer. So likely all of them could have a say with what goes into the OST along with Kaz.

Well, I'd say Kaz is ultimately the one who decides. GT is his baby after all.

Uh, btw, for clarification, there are three other sound designers at PD according to the credits: Masao Kimura (the lead), Mike Caviezel, and Alex Breuer. So likely all of them could have a say with what goes into the OST along with Kaz.
Mike did car sounds, I don’t think he was involved with music selection, but I could be wrong. I just figure that role is strictly car sounds and overall game sound, but not the soundtrack.

Mike did car sounds, I don’t think he was involved with music selection, but I could be wrong. I just figure that role is strictly car sounds and overall game sound, but not the soundtrack.
Actually, he also did compose a few pre-race songs for GT7. American-style rock. Just go to any event in the Americas and you'll hear them.

They're called "Out West" and... I forgot the name of the others. lol

So yeah, it's both car audio and the soundtrack.

Last edited:
Actually, he also did compose a few pre-race songs for GT7. American-style rock. Just go to any event in the Americas and you'll hear them.

They're called "Out West" and... I forgot the name of the others. lol

So yeah, it's both car audio and the soundtrack.
The Strip is another one of his.

What does the tweet say?
‘I'm coming to Suzuka Circuit, the final round of the Super Formula. The new SF23, which is currently under development, will also be unveiled.
Preliminary tournaments for the national university championship "Gran Turismo College League" GTCL are also being held. #GT7’

‘The new SF23 has good sound!’

Last edited:
Y'mind if I just post my various ideas for GT7/GT8 in here? Because I'm gonna start with my ideas regarding wheels.

-Much like the cars, wheels could have tags. I feel like it's a bit hard to tell certain details just by looking at them, so I think it'd be great if we could have a relatively basic tag list, like six-lug, five-lug, four-lug, hubcap, center-lock, and so on. I think there's at least one Rays wheel that wasn't in GTS that's got a center lock design - could somebody confirm this? I think one was called the GT3 or something.

-I've noticed that if a wheel has multiple finishes, such as different colors, they're listed separately. Why not cut down the clutter in the wheel selection, and have us pick the overall wheel design, then the color, just like if we were buying a car in Brand Central?

-I also wouldn't shy away from including wheels from tuning brands that are close to a certain brand, such as the Nismo LMGT4 wheels, even if it means only Nissan vehicles could equip them. Although then again, it may be better to include the actual car(s) these wheels were equipped on, such as a Nismo-tuned R34 GT-R. This could very well also apply to cars from TRD, Spoon, and Mugen. (On a side note, I really hope we eventually get a Mugen-tuned Odyssey, haha!)

-I would either start including HRE Wheels or get rid of that decal in the livery editor. It's driving me nuts.

-Why is there only one wheel from Hayashi Racing and Spoon each? Maybe it's because of a time/budget constraint?

-Speedline and SSR could prove to also be popular brands to include.

-I want more center-lock designs! I know OZ has more than just the one we currently have had since GTS. I love how some are pure black with a red ring in the middle.

What does the tweet say?
Not that.

He's at Suzuka for the Super Formula final round, and it's where the Gran Turismo College League (a university level GT tournament...) preliminary rounds are being staged - Igor Fraga and Tomoaki Yamanaka appear to be commentating. Super Formula is also unveiling next season's SF23.

So I guess we can be fairly certain the new Super Formula is coming some time.

Maybe Kaz will discover superformula hasn't higher downforce than f1 bolids and adjust a little physcis for it (and gr1 cars also) ;d

Last edited:
Back