Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 42,402 comments
I was just checking it out. They have improved the shadows and there's proof this time. I think the 30FPS raytracing is smoother too.

I love how PD just doesn't say anything on their patch notes...

Have we got Jasper National Park scapes yet? I think it was called that. It was where Kaz was taking a picture of an F8 in the state of play.

In my opinion, that will only mean they have to push microtransactions even more.
Yeah, I’m not sure the head of PlayStation Studios flew all the way to Japan to discuss MTX’s. Something he already addressed in a Famitsu interview the other week.

In March, Sony’s live ops effort with racing game Gran Turismo 7 hit a snag after it had to correct an unpopular update tied to virtual car prices. “We’ve got to listen and learn and react quickly,” Hulst says of the experience. “That's what we're learning.”

Hermen will be dealing with broader strategic plans. Release dates, platforms, studio growth. Right now I would think the most pressing issues are year 2-3 plans for GT7, PSVR2, marketing tie-ins with the forthcoming movie, PC strategy. And how Gran Turismo moves forward as a service - maybe even F2P/PS+ plans.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not sure the head of PlayStation Studios flew all the way to Japan to discuss MTX’s. Something he already addressed in a Famitsu interview the other week.

In March, Sony’s live ops effort with racing game Gran Turismo 7 hit a snag after it had to correct an unpopular update tied to virtual car prices. “We’ve got to listen and learn and react quickly,” Hulst says of the experience. “That's what we're learning.”

Hermen will be dealing with broader strategic plans. Release dates, platforms, studio growth. Right now I would think the most pressing issues are year 2-3 plans for GT7, PSVR2, marketing tie-ins with the forthcoming movie, PC strategy. And how Gran Turismo moves forward as a service - maybe even F2P/PS+ plans.

I’m of this mindset too. I think it’s daft do think that Sony/PD are resting on their laurels letting GT7- (PS5’s and Sonys only super-relevant racing franchise) - fall by the wayside.

As far as I see it, there’s only 2 logical things they could be up to:

1.) they’re satisfied with the earnings of GT7, and they’re willing to let it die, leave a vocal part of the player base with a ‘meh’ taste in their mouth… and therefore are full steam ahead on GT8

2.) they’re spending the majority of their resources and man hours, optimizing GT7 for PSVR2 (and all the down-river implications that will come with that), as well as optimizing GT7 for a PC launch (and all the down-river implications a possible PS5-PC crossplay title might entail). I’m guessing if they do decide to voyage into the PC realm, there’s A LOT of details that need to be worked out, in order for the juice to be worth the squeeze; like triple screen support, various brands of peripherals that will all need support, and the various formatting they’ll need to do to get the game to run on hardware with varying levels of horsepower.

I used to hope that GT would remain a PS exclusive (which it very likely might), but I’m beginning to change my tune. I think it would be financially wise for Sony/PD to not limit themselves to consoles only, not to mention there doesn’t appear to be a driving game that has quite the scope that Gran Turismo has in the PC world. Forza, maybe. But it’s still not Gran Turismo.

Edit: option #3

They’re doing option 1 and 2 at the same time. It would probably be more financially lucrative to do it this way. Besides, GT7 has already made a boatload of money. GT8 would fully utilize the PS5’s potential, and would essentially end the necessity of PS4 support. This would force people into a new console - which would be more money for Sony; while also giving them access to the PC market…. Which will also net Sony more money.

Fwiw, I hope that they keep it a PS exclusive and continue to develop and expand the game for us to play it in a matter as the individual sees fit. From a casual sim-Cade title, to that of a more in depth “sim-ish” type of title. I think Q1 of 2023 will be somewhat telling of what route they will go

Last edited:
I don't think I'm gonna swap that many engines into anything unless regulations call for it, with a few really cool exceptions like putting the Audi Quattro Pikes Peak engine into the first-generation VW Golf, or the K20 into the Mini Cooper. As for my two Coyote 5.0L engines, I think I'll buy a spare Pantera when it shows up in another color I like, swap one Coyote into it, and not swap the other one into my Mustang Mach 1 '71 that's otherwise tuned with its stock engine. Why? Because I hear the Coyote 5.0L is a pretty popular engine IRL, so I'm gonna wait to see what else becomes compatible with it.

As for the current list of engines, here's my compatibility wishlist:

2JZ-GTE
Toyota Sprinter Trueno (AE86)
Toyota Corolla Levin (AE86)
Toyota GR Supra '20
Daihatsu Copen

Ford GT LM Race Car
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor

Hellcat
Dodge Super Bee
Dodge Viper GTS '02
Jeep Willys MB
Alfa Romeo MiTo

Maserati Merak SS
Lancia Stratos
Toyota 86 '15
Fiat 500 '68

Audi R8
Lamborghini Countach '74

Escudo Pikes Peak
Suzuki Swift '17

BMW Z4 GT3
BMW Z8
McLaren MP4-12C

Coyote 5.0L
De Tomaso Mangusta
Maserati GranTurismo

13B
Mazda Atenza '15
Mazda RX500

And if they potentially add more engines, here are some of the swaps I'd wanna see:

Honda S2000
Honda S660
Honda S800

Honda NSX Type R '02
Honda NSX Type R '92
Honda S2000

Mazda RX-Vision '15
Mazda RX-7 (FC)

McLaren F1 '94
BMW M3 (E30) Sport Evolution
Honda NSX Type R '02

did i read somewhere that in the last update the tyres on opposition cars in custom races had altered ?
You read it, but what it means, is unclear.
5. Custom Race
 - Rival cars selected via 'Rivals Settings' > 'Rivals Selection' > 'Select from Garage' will now use the appropriate tyres as per the Race Settings, regardless of whether you own the tyres for that car.
Nothing has changed.

Probably something not a lot of people are going to ask for, but it would have been nice if PD could have implemented a feature in Brand Central where, when buying a car that has multiple exterior colours with corresponding interior colour combos, you could actually see what the interior of your chosen exterior colour will be. It's probably not a big deal to most, but being someone who spends loads of time in the livery editor, it's something that matters to me when making the perfect combination.

Case in point: last night I spent 238,000cr on the Aston Martin DB11. I bought it in a light blue with black roof and arches - from the limited exterior view I could see it had dark seats and I didn't want tan or red seats because I was planning a candy metallic purple with yellow highlights. And in a game where detail matters, detail matters! However, once I'd bought it, spent some money tuning it, and given it the wheels and paint combo I wanted, I discovered that the interior was a two-tone of dark blue and light grey - which clashes massively with the exterior colour combo. So, being a perfectionist, I'm now going to change the exterior colour combo and go and buy another one with the hope I get the interior right this time (I think I've spotted the right exterior colour to get the interior I want!).

But, why can't it be simpler? An interior view would be nice (they're in the Garage so they should be easy enough to access in Brand Central). It could even just have a bit of text next to the colour which says, "Interior: Blue/Grey" for example. Wouldn't be much of a difficult thing to implement.

Like I say, not going to matter to most, but when detail is king, detail matters!

The way you view the car in your garage is pretty poor,you cant seem to pause any views and just as you get used to one angle it changes!Somthing similair to Forza would have been better,,i cant remember what it was called,or even being able to pause an angle/view,i guess its down to design choices.I know you can go into the livery editor and scroll any way you want to view from any angle but it seems a longwinded way to do it.

You read it, but what it means, is unclear.

Nothing has changed.
I assume this means that you no longer need to buy IM and Wet tyres for every car that you select from your garage?

I have a Custom Race at Suzuka (recreation of the 1999 JGTC race, where it rained throughout the entire race), and the AI/other garage cars used to go out on slicks before I bought IM/Wets for all of them. I also have a dry race at Autopolis, and I noticed more recently that the cars now switch to appropriate tyres for each race, which is very handy. That said, it did cost me ca. 1 million Cr. just to put IM and Wet tyres on all 19 cars...

The way you view the car in your garage is pretty poor,you cant seem to pause any views and just as you get used to one angle it changes!Somthing similair to Forza would have been better,,i cant remember what it was called,or even being able to pause an angle/view,i guess its down to design choices.I know you can go into the livery editor and scroll any way you want to view from any angle but it seems a longwinded way to do it.
In my opinion it should be inside a garage scape, and you could look at the car better.

Shouldnt be inside the grey void full of color banding

Frankly I've never understood how they could spend so much time and effort into modelling cars to the tiny least barely visible detail inside and outside and not let the player being able to appreciate their work with a "forza vista" like mode...

I assume this means that you no longer need to buy IM and Wet tyres for every car that you select from your garage?

I have a Custom Race at Suzuka (recreation of the 1999 JGTC race, where it rained throughout the entire race), and the AI/other garage cars used to go out on slicks before I bought IM/Wets for all of them. I also have a dry race at Autopolis, and I noticed more recently that the cars now switch to appropriate tyres for each race, which is very handy. That said, it did cost me ca. 1 million Cr. just to put IM and Wet tyres on all 19 cars...
I noticed that happening but after it had fitted wets automatically for a race on an AI car, when it went back to a dry track the AI car had sports med tyres on, when originally before the auto wet tyre fit it had racing hard tyres & thus languished for the dry race down the tail enders before realising why - odd

Frankly I've never understood how they could spend so much time and effort into modelling cars to the tiny least barely visible detail inside and outside and not let the player being able to appreciate their work with a "forza vista" like mode...
Forza vista,i couldnt think of what it was called,so long since i played FM7.Baffles me too,all that effort and attention to detail seems to go to waste.

McLaren Solus GT, aka the Vision GT, out testing.

Completely agree with this. I want some proper virtual garages where you can place cars, view them, swap parts etc.

Last edited:

Way before this patch, I had noticed AI use IM and then RS tyres, after switching from IM or W. I’m still on RH. Not sure that’s appropriate. From a couple older posts:
After a pit stop from wet to dry conditions.

Edit: From when i posted July 13

View attachment 1180691

Bit of a cheat by the AI. I couldn’t catch the cars ahead and the cars behind were trying to pass me. I don’t feel like spending more Cr. on RS, for ll my cars. :crazy:
I still only buy RH and IW because, I’ll drive them at some point and will need those compounds.

I like that old time rock and roll, not PD's idea of classical, my races don't have the same soul, I need that old time rock and roll. 😆
I wonder what happened to Judas Priest, Apollo 440, Feeder and all the other classic GT soundtracks. I get the feeling GT7's race soundtrack is tailor-made for the Japanese market, given 2/3rds of it is just the same old Daiki Kasho, Masahiro Andoh and Nittoku Inoue songs.

I wonder what happened to Judas Priest, Apollo 440, Feeder and all the other classic GT soundtracks. I get the feeling GT7's race soundtrack is tailor-made for the Japanese market, given 2/3rds of it is just the same old Daiki Kasho, Masahiro Andoh and Nittoku Inoue songs.
Licensing fees. Why pay for them when you can just create the music (or in this case, reuse) yourself?

Should be worth noting that other racing games have already gone in the in-house direction. Namely FM7. Only one that still uses licensed music is Horizon, for obvious reasons.

I think it's really a matter of taste and opinion. My opinion is that in house music can make or break a game. Racing genre or games that feature cars as their main mode of transport typically is one where it breaks more often than not. Why? Because in house music gives this sense of pretension and gives way to anti climatic and often cheesy results. The reasons why I don't like Daiki Kasho are exactly those. Give me Turbo Lover any day over the aging blue cheese that is most of PD's seemingly complacent music choices.

The songs Vroom and Drift and two perfect examples of the cheese factor that comes with in house written music for a car game.

Last edited:
I agree. The closest we can currently get to the cars at the moment is in Replay mode, free camera positioning before opening the camera menu. Now that they don't have wide bounding boxes around them like on PS3, you can get to places you couldn't reach before, e.g. fly around the Superbird's wing!

Unfortunately, the in-race models used in replays have some detail compromises compared to the Gallery models, which you can see in the livery editor.

Back