Gran Turismo 7 "Legend Cars" Will Be Dynamically Priced by Hagerty

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments
That's interesting. I wonder if the value will go above 20 mil ? I guess 20 mil is probably the hard cap. So I wonder if it will change on a weekly or monthly basis.

Using real world pricing to set the price of in-game cars doesn't seem like a great idea for players. In the real world prices almost always only go up, at least for these type of cars. The type of people buying these cars in real life have many ways to generate huge incomes to buy them, we don't.

I love how these cars are still prohibitively expensive and impossible to get for most people, but instead of PD making them more accessible to acquire they just decided to double-down on the difficulty and be super extra about it at the same time.

Like instead of making these cars a core part of the game, or making a racing group with them, it's just "let's make them even more expensive and tag on a real-world auction house that values these cars dynamically while we're at it".

Man that is so ridiculous and I kind of love it. But I kind of look at these cars as like a golden visor in the old halo games or something, you need to work in order to get these cars and it’s a privilege within the game to have them, sort of a sign of achievement or accomplishment. GT7 is the most focused GT game on the collection aspect so it makes more sense here than it did before.

Last edited:
Ah yes. One of the classic PD hallmark "we want to show off how much money Sony let us set on fire by doing things that are irrelevant to the game" development moves.

And this time something that will negatively affect gameplay on the extremely rare chance that it actually happens (how often do, say, 1960s Alfa Romeo race cars trade hands at auction) despite it making zero sense for it to do so (1960s Alfa Romeo race cars are worth oodles of money because they are extremely rare and they have actual provenance; when a digital representation of one in a videogame has neither); just so a "feature" can be listed in the marketing text. It's basically like PD are simulating how NFTs work.

Last edited:
Every time you check back, the same Ferrari is $1 million more expensive :rolleyes:

@Tornado I disagree wholeheartedly. Having what is basically a marketplace like this will make the game feel alive and make these cars feel like a privilege to experience in-game. I think this gotta-have-it mentality of gamers these days is one of the reasons people burn through game after game, never actually satisfied with what they've accomplished. It's like a sick desire to waste as much time as possible. Having goals to strive for is key. That's the whole purpose of strategy and RPG games and I think adding elements of those to something like Gran Turismo is a great idea. Hearing people like DeMuro and Farah talk about the car market is pretty interesting and perhaps we'll even get notifications or news in-game of the various rare sales that happen. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there's a "rare sales" thread on GTP somewhere.

Last edited:
kjb
That's interesting. I wonder if the value will go above 20 mil ? I guess 20 mil is probably the hard cap. So I wonder if it will change on a weekly or monthly basis.
That will never happen since 20 mill is also the max cap you can save up credits. That is, excluding microtransactions.

Every time you check back, the same Ferrari is $1 million more expensive :rolleyes:

@Tornado I disagree wholeheartedly. Having what is basically a marketplace like this will make the game feel alive and make these cars feel like a privilege to experience in-game. I think this gotta-have-it mentality of gamers these days is one of the reasons people burn through game after game, never actually satisfied with what they've accomplished. It's like a sick desire to waste as much time as possible. Having goals to strive for is key. That's the whole purpose of strategy and RPG games and I think adding elements of those to something like Gran Turismo is a great idea. Hearing people like DeMuro and Farah talk about the car market is pretty interesting and perhaps we'll even get notifications or news in-game of the various rare sales that happen. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there's a "rare sales" thread on GTP somewhere.
Ahhhh yes I would love to pay $100 million for a Shelby Cobra Daytona in a $60-$70 game with microtransactions, is grindy and is always online meaning if the servers shut down the game’s no longer playable, I lose access to that car. That’s almost as bad as having to buy the next madden game after the servers for the last madden game shut down and having to start all over in ultimate team, meaning that legendary Tom Brady you pulled from a loot box no longer exists. 💩

Last edited:
Make sure to buy every single manual 911 GT3 you can afford so you can immediately sell it for twice what you paid.
Ditto for any air cooled Porsche.

Wait, maybe that's going to be the secret to the GT7 economy. Kaz did say there's a big emphasis on collector car culture, so that would make total sense - buy, hold, sell, and profit.

Having what is basically a marketplace like this will make the game feel alive and make these cars feel like a privilege to experience in-game.
They could have done that by actually implementing a marketplace. Not ascribing the frequently imaginary values investment speculators pay on actual real life rare items (when they aren't just using cars as a means to launder money, mind you) to fantasy recreations that can be had in unlimited amounts in a series that has struggled with terrible game structure vis-a-vis the in-game economy for over a decade now (but PD will happily sell you something to sidestep that problem).

Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure there's a "rare sales" thread on GTP somewhere.
Yes, and there's also a "Ridiculously Overpriced Used Cars" thread on GTP somewhere; but the difference with both of those is that there is actually a tangible (albeit sometimes increasingly detached from any logic) basis for why something like a stickshift A80 Supra might be worth $200,000 to someone who had to outbid someone else to get it and can probably sell it for the same that he paid for it at least, and you can buy more A80 Supras in your typical GT game than Toyota actually made in real life and you don't get dick back for it if you try to get rid of it.

Bad game design doesn't stop being bad game design because PD puts half-assed measures to pretend it's representative of car culture.

Last edited:
They could have done that by actually implementing a marketplace. Not ascribing the frequently imaginary values investment speculators pay on actual real life rare items (when they aren't just using cars as a means to launder money, mind you) to fantasy recreations that can be had in unlimited amounts in a series that has struggled with terrible game structure vis-a-vis the in-game economy for over a decade now (but PD will happily sell you something to sidestep that problem).

Yes, and there's also a "Ridiculously Overpriced Used Cars" thread on GTP somewhere; but the difference with both of those is that there is actually a tangible (albeit sometimes increasingly detached from any logic) basis for why something like a stickshift A80 Supra might be worth $200,000 to someone who had to outbid someone else to get it and can probably sell it for the same that he paid for it at least, and you can buy more A80 Supras in your typical GT game than Toyota actually made in real life and you don't get dick back for it if you try to get rid of it.

Bad game design doesn't stop being bad game design because PD puts half-assed measures to pretend it's representative of car culture.
Apparently the dynamic weather wasn’t good enough to make the game feel “Alive” for him so basing the price of a digital car in a video game based on how much it’s worth in real life makes it feel even more alive.

If that’s the case, can someone explain to me why does a used Nissan Skyline R34 cost almost 400k in GT7? In almost every game I’ve played they usually cost like what 75k?

If that’s the case, can someone explain to me why does a used Nissan Skyline R34 cost almost 400k in GT7? In almost every game I’ve played they usually cost like what 75k?
A midnight purple R34 recently sold for 300k on bring a trailer.

Hagerty even wrote about it. They also mentioned that a 2002 R34 went for $500k in Japan.

R34 Fever

Last edited:
When you finally have enough credits...

817uQyJIumL._RI_.jpg

This is interesting. I welcome it but I am in the camp that doesn't believe I need to own every car nor feel entitled to every car on the disc because I bought the disc, and I guess this is the line where the people for or against it will lie.

In my short time with GT7 so far, I feel more of a sense of ownership of the cars more so than previous titles. I will go to my garage to get into my favorite car before paying a visit to the café just so I can see it parked outside and drive off when I select my next menu. So this sort of falls in line with the experience that I am currently enjoying.

I can certainly see how this would not be for everyone or where it may be a bit of a wall for some players.

I don't see how they'll tailor it to real life classic car market fluctuations, as every car will be 20m cr. within a year or two like everyone's been saying :lol::lol::lol:

If the prices do go up and down though, that'll be really cool.

They've gone and made the game online only, and mechanics like these help to give that a purpose.

This is interesting. I welcome it but I am in the camp that doesn't believe I need to own every car nor feel entitled to every car on the disc because I bought the disc, and I guess this is the line where the people for or against it will lie.

In my short time with GT7 so far, I feel more of a sense of ownership of the cars more so than previous titles. I will go to my garage to get into my favorite car before paying a visit to the café just so I can see it parked outside and drive off when I select my next menu. So this sort of falls in line with the experience that I am currently enjoying.

I can certainly see how this would not be for everyone or where it may be a bit of a wall for some players.
Yeah but it's one thing collecting all the cars for the sake of it but it sucks when one of the most expensive cars happens to be one of your favourites.

Ahhhh yes I would love to pay $100 million for a Shelby Cobra Daytona in a $60-$70 game with microtransactions, is grindy and is always online meaning if the servers shut down the game’s no longer playable, I lose access to that car. That’s almost as bad as having to buy the next madden game after the servers for the last madden game shut down and having to start all over in ultimate team, meaning that legendary Tom Brady you pulled from a loot box no longer exists. 💩
Are you not going to be playing this game constantly for the next five years, doing a dozen or more daily races and lobby races per week, earning credits every time, and being gifted cars constantly so you'll hardly ever need to actually buy anything? Do you want to be able to afford every today or what? How will you feel about the game years from now if you can touch every corner of it by the end of the week? This is exactly the type of have-it-now mentality that I was talking about.

I'm gonna assume yours hasn't come in the mail yet. Once you start playing and progressing you're going to run out of things to argue about.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding.

It just makes me appreciate Forza's Auction House more and more (even if I have massive misgivings on how cars outside of Forzathon cars are worthless, and Legendary Painters inflating the worth of these cars) that at the very least, car prices are set in the game, and there is no money cap so you don't have to worry about blowing your wad on one car in specific. At least I don't have to worry about whether there is a background plan to push micro-transactions onto players in order to make up the difference in not making a good in game economy in the modern history of the series.

My experience with these cars is they were overly expensive and sucked to drive. They were only worth buying when you needed to complete a career mode event, and served no purpose otherwise.

GT seems to be trying to equate this to car collecting in real life, and it doesn’t seem to work here. If I’m gonna pay 20 mil for a car that serves no real purpose, what’s the point? At least a real life version I can take for a spin around the block.

Back