Gran Turismo 7 "Legend Cars" Will Be Dynamically Priced by Hagerty

• Thread starter Famine
  • 117 comments
Using real world pricing to set the price of in-game cars doesn't seem like a great idea for players. In the real world prices almost always only go up, at least for these type of cars. The type of people buying these cars in real life have many ways to generate huge incomes to buy them, we don't.
I think the challenge here is that in the real-world, each car was produced in limited numbers, and supply/demand economics factors into the price.

In the game the supply of cars is infinite, though I suspect Polyphony's game designers have factored that into the game's economy,

In the game the supply of cars is infinite, though I suspect Polyphony's game designers have factored that into the game's economy,
The limited/out of stock mechanic in UCD/LCD wants to know your location (although cars you bought from there isn't marked as sold out somehow).

I think the challenge here is that in the real-world, each car was produced in limited numbers, and supply/demand economics factors into the price.

Honestly as someone said earlier, PD should’ve just added an auction house that works similar to the one Forza has where people can put their cars up on sale and the game’s player base gets to bid and not based on whatever is going on with Hagerty. That would not only be a much better choice but would also give Forza further competition with its PlayStation Exclusive Racing Sim counterpart.

Also irrelevant question but you actually work for Codemasters? Nice to see some people working in the gaming industry on GTPlanet.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I see PD is STILL trying to find ways to force players to depend on spending MTs if grinding becomes a pain. This franchise used to be so good when it was just a video game. Now, it wants to be too realistic with EVERYTHING. How is this idea even nostalgic in any way?
I think if that was their intention they would have kept control over the pricing of the cars. What's expensive in real life, due to rarity or some other attribute, may not be something that a lot of players would want to buy in the game.

Let's make them limited like real life as well then, only 39 Ferrari 250 GTOs for the whole game playerbase.
There's always going to be extreme examples like that where realism wouldn't fit, but it doesn't mean it's not a good thing in general

I think if that was their intention they would have kept control over the pricing of the cars. What's expensive in real life, due to rarity or some other attribute, may not be something that a lot of players would want to buy in the game.

There's always going to be extreme examples like that where realism wouldn't fit, but it doesn't mean it's not a good thing in general
You've not explained why this is a good thing though.

Just a reminder that Wish List will notify the players when the car comes back.
1646493637515.png

Honestly as someone said earlier, PD should’ve just added an auction house that works similar to the one Forza has where people can put their cars up on sale and the game’s player base gets to bid and not based on whatever is going on with Hagerty. That would not only be a much better choice but would also give Forza further competition with its PlayStation Exclusive Racing Sim counterpart.

Also irrelevant question but you actually work for Codemasters? Nice to see some people working in the gaming industry on GTPlanet.
Back when FM had an auction house, the unicorn cars would go for millions of credits as well, it wouldn’t be much different. I liked having it though.

Last edited:
I never seen the auction house in FH. But I do remember some cars selling for tens of millions in FM4, especially the ones coming from tuning and paint teams.

Very interesting idea. I applaud the creativity behind the concept. That said, I'm hoping it won't cause too many issues with the in-game economy. But I'm also not terribly worried. I hear the campaign gives you tons of cars, and as far as credits go, I'm thinking I'll get plenty from the campaign and by simply having fun online, whether it's in Sport Mode or lobbies.

I hear the campaign gives you tons of cars
It gives you about 80 in total, the majority of which are at the cheaper end. That still leaves 340 cars to buy, many running into many millions. Having the most expensive cars increase in price in game because of things happening in the real world is not going to make it any easier, so best make sure you buy those cars ASAP. In two years, they might all be 20-50% higher in price.

It gives you about 80 in total, the majority of which are at the cheaper end.
That's still nice, especially since I plan to have at least two of most cars.
That still leaves 340 cars to buy, many running into many millions. Having the most expensive cars increase in price in game because of things happening in the real world is not going to make it any easier, so best make sure you buy those cars ASAP. In two years, they might all be 20-50% higher in price.
So? I'm sure we'll have plenty of fun ways to get the necessary amounts of credits, especially with the new Sport Mode regulations.

I'm sure we'll have plenty of fun ways to get the necessary amounts of credits
I'm not so sure, with Microtransactions lurking from day one. We'll see. Remember you didn't need credits for upgrading anything in GTS, you do in this game. Lots of them.

I'm not so sure, with Microtransactions lurking from day one. We'll see. Remember you didn't need credits for upgrading anything in GTS, you do in this game. Lots of them.
Then I'll simply be especially careful with how I spend my credits, then. Microtransactions were present at the launches of GT6 and GTS, too, IIRC.

Last edited:
I kinda like the idea in principle. However, there are a few things that make it problematic in implementation:

1. There is no trading of cars in-game.
2. The player does not benefit from real-world pricing. Only the vendor.
3. PD did not need to plaster Hagerty all over for advertisement. Could have kept the insurance company behind the scenes and made up a fictional one.

So it's sorta cool, but it's also like what's the value for me as a player? How do I benefit from this? It doesn't seem to be a feature implemented with players in mind. Needs work.

I kinda like the idea in principle. However, there are a few things that make it problematic in implementation:

1. There is no trading of cars in-game.
2. The player does not benefit from real-world pricing. Only the vendor.
This idea would feel better suited if there was a market place or auction house for players to actually sell cars at, therefore, especially on the lower end of vehicles, they have options on whether to buy from the Used Cars for pre-2002 stuff, or from the auction house, and likewise, the fluctuations in prices for the Legend Cars would make sense. Removing the hard 20 mil credit cap would also do wonders in that regard.

As it stands now? It's a mind-numbing decision, and really shows that 'immersion' and realism sometimes should not mix with general gameplay elements unless it can make sense within the framework of the game.

I mean. The game was selling itself with the idea that it was a return back to form of numbered GTs. Heck, it even advertised with nostalgia on its back. Still though. GT7 doesn't need to be more grindy than it already is right now, especially to make these kinds of cars rare.
Yeah and still, has EVERYTHING to be nostalgic?
This isn’t Best of Gran Turismo, this is Gran Turismo 7, it’s still a new iteration in the games series, it still does new things, is it really necessary to point this out?

I just bought my first legends car....as soon as the dealership unlocked. I had the money (didn't even get the preorder bonus) for a cheap one, and one of my favorites
Edit - it was $162000

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_165042_487.jpg
    IMG_20220305_165042_487.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Are you not going to be playing this game constantly for the next five years, doing a dozen or more daily races and lobby races per week, earning credits every time, and being gifted cars constantly so you'll hardly ever need to actually buy anything? Do you want to be able to afford every today or what? How will you feel about the game years from now if you can touch every corner of it by the end of the week? This is exactly the type of have-it-now mentality that I was talking about.
I know a few people who have played GT Sport non stop since release day, have done thousands of races online, and they have never driven any of the 10-20 million cars (or reached Level 50 for that matter). Playing this game normally isn't going to net you enough credits to buy all the cars within a reasonable timeframe, trust me. Yes there is a chance you can get lucky from the roulette, but it's not guaranteed, so it's not a fair playing ground for everyone.

I spent a whole year in GT Sport just doing the same race (BMB Premium Lounge) over and over again just to buy all the cars. One whole year. Not doing anything else. Don't know about you but that's not a mentally stimulating gameplay if you ask me. I checked your profile on kudosprime and you've only bought 33 cars in 100 game days, so you can't possibly understand how mind numbing that is.

In Assetto Corsa everything is unlocked from day 1 and I don't miss the grinding aspect. You can drive anything, anywhere, do whatever you want. You keep coming back because the driving experience is fantastic, not because you have are obligated a second job to fill your virtual garage. That's what driving games should be.

Alright guys, forget the anger against microtransactions being in the game and enjoy GT7 as it is, I see it coming:

Ladies & Gentlemen, this right here might lead the way to GT8 NFTs.
Unfortunately I can see this becoming the next step for games after lootboxes/MTs/preorder bonuses.

Imagine the 250 GTO being limited to 36 units in game as in real life. First come first serve. You can sell it to other players at an auction house at whatever price you desire. Enjoy feeling poor in game as you do in real life. Now that's realism :banghead:

I like the fact that certain cars are not easy to acquire in the game. What I don't like is the grinding that probably comes with it, but that it is a different discussion.

That said, making the cars more accessible, like some people here suggest, is counter productive. It cheapens the fun and it is not rewarding. Getting an F50 for golding a license test in a Mazda Demio doesnt sound right...

Notice how people talk about hard games for years because they are hard (e.g. Dark Souls)? Notice how literally no one ever talks about easy games? There is a reason for that, and the reason is that mastering something that's hard is more fun than going through something so easy it becomes a quasi passive experience that will bore everyone after a few hours.
Is GT hard though it just a chore? Grinding doesnt equal hard, maybe challenging the patience perhaps.

First of all, are we sure that PDI is going to accurately price historic cars in accordance to IRL market? Or all of this is just a marketing gibberish that means absolutely nothing?

I'm not sure how grindy is GT7 so far since I'm still very early in the game but if it's anything like what people are saying over here then that's going to be very problematic.

Honestly, they really should bump up the rewards to acceptable levels. Not necessarily to the point where the game throws billions at you for doing absolutely jack **** (forza horizon 4 says hi) but something close to that. Sure, some might argue about ruining the progression system but screw it.

Last edited:
Everyone is calling Hagerty the worst thing ever introduced to Gran Turismo 7, meanwhile right now on my game, Legend Cars is selling the Ford Mark IV Race Previously a 20 million dollar car for 4.6 Million. Maybe it’s not as bad as we thought it was? 🤔

But I do agree though, the rewards do need an improvement.

Last edited:
Does it encourage immersion? I think yes. So I'm for it.
No it doesn't! First, we are not multi-trillionaires who can afford cars for 20-40 mio. $ / €. 2nd, its called a "Driving simulation" not a "multi-trillionaire-simulation", and the winning prices are ridioulsly low! I can not make money like this guys in real world in the game. 3rd. I don't want to spend hours of my live just to get a 2-3 mio. car.

So, I'm totaly against it!

Also saw the gt40 mark 4 for 4,6 mil, witch is a lot less than gt sport, i have only progressed to about book 24, the money earning is ok its starting to get higher, the game is very good in my opinion huge step up from gt sport, i love the extra detail, cars look even better, and you can make the cars sound fantastic with racing silencer

This Hagerty thing is for the Legend cars only, so these are all the extreme examples. They're all in exactly the same rarity category, if not rarer.

Back