Gran Turismo 7 PS5 Pro Update: 8K Graphics, Real-Time Ray-Tracing On Track

• Thread starter Famine
  • 182 comments
Well, yes, it was a PS5 Pro showcase, but I believe all the games were Sony’s own first-party games, so they might as well had gone all in.

The GT7 segment honestly gave me more GT Sport flashbacks than GT7 vibes. The Playstation business has been struggling lately, and it’s not hard to identify where Sony Computer Entertainment lacks brilliance.
You won't get much argument from me. As a PSVR2 owner and big fan of their first party titles, I agree that the PS5 generation has been seemingly rudderless.

We're deep into the second console generation where this mentality has largely been moot. Sony has to deal with the same market realities that Microsoft does no matter how many rakes Phil Spencer steps on.
Sony makes money on Playstation because every game on Playstation has to pay Sony. Without a Playstation, Sony won't make money.

If the Playstation ceases to be, SCE will cease to be. GT will cease to be.

there is a mode already that you can use and that is 4K120 VRR but with unlocked FPS which base PS5 goes average 90 FPS

and with Pro it has to be 120 fps for most of the time if not locked
There's some kind of VRR that causes my TV not to display while the PSVR2 is running. It was supposed to enable something for VR but I didn't notice a difference. I turned it off so if the wife walks in she can look at the screen and see a little of the race action.
Yes, that is without tax. And have no fear, us Americans have to pay tax on it as well (the % depends on the state and county one lives in*). Difficult to quantify a number for the whole country but I'd venture between 6%-10%.

*In a few states they do not have sales tax. However, if they don't get you with the left they'll get you with the right, and to make up for it there's an increase in income tax. There are a lucky few that live close enough to a non-sales-tax-state - but their primary address is in a different state - such they can travel across state boarders to buy products and not pay sales tax. But, that is the exception.

Death and taxes and all that...
I'm one of those who won't be paying the sales tax. My state charges it but I have a personal exemption. It will help offset the $880 for a Pro, a disc drive, and an add on SSD. I wish I could opt out of the controller, I have five of them already.

At any rate if there's nothing yet for VR, I may wait. I don't own even a 4K screen. I might eventually, but not between now and Christmas. I had considered putting the PS5 disc model in my living room and later buying a flat screen, this would give us Blu Ray and 4K capability in there. There will, however, be a PS5 in my game room.
I wonder when this is all gonna turn out like the 32X did. I'm one of the few who would buy a Pro and keep the PS5 Disc Edition both for collector's value. Give it 20 years and I will be one of the few with a fully working PS5 Fatboy with no stripe on the side.
I will be buying the optical drive and if it can use one, an add on internal SSD. Those will let me load games and transfer saves long after console support has ended.
That reminds me...to get around the 2GB save file limit, use custom firmware. The PS5 is the first disc console to offer everything I've wanted without needing a hack, namely the ability to insert the game disc once to install then not needing it anymore to play. My game discs sit on a shelf in their retail cases after that.

I hope 2 things can come sometime in the future:
1. Quick toggle on/off of the HUD while in race (a button press). This is especially useful for those with OLED screens that do not want to risk burn in.
2. HUD customization. There are some cars that while on the chase cam you get the clock obstructing the view. I do not understand why the clock is so low on the screen. It could've been higher, or let us move it a little bit up...

Sony makes money on Playstation because every game on Playstation has to pay Sony. Without a Playstation, Sony won't make money.

If the Playstation ceases to be, SCE will cease to be. GT will cease to be.

That's strange because they've in fact released two Gran Turismo games since SCE ceased to be.

Last edited:
I'm one of those who won't be paying the sales tax. My state charges it but I have a personal exemption. It will help offset the $880 for a Pro, a disc drive, and an add on SSD. I wish I could opt out of the controller, I have five of them already.
An exemption from sales tax? I've never heard of such a thing. More power to you!

That's strange because they've in fact released two Gran Turismo games since SCE ceased to be.
GoW was released well after it's debut on PS, essentially after it has done it's job. Call SCE whatever you want, it's still Sony's game division, and it exists to drive the sale of Playstations.

Again, we're all here talking about the new PS5 pro and whether we'd buy it (I likely will). Also evidence of GT8 coming down the pipe was the recent 1.49 update. Earlier GT's have had similar updates that foreshadow the new release...now, when it it come? I don't know, but will it come? Likely, as long as Playstations keep selling.

Will GT8 be out on PC and PS5 at the same time? I'd bet my life that it will be a PS5 exclusive.

Yes, that is without tax. And have no fear, us Americans have to pay tax on it as well (the % depends on the state and county one lives in*). Difficult to quantify a number for the whole country but I'd venture between 6%-10%.

*In a few states they do not have sales tax. However, if they don't get you with the left they'll get you with the right, and to make up for it there's an increase in income tax. There are a lucky few that live close enough to a non-sales-tax-state - but their primary address is in a different state - such they can travel across state boarders to buy products and not pay sales tax. But, that is the exception.

Death and taxes and all that...
Of course, if you brag about that, they'll nail you for not paying the use tax required to legally import the product.

GoW was released well after it's debut on PS, essentially after it has done it's job. Call SCE whatever you want, it's still Sony's game division, and it exists to drive the sale of Playstations.

Again, we're all here talking about the new PS5 pro and whether we'd buy it (I likely will). Also evidence of GT8 coming down the pipe was the recent 1.49 update. Earlier GT's have had similar updates that foreshadow the new release...now, when it it come? I don't know, but will it come? Likely, as long as Playstations keep selling.

Will GT8 be out on PC and PS5 at the same time? I'd bet my life that it will be a PS5 exclusive.
With the disc drive it'll be close to $1000 CAD. That's PC money!

Also evidence of GT8 coming down the pipe was the recent 1.49 update. Earlier GT's have had similar updates that foreshadow the new release...now, when it it come? I don't know, but will it come? Likely, as long as Playstations keep selling.
Uh, no? What?

...I must be the only one here who actually wants RT in-game... o_o

The other RT features could also be possible if they utilize the AI upscaling well.

I'd consider a PS5 Pro if it allowed for more cars to race against (appreciate not online, due to backwards compatibility).

Being able to run a 30 car grid would be great and open up some great multi-class racing opportunities.

I know it won't happen, but I can dream :P
I don't think they can change a gameplay feature like that on PS5 Pro, for parity reasons. It does seem that PD has been planning to go beyond 20 (or 24) for quite a while, though; Saint-Croix has 32 grid slots (and 32 bike grid slots :(), I'm fairly sure other new GT Originals have 32 or more as well. Futureproofing for GT8! Or 9...

The GT7 footage from the presentation isn’t very good. It’s focusing on base game content from 2022. Not ideal if you want to appeal to players who haven’t touched the game since it was released. I also think they should have avoided the chase camera footage. It’s so stiff and it makes the game look 20 years older than it is.
I think they should've focused more on it in place of TLOU, personally. How many times has that franchise updated its games to showcase new graphics for a new console? 2, 3 now?

GT is a first party game w/ devs hyper focused on details; would've been a great candidate to show off the PS5 Pro assuming PD is going to do more than just improve ray-tracing.

I don't think they can change a gameplay feature like that on PS5 Pro, for parity reasons. It does seem that PD has been planning to go beyond 20 (or 24) for quite a while, though; Saint-Croix has 32 grid slots (and 32 bike grid slots :(), I'm fairly sure other new GT Originals have 32 or more as well. Futureproofing for GT8! Or 9...
Yeah, I noticed this a while back and counted the slots on some of the circuits out of curiosity until I got bored. High Speed Ring had 30, Trial Mountain had 40, Grand Valley Highway had 21, 30 for Deep Forest, 32 at Kyoto Driving Park, and 30 at Sardegna. Hopefully we'll see them utilized for GT8.

"Welcome to my world, I'm not sure I can repeat this part here"

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Hey, instead of a Corvette C7, you could buy a PS5 Pro instead.

I was waiting for the PS5 Pro, for better ray-tracing, and RT in ACTUAL GAMEPLAY GUYS, C'MON, or at least so I could get a base PS5 discounted, but I guess it's gonna take a few decades for people to be able to afford that thing here, so there goes that. Might get a used PS4 Pro instead, it's not like there's any games on new-gen that are interesting anyway (well, except maybe GTA VI, but I can wait for the PC version, so I can mod back in, like, half of the GTA V they're probably going to remove from it).

Also helps to not give them this victory. The PS4 was like, what, the third generation where the better graphics/specs made for the best selling console in the end? We had SNES, PS4.. just two really, right? Everything else was, PS1, PS2, Wii, even the Switch now is doing pretty good too for being a portable with great first-party games (the PS4 only wins if you count the Switch in the portables category instead right?). I can admit that even though I never owned one.

Well at least the ps5 pro is going to get rid of those god awful frame rate drops in trial mountain just you head into the tunnel and out the other end! Surely that’s worth £700?1 🤷‍♂️

GoW was released well after it's debut on PS, essentially after it has done it's job.
I like how you're just making it clear that you never actually read my original response beyond the part you quoted. God of War is not a live service game. The current CEO of the division has gone out of his way to separate Sony's various Sad Dad games from their live service titles with regards to their PC strategy. Gran Turismo is now a live service franchise, as Polyphony Digital has been trying to make it since 2006; and we know Polyphony Digital is not categorized internally as being the same type of developer as Naughty Dog/Insomniac/Sucker Punch whose games Sony explicitly considers worth having exclusivity windows for.

And when SIE are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on multiple live service games at once after having spent more money than likely every Gran Turismo game's development costs combined to buy Bungie, there's no reason in 2024 to assume Gran Turismo is a sacred cow among live service games that somehow would benefit from having less people to buy and play and spend additional money on. PD (and Gran Turismo by extension) are not the king 🤬 developer they were when they were the biggest fish in the Playstation pond and their games cost the most money to make but sold the most and made the most. I daresay, even, that Gran Turismo does not sell Playstations like The Last of Us does.
Call SCE whatever you want, it's still Sony's game division, and it exists to drive the sale of Playstations.
You don't know what you're talking about, to be frank. Your understanding of how SIE operates dates back to when SCE was so focused on Playstation as a brand that they were dumping divisions of the company just because the games they made weren't Playstation exclusive. The corporate entity you're talking about stopped existing 8 years ago. The one that replaced it is run in a different way in a different country with different corporate oversight and different integration into Sony as a whole; and we know that in internal documents it thinks the way it operated then is no longer sustainable.

Sony does not use Playstation as a brand to boost corporate synergy like they did throughout the PS3 generation. Herman Hulst does not care if you buy a Bravia to play The Last of Us before loading up your 4K Blu Ray version of Morbius that you went to see in theaters both times. Sony uses Playstation as an instrument to make money, and the fact of the matter is that they have concluded (just like Microsoft has) that they will make more money selling games to people who won't buy Playstations than they will only to people who buy Playstations. That's why Playstation hardware is no longer sold at a loss while trying to make it up on the back end elsewhere. That's why SIE are publishing games on PC in the first place. That's why they are publishing some games on PC on the same day that a Playstation version comes out. That's why they are working on games that are going to be on Switch. That's why they did a complete 180 on their PS4-era stances on crossplay. That's why even with unquestionable sales advantage compared to Microsoft they still took a hatchet to their studios earlier this year.
Unlike Microsoft Sony would much rather you play their games on Playstation, hence the exclusivity window for single player games and the laughable pipe dream that PC only players would buy them on PC years later and then buy a PS5 to play the sequels; but they would absolutely prefer to get money from you anyway if you have no interest in a Playstation. Helldivers 2 selling 12 million copies in 4 months hasn't made them change their mind.
I think it would be a shame for you to have to kill yourself in response to someone saying no more affirmative a statement than "No one should be surprised if Sony continues their current explicitly outlined corporate strategy," but everyone responds to being wrong about things differently I guess.

Last edited:
typical youtuber calling it scam lol , if Pro is scam then what was the Apple cheesegrater? :D
yes you seeing it right its $52K 🤪
Apple have been notoriously worse for there so called "PRO" moniker devices like the Iphone and Mac Pro, which are never used in Pro workstations enviroments, horribly overpriced to the moon, and anybody who buys them are frankily silly and dumb lol.

I never liked the Apple cheesegrater as it never cut my god damn gouda cheese.

Sony are kind emulating apple, having done the same thing, as nikteks video jokingly showed, the Ps5 Pro being a new grater with some added vents and a bad design off the slim variant, it does need to hark a £250-300 quid price hike?

Inflation, yeh more like Sony-flation.

No thanks mate. :D

Last edited:
ZEE
Sony are kind emulating apple, having done the same thing, as nikteks video jokingly showed, the Ps5 Pro being a new grater with some added vents and a bad design off the slim variant, it does need to hark a £250-300 quid price hike?

Inflation, yeh more like Sony-flation.

No thanks mate. :D
Sony always had premium prices for premium products thats nothing new
most people are baffled that for that price you dont get the disc drive maybe Sony made too many standalone disc drives that didnt sell and that's why they decided to do this way? who knows

Last edited:
pUoOCwo.jpg

Back