Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,624 comments
ACC is a more realistic game than GT7 but it's not a complete disaster to play. I'm happy that PD is improving the physics because it makes things better for everyone. More information is relayed back to the driver, allowing them to get a better idea of what's going on underneath and make better decisions. At least that's what should happen when the physics don't do their own thing.

Last edited:
So you think PD were always striving for what GT7 is since the update, but only right now figured out how to do it?

Hot take if you ask me.

I think they knew exactly what and where they were on the racing game spectrum and felt right at home there.

They haven't been more realistic than their competition nor have they tried to be since the PS3 generation IMO.

Where we are today represents a shift and not an evolution.
I think the hot take is you thinking that GT, or anyone, isn't continually striving to do better and improve what they do.

If that were true you should have left after update number one... I guess you suppose we were clearly all better off living in caves, clubbing our dinner, and dying at the ripe old age of 34 too.

GT has always been about bringing realism and automotive culture to the masses, so much so that it was a revolutionary franchise that did just that when others weren't.

Have there been more realistic titles since their debut? Sure... but that doesn't mean they can't bring more realism to the masses as well, as has been their goal from the outset.

Your opinion goes against the very fabric of what GT is. You're just yelling into the ether now.

Last edited:
I think the hot take is you thinking that GT, or anyone, isn't continually striving to do better and improve what they do.

If that were true you should have left after update number one... we were clearly all better off living in caves, clubbing our dinner, and dying at the ripe old age of 34.
Again grossly misrepresenting what I'm saying.

You're not arguing in good faith.

This has run its course.

Again grossly misrepresenting what I'm saying.

You're not arguing in good faith.

This has run its course.
Not at all. Nothing I said misrepresents anything you stated at all. I'm taking your viewpoint to extremes for emphasis, but I'm not conflating anything.

You're not comfy in the game anymore, and I stated earlier that you're well entitled to that point, but that doesn't preclude me from debating them or disagreeing in the strongest sense.

The only way the debate has run it's course if if you feel that you've exhausted any way to make a salient argument.

I took a bone stock FT-86 to the ring early on in the update and found it to be wonderful. I don't see how you now can't do the same.

Some of these hyperbolic and dramatic posts are hilarious... and kinda sad.

People not liking the update because it's more realistic is a super weird take. Why would you actually want a driving game to stray farther from reality to appease some weird preference for "easy" driving? It's literally labeled the "Real Driving Simulator". Should anyone expect PD to not aim for realism?!

That all avoids the fact that cars are still very easy to drive in the game. Even easier than before. If you have problems gently cruising a 450PP car around the Ring while listening to the latest episode of This American Life then there are bigger issues afoot.

I think a LOT of people need to slow down, take it easier, and figure things out. The game is now objectively better. It's not really up for much debate either, the core players, fast competitors, alien TT'ers and those of us with real world experience almost universally think so. The vast majority of us are having a great time, wheel or controller. It may take a little bit to re-adjust... it took me a minute too. But these "it's broken/dead/over" comments are just nonsense.

And I'm sorry, I appreciate that lots of people find it entertaining, but if you use Forza Horizon as any kind of a metric for fun driving physics then all you're doing is letting us know that your opinion on the way a car acts can't be trusted.
I can’t express how much I appreciate and agree with this post.
I understand it's your preference, and you're free to express it, but GT has always been about being more realistic than its competitors in all generations. Their goals of being a driving "simulator" dictates that they continue to progress towards that goal. People have lambasted them for not being sim enough for years now, but that doesn't change their goals of chasing realism, and this update clearly moves the franchise in that direction.

I'm sorry you feel different, but I fear your want for a more casual game is likely to be found elsewhere.

So you think PD were always striving for what GT7 is since the update, but only right now figured out how to do it?

Hot take if you ask me.

I think they knew exactly what and where they were on the racing game spectrum and felt right at home there.

They haven't been more realistic than their competition nor have they tried to be since the PS3 generation IMO.

Where we are today represents a shift and not an evolution.

If that were true you should have left after update number one... I guess you suppose we were clearly all better off living in caves, clubbing our dinner, and dying at the ripe old age of 34 too.

GT has always been about bringing realism and automotive culture to the masses, so much so that it was a revolutionary franchise that did just that when others weren't.

Have there been more realistic titles since their debut? Sure... but that doesn't mean they can't bring more realism to the masses as well, as has been their goal from the outset.

Your opinion goes against the very fabric of what GT is. You're just yelling into the ether now.
I’m not looking to insult anyone. I just believe it’s—as you did express—a personal preference. If someone doesn’t like this version as much, that’s valid. But presenting it at all like, why have they made ME have less fun, is kinda irrelevant. None of us know why it’s taken this long to bring the game closer to reality, but I’ll argue THAT question is more valid in retrospect than complaining that PD now has done so.

It’s entirely understandable the change has upended a lot of players’ understanding of what the handling is. It might take some time for a lot of people to adjust. But it’s exciting PD finally isn’t just standing pat and saying, welp, this is what GT is forever.

The fact is, the climate in racing sims has changed massively in the past decade. From equipment (wheels, pedals, now VR) to more people getting into the genre and playing and loving other sims and actually learning something about driving.

I’ve always maintained there’s no reason a realistic sim can’t also be accessible to casual players. It seems to me PD could be on course to proving that. I honestly struggle to see why the new physics—glitches and quirks that are bound to be patched aside—should be “less fun” to anyone remotely interested in a game that’s at all realistic. And if that’s the case for some people, then there are plenty of other options. But anything representing itself as a real driving simulator shouldn’t be sitting still in that regard as the technological capabilities behind these games improve.

I can’t express how much I appreciate and agree with this post.

I’m not looking to insult anyone. I just believe it’s—as you did express—a personal preference. If someone doesn’t like this version as much, that’s valid. But presenting it at all like, why have they made ME have less fun, is kinda irrelevant. None of us know why it’s taken this long to bring the game closer to reality, but I’ll argue THAT question is more valid in retrospect than complaining that PD now has done so.

It’s entirely understandable the change has upended a lot of players’ understanding of what the handling is. It might take some time for a lot of people to adjust. But it’s exciting PD finally isn’t just standing pat and saying, welp, this is what GT is forever.

The fact is, the climate in racing sims has changed massively in the past decade. From equipment (wheels, pedals, now VR) to more people getting into the genre and playing and loving other sims and actually learning something about driving.

I’ve always maintained there’s no reason a realistic sim can’t also be accessible to casual players. It seems to me PD could be on course to proving that. I honestly struggle to see why the new physics—glitches and quirks that are bound to be patched aside—should be “less fun” to anyone remotely interested in a game that’s at all realistic. And if that’s the case for some people, then there are plenty of other options. But anything representing itself as a real driving simulator shouldn’t be sitting still in that regard as the technological capabilities behind these games improve.
Suggesting that people who enjoyed GT for decades and preferred how the game felt like a week ago (and for years before that) should just go look for other options is honestly a bit toxic and condescending.

Let me flip that around. What made YOU stick with GT for all this time even though the handling was more casual? Why didn't you look for other options?

As I said - I play a couple of racing games and all have their place for me. I play Forza Horizon, but I also play a lot (A LOT) of ACC.

I'm not against more realism per se, It's just not what I want out of GT and also not what GT has been for years and years.

GT was the definition of a simcade and in my opinion it did that beautifully.

Last edited:
Suggesting that people who enjoyed GT for decades and preferred how the game felt like a week ago (and for years before that) should just go look for other options is honestly a bit toxic and condescending.

Let me flip that around. What made YOU stick with GT for all this time even though the handling was more casual? Why didn't you look for other options?

As I said - I play a couple of racing games and all have their place for me. I play Forza Horizon, but I also play a lot (A LOT) of ACC.

I'm not against more realism per se, It's just not what I want out of GT and also not what GT has been for years and years.

I already said I wasn’t looking to insult you or anyone who feels the way you do, so apologies if you want to take it or feel as though it’s condescending or toxic. From the jump, I’ve been coming at this discussion from a philosophical angle, not personal preference per se, even if I do prefer it the new way.

To your question, I never said the old way was bad let alone trash. I stick with GT because it’s always been mostly good enough for me, and also because it’s the only such game available to me as a console player. I don’t have spare room in my house for a PC and the driving rig I want to and do have. I won’t bore you with the logistical and other details of all that. Also, I only play it in VR now. Before that, I had in fact switched to ACC but that game is obviously extremely narrow in scope, even if race cars are my preference when it comes to sim driving.

This is likely the last post I’m making to you on this topic because you seem to be taking it personally and that’s the opposite of where I’m coming from.

My main point is that when you or anyone says GT was a certain way for years and years, and you prefer it that way, I again respect that … but it’s irrelevant if PD aspires to improve on it being a “Real Driving Simulator.” Which it has done and makes a lot of sense from the other point of view here. And frankly you’re sounding like the game and handling is suddenly insanely different. It’s not. I fail to see why you can no longer cruise around listening to podcasts etc.

If you can’t learn the new way—which I’m sure you quickly can—or still just don’t like it, fair enough. But I don’t find that to be a valid objective criticism or analysis of the physics and changes, which is all I and some others here are saying we are concerned with. Like I said, PD or anyone else can never win across the board. But standing still in today’s sim racing climate would be foolish on any developer’s part. These are nuanced changes and a long way from being an entirely different game.

Last edited:
I don't even get what the negativity would be about. Drove about 15 cars since the update. Non was bugged so far so just experienced the new physics with Controller. I see a difference but not much. So how did it even change to be "too hard". Some corner exit oversteers are hard(er) to catch but you learn that after some tries. That's it for me.

To be honest I have never really considered GT's core handling to ever be 'simcade' - it has always been marketed as a simulator and historically every installment has taken a step towards realism compared to it's predecessor, and now with games being more live service orientated we're just seeing these evolutions in updates instead of new games entirely.

It's fundamentally the same, anything emulating reality converges in on one style, and GT7 is now just a bit closer to that style in the same way that other sims are converging in on it. Literally the only thing I have changed driving wise is that I brake a bit softer; the actual feel of the cars and tyres have improved far far more than the fundamental ways to drive have.

The whole "Oh I don't like that GT is stepping away from what it always was and said it was" is really weird to me when GT has always marketed itself as a simulator and was the one simulator with an actual dedicated program that had the goal of bringing people from GT to reality. I see it a lot around here, where people just kind of make up their own realities and then get annoyed that the game doesn't live up to the thing they made up.

The whole "Oh I don't like that GT is stepping away from what it always was and said it was" is really weird to me when GT has always marketed itself as a simulator and was the one simulator with an actual dedicated program that had the goal of bringing people from GT to reality. I see it a lot around here, where people just kind of make up their own realities and then get annoyed that the game doesn't live up to the thing they made up.

I don’t think it’s that hard to wrap your head around, no?

I don’t think I or anybody is annoyed because GT isn’t something we made up. (Whatever that’s supposed to mean)

I’m not even annoyed.

I just preferred it the way it was before.

Whenever anything changes some people will like it and some people won’t.

Simple as that. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think it’s that hard to wrap your head around, no?

I don’t think I or anybody is annoyed because GT isn’t something we made up. (Whatever that’s supposed to mean)

I’m not even annoyed.

I just preferred it the way it was before.

Whenever anything changes some people will like it and some people won’t.

Simple as that. 🤷‍♂️
You're going on about GT being "happy where they were" and that they "haven't tried to be more realistic" lol - it's a load of nonsense you've just made up. They've constantly marketed themselves as a simulator and constantly evolved towards realism in every game and every significant physics update in 7. I don't recall ever seeing anything from PD that has indicated GT isn't trying to be as realistic as other sims when it comes to driving.

I don't recall ever seeing anything from PD that has indicated GT isn't trying to be as realistic as other sims when it comes to driving.

But they never were. So either they cracked the code just now and didn’t know what they were doing for the last couple of years or they intentionally tuned the game to be a certain way and are going a different path now.

I believe it’s the latter.

But they never were. So either they cracked the code just now and didn’t know what they were doing for the last couple of years or they intentionally tuned the game to be a certain way and are going a different path now.

I believe it’s the latter.
Have you seen the game we're playing? PD not being able to nail down what they're trying to do is like the least unusual thing possible. The game is full of weird design and gameplay decisions that suggest they have no idea what they're doing hahaha.

As I said anyway though, I think it was always converging on this direction, and to me it wasn't far off anyway. The only driving change I've made is with braking so I don't lock the wheels under heavy braking, and everything else I tackle in the same way, which is also the same as I'd tackle it in other sims. Braking in GT7 beforehand was the only thing that was really drastically different from other sims, because you'd always brake hard and brake late, and with that addressed I essentially drive identical in GT7 as I do in iRacing.

The best way I can describe my overall dissatisfaction with the new physics is the way in which the whole car now feels glued to the road. With the old physics I could feel every wheel as four separate contact points between rubber and track surface. It made the driving feel so nuanced. Not anymore. Now the entire underbody of the car feels glued to the road, and I’m not sensing different loads between the four wheels.

Moreover, the transition from grip to sliding has become more sudden and unpredictable. This was a big complaint back when the game first got released. Later on they improved it, but now the problem has returned. The issue is especially prominent in cars like the BMW M2. This car always had an urge to bite, but it was manageable enough. With the new physics it just feels too sudden and weird.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, looking at all the posts complaining about the new physics. I keep thinking, "Are we playing the same game?" From my point of view, most everything is better. From feedback (through the wheel), to better weight distribution/transfer, to more realistic braking (i.e LESS on rails, not more on rails, as some have said).
Maybe it’s different input devices that make us wonder if we’re playing the same game. Or different choices in go-to tires? I’m not using a wheel and I spend most of my time in road cars on sports tires. I largely disagree with the things you’re pointing out there.

Feedback through the controller seems slightly worse to me. Maybe it’s a placebo because the physics are so different.

Weight distribution is a doubled-edged sword for me. Modern MR cars have become more stable during off-throttle cornering, which seems more believable than before. However, left/right weight distribution during cornering feels dull with the new physics. Maybe it’s because of the grippier tires.

Braking is still flawed. Cars can lose balance too easily and this has been an issue since day one. For some reason people have pointed it out as a new issue, but it’s not. That said, cars have become more resistant to changing direction under hard braking, which I suppose is more realistic.

The only thing that seems vastly improved to me is how cars now get unsettled when you hit taller curbs hard at an odd angle. You didn’t mention that.

Last edited:
My gently tweaked 89 M3 Evo now can’t even brake in a straight line without wanting to rotate. It’s just so weird and unpredictable
Weight transfer is the cause, the springs are weak or your dampers are too strong in the expansion (45s?)

The best way I can describe my overall dissatisfaction with the new physics is the way in which the whole car now feels glued to the road. With the old physics I could feel every wheel as four separate contact points between rubber and track surface. It made the driving feel so nuanced. Not anymore. Now the entire underbody of the car feels glued to the road, and I’m not sensing different loads between the four wheels.

Moreover, the transition from grip to sliding has become more sudden and unpredictable. This was a big complaint back when the game first got released. Later on they improved it, but now the problem has returned. The issue is especially prominent in cars like the BMW M2. This car always had an urge to bite, but it was manageable enough. With the new physics it just feels too sudden and weird.

Maybe it’s different input devices that make us wonder if we’re playing the same game. Or different choices in go-to tires? I’m not using a wheel and I spend most of my time in road cars on sports tires. I largely disagree with the things you’re pointing out there.

Feedback through the controller seems slightly worse to me. Maybe it’s a placebo because the physics are so different.

Weight distribution is a doubled-edged sword for me. Modern MR cars have become more stable during off-throttle cornering, which seems more believable than before. However, left/right weight distribution during cornering feels dull with the new physics. Maybe it’s because of the grippier tires.

Braking is still flawed. Cars can lose balance too easily and this has been an issue since day one. For some reason people have pointed it out as a new issue, but it’s not. That said, cars have become more resistant to changing direction under hard braking, which I suppose is more realistic.

The only thing that seems vastly improved to me is how cars now get unsettled when you hit taller curbs hard at an odd angle. You didn’t mention that.
As I said before, I really think it's a driving style issue. I use a controller, and a wheel, and I'm sorry bud.... but I really think you're WAY off base with your analysis. Cars move MORE under braking (which they should!!!) . Not less. Feedback through the controller is quite a bit better (I have played with a controller since GT1). Furthermore, I also spend the majority of my time with road cars. Road cars are the most improved, in my opinion. I'll say it again, if you have problem areas (driving style), the new physics seem to punish that more, than before the update. Hence why 90% of fast drivers all seem to agree the physics are a big improvement. A smooth realistic driving style (insert Jackie Stewart quote here) makes for a smooth transition into the new physics. An aggressive style, makes for an aggressive response from the car. Everything I've seen thus far (with regards to update 1.49 physics complaints) has led me to this conclusion. The game has been nudged just a hair more towards realism, and it's honestly not even a huge difference. It's just a lot of very little tweaks, that apparently have shone a light on individual driver weaknesses, more than anything else....lol

I don't see why it would be difficult for anyone to adapt to the changes. I was a rather aggressive driver pre-1.49, but it took me all of 10 minutes to adapt to using smoother inputs. Either I'm a fast learner, or the physics changes are not as drastic as some make them out to be.

I definitely had trouble with the Ferrari in that last time trial - something I'd probably attribute to the default time for that car - but overall as a casual-ish player I love the new physics.

Anyway I just came into the thread to say PD should add the Eiger Nordwand dirt courses from previous games. Might as well lean into the rally side a little more, right?

Last edited:
Anyway I just came into the thread to say PD should add the Eiger Nordwand dirt courses from previous games. Might as well lean into the rally side a little more, right?

I couldn't agree more. The K-Trail was one of my favourite courses. However, some other members have pointed out, some of the connecting roads (leading to the other layouts) are missing, or vastly changed, as to not line up with how the old layouts connected with each other. Indicating there are not other layouts necessarily planned. At least, not how the originals were, anyway. This isn't to say they can't be added anyway, and PD chose to be more coy about it, and hide the evidence. This just seems less likely to me. I hope I'm wrong, though. Boy Howdy, would I be happy to have K-Trail back, or Grand Canyon, or Tahiti Maze, or Chamonix, etc... Now that the physics have improved the rally experience (I absolutely LOVE Fisherman's Ranch. I HATED it before the update) I'm really wanting for more rally tracks. Sliding around in the dirt/snow (in PSVR2), with the new physics, is a hell of a lot of fun. Using your side windows as a windscreen, while trying to connect perfect slides, into big "yumps", in gorgeous environments. What's not to love?

The way the game felt a week ago wasn't how GT-Sport felt, and GT-Sport didn't feel like GT6 etc etc.

I think we are at a point where the way the game feels with the new physics is 100% individual, some find it easy, some thinks it's harder and added realism. Imho the different opinions is for a huge part based on driving style, i am finding some aspects easier and having to adjust to that to get better times, and some, like turning into corners require a different style than i used to. I am sure that others feel the exact opposite, and they would be right..

As I said before, I really think it's a driving style issue. I use a controller, and a wheel, and I'm sorry bud.... but I really think you're WAY off base with your analysis.
There’s no point in saying that my experience is “way off”. I have formed my opinion and you have formed yours. Equally valid.
Cars move MORE under braking (which they should!!!) . Not less.
I haven’t said cars move less under braking, so I’m not sure why you’re using this point as a counterargument.
Feedback through the controller is quite a bit better (I have played with a controller since GT1). Furthermore, I also spend the majority of my time with road cars. Road cars are the most improved, in my opinion. I'll say it again, if you have problem areas (driving style), the new physics seem to punish that more, than before the update. Hence why 90% of fast drivers all seem to agree the physics are a big improvement. A smooth realistic driving style (insert Jackie Stewart quote here) makes for a smooth transition into the new physics. An aggressive style, makes for an aggressive response from the car.
No problems adapting my driving style to the new physics. Smooth transition for me. My complaint is how the new physics, in my opinion, feel less rewarding and satisfying.
Everything I've seen thus far (with regards to update 1.49 physics complaints) has led me to this conclusion. The game has been nudged just a hair more towards realism, and it's honestly not even a huge difference. It's just a lot of very little tweaks, that apparently have shone a light on individual driver weaknesses, more than anything else....lol
I’m not denying that some aspects of the physics have become more realistic. I acknowledged this in my previous post, but some things need more work because great things about the old physics have been neutralized. Again, refer to my previous post. Not related to driving style, as you seem to insist.

Also, I think PD will continue to tweak the physics in the next couple of updates. Currently there’s a massive bug causing cars to jump and fly under specific circumstances, so I’m not trusting the game too much until they have fixed it. It doesn’t appear to be a simple fix, so it wouldn’t surprise me if PD is reevaluating the new physics across the entire spectrum of changes. We may still have things to uncover.

I don't see why it would be difficult for anyone to adapt to the changes. I was a rather aggressive driver pre-1.49, but it took me all of 10 minutes to adapt to using smoother inputs. Either I'm a fast learner, or the physics changes are not as drastic as some make them out to be.
Enough with the misconception that physics-related complaints must be rooted in difficulties to adapt. I think most players are doing fine, but that doesn’t automatically mean the new physics don’t have flaws.

Last edited:
There’s no point in saying that my experience is “way off”. I have formed my opinion and you have formed yours. Equally valid.

I haven’t said cars move less under braking, so I’m not sure why you’re using this point as a counterargument.

No problems adapting my driving style to the new physics. Smooth transition for me. My complaint is how the new physics, in my opinion, feel less rewarding and satisfying.

I’m not denying that some aspects of the physics have become more realistic. I acknowledged this in my previous post, but some things need more work because great things about the old physics have been neutralized. Again, refer to my previous post. Not related to driving style, as you seem to insist.

Also, I think PD will continue to tweak the physics in the next couple of updates. Currently there’s a massive bug causing cars to jump and fly under specific circumstances, so I’m not trusting the game too much until they have fixed it. It doesn’t appear to be a simple fix, so it wouldn’t surprise me if PD is reevaluating the new physics across the entire spectrum of changes. We may still have things to uncover.

Enough with the misconception that physics-related complaints must be rooted in difficulties to adapt. I think most players are doing fine, but that doesn’t automatically mean the new physics don’t have flaws.
What wheel are you using?

I wasn't really sure where to put this, but apparently Sophy doesn't care to draft. Like... it would've won had it drafted for a second. Seems like a pretty basic aspect of racing to leave out of its programming.
This version of Sophy is slower than 3 Chilli AI, doesnt know about pitting (well, okay, not trained to do so, but 3 laps? ...) drives worse in terms of racecraft, but likes to spam emotes.

Touched a nerve, didn't I? Let me guess, because you can't adapt there now must be 'flaws' with the physics?

Last edited:
Touched a nerve, didn't I? Let me guess, because you can't adapt there now must be 'flaws' with the physics?
No, you did not. Like I said, it’s not a matter of adaption. I simply believe there were desirable physics traits in the previous build which have been compromised by the changes, and I explained what those traits were a couple of posts back. Realism may have improved in some areas, but I don’t think PD has sweetspotted the new physics. Maybe they will down the road.

I can only speak for myself, but the new physics aren’t radical enough to cause any noteworthy adaption challenges. If anything, ease of adaption made it straightforward to immediately notice what felt different, and thereby what I like and don’t like about the changes. However, I made sure to spend a week with the new physics before posting any feedback, because I didn’t want to jump to any conclusions too soon.
What wheel are you using?
DS4 with motion sensor controls. I’m having no issues with input. It works as good as it ever did.

Last edited:
Contentious topic. Doesn’t exactly bring out the best in people…

Anyway.

Spend another 3 hrs or so with the new physics in VR.

Pretty much across all classes.

Road cars are dead to me right now. I’m having 0 fun.

Race cars are a completely different story.

GT4 has become my favorite class. That’s the sweet spot for me. It’s just awesome.

I also noticed replays looking way more realistic in the way the cars move.

I think an “ABS - Strong” option would go a long way for road cars.

For race cars I keep it on weak and it feels good.

I just had a thought after doing a couple of daily races, first I did race A in the Subaru and the new dirt physics made that a blast, then I did race C in the Honda on Eiger and that track is so beautiful and a fun layout but you're not really sliding around the hairpins to be fast, so...

Cover Eiger Nordwand in snow and ice and release that variant as the Christmas DLC 🤯

Back