Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.49: Eiger Nordwand, Six New Cars, Physics Changes, & More

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,542 comments
Is it weird that I really want a trailer option? Something that could be painted up to match a car, even hooked up to a truck. Been thinking about this since I worked my High Life combo.

View attachment 1371797
I’d welcome this if we had a car show. Maybe you could run some laps. While others are running laps you could click on somebody’s name and go check out their car and trailer. A lot of the time I see some cool liveries and want a closer look but I forget until after the race. Would be nice to be able to click on the persons car thumbnail and it brings you to their car (and trailer haha) and you can walk around it.

So painful to realise that the chance of something like this happening is next to zero.
Maybe because it is too specific? Why not just standard Endurance races? And why locking cars behind those races? Maybe there will be endurance sophy races some day, PD is working on that according to one of interviews.

There is no punctures and won't be. There will maybe be more of a performance drop off. Not a problem, you just have to pit earlier if that's the case.

If it's easier to wear the tyres (I mean, wearing the tyres up until the drop-off point) I don't think it will be a good physics update. If you are on a cheap wheel or controller you are already quite disadvantaged by the current tyre wear across the lifespan of the tyre.

IMO the biggest issue is that there is a lack of feel in GT compared to other games ever since update 1.15 where they killed off the force feedback and it has felt inferior to GT Sport ever since. Cars just snap with no warning so it isn't like what they have right now is for the masses.

Also the tyres getting dirty is way overexaggerated compared to other games like ACC.

Hopefully the physics update is good, because the issue with the game isn't the lack of cars, it's the fact that so many cars just aren't that fun to drive, and the options are limited.

Eiger Nordwand was cartoonish and fun with shuffle racing, but it's going to suck with spec series or overtaking people as is. It might be enjoyable with the plodder AI because there's always corners so you're not bored, but if the physics update isn't up to scratch then anyone who plays online is going to be disappointed

Last edited:
Not DEAD in COMA...I said...
c538e1a36cdae7f382a712e70509baaf.gif

There is no punctures and won't be. There will maybe be more of a performance drop off. Not a problem, you just have to pit earlier if that's the case.

If it's easier to wear the tyres (I mean, wearing the tyres up until the drop-off point) I don't think it will be a good physics update. If you are on a cheap wheel or controller you are already quite disadvantaged by the current tyre wear across the lifespan of the tyre.

IMO the biggest issue is that there is a lack of feel in GT compared to other games ever since update 1.15 where they killed off the force feedback and it has felt inferior to GT Sport ever since. Cars just snap with no warning so it isn't like what they have right now is for the masses.

Also the tyres getting dirty is way overexaggerated compared to other games like ACC.

Hopefully the physics update is good, because the issue with the game isn't the lack of cars, it's the fact that so many cars just aren't that fun to drive, and the options are limited.

Eiger Nordwand was cartoonish and fun with shuffle racing, but it's going to suck with spec series or overtaking people as is. It might be enjoyable with the plodder AI because there's always corners so you're not bored, but if the physics update isn't up to scratch then anyone who plays online is going to be disappointed
Im a fairy critical and whiny regarding wheel ffb, catching slides, momentum and all of that good stuff. And while there is plenty of room to improve(and unnerf a few wheels).. in the interest of fairness, im catching many more slides over the past few weeks than i have in months.

Here is to hoping they improve it significantly!

„optimized” doesn’t feel like terminator sophy, but I do agree. PD should add very hard option with uncaged Sophy.
They should just give a slider and let us dial it up to full terminator Sophy mode or not. Project cars had sliders with difficulty and aggression.

Why Gran Turismo has always done the three levels (beginner, amateur, professional) is beyond me.

It’s difficult to find a good race because of that. Having to always detune our cars to try and balance things out. But then sometimes you have to tune up. It’s like you’ve gotta race something two or three times, make notes of what car you used, save a tune, write it down or make a mental note of what you found to ensure you have a good race… on that race only. Rinse and repeat for all other races.

Ideally, Sophy would adapt to each individual player. That’s asking for a lot. A slider going from 0% to 100% with 100% being almost impossible, is not.

Maybe because it is too specific? Why not just standard Endurance races? And why locking cars behind those races? Maybe there will be endurance sophy races some day, PD is working on that according to one of interviews.
Well, I don't know if it's specific or not, but those characteristics are what makes sportscar racing appealing. Takining them out is ruining them.

But it won't ever happen because the PD approach is always to try to dumb down the game: ever since the GT5, they are slowly removing anything that can be daunting to a casual player: so no discernible AI racing in most of the game, no endurance races, no qualifying, nothing that casual player might have a problem with it.

Well, I don't know if it's specific or not, but those characteristics are what makes sportscar racing appealing. Takining them out is ruining them.

But it won't ever happen because the PD approach is always to try to dumb down the game: ever since the GT5, they are slowly removing anything that can be daunting to a casual player: so no discernible AI racing in most of the game, no endurance races, no qualifying, nothing that casual player might have a problem with it.
Make them optional, or dependent on difficulty setting. Hard or a “realistic” setting should get things like Sophia AI with qualifying etc.

Making Sophy a Master Driver that just nails every corner is probably easy. Making Sophy a dynamic challenge is probably an whole other ball game. How do you make the computer good AND realistic but not too good? Im sure they're accounting for the fact that a lot of the request to make Sophy more challenging are coming from hubris.

Yeah. Im expecting incremental evolution with sophy. Just hoping that lap counts increase. While sophys development is fascinating and i would love to play with it more. 3 laps is just too short. 8 would be great.

We would all be wise to remember that sophy is a beta. Each iteration is just that. Some will be weak, others strong and there will be quirks each time around.

Im kinda over Sophy for the moment...and all of the buggy AI talk from every software / hardware company.

I really should have bought NVidia stocks in 2012 :banghead:

Making Sophy a Master Driver that just nails every corner is probably easy. Making Sophy a dynamic challenge is probably a whole other ball game. How do you make the computer good AND realistic but not too good? Im sure they're accounting for the fact that a lot of the request to make Sophy more challenging are coming from hubris.
I remember SOPHY was tough at first, they changed it and it got easier. So they can do it somehow?

Get rid of three different levels or even adding a fourth insane level. That’s not the way to do it, we will constantly be needing to tweak performance points to equal our the races.

It’s frustrating having a car at 600pp tuned how you like. It’s fun to drive, has just the right amount of looseness, but enter any 600pp race and blow the doors off the competition.

Not to mention professional in custom race is a completely different difficulty than professional in world circuit challenges.

Maybe they can have us qualify for a Sophy race, run three laps, take an average and have Sophy run in that range give or take a certain percentage. They’ve slowed it down before so if they can do it that way, doesn’t matter how fast or slow you are, it’s going to feel like you’re in a race. That’s the ultimate AI, one that matches your skill level. That will always result in a palms sweating close race. Imagine that, you suck but are at least consistent with lap times, having the race of your life. Haha

Make them optional, or dependent on difficulty setting. Hard or a “realistic” setting should get things like Sophia AI with qualifying etc.
Yeah, would be great, except that Poliphony never made a game where you can dramatically alter the gameplay experience through settings.

I wonder how much more difficult/"realistic" they can make this game before their core audience starts to get upset.

I only pose that question because I was talking about FFB for wheeled users and another forum dweller took issue with whatever I said and really harped on the fact that a majority of the fanbase use controllers. IIRC, I think he/she took issue with me wanting more dev time for FFB/wheels and they didn't want a loss for controller development (pretty selfish imo but whatever lol).

I just wonder at what level of "realism" does the game start to unravel for controller usage due to the limitations of the peripheal? Maybe there isn't an upper boundary, I have no idea.

All that being said, I'd love for additional levels of realism for SOPHY and the game in general.

I wonder how much more difficult/"realistic" they can make this game before their core audience starts to get upset.

I only pose that question because I was talking about FFB for wheeled users and another forum dweller took issue with whatever I said and really harped on the fact that a majority of the fanbase use controllers. IIRC, I think he/she took issue with me wanting more dev time for FFB/wheels and they didn't want a loss for controller development (pretty selfish imo but whatever lol).

I just wonder at what level of "realism" does the game start to unravel for controller usage due to the limitations of the peripheal? Maybe there isn't an upper boundary, I have no idea.

All that being said, I'd love for additional levels of realism for SOPHY and the game in general.
PD are masters at controller implementation so I’d imagine their window before it becomes untenable is wider than most. They can probably go quite far and still make it feel at least good, if not great.

GT7 is the best handling game on a pad I’ve ever tried. It’s sublime. The translation of inputs with the damping and steering sensitivity they use is fantastic. The sensitivity is obviously adjustable but no matter what, it never feels not smooth, where the controller is starting to break loose from control over the car.

You have to give props to the controller itself, as well. FFB triggers are HUGE.
Which I use for shifting. So, I don't really get the benefit of the triggers having haptic feedback (at least, not in GT7). I'm old school. When I'm not using my wheel (and PSVR2) I use both analog sticks, and triggers for shifting (OG Gran Turismo Style). The ONLY game I have ever played (and enjoyed) that forces you into the use of the triggers (for gas/brake) was Pacific Drive. I just can't get used to the control scheme, and I REALLY don't like shifting with the face buttons. Just seems so anticlimactic to me. I'm sure it's just me, but it is what it is....lol

I don't expect this update to be popular with players that use analog inputs at all. I think casual players as a whole will be turned off, because it seems like a big step to a more hardcore sim direction.

If it's true that 80% braking becomes the new sweet spot for ideal driving, then that's fantastic for skilled wheel and controller users, but literally (and I mean literally!) impossible for people using the face buttons to brake efficiently, and a harder thing to manage for more casual players using other methods than just slamming the brake trigger all the way down.

It will be interesting for sure. The physics seem very obviously geared to competitive sport mode play and that's just, for better or for worse, not where the bulk of the players are.

I don't expect this update to be popular with players that use analog inputs at all. I think casual players as a whole will be turned off, because it seems like a big step to a more hardcore sim direction.

If it's true that 80% braking becomes the new sweet spot for ideal driving, then that's fantastic for skilled wheel and controller users, but literally (and I mean literally!) impossible for people using the face buttons to brake efficiently, and a harder thing to manage for more casual players using other methods than just slamming the brake trigger all the way down.

It will be interesting for sure. The physics seem very obviously geared to competitive sport mode play and that's just, for better or for worse, not where the bulk of the players are.
It's good to know.

If the game becomes unplayable for me, I won't even be able to play offline to avoid the update...

Im kinda over Sophy for the moment...and all of the buggy AI talk from every software / hardware company.

I really should have bought NVidia stocks in 2012 :banghead:
I was over it from the start. It just seemed gimmicky to me. 'Here's improved AI but only parts of the game utilize it and only part of the player base can use it'. Yeah, how about no. You want to improve AI? Fine but you need to go all in. Make it available for all game modes and for every player.

Until they do that, then I really don't care about it.

Last edited:
Back