Gran Turismo 7's Force Feedback Hobbled to Prevent Player Injuries

• Thread starter Famine
  • 314 comments
It's broken. G29 hasn't changed at all. I own one and noticed no changes at all.
Not noticed any changes recently. Just that ff was poor from release of the game. Are you saying on your g29, you can feel wheelspin? My wheel jerks around and can change resistance etc but theres no true feedback through it.

On the ps3 i remember there was a 1 lap race on an oval that you had to slipstream perfectly to get 1st place and you could feel if the front wheels began to lose traction - never had that quality of feel on gt5

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7’s Force Feedback Hobbled to Prevent Player Injuries

Polyphony Digital has today issued a statement regarding a major change to force feedback delivery in Gran Turismo 7 in the latest game update...

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read! I have had wheels for many years and never had an issue with them. I am 56 years old not a child, and now thanks to the people at Polyphony my game experience is totally ruined... I have played GT games for 25 years and this is disrespectful of me and of all players loyalty to the brand... This is not their decision to make, they must ensure that the FFB works really well. Polyphony change this back now! This is unacceptable! 😜💯

PS. Assetto Corsa Competizione is looking good now... Goodbye to GT7 Rest In Pieces!

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7’s Force Feedback Hobbled to Prevent Player Injuries

Polyphony Digital has today issued a statement regarding a major change to force feedback delivery in Gran Turismo 7 in the latest game I guess I need to go bya$150 dollor wheel so I can have force feedback who needs a $1000 wheel mine is now useless in this game. Great move a holes!!!

I can't tell if Polyphony has any clue what their fanbase wants and expects. Changes like this is what make players leave your game for good. The players that put in 50 hours or more per week are the ones I'm talking about, and I cannot wait for the feedback storm and eventual rollback of this silly update.

EDIT: Temporary so the article says. Will be fixed in an update in the future. Three wheels are affected:

・Thrustmaster T-GT
・FANATEC Podium
・FANATEC GT DD Pro

I guess we'll see...
Link
Destroy the high dollar wheels to fix the piece of #$^@ wheels

I'm sure glad I got to spend all that money on a DD Pro for it now to feel like a cheap wheel with hardly any force feedback. Thanks for screwing us all over and dictating to us what our personal settings should be.
I just bought a useless wheel and upgraded to 8nwt and a loud cell brake and there no good now awesome

If that really happened, that's not an issue with the FFB levels being too high, that's a flat bug that should be fixed. It should not resolved by turning down FFB levels for everything and is not reasonable justification for doing so.
It did really happen. It was another driving game, not GT, as I already said. I only mentioned it to illustrate the potential for injury from the powerful motors in these wheels. Obviously bugs like that should be fixed, but software will always have bugs, it's a fact of life. And I agree it shouldn't be turned down overall long term, but nobody posting on this thread (including me) knows what has happened to prompt the action they've taken. If it could have been satisfactorily addressed with some other action, you'd think they'd have done that. For example, something might have happened that caused their public liability insurer to require action for their cover to continue, and this was the only thing they could do in the short term to satisfy them.

It did really happen. It was another driving game, not GT, as I already said. I only mentioned it to illustrate the potential for injury from the powerful motors in these wheels. Obviously bugs like that should be fixed, but software will always have bugs, it's a fact of life. And I agree it shouldn't be turned down overall long term, but nobody posting on this thread (including me) knows what has happened to prompt the action they've taken. If it could have been satisfactorily addressed with some other action, you'd think they'd have done that. For example, something might have happened that caused their public liability insurer to require action for their cover to continue, and this was the only thing they could do in the short term to satisfy them.
I Don't subscribe to this point of view... But if this is the case the world has gone completely bonkers WTF💯

Here is an actual photo of the person who was injured by their wheel

Attachments

• erson who gott.jpg
    erson who gott.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 19
Ok so I got a chance tonight to try out this update with my T300 and thank GOD all is well all I did was up the force feedback by 2 compared to how I had it before. It felt kind of light to me? Idk maybe it was placebo because I was expecting something different but I tried out a car and track I usually do and got a new record similar to my record before this update so all is good. Polyphony what is you doing baby? The wheels are fine no need to reduce force feedback people work hard to buy these products just to come home and find out they have been nerfed?, not a good look

lol - people actually believe the word of Kaz.

This is a bug, 100%.
If it was anything else then it would have been included in the patch notes and people would have been notified BEFORE the update and not a day after. Its clearly a face-saving operation to make PD look less incompetent than they already have been with GT7 so far

At this point I couldn’t care less what the true reason is, though it’s always entertaining to know. But it doesn’t change the fact it’s been done for however long it takes to correct. Till then, it’s bricked.

I’m a pretty laid back guy when it comes to all these games and bugs and glitches and patches etc. But this industry has become so bad. I usually can live with stupid issues because it’s all just still a game at the end of the day, but when I can’t even drive the damn thing at all—that a lot of us have spent money on, including expensive wheels and pedals and rigs—it’s enough already. Unacceptable.

Right now, I’d happily take a refund (including a few extra dollars I spent on credits because I don’t have time to grind away on this idiocy) and never play a GT game again, just on principle.

I’m not too far through the game, because of available time. I’m about halfway through getting gold on all the licenses, which I actually find fun. Three-day weekend and today my 7-year-old, who enjoys watching me drive, said, hey, can we do some more license tests?! And I had to explain to him what just happened and say, sorry buddy.

You’re a total joke right now, PD and Kaz.

Last edited:
I actually had the issue while driving tomahawk at the le mans straights at 500+ kph. The wheel starts shaking uncontrollably and you really have to hold on for dear life XD (DD pro 5nm). I did stretch a muscle in my shoulder which did hurt for a bit, but i didn't compain about it, it actually impressed me about what the wheel is capeable of. Don't need a boost kit for sure XD. Now PD give me back my FFB please,

I repeatedly point out that none of this would be a problem if the games industry didn't get special exemption from the consumer contracts regulations. In a nutshell, unlike like ANY other product, you cannot return a faulty or substandard game, even if bought without trying it first (remote sales).

This special exemption is being exploited.
At this point I couldn’t care less what the true reason is, though it’s always entertaining to know. But it doesn’t change the fact it’s been done for however long it takes to correct. Till then, it’s bricked.

I’m a pretty laid back guy when it comes to all these games and bugs and glitches and patches etc. But this industry has become so bad. I usually can live with stupid issues because it’s all just still a game at the end of the day, but when I can’t even drive the damn thing at all—that a lot of us have spent money on, including expensive wheels and pedals and rigs—it’s enough already. Unacceptable.

Right now, I’d happily take a refund (including a few extra dollars I spent on credits because I don’t have time to grind away on this idiocy) and never play a GT game again, just on principle.

I’m not too far through the game, because of available time. I’m about halfway through getting gold on all the licenses, which I actually find fun. Three-day weekend and today my 7-year-old, who enjoys watching me drive, said, hey, can we do some more license tests?! And I had to explain to him what just happened and say, sorry buddy.
If people had signed my petition back with the PC2 scam launch all developers might be forced to release fully functioning games by now and this wouldn't be a problem.

CCR do not protect consumers from games sales. Games have special dispensation and until that ends not only will you get games with ever worse problems at launch but soon some will be outright scams. The only thing protecting consumers from that at the moment is "honour" amongst developers.

Oh well if customers don't want laws to suit themselves I guess we're happy getting stung.

Jeez, I just tried it since the update. My T-GT feels absolutely awful…and I’m one of those who play with FFB on 10…

Boy, am I glad I have a PC to drive AC and ACC on. I’ve been faithful since the original GT. I even got a scalped PS5 just for GT7. But PD keeps giving me reasons to go to other real sims and not come back…

Was just about to buy a wheel to get some quicker lap times and a few golds i cant get on a controller, looks like i wont until this is fixed ill stick to being 3 seconds slower a lap with the controller. I will spend my money on my 4wd knowing how to drive it off road without breaking my thumbs.

Joining the bandwagon, just tried it wit TGT2, increased from FFB4 to FFB10, and its like driving a boat, sadly now I’m disappointed with a game even more, just 110 GB being wasted on a hard drive :(

Was just about to buy a wheel to get some quicker lap times and a few golds i cant get on a controller, looks like i wont until this is fixed ill stick to being 3 seconds slower a lap with the controller. I will spend my money on my 4wd knowing how to drive it off road without breaking my thumbs.
Honestly i would not expect to be 3s faster then.Did the wheel make me a better driver?Yes.By 3s?I don‘t think so,hard to compare though cause i bought my first wheel ever 2 weeks after release when i was still learning cars,physics,tracks.Ist it more fun and immersive?Hell YES :dopey:

If you've never used a wheel before you'll probably be slower than you were with the controller for a while even. Eventually you might end up being faster, but it's not immediate. 2-4 weeks is I think what it ends up being for most people, depending on how much you play. It can be quite frustrating at first to be slower than you would have been with a controller.

This affects only two wheel models (both quite expensive) so I suggest you buy something affordable like a G29 or a T150 pro and you'll be fine, and you'll also go faster, no doubt (but not 3 seconds). You will also need some weeks of practice before you beat your times with controller.

Last edited:
This affects only two wheel models (both quite expensive) so I suggest you buy something affordable like a G29 or a T150 pro and you'll be fine, and you'll also go faster, no doubt (but not 3 seconds). You will also need some weeks of practice before you beat your times with controller.
Actually,couple of more wheels including an entry level,the T248. And afaik the Fanatec podium Wheelbases as well but that stuff has so much power i guess it‘s not an issue there :)

I actually had the issue while driving tomahawk at the le mans straights at 500+ kph. The wheel starts shaking uncontrollably and you really have to hold on for dear life XD (DD pro 5nm). I did stretch a muscle in my shoulder which did hurt for a bit, but i didn't compain about it, it actually impressed me about what the wheel is capeable of. Don't need a boost kit for sure XD. Now PD give me back my FFB please,

Same experience. Every time I went to do the Tokyo grind and forgot to alter my FFB strength on the base, I could easily see how someone could mess up a thumb if they ran heavy settings.

I see this being a potentially tricky fix for PD, as I’m pretty sure the FFB issue is tied to the physics calculations of the game, and the crazy amount of downforce the Tommy creates.

The easiest way out I think, would be for them to somehow nerf the max FFB torque IG for that vehicle, in addition to making you click through some kind of warning menu each time you drive that car. Hopefully they figure it out soon. I give PD waaaaay more leeway than most for various reasons, but rendering equipment useless that myself and others have spent a lot of hard earned money on just for this game, tweaks me.

Last edited:
I had not really a good opinion about the Tomahawk grind before but to each their own of course.But if this is potentially affecting MY driving experience now…well,that would be something.They better sort this out asap…

This bloody tomahawk has caused so much trouble. Get these stupid fairy tale cars out the game.
The FFB is the problem, not the car.

Personally, I like a lot of the VGT's and can appreciate the work the manufacturers (usually) put into them. The fact they got so many manufacturers to make a fantasy car for a game actually blows my mind.

Any fleeting hope of getting a DD Pro later on this year has been killed. I mean it was poor before and not as good as GT Sport like other things in "GT7". I expected things to improve with updates.

I expect Fanatec to even let PD know about AC on PC, hell I'd even visit the offices if I was Fanatec with a PC setup to show them in person to see what good FFB can be.

It's just shocking how bad and slow PD can continue to be.

Back