Gran Turismo 7's Force Feedback Hobbled to Prevent Player Injuries

• Thread starter Famine
  • 314 comments
Please explain to me what decision I should have made to stop my wheel from randomly slamming at full force through 180 degrees?
Keep your hands on the wheel maybe? Don’t say that you did either cause if you have a firm grip on your wheel it doesn’t just randomly spin violently out of your hands. Just like all the YouTube videos of peoples wheels oscillating like crazy with no hands on the wheel.

Ff was better on ps3 with gt5 using a g25 then ps5 with a g29. Unless my wheel is broken?? i can't feel any traction loss at all through the wheel. Only big kerbs and the dirt tracks!

Those warnings exist for a very good reason.
Ok, what's your point? There are already warnings within the instructions of the wheel itself. IF, and that is a big IF, PD somehow feel responsible people losing their arms due to FFB on the Fanatech, then add a warning beofre the game starts rather than completely Nerfing a $1,000 wheel set-up from the people who paid $1,000 for a wheel specifically for the reason they're Nerfing it.

Other forms of machinery sold to consumers are regulated to avoid injury, examples being motorised garage doors or electric windows in cars. Other types of product have other requirements, e.g. electrical products are expected to not electrocute purchasers. Why should gaming wheels, and the code that controls them in games, uniquely be absolved of any responsibility to not injure the people who buy them?
Motorized garage doors and electric windows aren't designed specifically to offer resistance to people using them. The FFB on the Fanatech is literally a feature of the wheel. A FEATURE. People are paying extra money for it.

I can't believe we're even having this conversation. What're we going to talk about next, the people who sued Mars corporation because there was a peanut in their peanut M&Ms?

Last edited:
Or my belief that this is utter bollocks and they messed up and came out with this nonsense to cover for it
it has been killing me to see the argument for 'this is true' amount to 'well Polyphony said it'. especially considering that if this is some new injury risk, they're admitting that the GT wheels they're selling were not tested on the game. or, better, that they had no idea what the capacity of the wheel was to begin with.

these people told half truths about the game before it was finished and when they do deliver on promises, like the 'new track layout', the company acts like they've not just bent the definition. in this case, it feels like an auto-generated excuse for a bug they overlooked on their end. if it was impacting logitech and not fanatec, they may have not even acknowledged this.

someone already predicted what they'll do - bring back FFB a little bit of the way back - and i would add that they won't even remove FFB from the offending cars (i suspect only 4/5 cause an issue). that would require the developer to actually use several different cars and pay attention to what is happening... so i wouldn't count on it. unless the tomahawk becomes a toyota.

Last edited:
Other forms of machinery sold to consumers are regulated to avoid injury, examples being motorised garage doors or electric windows in cars. Other types of product have other requirements, e.g. electrical products are expected to not electrocute purchasers. Why should gaming wheels, and the code that controls them in games, uniquely be absolved of any responsibility to not injure the people who buy them?
They are not. But to stop virtually all force feedback on a premium force feedback wheel is like putting a 20mph speed limiter on a Ferrari so the driver can’t injure himself. Not something I’ve seen before. The wheel will pass all the tests you mention and be certified as safe to use but an 8nm wheel should be allowed to be used at 8nm. Otherwise it shouldn’t be on sale.

What sort of injuries? Lost limbs?

Sounds more like a type of mental illness.

As much as I'd like to think pd could have addressed this in another, not such an extreme manner, I guess this is a symptom of the 'litigation' (American?) society today.

Basically having to allow for the lowest common denominator. Has to be a degree of persons responsibility? If your kids are playing with a wheel, then parents should be ensuring they set it at a level kids can play safely, or not allow them to use it if they cant be bothered to observe and work out settings that are safe for them to use.

Ok, what's your point? There are already warnings within the instructions of the wheel itself.
Yeah, if you read what I quoted, I was taking about epileptic warnings.

But thanks for the argument. Appreciate it.

Don't crash and get gud?
I was stationary, using the menu.

Well you can accept that accidents happen?
So if I drove at 100mph in a 30mph limit, hit a car your family was in and killed them all, you wouldn't think I should be liable, you'd be happy to accept it as an accident?

I doubt that limiting the overall level of force feedback will be the final situation, it may well just be a short term response to whatever has brought it about, while they deal with whatever specifically caused the problem.

So if I drove at 100mph in a 30mph limit, hit a car your family was in and killed them all, you wouldn't think I should be liable, you'd be happy to accept it as an accident?
Ah. You had me going for a while. Nicely played lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you read what I quoted, I was taking about epileptic warnings.

But thanks for the argument. Appreciate it.
I was saying there are already warnings for flashy screens... to which you said those warnings are important. Ok, I never said they weren't. I was using that as an example of what they could've done, rather than what they did regarding FFB. If they're that worried about people losing limbs to their wheels, put a warning at the beginning of each game launch the same way rather than completely Nerfing peoples' rigs. IMO, still overkill as the manuals on the wheels themselves have said warnings already.

Where I get irked is, where does it end?

"You are about to play a video game. It has flashy scenes. FFB on your wheel could sprain your wrist. Sitting on your butt for long periods of time is unhealthy. Staring at a TV can hurt your eyes. Don't forget to breathe." Maybe Sony should code into the system it just shuts off every 30 mins and won't reboot for an hour so people are encouraged to go outside?

Please tell me Fanatec is going to or hopefully rail against PD for this? I have been researching wheels for a month and was ready to pull the trigger on one of their wheels. Now, it seems pointless.
There is a good chance that it‘s long time fixed by the time your order arrived 🤓

Where I get irked is, where does it end?
if i play for two hours in a day, my unrepaired meniscus injury from 15 years ago starts to bother me. i also require wrist supports if i play for very long. when i was using a controller to grind, sometimes my thumbs would get really sore.

this game is more dangerous than lawn darts and bottle rocket fights combined!

fwiw, this could have been handled with a warning screen regarding the cars that surpass safety standards. that would've required the unthinkable: they would've had to test the cars in their game.

Last edited:
B80
Sounds more like a type of mental illness.

As much as I'd like to think pd could have addressed this in another, not such an extreme manner, I guess this is a symptom of the 'litigation' (American?) society today.

Basically having to allow for the lowest common denominator. Has to be a degree of persons responsibility? If your kids are playing with a wheel, then parents should be ensuring they set it at a level kids can play safely, or not allow them to use it if they cant be bothered to observe and work out settings that are safe for them to use.
It doesn't make PD's decision right but I agree with you. Here in America "parenting" has disappeared. Give the kid a PS5 and a wheel and there's your babysitter for 6 hours. Meanwhile mommy is in the other room swiping on tinder or making some absurd tik tok video trying to find the next dope to bang her. It's sad. Then, the minute little junior runs to mommy crying that his hand hurts, she sees $$$$ and sues.
Not all kids are dealing with this, but what I just described is a common evening for a lot of kids in America.

THAT is who these companies cater too. It's absolutely nonsense and ruins things for everyone else.

Last edited:
if i play for two hours in a day, my unrepaired meniscus injury from 15 years ago starts to bother me. i also require wrist supports if i play for very long. when i was using a controller to grind, sometimes my thumbs would get really sore.

this game is more dangerous than lawn darts and bottle rocket fights combined
Just don't eat any Tide Pods for a snack! :P

I was stationary, using the menu.
There goes my BS detector again. So you're telling us that the wheel suddenly span violently whilst you weren't racing/moving? Strawman.

Maybe you should get a job at PD press office?

If that really happened, that's not an issue with the FFB levels being too high, that's a flat bug that should be fixed. It should not resolved by turning down FFB levels for everything and is not reasonable justification for doing so.

For those with a DD Pro, try switching your wheel into compatibility mode (purple) I did by accident and I'm getting way more FFB!

You mean way more torque but way worse FFB, since FFB is about detail as well and not only torque?

The pre 1.15 FFB is crap in comparison with the new one, when it comes to detail during cornering. The old one just went numb, as if it was clipping heavily.

Both modes require making quite a big sacrifice. Blue mode means you basically have no torque at all and putting it to 10 gives a very artificial bouncy feel, purple mode gives the correct torque but you have pretty much no feedback. I’m struggling to adapt to either. There’s a Goldilocks FFB if the two are merged and they better provide it after this unfathomable cock up.

Let's hope the new FFB model with superior detail remains when they bring back the old torque levels. I see no reason why we'd have to choose. If they go back to the old model entirely, that'll be the first time I cry and whine about GT7.
I wonder if ffb in GT7 will be like the penalty system in GTS. PD will keep swaying between 2 extremes, and when they get it close to perfect, ditch it for one of the extremes 2 months later

They should have just went back on the change at keep the ffb of version 1.13 while they work on the issue. Even if that meant delaying the update. You just don’t mess with the way the game controls just before the start of the official season. Amateurish at best.

They should have just went back on the change at keep the ffb of version 1.13 while they work on the issue. Even if that meant delaying the update. You just don’t mess with the way the game controls just before the start of the official season. Amateurish at best.
Unless the reason they gave is a concoction to cover yet another mess. I know which seems more likely to me.

Unless the reason they gave is a concoction to cover yet another mess. I know which seems more likely to me.
They skipped version 1.14 so I believe they found something wrong with it that forced to change it and go with version 1.15. If that was the reason or not I obviously don’t know and won’t speculate.

I remember having a similar issue to @breeminator but on GTS. During a race if I made a big enough mistake I would pause and restart, then after selecting restart the wheel motor would jerk pretty forcefully back to center even if I physically put the wheel back to center in the pause menu. No other game did this and it was pretty jarring and an unpleasant feeling to the wrists. Was this a known issue or was I the only one?

Forgot to add I was and am still using a T300.

Last edited:
Back