Gran Turismo 7's Force Feedback Hobbled to Prevent Player Injuries

• Thread starter Famine
  • 314 comments
So if arm-wrestling a real race car is 10 and arcade cabinets are 3... GT7 was at a 4 and is now a 2?
With my boosted DD pro it was a 5 at default settings (and a 6 if you maxed it out) now default is weaker than my old G27, so about a 2 and 3 if you max it out.

Ditch your G29 and spend £800 on the official Fanatec GT7 direct drive wheel to experience a truly authentic driving experience.

PD then adjust settings to make your DD pro just like (or worse than!) the G29 you upgraded from so you won't hurt yourself. :confused:

It's like a company that sells carving knives, making them blunt before they are despatched so you won't hurt yourself - Insanity.

So just loaded up the game to see what the fuss is about and......jeez. I'm speechless, also quite confused. I seen the patch notes so i'm guessing this was to stop them being liable for any injuries players might get from playing the game.....or did i get that wrong ?

I grabbed those Fanatec settings too from the website, I had a real nice set up so I am not happy about this at all, I don’t have it too strong anyway, just fairly firm, isn’t up to the player and the strength of his own arms to decide? Keep your nerf to yourself PD

The settings given here help to make the game playable:

Not perfect, and not was it was before, but playable.

Does not excuse what PD has done...
Even with these settings (thank Maurice as always) my wheel is completely nerfed. I'm sat here with a £800 Fisher Price toy. We have gone through some **** with PD recently, this is easily the most annoyed I have been. Weekend ruined.

The reason is absolute horsecr*p. You can’t go beyond the force of a wheel, we are talking about wheels which have between 6-8nM of force.

How do those cope with podium wheels from fantatec which create double the force of that. There are warnings in the wheel manuals about excessive forces can cause injury.

It just highlights the total lack of testing by PD, an easier fix would’ve been to turn those cars off from selection surely than nerf everyone and annoy everyone.

PD - you are loosing your customer base, I’m off to play ACC on ps5 which has strong FFB that you can actually feel the road and kerbs in. Absolute joke. You should be ashamed of yourselves for having a game in production for so long and skimping on testing, letting your paying customers do your testing for you!

In 25 years of gran turismo I’ve never known anything as shambolic as the release of GT7.

It’s easier to say what you have got right - changeable random weather, as every other area of the game there are issues.

So does this actually only affect the specific wheel bases listed or does it affect all feedback across all wheel bases? Basically should I bother going on it with my CSL elite or not?

So does this actually only affect the specific wheel bases listed or does it affect all feedback across all wheel bases? Basically should I bother going on it with my CSL elite or not?
Only the DD Pro. TGT, and Podium wheels. Your CSL elite is unaffected.

My BS detector is having a right hissy fit with this one.

So, PD who have so far proved to be incompetent with their software version control, who don't listen to the players, who don't care about many other broken features in the game, consistently add features and updates no-one wants, don't communicate with the public...

...suddenly decided to look after players health?

Bahahahaha!

No they didn't. They ****** up again (either with this update or the initial design that supposedly created 5his potential issue) and came out with a BS story.

Occams Razor.

Last edited by a moderator:
My BS detector is having a right hissy fit with this one.

So, PD who have so far proved to be incompetent with their software version control, who don't listen to the players, who don't care about many other broken features in the game, consistently add features and updates no-one wants, don't communicate with the public...

...suddenly decided to look after players health?

Bahahahaha!

No they didn't. They ****** up again (either with this update or the initial design that supposedly created 5his potential issue) and came out with a BS story.

Occams Razor.
Yep, this is far less outlandish than the nonsense of protecting players. Why wouldn’t they release the statement with the update of they knew how much it broke FFB, why have they not also protected us when playing GTS? The whole thing stinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually not surprised this has happened. I've had another racing game suddenly randomly slam the wheel into my thumb and it struck me at the time that ffb has the ability to cause significant injury and lawsuits could happen.
But you drive a car? You cross the road? You cook? You cut up vegetables? You climb stairs? You switch on lights? You breathe?

Risk of injury is everywhere. People accept it so readily they don't even think about it. It's life. It"s how we're designed to be physically and psychologically, how we are designed to live and designed to be happy with.

We are NOT designed to be "nannied" by a body that doesn't understand "life". It's probably the greatest insult in the entire world. And people who suck it up are probably the most pathetic sheep who have ever lived. Literally these people ARE the problem.

Latest force feedback model is based on a real world vehicle.
4FB03BEA-24B4-4FBD-8A46-EB1D0F0FCC3C.png

But you drive a car? You cross the road? You cook? You cut up vegetables? You climb stairs? You switch on lights? You breathe?

Risk of injury is everywhere. People accept it so readily they don't even think about it. It's life. It"s how we're designed to be physically and psychologically, how we are designed to live and designed to be happy with.

We are NOT designed to be "nannied" by a body that doesn't understand "life". It's probably the greatest insult in the entire world. And people who suck it up are probably the most pathetic sheep who have ever lived. Literally these people ARE the problem.
The last two years was eye opening for sure.

Yep, this is far less outlandish than the nonsense of protecting players. Why wouldn’t they release the statement with the update of they knew how much it broke FFB, why have they not also protected us when playing GTS? The whole thing stinks.
Yep much easier to come out with a BS story than have another embarrassing episode like the 36 hours of downtime, this time by having to roll back an update.

If it was so designed PD need to prove it with proof of change intent, in writing, from their software development kit that existed BEFORE players discovered the game had been unintentionally buggered... again...

Sensible train of thought. Sell gaming wheels with powerful motors and then say you can’t use them because they have powerful motors.
Other forms of machinery sold to consumers are regulated to avoid injury, examples being motorised garage doors or electric windows in cars. Other types of product have other requirements, e.g. electrical products are expected to not electrocute purchasers. Why should gaming wheels, and the code that controls them in games, uniquely be absolved of any responsibility to not injure the people who buy them?

Other forms of machinery sold to consumers are regulated to avoid injury, examples being motorised garage doors or electric windows in cars. Other types of product have other requirements, e.g. electrical products are expected to not electrocute purchasers. Why should gaming wheels, and the code that controls them in games, uniquely be absolved of any responsibility to not injure the people who buy them?
Because people have personal responsibility and can make their own decisions. Maybe a garage door bruises someone’s elbow so all garage doors have to remain closed indefinitely to protect owners from injury.

Because people have personal responsibility and can make their own decisions.
Please explain to me what decision I should have made to stop my wheel from randomly slamming at full force through 180 degrees? Should I have demanded access to the game's source code and personally inspected it before allowing it to control my wheel? Should I refuse to run any code that controls my wheel if the developer won't allow me to inspect their code? Or should I be saved the trouble by the developer being required to not cause the wheel to do things that can injure people.

Please explain to me what decision I should have made to stop my wheel from randomly slamming at full force through 180 degrees? Should I have demanded access to the game's source code and personally inspected it before allowing it to control my wheel? Should I refuse to run any code that controls my wheel if the developer won't allow me to inspect their code? Or should I be saved the trouble by the developer being required to not cause the wheel to do things that can injure people.
Well you can accept that accidents happen?

Please explain to me what decision I should have made to stop my wheel from randomly slamming at full force through 180 degrees?
Don't crash and get gud?

It's never random. It's human error. Even top racing drivers learn to take their hands off the wheel in an impending crash. Seems more realistic if you ask me.

Anyway, you missed my point re:driving. The chance of being killed in a rta doesn't stop you driving. You accept the risk by default.

Back