Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,264 comments
Went to see the movie today with my Gran, as she clocked the poster during her last cinema trip and wanted to go see it with me, specifically recalling memories of watching me playing GT2 and GT3 back in the day.

A very decent 7/10 movie from a fan perspective, but she absolutely loved it so there we go!

Went to see it yesterday with my 4 y/o son. He loved it and perhaps a little seed was planted in his mind. I think the movie was enjoyable if you can just put aside those gimmicks that would make Isaac Newton jump out of his grave. At least it covers the complete story of Jann turning from a gamer to a pro, and those racing scenes were superb. Yamauchi-san's appearance made me laugh out loud, hope others wouldn't mind.

Last edited:
Just got out of the theatre. Gonna be a long post

I don't know how I feel about this movie. I mean, I'm certainly entertained which is the point of the movie but man a few things bugged me even though I try not to take this seriously.

- First of all with a lot of the characters aren't real other than the Mardenboroughs and with some of the event timeline being switched, I feel like this movie would have been better if they don't use Mardenboroughs name but still based the character on him. They could still show the facts at the end with the real Jann and it would still work IMO.

- I feel really weird about the fatal crash being used as a motivational push for the final race.

- Also wow, I did not realize how annoying it is for me personally that they didn't portray Le Mans accurately. The final turn in the climax triggered me. I guess it's because I literally raced the track a thousand times in GT7 to grind credits :lol:

- The beginning, where they talked about GT being the best simulator felt really overselling it but I get it, they probably had to for product placements. But if you really want to do it right then at least show the real game accurately at the beginning where Jann plays rather than showing what looked like a heavily modded racing game (the audacity to show him overtaking a 992 Porsche :grumpy:) and also his car changing from a stock Mclaren F1 to F1 GTR, what the hell??, other poduct placements didn't bother me at all though.

Now the good parts, the racing scene is really great IMO. The car sounds, the camera, the game's effects are all top notch for me. The acting is for the most part fine but I really David Harbour's acting the most. The pacing is quite slow at the beginning but picks up after he won GT Academy. I feel like the romance stuff is totally unneeded though and could be replaced by Jann and his dad more because I really like that plot more. Kaz's cameo is funny to me lol

I guess I'll give this movie 6.5-7/10. It's a quite fun movie overall since it delivers on the racing scenes. For people who aren't familiar with the game and the real story then it would be a fantastic movie which I think that's what they want.

Last edited:
Couple of notes regarding the GT Movie now I watched it (it's out now in Indonesia):
  • 7.75, it's what it is as a racing docudrama.
  • There's only like ten-ish people at the theater when I watched it. It's noon at a weekday, it's what it is I guess.
  • First impression of the Capa team seems to be of somewhat fitting "dentist" stereotype surrounding rich sportscar racers.
  • Throughout the movie I imagined some scenes with not only GT HUDs of the past, but also Wangan Midnight (System 246/PlayStation 2) HUD.
  • Do they ever investigate the Capa team for driving standards issues?
  • The hero GT-R GT3 has an old Michelin logo on the front quarter. Thought this mistake was game only, but it's also present in the movie car.
  • The Japanese trailer has an incorrectly colored GT logo in the Nissan HQ GT Academy pitch scene - in the final film that scene has the GT logo in monochrome
  • Credits scene seems to have a Lamborghini being scanned in addition to the old Mercedes people has reported (standard disclaimer that "scanned != planned for inclusion" apply)

Last edited:
The Drive posted their review:

Weird review. He keeps harping on the film's intent to show gamers as an "oppressed" group in racing, but over 10 years ago, that was how gamers were viewed by real race car drivers. The Academy program was seen as a joke and real-life drivers still insisted that sim training wasn't as valuable as real-world track time. When Jann crashed in real life, there were a bunch of people online insisting that the crash was a consequence of a sim driver being brought up the ranks too fast.

Sure the film takes that sentiment and places it in present-day (where sim driving is now synonymous with training) but it's not an unreal sentiment at all.

Sure the film takes that sentiment and places it in present-day (where sim driving is now synonymous with training) but it's not an unreal sentiment at all.
Many of us older folks heard the same and similar arguments a gazillion times in our lifetime. "Games are for kids, grow up", "It's just wasting time, get a real hobby", "You can't make real friends in video games", "eSports isn't real sports", and so on. Interesting how gaming turned into a subculture and then split off into several different subcultures. :)

I also read reviews complaining about excessive product placement and I was thinking: if there's one movie where product placement makes sense it's this one.

I also feel that the whole over-the-top claims made by Marketing executive Danny Moore (Orlando Bloom) at the beginning (e.g. 'they made the most realistic simulator ever', "this will unlock an untapped market of 80 million potential Nissan car buyers") are a (not so) subtle stab at marketing in general. It's like the movie is taking a stab at real life GT Academy and itself in one go. :) A similar thing is in some of the earlier racing bits, which are quite literally 'chase the rabbit'; an often heard complaint about GT (AI) on these forums for many years. The movie gently pokes a bit of fun at multiple things, so I suspect it's intentional.

Might see it with my dad in 4DX or Dolby Cinema. Anyone have any impressions on the format they prefer? Never been to a 4DX film before and I'm down to have a Universal Studios-like experience as long as it's not super distracting. There's also ScreenX and IMAX 2D in nearby theaters.

Couple of notes regarding the GT Movie now I watched it (it's out now in Indonesia):
  • 7.75, it's what it is as a racing docudrama.
  • There's only like ten-ish people at the theater when I watched it. It's noon at a weekday, it's what it is I guess.
  • First impression of the Capa team seems to be of somewhat fitting "dentist" stereotype surrounding rich sportscar racers.
  • Throughout the movie I imagined some scenes with not only GT HUDs of the past, but also Wangan Midnight (System 246/PlayStation 2) HUD.
  • Do they ever investigate the Capa team for driving standards issues?
  • The hero GT-R GT3 has an old Michelin logo on the front quarter. Thought this mistake was game only, but it's also present in the movie car.
  • The Japanese trailer has an incorrectly colored GT logo in the Nissan HQ GT Academy pitch scene - in the final film that scene has the GT logo in monochrome
  • Credits scene seems to have a Lamborghini being scanned in addition to the old Mercedes people has reported (standard disclaimer that "scanned != planned for inclusion" apply)
The Lamborghini in question seems to be an Huracan STO. (Again, standard disclaimer that "scanned != planned for inclusion" apply)

I'm so confused. I thought a recent gtplanet article said this movie was delayed till August 25th, but now I see it's been out in theaters for a while. I won't be able to make it to a theater for about 2 weeks so hopefully it will still be playing by then.

I'm so confused. I thought a recent gtplanet article said this movie was delayed till August 25th, but now I see it's been out in theaters for a while. I won't be able to make it to a theater for about 2 weeks so hopefully it will still be playing by then.
The official global release was definitely delayed, but there was the early screenings and a few theaters that honored the original August 11th date if I recall.

Just came back from seeing GT at the premier screen in Milwaukee. There were 8 people in the theater for a 9:15pm showing. I don’t think that bodes well for the movie. Deserted on an opening weekend.

The film was okay but not good. It felt rushed with some pretty big flaws though out it. There’s the antagonist that would be disqualified if he did what he did in a real race and a love interest that adds nothing to the story. More character development on the GT Academy drivers that partook in la mans would have been good.

the racing action was actually underwhelming. Had silly Hollywood tropes of shift down and stomp on pedal to go quicker. Passing was too easy and it just did not look that fast.

I’ll be generous and give it a 6/10.

How the Gran Turismo movie is like Semi Pro.

From the unnecessary love side plot and historical errors, to the excitement of fourth place and washed up mentor being one of the best thing and many other things in between, both Jackie and Jann go through a whole heckuva heap to compete professionally.
Let's Get Tropical (mostly at Hungaroring).

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Watch: How GTPlanet Member David Perel Helped Make the Gran Turismo Movie

GTPlanet’s video editor Chaz Draycott has been speaking to racing driver, GTPlanet member, and now official advisor to Hollywood (at least as far as racing flicks go) David Perel over his role in the development of the Gran Turismo movie...

There is a tendancy to the « crunch » effect during promotion of theatrical release with interviews over interviews so not that surprising for me but I did not read the whole thing either to judge further…

I just got back from watching the GT Movie.

I must say, that aside from being LOUD (!!!!) (and rather sensitive to that), it was a really good action movie.

Now, there were a couple of blatant errors. One was a RACE CAR blowing up after hitting the wall. Seriously. And the flames were moderately obviously CG. And LeMans ends in a double "S", not a right hand hairpin....

Oh, well. It's a movie. And they needed it to be exciting and fun.

Which it was.

I understand that many things that were done were for show. But something that was REALLY neat was the CONSTANT references to GT and gaming rewards. A bit much a couple of times, but very well done overall.

Overall, this really was a good movie. I enjoyed it, and hope it does very well. We were there for the first showing off the day, so I wasn't expecting a big crowd, but I was pleased with there being almost 10 people. I will be interested to see if there is a crowd for the evening.

Totally worth seeing it in the theater!

Edit:
I want to mention on other thing. Trauma can be an interesting beast. Having a crash, especially one that results in a fatality, is a hard thing.

I feel that they really dealt with that in a sensitive and very good way.

And pulling him out of the PTSD reaction was downright fun!

Last edited:
It was a fun movie for sure.
If there is something to be clearly criticized it would be the pacing of the movie at points. Some of the racing scenes moved a little bit too quick for my liking and it sort of took out a lot of tension. I had a hard time being sold that what was actually being done was hard for the MC. He just sorts of... you know.
Many of us older folks heard the same and similar arguments a gazillion times in our lifetime. "Games are for kids, grow up", "It's just wasting time, get a real hobby", "You can't make real friends in video games", "eSports isn't real sports", and so on. Interesting how gaming turned into a subculture and then split off into several different subcultures. :)
Funny thing about this is that many of the people in my life began to change their tune the moment they found out you can make real money out of it. I am not one of those people who can do that now, but their support would have been nice a decade earlier.

Regardless, I still met people that I do care about while playing video games, but there are many more shared interests and ideologies that we have that actually makes that work.

Someone that I just play Gran Turismo with, for example, is never going to be anything more than acquaintance if all we ever talk about are games, esports, rankings, etc and never discuss anything difficult or personally interesting.

For individual communities, making comments about those topics just to gauge the type of people in them has been a solid test. Minimal surprise is good. Absolute indifference is a huge red flag in my eyes, though.
The film was okay but not good. It felt rushed with some pretty big flaws though out it. There’s the antagonist that would be disqualified if he did what he did in a real race and a love interest that adds nothing to the story. More character development on the GT Academy drivers that partook in la mans would have been good.
It definitely felt like it needed another 20-30 minutes to build up the romantic interest and antagonist a bit more, specifically their motivations so they don’t just end up being caricatures of the roles they are supposed to portray. Good villains are still people, just very bad ones.
---
Something definitely hit me a bit personally, though. It was this idea that only the best are the people worth caring about, that only someone with true talent can be considered any good for anything. The rest are merely minor villains or they are stepping stones/tools for those who will become great.

There are so many things that I was never the best at and was just only good at. It felt like the movie was telling me to jump off a bridge at times.

One of the neatest moments in the film was a very, VERY blatant reference to Kaz's favorite movie.

"Jiro dreams of sushi" was a neat movie. And Kaz truly wants to emulate that attitude and life (style).

Quite a fitting reference! ;)

Watched it last night. Overall I thought it was good and enjoyable to watch despite the typical Hollywood underdog plot and dramatization. Every outcome was very predictable, but being based on a true story, I suppose they couldn’t or didn’t want to fictionalize it too much. The movie started out like an over-the-top commercial, and I think they could do without the holographic stuff when Jann was playing the game at the beginning, all of which I thought was going to set a bad tone for the rest of the movie in terms of over-dramatization, but luckily that didn't really turn out to be the case. The fake Le Mans track was kinda disappointing though. In the end, it was better than what I expected (possibly the best videogame-based movie I’ve seen), and that cameo from Kaz definitely takes the cake :lol:

Back