Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,264 comments
Question: how much damage do you think was done to the brand?
No one will buy more/less Nissans. Or PS5's. Or GT games. At least not because of the movie. So zero. Dare I say it's perhaps a net positive?

Obviously we all wanted to shoot at Le Mans but weren't given permission or the time. The issue with shooting racing movies is getting time on track. Hungaroring was the only circuit that was bookable for three months. Also, if you knew how much it cost to rent Nurburgring for just two days, you'd be amazed the movie was even made. Unfortunately, there are some limitations you cannot get around.

Last point: The head of CGI for the film is a massive Le Mans fan. He's camped trackside at the race for over a decade and makes a point of taking his staff to the race each year. Not sure you'd find a better person to make do with Buda-Le-Mans than him.
Nobody outside of a small group of hardcore pedantics cares about those details. I also suspect most casual enthusiasts won't even notice unless told. In the end it's just backdrop for the action and story. I think it worked well.

Hearing that they are trying to pretend that the Hungaroring is LeMans, in the same way the Rush movie tried to fob us off that they didn't just film 90% of the track action at Brands Hatch and went around the world.

We're not stupid...treat us with some respect.
Michel Vaillant was literally filmed at Le Mans, on the track, during the 24 hours and it STILL doesn't look that convincing. If you watch racing regularly pretty much no dramatised version is going to look believable for one reason or another even with 3 times the budget and massive quantities of background CG. If you can't suspend your disbelief enough to accept the background is representative of the real world location even if it isn't accurate to it, you must have a really bad time at the cinema.

I just watched this review and is it just me or is she wrong about so many things? I tried to correct her in the comments but maybe I'm going crazy.

How? My ears burst into flame after two sentences.
Please me tell me if I'm wrong but she is claiming that Jann never won a race and that he has never raced at Le Mans. I told her that these are untrue. If I'm wrong, I'll go correct it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Question: how much damage do you think was done to the brand?
In the entire history of bad videogame movies, some worse than this ever possibly could have been, the only one that anyone ever claimed caused legitimate harm to an IP was the second Tomb Raider film.

Please me tell me if I'm wrong but she is claiming that Jann never won a race and that he has never raced at Le Mans. I told her that these are untrue. If I'm wrong, I'll go correct it as soon as possible.
I have no idea what she said as she's unlistenable, but Jann has both won a race (British GT 2012, GP3 2014, several races in the Toyota Racing Series in 2014, several races in Japanese F3 in 2016, and a class win in Super GT) and raced at Le Mans (twice - 2013, 2015) including in the top LMP1H category (2015).

If she said he hasn't done those things, she's wrong.

I have no idea what she said as she's unlistenable, but Jann has both won a race (British GT 2012, GP3 2014, several races in the Toyota Racing Series in 2014, several races in Japanese F3 in 2016, and a class win in Super GT) and raced at Le Mans (twice - 2013, 2015) including in the top LMP1H category (2015).

If she said he hasn't done those things, she's wrong.
She also had a screenshot put up for several minutes which had a headline regarding a win at Hockenheim ring. I don't even follow Jann's career and somehow knew she was wrong.

The review itself isn't bad. She seems to love the movie and is fascinated by sim-racing.

She also had a screenshot put up for several minutes which had a headline regarding a win at Hockenheim ring. I don't even follow Jann's career and somehow knew she was wrong.

The review itself isn't bad. She seems to love the movie and is fascinated by sim-racing.
OK, so she loves it. At least it'll make correcting her easier.

If Resident evil movies didn't damaged the brand for sure this one won't hurt GT brand lol
I just looked at the first four Resi movies with Milla Jovovich starring. They have Rotten Tomatoes scores of 19%, 24%, 21%, 28%.

Gran Turismo is hovering between 55% & 62%. With most of the harsher reviews complaining about product placement rather than it being a fundamentally poor movie. If it does well at the cinema and/or in the home video market, it could get a sequel. Just as Uncharted, with a 40% score, is heavily rumoured to be getting a sequel.

Michel Vaillant was literally filmed at Le Mans, on the track, during the 24 hours and it STILL doesn't look that convincing. If you watch racing regularly pretty much no dramatised version is going to look believable for one reason or another even with 3 times the budget and massive quantities of background CG. If you can't suspend your disbelief enough to accept the background is representative of the real world location even if it isn't accurate to it, you must have a really bad time at the cinema.
Le Mans is arguably the best ever motor racing movie, for enthusiasts at least. That's because it was basically shot like a documentary with very little story. At the time it was roundly panned by critics and was a commercial flop.

Last edited:
Bruh, it's YouTube, if someone's chatting crap, smash the dislike and don't give 'em any more watch time... don't try and interact with it!... 500 hours of content per minute get uploaded, if it's of poor quality just quickly move on!
I meant I felt like maybe I was wrong about what I know of Jann's career. I can assure you that I wasn't in a huff about it. But it's always nice to correct people who are wrong.

In the entire history of bad videogame movies, some worse than this ever possibly could have been, the only one that anyone ever claimed caused legitimate harm to an IP was the second Tomb Raider film.
Kinda surprising considering the amount of stinkers that were made (Double Dragon springs to mind, although that Franchise struggled to keep a consistent identity beyond the name just in the games themselves so I can't say ANY outside media damaged an IP that was already questionable at best).

Hearing that they are trying to pretend that the Hungaroring is LeMans, in the same way the Rush movie tried to fob us off that they didn't just film 90% of the track action at Brands Hatch and went around the world.

We're not stupid...treat us with some respect.
I have no problem with them doing this. I don’t think you understand the cost and logistics involved and how budgeting time and costs against expected RTI works with on location shooting and how much actually visiting each location for real would cost in time, money and resources.

It has nothing to do with respect for the audience or thinking they're stupid, it has everything to do with logistics and money.

Last edited:
man everyone should be a strong independent media consumer don't need no opinions

Kinda surprising considering the amount of stinkers that were made (Double Dragon springs to mind, although that Franchise struggled to keep a consistent identity beyond the name just in the games themselves so I can't say ANY outside media damaged an IP that was already questionable at best).
Paramount and Eidos spent the fallout from Cradle of Life publicly pointing fingers at each other as being the reason for the film failing and the damage done to the franchise. Eidos certainly wasn't blameless by any means, but the combined failure of both iced the franchise entirely while Eidos spent a year or so trying to figure out what to do with it from there.

Stuff like Super Mario Bros might have been notorious but the strong franchises that typically get videogame movies to begin with is more like "the publisher wants more profit while fobbing the work and risk off on someone else" rather than "integral arm of the media IP" so the IP itself have always shrugged the damage off. Spirits Within did a tremendous amount of damage to Square but outside of needing to sell itself to Enix the actual Final Fantasy games were unaffected.

Last edited:
I just watched this review and is it just me or is she wrong about so many things? I tried to correct her in the comments but maybe I'm going crazy.

Like the movie itself there were things I really did like about the review. I didn't realize even after watching and reading quite a few reviews that the rival driver was meant to be sponsored by his parents as opposed to Jann getting sponsorships via effort. Now I feel bad in my review for bashing that because I thought the rival having his name as a sponsor was just an over the top way to try and get people to remember there's a rivalry. Also the controversy is described about the same way as I said too (it's a big spoiler so I won't go into it much).

I'm far from an expert movie reviewer and only saw two reviews when I made mine and now I've seen 20 or so and realized some things for better and worse than I didn't notice at the time so I think I will watch the movie again and make a more streamlined review (less than 55 minutes for sure this time). In every review though it does seem to be mentioned in some way or another that there are many sports movie cliches and I agree with that now more than ever. My favorite sports movie is Talladega Nights, so take that as you may.

Last edited:
I've watched the movie on Friday with my girlfriend. It was a first day of shows in my country.
For context GT7 is my first Gran Turismo, I didn't know Jann story before, but I am quite into racing / sim racing in general.

Writing reviews is not really my kind of thing but wanted to share couple thoughts. If I had to assign a score I would probably say 6.5/10 for me. Might be a couple spoilers below, so stop reading here if you want to avoid them.

Positives - movie is a very good entertainment wise, racing shots are pretty good. GT academy coach character development is great. I liked how they handled Nurburgring accident and emotions related to it. I did not really know Jann before the movie, so no idea if he is like that in real life, but in the movie he has that 'I just got out of my shed' gamer vibes which is quite adorable. His conversation with Audrey at party in particular felt relatable with kind of a shame that some gamers get when asked about gaming in social situations. Kaz cameo was fun as well.

Negatives - I felt a bit of cringe / advertisement vibes over the sections praising Gran Turismo realism and the moment Jann "invents" faster racing line which sums up to "just go wider mate, trust me I did on GT7". The qualifier race for GT academy in GT being chase the rabbit style, starting last and overtaking for 1st position on last metres was lame. In general I've lost count how many times last metres overtake happen in this movie, but it was certainly too much. I like racing though, maybe that was an attempt to get more emotions into people watching who don't. I did not really mind Hungaroring dressed up as Le Mans, until they pulled off the "last corner overtake" at it again. Anyone who knows how real Le Mans last corner looks like would chuckle at the idea of overtaking at last lap of 24h race there, combined with the helicopter view of 180 degree corner from Hungaroring in the movie.

To be fair though - most of my complaints would not apply to general audience. I think my girlfriend enjoyed it more than I did simply because she doesn't know much about real racing.

Have some errands to run tomorrow and figured I'll go check it out after lunch. The theater has pre-assigned seating and at the moment the whole theater was empty for the 12:50pm viewing I picked.

🤷‍♂️

Just saw the movie. It was incredible, surprised the heck out of me. Yes there are some oddities here and there - I couldn't help but notice Jann was using TCS 5 but I won't let that define the film.
I would certainly recommend it, they did a good job appealing to both lovers of the series and those who have no interest in motorsport (based on who I saw it with).

That Kazunori cameo put a smile on my face. I was hoping he'd get some screentime, and while it's easy to miss, they did not disappoint :D

Last edited:
I saw the film last night and it was better than I expected it to be.

The Le Mans not being at La Sarthe was a bit of a let down but 'it's only a film'.

Some strange things though...

The brakes were glazed in car No. 2 but he crashed car No. 3 🤷🏻‍♂️

Screenshot_20230813_211100_com.android.chrome_edit_569276225663134.jpg

gran-turismo-movie-trailer-screenshot.jpeg

Why in the Academy did Jann drive a standard GTR and the other drivers had a Nismo GTR?

Is that to replicate how we get better Ai races in game having a lower powered car?

Screenshot_20230813_211115_com.android.chrome_edit_569310433052191.jpg

Screenshot_20230813_211111_com.android.chrome_edit_569297057345422.jpg

Last edited:
Why in the Academy did Jann drive a standard GTR and the other drivers had a Nismo GTR?
We didn’t have unlimited stock of Nismos, so we had to be careful about which one landed up in the wall, it wasn’t for any intentional reason except for limitations of hardware.

The error with the number on the door is likely an oversight in post-production.

EDIT: Those look like some HD screenshots of the movie, are you sure you watched the final edit... in a cinema?

Last edited:
I saw the film last night and it was better than I expected it to be.

The Le Mans not being at La Sarthe was a bit of a let down but 'it's only a film'.

Some strange things though...

The brakes were glazed in car No. 2 but he crashed car No. 3 🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 1279878
View attachment 1279879

Is that to replicate how we get better Ai races in game having a lower powered car?

View attachment 1279880

View attachment 1279881
I don't know why but Jann using a standard GTR while the others used Nismo kinda annoys me. I mean I get it that it's limitations thing...

It's just a personal problem for me though.

I never listen or watch her stuff since she's quite annoying and... weird.

Last edited:
Back