Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,264 comments
We didn’t have unlimited stock of Nismos, so we had to be careful about which one landed up in the wall, it wasn’t for any intentional reason except for limitations of hardware.

The error with the number on the door is likely an oversight in post-production.

EDIT: Those look like some HD screenshots of the movie, are you sure you watched the final edit... in a cinema?
Yes I did watch the film in a cinema but I only noticed this on the shots found online after noticing the different GTRs used in the film (when you see much more of them than the trailer), although the screenshot of the crash of car 3 is taken from the trailer.

It may have been correct in the final film itself but I don't fancy going back to the cinema just to check 😂 I suppose someone who hasn't seen it yet may be able to confirm when they go? It may have been a different crash scene shown but their is a passenger in the rhs seat in the crash picture, the same as when it happens in the film itself 🤷🏻‍♂️

I may be wrong though, if that's the case I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Still doesn't take from the fact that is was a good film, and like any other film, has its little unoticed things.

Given his more recent bodies of work, I'd much rather he not go back and ruin District 9.
I liked Elysium and Chappie, but haven’t seen this horror movie he made. But the Oath Studios stuff was in my opinion some great work, lot of potential in some of those short movies.

A bunch more critic and user reviews came in.

Has a Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score of 60, and Audience Score of 98.

Don't take the audience score too seriously, it's obviously many influencers and early viewings from fans. Nevertheless, I think we can say Gran Turismo is your classic summer popcorn movie. Not to be taken too seriously, but entertaining. Can see it being a bigger hit in the home video market with people looking for something to test out their systems.

Edit: I have no idea what's considered decent with Box Office, but Gran Turismo made $10.7m on it's opening weekend in 30 markets.

Last edited:
I saw the movie today at my local cinema and in short, I would watch it again. I knew going in that there would be some inaccuracies but it didn't detract from "the story" in any way. As the saying goes, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. It was pretty clear that a lot of inspiration came from Days Of Thunder but it never felt like a rip-off or a parody like Talladega Nights. The way in which the movie goes about the mental side of motorsport was done with a surprising level of care and tact which I did not expect. There was a lot of product placement so you always knew who was bankrolling the movie, but Nissan was the main driving force behind the GT Academy project so it makes sense. The racing scenes were really good because it showed the grit, intensity and danger of motor racing like nothing else. It exceeded my expectations and actually had some impact so I'm very pleased.

I feel like Nissan and GT product placements are fine considering this is a Playstation productions. Hell, GT Academy is sponsored by Nissan so it made sense story wise.

Let me be clear that I don't like what PD did with GT7 and I've been quite critical about it but I think the movie is entertaining, especially if you don't take it too seriously. I'm actually surprised they pulled this off considering I was extremely in doubt when the movie was first announced.

But I can see why some would hate the movie too.

Has a Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score of 60, and Audience Score of 98.

Don't take the audience score too seriously, it's obviously many influencers and early viewings from fans. Nevertheless, I think we can say Gran Turismo is your classic summer popcorn movie. Not to be taken too seriously, but entertaining. Can see it being a bigger hit in the home video market with people looking for something to test out their systems.
Yeah, while their 'verified' audience establishes the reviewers actually bought tickets for the movie, the sample size is pretty small. And the regular audience is about as reliable as Metacritic (aka zero) and not that much bigger.

However: ~5300 people rated the movie on imdb.com so far, for an average rating of 7.2. For those that dont know imdb: the audience there is traditionally hard to please (any score of 6+ is usually decent), so a 7.2 (at this moment) is actually quite good. :lol:

Yeah, while their 'verified' audience establishes the reviewers actually bought tickets for the movie, the sample size is pretty small. And the regular audience is about as reliable as Metacritic (aka zero) and not that much bigger.

However: ~5300 people rated the movie on imdb.com so far, for an average rating of 7.2. For those that dont know imdb: the audience there is traditionally hard to please (any score of 6+ is usually decent), so a 7.2 (at this moment) is actually quite good. :lol:

Yeah, I've rarely used imdb in years (as don't watch any/many films these days), but anything above 7.0 on imdb was usually decent... apart from Marvel films that would somehow always get 9 or above by default it seemed!!

Last edited:
I saw it on Tuesday night, thoroughly enjoyed it! It's uneven in quality, with some early scenes being Hallmark-Christmas-movie-painful, but those are made up for with twice as many excellent scenes of racing and human drama later.
Archie Madekwe is down-to-earth and likeable as Jann, David Harbour elevates the movie tremendously, and Orlando Bloom is just a fun treat to see, it tickles my brain to see him acting exactly the same as Will Turner, but as a Nissan marketing ham, waxing polemic about Gran Turismo rather than swords. When the home release comes, Orlando Bloom's character (who I've forgotten the name of) will be a great source of memes (alongside Kaz's cameo as a gif).

Almost every Gran Turismo game detail shown or referenced is amusingly wrong, as expected (an early scene shows Jann join an online lobby race... from Arcade mode, with 20 players?) Try not to think about that, or the "Cop Avoidance" popup.

Capa, the rich, pantomime evil racer may seem an unrealistic character. He is, but he works well as a relatable allegory for the chrome-loving flesh-eating car-ramming Orks we've all met online at some point.

Its sad how many people doesn't know how Rotten Tomatoes works.

For example: 50 is not the score, is the half of all people saying someting positive (or negative lol) about the movie.

GT is a divisive movie when you are taking about cinema critics but more people like than the people who dont (and convince some "top critics"). 98 from audience is great, you can disagree or not, but people like it.

But the saddest things is how this forum is negative as hell. We need to wait to see how works on the box offices, but this movie is more than "decent", its objectively a sucess, no one nobody believed that a movie could be made from this IP.

Thats the most important things.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo’s Amsterdam Movie Premiere Was Swanky and Surreal

Before the latest Gran Turismo World Series live event kicked off in Amsterdam, the city hosted the premiere of the Gran Turismo movie, which tells the story of Jann Mardenborough and his experience in GT Academy...

Last edited:
(...)nobody believed that a movie could be made from this IP.
Hopefully PlayStation Studios learns from GT's quality. Games that are already 16-hour cinematic adventures are hard to compress into good movies. Uncharted (2022) turned out terribly, and it was doomed from the script stage.
Sony, put your God of War movie ambitions on the backburner and consider Patapon next.

Hopefully PlayStation Studios learns from GT's quality. Games that are already 16-hour cinematic adventures are hard to compress into good movies. Uncharted (2022) turned out terribly, and it was doomed from the script stage.
Sony, put your God of War movie ambitions on the backburner and consider Patapon next.
Uncharted should have been a show instead of a movie IMO

Twisted Metal was... fun. It's not the best, I rate it around 6.5/10 but it's surprisingly entertaining. I hope Sony can learn from both of GT and Twisted Metal for their next projects.

Uncharted is boring as hell but Twisted Metal is amazing!! I really really enjoy it. Im not fan of the IP but that show was fun and I thinks is the biggest succes from Playstation Production, even with TLOU and GT on mind.

That was another IP hard to imagine on TV, but is fire and better than the game

Just saw it at a Dolby atmos theater and was hooked! Really enjoyed it. Have to admit, I read in this forum that it exceeded some people’s expectations - but one could consider this as fanboys opinion - but after reading the bad ‘pro’ critics, I didn’t know what to expect. For me it was a watch-anyway because I am a fanboy anyways, but I really enjoyed it! Will definitely anticipate a release to rewatch!

Latest Posts

Back