Gran Turismo Toyota Gazoo Racing GT Cup Announced for 2024 Season

• Thread starter Famine
  • 371 comments
Had a really good race with some intense battling in the Catalunya. Was pretty good and managed a good place.

I logged in and did the TT at Fuji to warm up in the SF23 Formula car.
Then moved onto the Catalunya Free practice of the GAZOO GT cup, about 30mins before to prefect my time.
Bit wobbly but ok in practices.
Then focused up and tackled the qualifier, for some reason in free practice was placed 1st dunno how but ok.
Muscled up to the Qualify and it was bit botchy, coudl only get a mediocre 2nd lap as my first, I almost span out on the last corner.

Onto the Race, Start was strong made up two places, but a little shoving and ramming on the first two corners.
Tried to move forward and lost two palces back down to 10th on lap 3, so i knuckled up and kept pushing and fought up to 7th place.
Was chasing a german guy called MTR_Mac_magic and I had to use the boost to play catchup. Then it got a bit bumpy with a italian guy called Francesco driving so erratic that he pushed through to 6th. I then pitted after he did to switch to RM tyres and keep on the chase on him.

I was chasing as he started to gap me about 2-3secs on sectors and then on the final lap near the last few corners before the sharp hairpin I see him bail into the sand/gravel wall, so I captilised and pushed up to 6th position. Worked out nicely.

Finished a strong 6th and was happy with my points for now. Last two rounds to go!

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240714155711.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714160038.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714160715.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714160854.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714160939.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714164323.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714164554.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714163904.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714163925.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240714164002.jpg

Last edited:
whew GT1 is a long and intense race. It definitely takes a toll

I been practicing for this a lot but I seem to be missing just those last .2-.3 tenths of a second consistently. However I am comfortable with this current pace as it's not risky. I just needed to keep the body clean and not ruffle feathers. I thought qualy went well but I fell down to 5th. I decided to roll the dice and start with mediums. Thinking was if I stay ahead of the other medium runners, I can be in clean air when I switched to softs. Lights out and away we go :odd: (ducks for F1 copyright infringement) and it was a usual F1 like start. Once I found real estate I settled in keeping the guys behind me well........behind me duh! One of the guys ahead of me lost control and crashed so moved up to 4th. Pitted at the end of L10 for softs and turns out I was in clean air as planned. Now it was just setting qualy laps and trying to not make mistakes. I had some small mistakes here and there but nothing race ending. I did catch up to 3rd but I couldn't close the gap once I got to about a second. One of the leaders went for a 2 stop and on the last sector lost it. Managed to pick up 3rd. Realizing how much this race took out of me, and ending with 283 points I think I got the maximum I would be able to out of this combination. So I'm parking it for the night. It's nice to get a Williams (BMW) back on the podium just like the good ol days (when the V10s had the best soundtracks :sly: )

Ran the first GT1 slot (7PM EDT) in the Americas. I was in door #3 with 164 points up for grabs.

Qualifying was uneventful. I posted a time of 1:21.288, which was good for Q4.

I switched to RMs for a 1RM-29RS strategy.

tgr-rd5-start.jpg

I got a great start despite being on RMs, thanks to the boost button, and was in the lead by the big sweeping corner. By the end of lap 1, I was still holding the lead. I considered staying out for another lap or two on RMs, but I didn't want to risk being punted from behind, as I tend to brake earlier than most drivers.

I scooted into the pits for RSs, along with a couple other cars that came in to repair damage. Came out P11.

I caught up to the backmarkers sooner than I had expected, but for the most part I was able to get by them without losing too much time.

The strategy seemed to be working. By the mid-point of the race, I was up to P5 with all of the cars ahead still needing to pit. One-by-one, they did, and on lap 24, I took the lead, once again.

But there were clouds looming. For the last several laps, the driver behind had been gradually closing the gap between us. My tires were getting worn, too, of course. More than I was expecting.

By lap 28, it was clear that the front left tire was not going to last to the end of the race. The driver behind had been putting the pressure on, too, but I was able to keep to the defensive line and hold him off.

On lap 29, the tire died completely. I was still holding onto the lead, but it was clear affecting my pace now. On the final lap, I gave up the lead. He was able easily get by me on the outside.
tgr-rd5-slipping.jpg

I took it home for a P2 finish and 157. I'm quite happy with that! A big boost to my point total and DR.

I'm glad we have a little break until the next round. Time to focus on the Manu Cup.

I saw that, nice drive. My race was pretty uneventful as I rode alone for most of the race in 2nd. I went 17RS, 13RM. As a result of my finish I've been promoted to A+ for the first time. :D
Congrats on your rank! 13RM is commendable. I debated staying on RM after such a good start but decided to stick to what I practiced! You had great pace.

I rolled into the 9 pm CDT GT3 room with a bit of speed (1:22.5 earlier in the day) and a not-optimal plan because I had been destroying tires in testing (6 RM/14 RS starting in the back as usual). My Toyota (why not stick with the sponsoring manufacturer?) was number plate 1 in a full D/S room, with 13 points for the win (and second). Pole was out of reach at 1:21.3, but I could have had a shot at starting 2nd. Instead, I set off 16th, the 2nd of 2 drivers to not take a time.

The race was a disaster, and only 2 dropouts kept me from finishing 16th, a lap down. I spun on the medium tires a couple times, had no pace or grip even with the softs. I didn't even bother to check what 14th paid out, but I doubt I'll end up in even the bronze money as my DR took a massive and deserved hit.

Has anyone seen this before (in practice for round 6)

The GR Yaris plates on the back of the ghost car ahead have been pixelated out (sort of, depending how close the ghost car is)???

Can't see anything dodgy written on a livery?

190b5675c8d87-screenshotUrl.jpg

Slot 1: Qualified 6th and started on RM's, and fell to 7th after the start, then binned it by running wide at T3 on Lap 2 and somehow upsetting the car in the runoff area, which then spun me across to the inside where I broadsided the wall. I only got right rear suspension damage, but I didn't want to lose even more time driving around another lap to feel out the damage, so I pitted and committed to a 2-stop and bolted on Softs. Ended up finishing a distant (46s off the leader) 11th place due to being caught in traffic because the dirty air made overtaking literally impossible.

Slot 2: Qualified 9th with a pretty terrible 2nd lap after I got a penalty on my 1st by cutting T1 too much. I jumped up to 8th after the start because someone ahead got reset all the way back to the start line after they went off at T2 and didn't rejoin the track in time. I once again started on Mediums, and I soon had someone who started on Softs right behind me, but because this track sucks (which makes sense since it's always been one of the most boring, processional F1 races), I was able to hold him off with my dirty air for over 10 laps until I pitted on Lap 13 for Softs, after which I then spent the rest of the race caught in the dirty air of someone else who was now on Mediums and was unable to pass them either. I did pick up another spot when someone else binned it at that annoying right-hander before the even more annoying hairpin, so I finished 7th for 245 points.

This race was complete garbage when it had the potential to be entertaining. For most of the year they had custom slipstream to turn off dirty air for all of the high downforce races, but decide to turn it back on at a track with literally no overtaking zones??

My Manu Saturday couldn't have gone worse. 1st slot, decent lobby with 250pts on the line. Had a pretty poor race, just couldn't find speed in the Renault at all. Having a racing block or something... qualified 11th, ended 11th for 150 pts. Was sure I could do better so entered the final slot of the night. Qualified p9 and screwed up my first pit by accidentally picking hard tires again facepalm pitted lap 2 to swap to soft and never caught up. Ended last place. I was so pissed I turned my ps5 off after the race was over but before the lobby reset so I ended up with a big fat 0 pts. FML

Last edited:
Slot 1: Qualified 6th and started on RM's, and fell to 7th after the start, then binned it by running wide at T3 on Lap 2 and somehow upsetting the car in the runoff area, which then spun me across to the inside where I broadsided the wall. I only got right rear suspension damage, but I didn't want to lose even more time driving around another lap to feel out the damage, so I pitted and committed to a 2-stop and bolted on Softs. Ended up finishing a distant (46s off the leader) 11th place due to being caught in traffic because the dirty air made overtaking literally impossible.

Slot 2: Qualified 9th with a pretty terrible 2nd lap after I got a penalty on my 1st by cutting T1 too much. I jumped up to 8th after the start because someone ahead got reset all the way back to the start line after they went off at T2 and didn't rejoin the track in time. I once again started on Mediums, and I soon had someone who started on Softs right behind me, but because this track sucks (which makes sense since it's always been one of the most boring, processional F1 races), I was able to hold him off with my dirty air for over 10 laps until I pitted on Lap 13 for Softs, after which I then spent the rest of the race caught in the dirty air of someone else who was now on Mediums and was unable to pass them either. I did pick up another spot when someone else binned it at that annoying right-hander before the even more annoying hairpin, so I finished 7th for 245 points.

This race was complete garbage when it had the potential to be entertaining. For most of the year they had custom slipstream to turn off dirty air for all of the high downforce races, but decide to turn it back on at a track with literally no overtaking zones??
Funny thing was during the slot 1 race I thought it was you that bolted by me and left me in the dust on softs after T1, but it was someone else lol. But the whole guy on softs behind me and couldn't overtake me was a mirror copy of my first stint. I got lucky with clean air. After the race people were saying if you were in clean air 2 stop is the way to go..........I'm not so sure to be honest. The guy that led most of our race did a 2, he lost the lead after his 2nd pit stop and lost it and tumbled to 4th. Too risk of being in dirty air and having it derail. Pit once and survive was my gameplan.

Last edited:
Funny thing was during the slot 1 race I thought it was you that bolted by me and left me in the dust on softs after T1, but it was someone else lol. But the whole guy on softs behind me and couldn't overtake me was a mirror copy of my first stint. I got lucky with clean air. After the race people were saying if you were in clean air 2 stop is the way to go..........I'm not so sure to be honest. The guy that led most of our race did a 2, he lost the lead after his 2nd pit stop and lost it and tumbled to 4th. Too risk of being in dirty air and having it derail. Pit once and survive was my gameplan.
Had I put more thought into it, the best strategy would've been to been to start on Softs and immediately use the overtake button all the way to T1 to try to make up spots, because that's the only point in the race when passing is possible...

I also didn't even use up all of my overtake in either race because there was nowhere to use it - all the slow corners where it would actually make a difference just immediately led to more corners so the extra acceleration made no difference, and any long straights only came after high speed corners where using the overtake also made almost no difference because you were already up to speed.

all the slow corners where it would actually make a difference just immediately led to more corners so the extra acceleration made no difference, and any long straights only came after high speed corners where using the overtake also made almost no difference because you were already up to speed.
Omg so I was not the only one who wondered the same. I did not even remember about overtake button until a quarter into the race. By that time, it was already useless.

Last edited:
Omg so I was not the only one who wondered the same. I did not even remember about overtake button until a quarter into the race. By that time, it was already useless.
Pick your fail poison...mine was not mapping the handbrake for a grid start...

Trying to launch these with the brake pedal and the reactions of a 44 year old racing the second fastest car class.

It went well...

There was also the fact that if you were close enough to the car in front to even think about trying to pass, you would just lose half a second in the next corner from dirty air, so using overtake at that point would only serve to bring you back into the front car's dirty air just in time for the next corner where you'd just lose another half a second...

I was a mid-D DR driver, and now am a low-D one. Hence, the "about as slow (as B-spec Bob) too" in the signature.
Wasn't a criticism of you mate but the points system.

We all race in the divisions they give us. No judgement on my part just think that the points are pretty poor for some of the leagues/lobbies when they put in the same effort we do, doing the races.

Had I put more thought into it, the best strategy would've been to been to start on Softs and immediately use the overtake button all the way to T1 to try to make up spots, because that's the only point in the race when passing is possible...

I also didn't even use up all of my overtake in either race because there was nowhere to use it - all the slow corners where it would actually make a difference just immediately led to more corners so the extra acceleration made no difference, and any long straights only came after high speed corners where using the overtake also made almost no difference because you were already up to speed.
I mainly just used the overtake where I made mistakes or under drove a corner to mask my mistakes hehe

Pick your fail poison...mine was not mapping the handbrake for a grid start...
I catapulted from 12th on the grid to 5th by first corner exit. A lot of drivers struggled with the start and it was just the simple GT2 launch. And I was not even using handbrake as I did not remember the button for it. :odd:

Never needed overtake button there, lol.
There was also the fact that if you were close enough to the car in front to even think about trying to pass, you would just lose half a second in the next corner from dirty air
Yes! Another excellent point which I also had observed in the race but had forgotten to mention. After two corners of wasted boost, I just sat behind someone until they inevitably crashed into someone else.
I mainly just used the overtake where I made mistakes or under drove a corner to mask my mistakes hehe
Same! :D

If you're doing the next round, it might be wise to get some Daily Race A (Yaris at Tsukuba) in this week - the GR Yaris has always been a bit of an odd duck to drive in this game so getting some live racing laps in it could be good practice.
It could help but also don't forget the physics change coming in the update before the next round, I have a feeling it may make some changes to 4wd cars

the GR Yaris has always been a bit of an odd duck to drive in this game
Oh, good. I thought it was just me.

Mind you, I'm sitting at the bottom of my friends list in Free Practice, so it probably is mostly me.
It could help but also don't forget the physics change coming in the update before the next round, I have a feeling it may make some changes to 4wd cars
I sure hope it is for the better, because I don't think I could handle it being any tougher to drive.

Now that Manu Cup is done, I've had a chance to do a couple full-length custom races with the Yaris at Grand Valley. It looks like there is not going to be any strategy to it. Just drive fast. Fuel and tires easily last the full race. The mandatory pit is for getting out of traffic or repairing damage.

Judging by the shadows on the track, the time of day in Free Practice is between Early Morning and Late Morning. I feel like Late Morning is the closest approximation if you are setting up a custom race.

Latest Posts

Back