GT4 European Cup | Champion: R1600Turbo !

• Thread starter Adam41
  • 605 comments
That awful formation lap completely ruined any focus I had. I was hitting pretty much every wall. Wasn't going to get points anyway, so I parked it.

Not to mention how everyone was pulling away from me down the straights because I was down on power.

Sorry I couldn't make he race lads, but my router was faulty and I couldn't connect, by the way if there is a race next Saturday I won't be able to attend either although this time it's because I'm away all week

Last edited:
A few things I would like to point out:

1) We need to test people's connections to make sure that the lag-induced pileup at the start doesn't happen again.

2) Some more testing needs to be done to make sure the cars are even over the course of a whole race, not just a few hot laps. My car was seriously down on power compared to the leaders. I think the exhaust parts that were taken off last night need to be re-installed. Not to mention I'll be getting rewards weight for finishing 2nd, even though that only happened because the two guys ahead of me made a mistake...

3) Guys that qualify in the back of the pack need to wait a few laps for the guys ahead of them to sort themselves out. Fighting with them for position not only allows the leaders to pull away, it could potentially hurt both drivers in the long run.

1) We need to test people's connections to make sure that the lag-induced pileup at the start doesn't happen again.
Part of it was lag. I think one or two forgot that there is a pace lap because I got rear ended at full speed.
2) Some more testing needs to be done to make sure the cars are even over the course of a whole race, not just a few hot laps. My car was seriously down on power compared to the leaders.
I couldn't tell about my power with my Z4 as I was stuck in traffic but I was able to get up to 145 mph on the front stretch. Then again, I geared the car to account for the draft.
Not to mention I'll be getting rewards weight for finishing 2nd, even though that only happened because the two guys ahead of me made a mistake...
I was wondering what happened. Your name suddenly disappeared from the leaderboard. I thought you dropped out! :confused:
3) Guys that qualify in the back of the pack need to wait a few laps for the guys ahead of them to sort themselves out. Fighting with them for position not only allows the leaders to pull away, it could potentially hurt both drivers in the long run.
That's what I tried to do at the start and I promptly got shuffled to the rear. That's what I get for not backing up my 1:13.1 time in practice when it mattered in qualifying. :dunce:

I really need to practice over-braking someone in a corner. My slow-in fast-out style coupled with the crazy slipstream isn't going to get me anywhere.

I have no idea what happened at the start of the formation lap. The entire incident was shrouded in smoke, and I didn't see very much! I managed to avoid most of it. It looked like it was caused by a couple of people not realising that the 1st lap was the formation lap?

As R1600 says, the cars need more testing. I couldn't keep up in the Evora, and although I had a fantastic clean battle with the 370z and Corvette, I think I was holding them up a little bit. Over the course of a race, the Evora just doesn't have the straight line pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
As R1600 says, the cars need more testing. I couldn't keep up in the Evora, and although I had a fantastic clean battle with the 370z and Corvettle, I think I was holding them up a little bit. Over the course of a race, the Evora just doesn't have the straight line pace.
It looked that way to me too. The disparity of power seemed greater when I was drafting you from behind than from behind MPower's M3.

I'm out of this series, my connections sucks too much:/

Yep, sorry. It wasn't only your internet, you obviously didn't know how to start the race and formation lap.

MÜLE_9242;5464388
That awful formation lap completely ruined any focus I had. I was hitting pretty much every wall. Wasn't going to get points anyway, so I parked it.

Not to mention how everyone was pulling away from me down the straights because I was down on power.

That was unfortunate. The Maserati is very capable of keeping up with the other cars on this track. It's stability in the long corners is amazing, and it has a lot of traction. As a note, the Maserati is the third worst car in terms of straight line speed and I guess it didn't help you not having the engine broken in. Then again I don't think most other people did either. The Maserati's advantage is high speed corners and exiting low speed corners like the tight right hander at Rome. Watch me v Paginas in the Maserati and you'll see the differences in the pace of each car in different corners and each sector.

2) Some more testing needs to be done to make sure the cars are even over the course of a whole race, not just a few hot laps. My car was seriously down on power compared to the leaders. I think the exhaust parts that were taken off last night need to be re-installed. Not to mention I'll be getting rewards weight for finishing 2nd, even though that only happened because the two guys ahead of me made a mistake...

1. I think most of the problem was 13ertram. Everyone else seemed to behave, but I'm not sure how we can test people's connections. Do you have any suggestions?

2. I'm really unsure why you're car is 9 BHP down... could you go in your garage and look at the mileage on your 370z for me? As for testing, I had a small upper hand due to my engine was broken in. I'll admit that. I was even going to power limit by engine by about 10 BHP, but I only remember during qualy and obviously I couldn't change my settings in that time (perhaps I should have anyway). However when I was testing at Suzuka, the only real car I saw which had tyre wear issues was the Mustang. You must realise I had to test 9 cars within 2 or 3 days, and couldn't really test each car on a long stint. As I said before, no cars really stood out as having bad front or rear tyre wear.

As for the 370z, even with 356 bhp, it's very capable of setting similar times as the Mustang. After you left, I only did 3 laps with the 370z at 356 bhp and I did a 1:13.0xx. Both parts definitely won't be put back on the 370z, maybe 1 will after a bit more testing. When I was hot lapping the 370z with both the mods attached, I was doing 1:12.1's and even if it did have bad tyre wear (which I don't think it does) that's still half a second if not a bit more per lap faster than all of the other cars.

3. Agreed. I'll watch the replay, and if anyone wants to report anyone for constantly hitting the barriers or for agressive driving then please PM me.

As R1600 says, the cars need more testing. I couldn't keep up in the Evora, and although I had a fantastic clean battle with the 370z and Corvettle, I think I was holding them up a little bit. Over the course of a race, the Evora just doesn't have the straight line pace.

You PM'd me saying you was down on pace with your DS3. I said to you that the Evora has the best tyre wear, as in it's tyres don't wear at all, and the car isn't very good on the straights. With this in mind, I suggested you switch to a car which was better in the straights to keep up with everyone, because you couldn't get the most out of your car in the corners with your DS3. The Evora is on pace over a lap and it has little tyre wear. Over the course of a race, it will have greater pace over it's rivals than just over 1 laps. Sorry, you have no argument.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for everyone, but I tried my best. I'll do some more testing for next week...

--

As for the race, thanks to Johny and Pag for the racing. Unlucky Pag that you crashed into Johny. I guess you're disappointed RT because you didn't really have anyone to race the whole race (after you pulled away from the main pack) and when you did catch up Pag and Johny, you were gifted 2nd place and now you have ballast weight for the next race. I guess that's just racing, don't really know what to say about that.

Last edited:
Wow. Aderrrm, chill out. Your comments don't come across in the calmest of lights.
I was merely stating my observations from the race. Rome is more of a 'power' circuit anyway. Another circuit may give slightly different results.

With regard to point 3 raised by R1600 - I tried to avoid the incident on the formation lap. However, I tried to resume my starting position of 8th on the back straight, but ended up 7th.

I don't mean to come across like that, but it's quite annoying how no one on this thread has even said oh thanks for the race... or whatever. The cars do need to be tested more, agreed. You can't say I didn't warn you about the Evora being rubbish on the straights though And I'm just saying that over the course of the race the Evora most probably has a better chance of winning. Like I said though, the Evora requires more skill in the corners than any other car to make the most of it's potential.

I'm really unsure why you're car is 9 BHP down... could you go in your garage and look at the mileage on your 370z for me? As for testing, I had a small upper hand due to my engine was broken in. I'll admit that. I was even going to power limit by engine by about 10 BHP, but I only remember during qualy and obviously I couldn't change my settings in that time (perhaps I should have anyway). However when I was testing at Suzuka, the only real car I saw which had tyre wear issues was the Mustang. You must realise I had to test 9 cars within 2 or 3 days, and couldn't really test each car on a long stint. As I said before, no cars really stood out as having bad front or rear tyre wear.

I'm B-Specing it right now so hopefully it'll break in soon. Maybe it was just my tune as I have absolutely no freaking clue what I'm doing in that department. I usually rely on my driving skills which are supposedly good. (I did make USA GT Academy for some reason...) I could sit there all day and come nowhere near a 12.1xx in that car. Just wouldn't happen.

Looking at it now, you could say my car is pretty even with almost all the other cars, but I will say that the Mustang you are driving needs some changes.

I don't mean to come across like that, but it's quite annoying how no one on this thread has even said oh thanks for the race... or whatever.
Where are my manners? Then let me be the first, then. Thanks for the race! 👍

So, where are we going next?

I did say thanks when we were in the lobby. I sent it around the time you were saving the replay. Didn't you say you got lag when trying to save it?

I'm B-Specing it right now so hopefully it'll break in soon. Maybe it was just my tune as I have absolutely no freaking clue what I'm doing in that department. I usually rely on my driving skills which are supposedly good. (I did make USA GT Academy for some reason...) I could sit there all day and come nowhere near a 12.1xx in that car. Just wouldn't happen.

Looking at it now, you could say my car is pretty even with almost all the other cars, but I will say that the Mustang you are driving needs some changes.
It could be the way he tuned his car. Just look at it:
My tune for the Mustang (in case anyone wants to use it but is afraid of it handling like a double-decker bus. Hopefully with my tune it will only handle like a single decker bus :D)

Ride Height: -17 / -22
Spring rates: 13.0 / 7.5
Dampers (E): 9 / 5
Dampers (C): 9 / 5
Anti-roll bars: 5 / 1
Camber: 2.0 / 1.7
Toe: -0.19 / -0.04
Brakes: 4 / 9
That screams monster understeer with trail-braking to compensate to me so maybe that's faster? :confused:

*much calmer mood*

I'll send you my tune for the 370z, although I don't think I changed it that much. That goes for everyone else too. If you want to try out my tune for your car, then I will gladly PM it you. Maybe Rome isn't your circuit RT? Hopefully the pack will be closer in races to come. On a different note, how can we test people's connections at the start of the race? I've just been watching the start and it does look pretty bad.

The Mustang, I don't know. I'll do some testing and I guess I'll have to power limit it.

Where are my manners? Then let me be the first, then. Thanks for the race! 👍

So, where are we going next?

Thanks. 👍 I changed the race calendar a bit a few hours before this race. The next track will be any original GT Track, as voted by you lot. As long as the track isn't something like High Speed Ring. I'm thinking more along the lines of GV or Deep Forest.

I did say thanks when we were in the lobby. I sent it around the time you were saving the replay. Didn't you say you got lag when trying to save it?

Sorry. My bad. God knows why it took so long to load though. Here's hoping the next race will be lag-free, the pack is closer, and everyone crosses the line within 5 seconds of each other. :D

EDIT:

It could be the way he tuned his car. Just look at it:That screams monster understeer with trail-braking to compensate to me so maybe that's faster? :confused:

The suspension values are all opposite in GT5. Stupid, I know. A lower rear end actually means more oversteer rather than the realistic lower front end. Same for the springs, dampers and anti roll bars. I think the Camber and toe are correct in GT5 though.

That screams monster understeer with trail-braking to compensate to me so maybe that's faster? :confused:

How's that monster understeer? The mustang oversteers like crazy, that just eliminates that oversteer?

Sorry I missed the race this morning :( Life got in the way :/

I must admit i laughed when we started the formation lap. I'm not too sure how I avoided it to be honest. It reminded me of the start of the LMS at Le Castellet (3rd Aprol 11), when the pace car stayed out, but the race director flicked the lights to green. Mayhem ensured as the GT cars couldn't see what was going on, came charging up the hill and found the LMP cars going rather slowly!

Replay took a while for me to save too.

How's that monster understeer? The mustang oversteers like crazy, that just eliminates that oversteer?

Sorry I missed the race this morning :( Life got in the way :/

The Mustang actually understeers alot.

It's just the suspension values are all backwards in GT5. So my setup is actually very extreme in order to cut out the understeer.

And that's no problem. 👍 Hopefully we'll see you next week. :)

---

I'm just about to update the results and standings, which can be found here.

Last edited:
Maybe Rome isn't your circuit RT? Hopefully the pack will be closer in races to come. On a different note, how can we test people's connections at the start of the race? I've just been watching the start and it does look pretty bad.

I pretty much do hate Rome. Could go as far as saying it's in the bottom few tracks I hate the most on this game. Not only is it boring, but the cobble stones don't help with traction at all.

Edit: And it's really hard to pass there too...

Well the qualifying session should have pointed anything out. Why it was ok, then the race was super laggy was pretty weird. I'd say a 2-3 lap practice race before hand just to test connections might be in order.

Aderrrm
The next track will be any original GT Track, as voted by you lot. As long as the track isn't something like High Speed Ring. I'm thinking more along the lines of GV or Deep Forest.

Grand Valley! Reverse!

Sorry I missed the race this morning :( Life Sleep got in the way :/

Fixed. :D

I did enjoy the race, especially with the vette and the Z4. We all seemed equal and really had to work hard to overtake anyone. My car had not been broken in either, but dont think it was that big of a difference. I dont know about the lighter cars, but some of the heavier cars had problems with front tires. My front left went off at lap 12 of a run and the leveled off for the rest of the run.

Grand Valley would be brilliant. Real combination of straight, corners and undulation. I don't think any particular car would have an advantage...

[If you want to try out my tune for your car, then I will gladly PM it you.[/QUOTE]
Yes please Aderrm. I'm not brilliant at tuning...... but:

The suspension values are all opposite in GT5. Stupid, I know
What? I didn't know this! This probably explains why the Evora was slower than expected...!

Last edited by a moderator:
si_berian, I'll send you my tune after I've finished watching this replay.

A few things to point out to everyone. Don't take this the wrong way and if you don't feel that I'm right then fair enough but it's just a bit of advice on shifting gears.

Paginas (GranTurismo) and w-g-e (Corvette) - Both cars have been power limited meaning their power curves are broad. You get the same power delivered from about 4750 rpm to fuel cut-off. Therefore you shouldn't be shifting at just before fuel cut off, you should be shifting at a point so that your next gear engages at 4750 rpm or just a bit after to be safe. This will allow you to benefit from the torque at the lower revs, rather than using the same amount of power later on in the rev range where the torque drops off. MULE (GranTurismo) is a good example of how to shift in a car like this.

RT (370z) - You need to shift so that you get a little red flick of the rev limiter (7700 ish). You seemed to be shifting at around 7500 if not a bit less meaning you're next gear would be at about 6000 rpm where there's less power. Your gears seemed to be a bit high aswell. You need to be redlining 6th (with a bit of room for slipstreaming) down the home straight whereas your car wouldn't be using much of 6th. In the second corner, the long right hander for example I'm in 3rd and the tight right hander a few corners after that I'm using 2nd.

Johny and Jay (350z's) - In the 350z you need to be shifting at 8000, if not a bit higher for the lower gears. Peak power is 7500 in this car, and shifting at peak power isn't doing it any favours. Because what about the power being delivered, for example, 20 rpm after 7500? there's still pretty much 380 bhp there. Whereas if you shifted at 7500, you're next gear engages at around 6000 where there's probably only 280 bhp.

si_berian (Evora) - Peak power is 6800 and stays pretty flat to 7300. You need to be shifting at 7000 if not a bit later. You seemed to be shifting at 6500, sometimes a bit more, which isn't hitting peak power.

MPower and KWZX10 (M3's) - about right but you could be shifting a bit later. Peak power is 8600, so you should be shifting just after that (seeing as the power drops quite a bit to 9100).

outlaw (Z4 M Coupe) - I think you need to be shifting a bit later, as you seem to be shifting at 8000, sometimes a bit less. I think peak power on the Z4 is 8600? Can't remember exactly.

This is information based off the replay. Lag might be lieing saying you're shifting at actually the right time and I might have just wrote all of this for no reason. :lol: But I hope it helps, and of course you don't have to take this advice.

RT (370z) - You need to shift so that you get a little red flick of the rev limiter (7700 ish). You seemed to be shifting at around 7500 if not a bit less meaning you're next gear would be at about 6000 rpm where there's less power. Your gears seemed to be a bit high aswell. You need to be redlining 6th (with a bit of room for slipstreaming) down the home straight whereas your car wouldn't be using much of 6th. In the second corner, the long right hander for example I'm in 3rd and the tight right hander a few corners after that I'm using 2nd.

I shift at redline in all my cars. Habbit I guess. Also, I had my car geared so that I topped out at redline in 5th, so I didn't have to downshift twice going into the kink. Was easier to go from 5th to 4th instead of 6th to 4th.

I shift at redline in all my cars. Habbit I guess. Also, I had my car geared so that I topped out at redline in 5th, so I didn't have to downshift twice going into the kink. Was easier to go from 5th to 4th instead of 6th to 4th.

Ah fair enough. 👍

Results and Standings.

The second sheet of that link will be ballast to keep track of who has what ballast. I'll do that tomorrow.

---

About the race, some people seemed to be using the barriers too often. You shouldn't consider hitting the barrier as you're normal racing line, regardless of whether you benefited from doing so. No penalties will be given out this week, but it's a warning for next week's race.

That's due to the front tyre wear of the Corvette. I got huge understeer when on the last couple of laps.

Right.

Had fantasic race with Aderrm, however because of the start my net connection somehow didnt want to connect with Johny for whole race, for the start it was quite annoying, having his bright yellow car bouncing around everywhere, but after a few laps i just forgot about him and just kept to my racing line (lucky no incidents happend then).

So anyway having great battle with Aderrm (plus Johny) got infront for pits which was great, on outlap i was too cautious and i got caught up straight away.

I was still forgeting about Johny untill the last corner and BANG, this was 1st crash, we made contact, losing the slipstream on Aderrm, then a few laps later BANG another crash in the same place, i looked behind and saw Johny stuck to a wall (LOL), so i thought i best wait, BUT NO bad decision, on the last 4 laps on the 1st few corners i was behind him and his car was jumping all over the place, i should of just forgot about him and kept line but didnt, i swerved and spun car DAMN i thought.

Well that was the end of my race

I think i could of deffo got 2nd place with the GranTurismo or even 1st, but not sure as its a long striaght till the finish line.

Its a great car

Plus Aerrm im still using Auto Gears as im kinda new to wheel, ive been trying Manual but cannot get used to it, i will try some day lol

ALSO im not having ago Johny as we raced yesturday and it was fine, so somthing was right, maybe the start with all that weird thing going on just **** it up, but seemed to be great racing

Apologies if I was one of them Aderrrn. I tried to avoid them, and didn't use them intentionally.

Thinking back to the start. I managed to get severe wheel and engine damage towards the end of the formation lap due to someone lagging into me big time!

I wonder if part of it was to do with the 'busy' nature of the track environment, and relatively narrow track?

MPower and KWZX10 (M3's) - about right but you could be shifting a bit later. Peak power is 8600, so you should be shifting just after that (seeing as the power drops quite a bit to 9100).

Good notice, in tracks like rome a tend to shift a little early, i need to find the best timing before madrid lol
Talking about the race, the start ruined it but we have a good potential in this cup, and also your work in making the performance similar is good i think.
Talking about my race, i've sucked :ill:, but our setup was good looking at Mpower result, i had to be there with him but hey, it's a race so i'm not going to complain, i have to do my best on the next one now : P
(..I agree for grand valley, also. Reverse or not, is amazing anyway)
So, thank you everyone, expecially mr. aderrrm for this good idea

Back