GT4 European Cup | Champion: R1600Turbo !

• Thread starter Adam41
  • 605 comments
Thanks for the race Adam.

I didnt do particularly well but had a little battle with siberian!

Thanks for the advice aswell I am so new to all this but really want to get my driving sorted and become competitive.

I didnt actually get a chance to tune my car because I was so late so hopefully I will improve my setup.

I vote Deep forrest!

Cheers.

The suspension values are all opposite in GT5. Stupid, I know. A lower rear end actually means more oversteer rather than the realistic lower front end. Same for the springs, dampers and anti roll bars. I think the Camber and toe are correct in GT5 though.
I went ahead and swapped my springs (I had 8.5 forward and 10.0 rear). It is a little better AND it's plowing less under braking. Now THAT I like. :)
Grand Valley! Reverse!

I did enjoy the race, especially with the vette and the Z4. We all seemed equal and really had to work hard to overtake anyone. My car had not been broken in either, but dont think it was that big of a difference. I dont know about the lighter cars, but some of the heavier cars had problems with front tires. My front left went off at lap 12 of a run and the leveled off for the rest of the run.
Same here. I lost ground early and found speed in my Z4 as I got into clean air. Exciting stuff!
outlaw (Z4 M Coupe) - I think you need to be shifting a bit later, as you seem to be shifting at 8000, sometimes a bit less. I think peak power on the Z4 is 8600? Can't remember exactly
Noted. I use bumper cam and the tach tells me redline is around 8000. Force of habit.

I really need to work on not getting passed by everyone at the start. I'm too tentative to not hit anyone and it only results in hurting myself. Also, for future reference, please note that I do tend to brake a bit earlier than most so don't think I'm deliberately brake-checking anyone.

Right.

Had fantasic race with Aderrm, however because of the start my net connection somehow didnt want to connect with Johny for whole race, for the start it was quite annoying, having his bright yellow car bouncing around everywhere, but after a few laps i just forgot about him and just kept to my racing line (lucky no incidents happend then).

So anyway having great battle with Aderrm (plus Johny) got infront for pits which was great, on outlap i was too cautious and i got caught up straight away.

I was still forgeting about Johny untill the last corner and BANG, this was 1st crash, we made contact, losing the slipstream on Aderrm, then a few laps later BANG another crash in the same place, i looked behind and saw Johny stuck to a wall (LOL), so i thought i best wait, BUT NO bad decision, on the last 4 laps on the 1st few corners i was behind him and his car was jumping all over the place, i should of just forgot about him and kept line but didnt, i swerved and spun car DAMN i thought.

Well that was the end of my race

I think i could of deffo got 2nd place with the GranTurismo or even 1st, but not sure as its a long striaght till the finish line.

Its a great car

Plus Aerrm im still using Auto Gears as im kinda new to wheel, ive been trying Manual but cannot get used to it, i will try some day lol

ALSO im not having ago Johny as we raced yesturday and it was fine, so somthing was right, maybe the start with all that weird thing going on just **** it up, but seemed to be great racing

sorry paginas, but i couldn't anything about it you lagged on my screen aswell thats why i just stick to 3rd place, but congrats Aderrrm fantastic race.

I'd be interested to see the formation lap incident from someone else's point of view. I still haven't been able to work out exactly what happened from mine. There are cars lagging all over the shop, and apparently teleporting around the track too!

I hope I didn't appear to laggy?

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to next week's race. :D

As for the start, there was just some major lag which made everyone spin out randomly and hit each other and the barriers. That's how it looks from my replay anyway. I don't think the lag was anyone's fault in particular. Thank God we weren't using heavy damage. :lol: I think next race we will wait 10 seconds on the grid before moving off, along with a 2 lap lag-check practice race just before Qualifying starts.

Here's the table to keep track of who has what ballast: Ballast Table.

(You can switch between that and the Results and Standings by clicking on each sheet on the bottom left hand corner.)

Guys, I'm sorry that I couldn't compete in yesterday's race. It's kinda queer that every time I have a race series, I get kicked off by my parents. I have no clue how next week will go.

It might be worth doing some formation lap practise, as many (myself included) have never experience this type of start on GT5.

It's either a grid start, or a computer controlled rolling start - where the cars are far to spread out for it to be realistic!

Yeah okay. The reason we don't do a rolling start where it's double file and in each row, each car is side by side is because the slipstream in GT5 is too exagerated and unrealistic. This would mean the front row cars would get overtaken by the second row cars because the second row is actually closer to the front row when rolling in formation at 62 mph. So it should be staggered and should look something like this:

Grid2.jpg

People were too close to each other's rear ends in yesterday's rolling start, but it wasn't bad (apart from the 3 second gap which emerged mid-pack near the last few corners...)

As long as everyone takes it easy, sticks exactly to 62 mph, and only puts hits foot down when you see one the polesitter put his foot down then it should be alright.

The diagram you have posted is how I understood the formation lap, and how I expected it to look. It is probably the best compromise we can have, since there is no real sense of other cars around you.

apart from the 3 second gap which emerged mid-pack near the last few corners

I think that may have been who caused that. I was trying to stick to 62mph, but the gap opened up for some reason. I think I was trying to avoid getting caught up any start line lag induced chaos.....

Last edited by a moderator:
So, whats the voting numbers for the next round? I know that other series I have done with formation laps, no one leaves at the start and then we leave one by one.

So, whats the voting numbers for the next round? I know that other series I have done with formation laps, no one leaves at the start and then we leave one by one.

I don't quite follow. Are you saying you do single file?

I don't quite follow. Are you saying you do single file?

For most of the lap, yes. Then before the last corner, we all lined up double file for the start. Its easier to keep up with everyone and cleaner for us DS3 users.
Its pretty much exactly like how Formula 1 does their formation laps.

Thing is I want us to do a rolling start as in the real GT4 European Cup. However if we considered doing a standing start in grid positions, I think we might aswell just start the race like that and not have a formation lap.

There are other advantages to rolling starts too: The war for the first corner has less problems and less crashes.
Of course, rolling starts are hard to implement. I don't really care what happens...

Thing is I want us to do a rolling start as in the real GT4 European Cup. However if we considered doing a standing start in grid positions, I think we might aswell just start the race like that and not have a formation lap.

I dont want the standing start. Like you said, the rolling start works, but I was referring to the formation lap. Nobody leaves when the it says start. We wait a couple of seconds, then one by one we take off and do the formation lap single file. Then, we get back to double file before the final corner and we should be all colse for the rolling start.

For most of the lap, yes. Then before the last corner, we all lined up double file for the start. Its easier to keep up with everyone and cleaner for us DS3 users.
Its pretty much exactly like how Formula 1 does their formation laps.

Like how the LMES does its rolling starts :sly:

Yes, that's exactly how I want it too. I got taken over way too many times in the formation lap.

Alright fair enough. 👍

I think the only reason that people got overtaken in the formation lap was because of all that lag and everyone paniced. :P

When the countdown reaches zero, do not move. The polesitter will wait for 10 seconds on the grid before moving off. The others cars will slowly move off afterwards, forming a single file line. Everyone should keep at an exact pace of 50 mph / 80 kmh. You should not weave in order to warm up your tyres. Towards the final few corners (will be stated where exactly on race day) of the single file formation lap, cars will move into a staggered double file. Odd numbers will start on the inside line according to turn 1 (the line of the polesitter), even numbers will start on the outside line according to turn 1.

I've reduced the speed from 62 mph to 50 mph if we are doing it this way, so that people will be able to form double file easier.

Is everyone happy with this?

Alright fair enough. 👍

I think the only reason that people got overtaken in the formation lap was because of all that lag and everyone paniced. :P

When the countdown reaches zero, do not move. The polesitter will wait for 10 seconds on the grid before moving off. The others cars will slowly move off afterwards, forming a single file line. Everyone should keep at an exact pace of 50 mph / 80 kmh. You should not weave in order to warm up your tyres. Towards the final few corners (will be stated where exactly on race day) of the single file formation lap, cars will move into a staggered double file. Odd numbers will start on the inside line according to turn 1 (the line of the polesitter), even numbers will start on the outside line according to turn 1.

I've reduced the speed from 62 mph to 50 mph if we are doing it this way, so that people will be able to form double file easier.

Sounds good to me, looking forward to next week, hopefully will be lag free :sly:

Alright fair enough. 👍

Sounds like a plan to me. 👍

Sounds more complicated than it was before.

Same here, with the single file going into double file and what not. But majority rules. :P

--

We will do 2 practice races before Qualifying next Saturday, both 2 laps each. 1 lap formation lap, 1 lap race leading on from the formation lap. Just because it's only 1 lap however doesn't mean you shouldn't be agressive and make contact with everyone.

Where ever the grid places you in each of these practice races, you must follow the formation lap procedure as explained above. The polesitter should wait 10 seconds before moving off.

--

Done a bit more testing in terms of straight line speeds. I'll do the tyre wear testing during next week. Changes:

Car: speed at end of Rome straight (mph) - changes in mods

Mustang: 147.5 (before 30 bhp was removed with limiter, see below)
Z4 M: 146 - power limiter is now 95.7% (power has been reduced)
350z: 146 - racing air filter and sports exhaust manifold have been removed.
Corvette: 145
M3: 144
370z: 144
GranTurismo: 144 - power limiter is now 83.6% (power has been reduced)
Evora: 142.5 - sports intake manifold added
Camaro: 142 - power limiter is now 83.0% (power has been increased)

I took 25 or 30 BHP off of the Mustang, down to about 395 BHP. I forgot to write down the figures so I'll update it tomorrow.

Mustang with 30 bhp removed: 145

Last edited:
What was wrong exactly with the formation lap before? I think it worked fine except for the lag induced pileup, which hopefully won't happen again.

Thanks for the car changes Aderrrm.

Nothing, I don't think. That's what I'm saying. It works perfectly fine in the WSGTC at 55 mph. Maybe it should stay the same but speed should just be reduced to 50 mph / 80 kmh.

Latest Posts

Back