GT4 WRS Week 113 : AMG Touring Car @ Infineon Raceway

• Thread starter Sjaak
  • 123 comments
Effective 25 June gtbadboy will be "AWOL" until September. Painful, to say the least but, unavoidable. :grumpy:

DJ: I expect you to stay on top of Div III if not Div II and look forward to running you down when I return. I will miss our rivalry. 👍

Sphinx and Sjaak: Thank you for all your kindness and help in making me a better driver but, I will return eh? 👍

To the rest of the WRS crew: This has been great fun and I will miss the banter and the "B. S." over the next few months. (unless things change here). Give Sjaak all your support 'cause IMHO he's doing a great job and deserves it!! See you all in Sept. if not sooner. :cheers:

Your competitive spirit will be missed. Come back whenever you can make it. We'll be here. Hope all is well!

I wish this were in GT mode - I'd seriously get another second out of this lap if I could change the differentials.

My final T's:

Ive had enough.

For those of you interested, here is a VEXD lap round Infineon, using 260 gearing, all from memory. (ive bin round enuff bloody times now i should remember it :grumpy:)

From the start of a fresh session, approach the hairpin, then turn hard in third and full throttle out to give yourself an extra fast straight. Keep close to the left hand wall where it kinx, making the straight straighter, and keep the car as straight as possible as long as possible to accelerate faster, making sure to go for 6th at 125MPH.
Hit the line at 134/5MPH.
Approaching the first of the two chicanes, lift off and re-apply throttle to swing the nose in towards the kerb on the left, and as you hit it, be on the brakes and steering right, and shifting down to third simultaneously to take the right hander. I find in order to get this thing to stick, you must never have throttle on half, or it understeers, so bring the speed down for the right turn, and when its appropriate, release the brake, and floor the throttle, running the right hand kerb if possible, and also possibly grabbing 4th to stabilize the car as you leave the turn to head for the next uphill chicane.
You should be in 5th when you brake just slightly to narrowly run the next left hand kerb and I hit 4th mid-turn to get the nose to stick, again with some braking, depends on your line, but do turn in early to catch the flat part of the right hand kerb over the crest ( not the bit that launches you into space), and grab 5th to stabilize as you ride the left hand lap saver kerb at T1.

3rd gear and full-lift-full to take the right hander after T1, remember VEXD says half throttle will give you understeer, and accelerate round the long right hander up the hill some more, remembering to change to 6th at 125MPH for maximum acceleration.
As you hit the crest, you should be steering left from the right hand side of the course, and bringing the car over to brake in a straight line as far around the turn as possible. Down to 4th and once you know you can hit full throttle and the car will pull all the way round, then go for it, grabbing 5th to stabilize as you exit. (i use the supports of the bridge as a sighting point for full gas)
6th at 125MPH students! (this is 260 gearing)
there is a dark area on the track, where the braking point is for the double right, and just after i pass it, im heading diagonally across the track from left to right, braking in a straight line down to 3rd gear for the first right of the two.
Once full throttle can be applied, do so, just missing the raised green/turquoise kerb on the right, and grab 4th to stabilize the exit of the turn.
Stay right, and cut the first of the two bits of kerb in the way, but miss the second, which bounces you, as you swing her in left to ride the kerb on the left, by lifting off to get the turn in. Youve passed T2 by now.
By keeping slightly left here, you are enabling full throttle and straightening the following right turn, which you should find you can run the right-hand kerb of, grabbing 6th as you do, flat-out down the hill.
If you got it right, you may run the slightest bit of left hand kerb that appears on the edge of the big expanse of grass as you accelerate towards the final two corners.
Remember what VEXD said about understeer and half throttle?
The fast sweeper right which leads down to the hairpin can be anticipated and cut nicely at a high speed (though not as high as Mr P's:tup: or holl's:tup:, if youre VEXD:tdown::grumpy:) by guessing how the car will understeer, turning in too early, and using that understeer to get round the turn, which isnt really a turn unless you make it one. Hope you all follow me there.
The final hairpin, when i get alongside the first of the cones on the left, i hit the brakes, down to 3rd, and give full throttle almost immediately as the ass slides round, and you narrowly miss the wall on the left, remembering to change earlyish and straighten the bent-straight as much as possible, hitting 6th at 125MPH, and the line at some time or other.

Hope that gives you all something to read.
Now please, someone, tell me where i'm going wrong...

Good luck to all

:irked:👍

T1 - :17.668
T2 - :53.822
Final - .213 from a big barrier I'd love to cross....

I got new splits, using 290 gearing, can't seem to get along with anything shorter.

T1 17.510 (Seen high 17.4s :()
T2 53.844 (Blew a 53.746 :ouch:)

And Final, is exactly like Jerome's I think, .213 away from a barrier I'd love to cross too, assuming it's the same barrier he's thinking of! :mischievous:

Cheers Vexd! The 125 isn't a number I was familiar with, but then again, I may be, I wasn't been looking at my speeds. Your walk through sounds about spot on... I can't think too much right now, have to clean up the house for a party in an hour, but I'll see if I can figure out where you're being too conservative.

Glad to see alot of the people Ive raced with over the past summers are still here!

Whew!!!! I just finished up a long and intensive session but I am satisfied for the night!

T1: 17.626
T2: 53.759

This is with 250 gearing.

I must say it is very satisfying to plow through those helpless cones on a hot lap!

Also is it just me or does this car seem super fast in replays, but in actual driving it seems slower?

Anyway good car this week, it feels like its on rails which is frustrating actually because I can only blame my msitakes on a lack of talent and not on the car!

Also is it just me or does this car seem super fast in replays, but in actual driving it seems slower?

the car always seems faster in the replays because its usually screaming past a stationary vantage point for the camera. doesnt seem as fast when you're traveling along with the car. dig??👍

LU up to post 101. i see that 13 racers are within one second of each other and 13 more (!) within the next second! incredible close racing mates 👍

what a list! 2 more racers and it'll be too long to fit the screen 👍

seems like our new steward must be doing something right :) 👍

After about an hour total:

T1 - :17.468
T2 - :53.564
Final :D
Submitted.

Jerome

LB Updated, somehow JJ74 got my splits, lol. And nice improvement wally, great T1!

Jerome

wow some great splits. I may have to submit my time as I have no more time to try to better mine. Going to an autocross tomorrow, and will have to submit afterwards I think. It's been a blast.

Thanks, I'll have another chance at it tomorrow. Also:tup: for the LU. I can't wait to see the final results.

I took out 4 cones on this lap. Tell me that's OK...

17.551 / 53.647

same exact T2 as superwally.

Jαke;2696373
I took out 4 cones on this lap. Tell me that's OK...

17.551 / 53.647

same exact T2 as superwally.

the race specs say: All paved areas regardless of lines and cones...you're a ok buddy.👍

Bit of an improvement, although I had a terrible left hand sweeper before the mini-straight and my final hairpint wasn't so great. So overall I lost at least .2-.3 at the line, and probably .15 by T2. But this is it for tonight.

Finally found some more time to give this great combo. I did about 20 laps, all around the same time as my best up to then, but I just couldn't improve, no matter what I tried.

I was about to call it a day, when out of the blue came this lap in which I felt I nailed the most of the corners. I was 1.1 secs up on my T2, but lost a bit of time in the fast righthander before the 180 :crazy: Still knocked 0.7 sec of my total though :)

T1: 18.001
T2: 54.656

New Splits - Updated!

T1 18.092
T2 55.877

Hit the line nearly 3 seconds quicker than my last splits. :)

I'm at work tonight so I'll get another few laps in during my teabreaks.

@ OnlyMe & DJ - This is gonna be close for 2nd. I think Imfaster2! is a little out of reach though.

@ Ron - Hope everything is Ok. Take care!

Submitted my time as I aint been on my ps2 since my last update 👍
with more work and a new console to play on in my freetime ... I'm not really sure if I will be racing the next few weeks either ... but good luck to all in advance anyway :cheers:
Cheers
Ron.

I'll have to put in a serious session tonight or tomorrow morning then... :sly:
wow some great splits. I may have to submit my time as I have no more time to try to better mine. Going to an autocross tomorrow, and will have to submit afterwards I think. It's been a blast.
What do you autox? Post up in the WRS Rides thread! :)

Best splits so far tonight, still need to improve how I handle the hairpin that follows the straight after the right hand sweeper.

another 45 minute session yeilded a clean time with splits of 17.275, 53.043, time submitted, nice combo, cheers.

Well, I've run as much as I can today and cut .250 from my final lap time. The only problem is my splits for that fast lap: 17.724/53.930. More than likely this will be my final entry. Great week.

Best splits so far tonight, still need to improve how I handle the hairpin that follows the straight after the right hand sweeper.

I think we'll see you where you belong soon... :sly:👍👍

Time to start my second session... I'm a bit tired, so I may have to come back to it tomorrow morning before the deadline.

I think we'll see you where you belong soon... :sly:👍👍

Time to start my second session... I'm a bit tired, so I may have to come back to it tomorrow morning before the deadline.

Well my submitted splits ended up being 17.407 and 53.468. Not my best, but still another tenth off at the line. So not worth losing sleep over it, although well, not TOO much sleep.

Time submitted! Same lap as my last update. I had fun with this one I didnt put in too much time, but I feel like I put in a competative effort so I am happy! Now back to Scarface on my Wii!!!

posted my time also. not to bad for my first race here. good combo and i really enjoy driving this car. good luck to the rest of ya'll, especially the other Div3 drivers. btw...Bigracer...how ya doin buddy?? still wanna eat some of your cookin sometime! cya 👍

Back